Page 23 of 58 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, things need to start happening soon. Hernandez was saying things were "advanced" before the SuperDraft two weeks ago. Also of note is that Liga MX and South American league contracts usually expire today (January 1st).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    We have a real live league game next month Others may have been doing so already but for me, tomorrow JH squared are on the clock.
    Tick tock, tick tock, the JH’s have been on my clock since DEC25! They’ve got a two month countdown…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, today, La Stampa re.: Fede…

‘Federico Bernardeschi, Toronto FC midfielder born in 1994, is "pushing" to return to the Juventus shirt: as reported by "La Stampa", the player would not have set any particular contractual conditions to return to Juventus in January, also giving his availability to a dry loan lasting 6 months. Even the Canadian club would not oppose it, given that MLS is currently at a standstill.’

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Yeah, things need to start happening soon. Hernandez was saying things were "advanced" before the SuperDraft two weeks ago. Also of note is that Liga MX and South American league contracts usually expire today (January 1st).
    I think the reality here is TFC is way down the pecking order. Playing for a team that’s finished bottom table for multiple years and has unresolved issues won’t be high on anyone’s list.

So basically, we wait while the top end of the market fills out and then try to do our best with what’s left over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I think the reality here is TFC is way down the pecking order. Playing for a team that’s finished bottom table for multiple years and has unresolved issues won’t be high on anyone’s list.

So basically, we wait while the top end of the market fills out and then try to do our best with what’s left over.
    I can honestly see Herdman saying "Don't rush it, find the right guys."

He'll have an entire system or two to teach to the team we've got, and I imagine that's his priority right now. No matter what we do with our open slots, we have 21 (?) guys under contract.

I'm hoping we see a 343 or variants. It's more open, quicker, less inclined to see us trapped up and down the sidelines.

If we can get a couple of wide speed pieces (and Spicer might be one, I imagine), a DM and a line leader at the back, we'll at least be starting off with something more workable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far the only things I’ve heard both JHs say involved playing with wingbacks, expecting “a lot of joy on the flanks” and fixing the defence by the use of three at the back and a “low intensity build up”.

In time, when he has some of his players, I’d be surprised if Herdman restricted them to one or two formations.

One thing not often mentioned on this board is that while our roster still looks depressingly familiar, Herdman brought pretty much all of his staff with him from keeper coach and psychology person to first assistant. If everyone is competent/good that should help, including, I’m really hoping, reducing or putting an end to Lower Leg FC.

(And then there is Dunfield, who’s time was as dismal as it gets and I could do without seeing behind the bench… but at least Herdman has worked with him with Canada and hopefully he has been given a role he can handle.)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, for the final game, Dunfield was the "lets keep the guys moving & motivated during the warmup" coach - that role usually goes to a fitness guy so that was different. He then sat further down on the bench front row (4th or so).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Dunfield even part of the organization any longer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Is Dunfield even part of the organization any longer?
    Yes, he's an assistant coach
    https://www.torontofc.ca/news/toront...rst-team-staff (final paragraph)
    Last edited by rydermike; 01-02-2024 at 07:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be nice if we were in the frame for Djordje Mihailovic, who is coming back to MLS from the Eredivisie.

He apparently said it's to get closer to family; Chicago's not that far from TO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Be nice if we were in the frame for Djordje Mihailovic, who is coming back to MLS from the Eredivisie.

He apparently said it's to get closer to family; Chicago's not that far from TO.
    That would be very nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was gonna post the same thing. He is a top 20 MLS player. I just don't think he fits here in our current situation. Chances are he falls under the same situation that Richie (who Vancouver doesn't seem eager to commit to) does where he will require a transfer fee and a salary well over a million making him a full DP for a year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was gonna post the same thing. He is a top 20 MLS player. I just don't think he fits here in our current situation. Chances are he falls under the same situation that Richie (who Vancouver doesn't seem eager to commit to) does where he will require a transfer fee and a salary well over a million making him a full DP for a year.
    According to Tom Bogert “ No deal done yet with a ton of teams interested, strongest of which includes: Portland Timbers, Colorado Rapids, Chicago Fire and more.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be nice if we were in the frame for Djordje Mihailovic, who is coming back to MLS from the Eredivisie. He apparently said it's to get closer to family; Chicago's not that far from TO.
    Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    That would be very nice.
    Agree, with all; be great if TFC were in the frame for Djordje Mihailovic. Also, still believe TFC is the first choice destination of Richie Laryea; especially if Federico Bernardeschi moves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Yes, he's an assistant coach
    https://www.torontofc.ca/news/toront...rst-team-staff (final paragraph)
    Appreciate and am aware of this. Was hoping for some sort of other confirmation anytime after the 14DEC23.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-02-2024 at 09:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree, with all; be great if TFC were in the frame for Djordje Mihailovic. Also, still believe TFC is the first choice destination of Richie Laryea; especially if Federico Bernardeschi moves.
    How much would it be for Richie I'm not over paying is the first question. Second is we have Franklin I was really impressed with him at RB, what position we putting Richie ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    Personally I think a shift to a 3-4-2-1 would likely help us utilize the Italian duo the best. Give them the middle of the park. Use wingbacks to generate width. Keep the Italians close together near goal.

If you can orchestrate good attack patterns for them, every one will know where to be, and when to be there, they should be able to pull the strings. Really the most lacking thing last year was structure and repeatability. They were playing like they were on a playground. Doing whatever they thought might work in the moment.
    100%, I was praying someone last year would have the sense to at least try the 3421, especially while Laryea was around. Seemed like an obvious way to potentially get the two DPs going. Assuming the Italians stick around, really hoping Herdman tries it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    How much would it be for Richie I'm not over paying is the first question. Second is we have Franklin I was really impressed with him at RB, what position we putting Richie ?
    Franklin did a respectable job last year, but if Herdman is to try three-back formations, he'll need wingbacks with more more attacking punch than Franklin.

I really didn't want to see Laryea re-signed last year, but he could be such a weapon under Herdman. I'd go as far as to say that as a full-time wingback, he's worth short-term DP money.
    Last edited by Bobo; 01-02-2024 at 10:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    For now I prefer him as a possible get. However, your question of cost/investment is more than reasonable. TBH, IDK. Especially how it works within the MLS/PA terms since he may have been on GC circa USD1.435M with TFC or if that figure may have already included a customary salary % bump to sign with VWC and whether he then is entitled to enjoy another customary salary % bump by re-signing with TFC; any MLS club. IIUC, this season’s overall budget increase seems negligible and by USD625K; +260K $, +360K GAM. Ideally, I would like a reverse deconstruction of Richie Laryea a la Alphonso Davis into a RW/RF; besides his RB/RWB role. Wouldn’t a forward formation in 3-4-1-2 be interesting with Lorenzo Insigne or even Dejordje Milhailovic in the hole and Richie Laryea on the right with Tyrese Spicer on the left?
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-03-2024 at 11:53 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have watched TFC year after year not make meaningful offseason moves until the last possible second. Every time, the story is about how careful we are being, how we don’t need to rush, etc…

I have come to see it as symptomatic of a management team that is new to this, and scared.

I would be glad to be proven wrong… but that isn’t the way to bet it.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    We have watched TFC year after year not make meaningful offseason moves until the last possible second. Every time, the story is about how careful we are being, how we don’t need to rush, etc…

I have come to see it as symptomatic of a management team that is new to this, and scared.

I would be glad to be proven wrong… but that isn’t the way to bet it.
    Not necessarily true. Last year we were done early.

I think the reason we are not seeing any movement so far relates to us being far down the pecking order in terms of list of options. So the “top end” of the market shakes out first and we have to come in after to take the leftovers. Our cap situation is already crappy and I’m sure that’s not helping either.

I would like to know the true status of Bradley’s buyout (because if we didn’t use it, we should have bought out someone else). I’m having memories of Osorio’s DP status debacle where our intention was magically was revealed way after the fact. MLS really needs to get its act together on disclosures and realize this is an important part of the game for fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can honestly see Herdman saying "Don't rush it, find the right guys."
    I could see that too, I just don’t know if his superiors have that kind of rope. They continue to have a lot of reason to make short sighted moves. In retrospect, what was the rush to bring in Mailula and Owusu?

My best hope for any scouting we do is Herdman’s people. They were crafty enough to find players not everyone knew about for the national team stage they could do some real good work at the club level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone understand when TFC training camp starts; players must report? There is a mention on X that it will be at the beginning of the third week of this January.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angus MacDonald is interesting. He's a career League One/SPL sort of guy, so this might be an interesting test of how well Herdman reads talent, relative to MLS requirements. If he's underestimating the league, the guy will be not quick enough, not athletic enough.

Conversely, if he's tapping contacts in England about under-rated players, or paying close attention himself, maybe he's going to be a godsend in terms of getting cheaper players in. Because my take is that a LOT of players at League One level would do very well in MLS, despite most fans here thinking it's a much higher standard.=

But he's clearly got issues settling, as he's never stayed anywhere for more than two seasons. That's rarely a good sign. It usually says "tons of potential that will never quite be reached."

I'm frankly a little surprised no one has poached Paul Mullin from Wrexham, given that he's on less than $500K a year. He's an excellent striker.

EDIT: Wow, MacDonald overcame bowel cancer while still playing. Led to a fine against his club at the time for not disclosing it during a transfer.

So maybe the movement every couple of years was just picking up better deals. He's never been out of work, anyway.
    Last edited by jloome; 01-03-2024 at 01:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Djorde for us. The floodgates are wide open in the MLS offseason now though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a decent amount of this hinges on the bernardeschi/insigne situations.

Lack of movement so far suggests sadly they are waiting for those to be resolved one way or another before committing to anything big.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone understand when TFC training camp starts; players must report? There is a mention on X that it will be at the beginning of the third week of this January.
    Yet to see a specific date from the club but Molinaro mentions "mid January".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what positive changes have been made for TFC to steer us out of last place finish again next season, is it just our prospects from the MLS draft, we have to hope they will do well in the future years but am hoping we dont put all expectations onto them or else we are bound to fail again, i havent seen enough change as of current, to steer my attitude towards doing better next season, but there is still time to be proven wrong

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yet to see a specific date from the club but Molinaro mentions "mid January".
    Season opener @ Cin is Feb 25. Doesn't leave much prep time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal is starting their camp in two weeks time. Can't see TFC starting too much later than that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    I think a decent amount of this hinges on the bernardeschi/insigne situations.

Lack of movement so far suggests sadly they are waiting for those to be resolved one way or another before committing to anything big.
    Bernie staying or going (and if going, is it a loan that gives no cap relief?) would be a big one if not already settled internally. Of the players who might especially want to come to a TFC that no-one, not even management, is expecting to turn into a winning club in one season: hometown or Herdman guys (Layrea, Crepeau - these players, however, won’t come cheap)… or others for whom MLS is a step up (or promises to be so).

edit: Crepeau might open some budget if he takes a lower Tam deal than Johnson who is then moved. What is Johnson on, something like 1.1 million? Maybe Crepeau would take six or seven hundred thousand?
    Last edited by los sonadores; 01-03-2024 at 08:26 PM.