Page 21 of 58 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suspect first moves at earliest are done Wed or Thur next week - don't move somebody over the holidays unless they want to leave where they are & go where they will be.

Training camp starts mid month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m less concerned if the moves come early or late, more interested if they get them right. We’ve seen examples of both timelines going poorly in recent years.

I’m going to stop writing this after so many times (cause I’m sure people will be annoyed reading it) but I think we are toast for this year. The same issues that have held us back with management and the team itself still exist today. In addition, we have even less cap room / flexibility than before. Nothing to look forward to really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    IMO, Cristante would be the right type of target; a very interesting one. Certainly, the exact versatility required by TFC… experienced at central defender, defensive central midfielder/a six- both destroyer and regista, as well as, an attacking midfielder- trequartista. Salary should be within an acceptable parameter; 4–6M USD. Somewhat surprised he is just/still 28 yrs old. The obvious obstacle would be that he would require a transfer fee; likely a significant one. Seems he just re-signed with Roma and has 3 1/2 yrs left and is starting/playing regularly. Given these latter circumstances, I do not believe he would be a candidate for, nor welcome, a move to MLS/TFC at this time.
    Spurs offered Roma 30 million euros for him before he resigned, and this season he’s logging the most minutes of any player in Serie A… 18th overall in world football… so, yeah, no chance there.

I’m tempted to add that the method of bloody big deal TFC - to pay massive amounts to individual players but nothing to the clubs they come from - should be a thing of the past but Messi and friends suggest otherwise. I guess as long as transfer fees are included in the salary cap, the league will not pay substantial transfer fees.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I’m less concerned if the moves come early or late, more interested if they get them right. We’ve seen examples of both timelines going poorly in recent years.

I’m going to stop writing this after so many times (cause I’m sure people will be annoyed reading it) but I think we are toast for this year. The same issues that have held us back with management and the team itself still exist today. In addition, we have even less cap room / flexibility than before. Nothing to look forward to really.
    Looking at it all reasonably, you’re probably right. Unless Hernandez can convince people to give up their contracts and leave… the fact that he mentioned this as a method suggests we are in hot water. How often do overpaid and ineffectual players give up their contracts? Or, if Herdman can somehow work magic. Of course, who knows, but in terms of winning often, I’m not expecting it.

I doubt any of the three new guys - GM, sporting director, and manager - are leaving anytime soon so at least we should be given a sense of what they’re trying to do.

edit: Just saw this article in Waking the Red… seems the bloggers are having to dig deep over this holiday season, straight into one of the running jokes on this board:

“Let’s have a look at a few things that will bring about change at the club, much of which can come straight from within.

1. Jordan Perruzza has a breakout MLS season….”

And on reading more, although this is a ‘feel good’ article, if the best internal changes we can expect are the summer of Peruzza, the expansion of BMO Field, and “exciting new kits” then probably our goose is cooked!

(I would not turn down #1, however. Peruzza’s bright moments in lower divisions always promise something in MLS. Hence the running joke, maybe.)
    Last edited by los sonadores; 12-28-2023 at 02:20 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LAFC signing lloris it looks like.

would be a good move from us to sign Crepeau and trade SJ for assets.

crepeau will be on a lot less $$, and can be our starting keeper for years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Max's a good keeper, but that is the last position we should be worried about. Ride SJ this year and maybe Gavran will be good/ready to start for 2025.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Max's a good keeper, but that is the last position we should be worried about. Ride SJ this year and maybe Gavran will be good/ready to start for 2025.
    This year will be another bust so might as well sell SJ for whatever GAM we can get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Crepeau's exceptional by MLS standards.

I smell a move for him by someone. LAFC has no reason to go for Lloris relative to what Crepeau has given them, and I highly doubt he'd be less expensive.

That leaves them not wanting to pay what Crepeau wants, possibly because he knows he can get more elsewhere.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would be interesting to do a "How many points?" poll that allows for a floating changeable answer that can be tracked between now & opening day.

Baring a rumour, this time of year always seems the lowest ebb for supporter mood.

I won't judge JH˛ until we see some data.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, the team that makes the most sense in MLS for Crepeau is probably the Galaxy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dominoes may fall, if or when something happens with our Italians. Let’s see… T-Minus 94 Hours & 40 Minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://x.com/canfutboltalk/status/1...351318274?s=46

Q the sale of Kobe to generate funds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I guess JMR’s hype train has reached terminal station.

I think Kobe’s young enough and talented enough to have a good career. But there’s still a lot of the story to be written. It will be cool to see how much he’s improved over the offseason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I guess JMR’s hype train has reached terminal station.

I think Kobe’s young enough and talented enough to have a good career. But there’s still a lot of the story to be written. It will be cool to see how much he’s improved over the offseason.
    Id rather keep Kobe over JMR at this point.

Don't know if guys saw this but Jesus Jimenez was on a Spanish podcast a few days ago and talked about his time here. Seems like Bob and Berna were both issues. One is gone, the other needs to go otherwise I don't think this team gets the culture reset it needs.

Jesus Jimenez via Offsiders Podcast has spoken out on his time at Toronto FC [Translated from Spanish]:

��️ “We had thousands of talks (about how to improve) but nothing. We would say one thing, (Bob Bradley) wouldn’t take it well. We would get into arguments because we would say how we felt, but not him. He didn’t want to hear it.”

��️ “We would think ‘then why do you want my opinion if you’re going to step on it’. And then the team kept losing, and it was chaos, and the trainings weren’t very good. We kept losing, losing, winning, losing and in the end it became this strange environment and it hasn’t gotten better to this day.”

��️ On Pozuelo and Salcedo:

��️ “Pozuelo went to Inter Miami and Carlos Salcedo who arrived with me in January went back to Mexico and for me it was basically my two friends left because they couldn’t stand the bad environment there was [at Toronto FC].”

��️ On his argument with Bernardeschi:

��️ “When I got to Toronto, Pozuelo was the penalty-taker. I didn’t say anything, I stayed quiet, I respected that. When he left, I took the penalties.”

��️ “The Italians came and we won some games, they scored goals. When we got a penalty (against Nashville). I was going to take it, but Bernardeschi also wanted to take it.”

��️ “I looked at him saying ‘I take them’. He looked at me basically saying ‘why are you going to take it, I’m Bernadeschi.’ And I said ‘yes but I have the most goals here, and I was here before you.’ We got into an argument and then Criscito and Insigne told me ‘just let him take it.’

��️ “He scored the penalty, good job. Then in the locker room everyone was happy because we won the game but I was asking ‘now what?’ In the end ,I felt pushed to the side, not backed at all by the coach.”

��️ “Just like I respect, I also want to be respected. If I’m told that someone else is taking the penalties then that’s how it is.”

��️ “In the end the solution was (Bob) pushed me aside so there wouldn’t be any problems.”

��️ “It was a bad year collectively. At a team level no one was happy. And this year has been even worse for Toronto.”
    Last edited by SenorDingDong; 12-29-2023 at 10:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    Same. Appreciating JMR started quite young, he seems to have a lot of classic TFC-A / unready raw prospect aspects to him. Franklin needed a bit of polish but wasn’t nearly as painful to put on the field from the jump.

I think in retrospect, we should have never promoted JMR to regular first team football. He should have been put in a more manageable position to develop elsewhere. He just wasn’t ready, physically or mentally to be playing in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    LAFC signing lloris it looks like.

would be a good move from us to sign Crepeau and trade SJ for assets.

crepeau will be on a lot less $$, and can be our starting keeper for years.
    This has been a weird dance… Crepeau was told he was no longer in lafc’s plans, (tfc/herdman enter the picture) then we saw what he did in the playoffs… all of a sudden he’s back in their plans, is offered a new contract, within 24 hours lafc pull the contract as Lloris became an option - no clue if tfc has re engaged at this point, but you’d think they would (if my previous information about them checking in when he was on the outs was correct)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    TY LCDE

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 12-29-2023 at 11:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post

Don't know if guys saw this but Jesus Jimenez was on a Spanish podcast a few days ago and talked about his time here. Seems like Bob and Berna were both issues. One is gone, the other needs to go otherwise I don't think this team gets the culture reset it needs.
    ….
    ��️ “It was a bad year collectively. At a team level no one was happy. And this year has been even worse for Toronto.”
    This is basically exactly how I assume the dynamics were like in that room with BB and to an extent MB4 and up to this point, how TFC manning culture has been built on.

Offer council or perspective because it’s progressive in current HR driven initiatives to be ‘ flat structured, open, and collaborative’, but are swatted away like flies and sent down the pecking order if you actually do it lol and give your primary insight. Like a mid level manager having an open door policy in a corporate environment, then silently firing subordinates for offering problems and solutions to said problems that could impact their ego or ability to control the power/direction - but in truth are key root cause problems to the current environment.

… not surprising lol the clubs vibe and view are the way they are prior to JH

On topic of transfers tho. I almost think we should just sell to any prospective buyers for our youth and ask for bigger sell on % clauses. We clearly don’t have the environment to raise these kids to a higher level to get into higher transfer values (jmr and before show this) - so stop blocking them in greed and just move on with them and build a rapport
    Last edited by FiveThreeTwo; 12-29-2023 at 03:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same. Appreciating JMR started quite young, he seems to have a lot of classic TFC-A / unready raw prospect aspects to him. Franklin needed a bit of polish but wasn’t nearly as painful to put on the field from the jump.

I think in retrospect, we should have never promoted JMR to regular first team football. He should have been put in a more manageable position to develop elsewhere. He just wasn’t ready, physically or mentally to be playing in MLS.
    I agree JMR was signed too early. Not sure about the retrospect because he was really hapless right away, too much so to make it likely he’d be solidly good two or three seasons hence. But Herdman was very happy with him at LWB in the weeks he worked with everyone after the season (he said: he puts in a really good cross!), so unless we sign a good LWB or use Spicer there (Hernandez specifically mentioned this possibility) it sounds as though JMR will be given another chance.

Looks like the young RB list is based on minutes played… Kobe certainly had the starts and minutes but, to me, he doesn’t seem to be a wing back naturally. He was a good, full of fight, RB but when he tried to play further forward he faltered or lost his fight. Maybe he can learn to be a wing back if he plays with a back three, it could come, but I suspect he’s more easily a somewhat stay at home defender. The guy can tackle also, maybe he doesn’t have the pitch awareness but I wonder how he’d look as a DM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I suspect first moves at earliest are done Wed or Thur next week - don't move somebody over the holidays unless they want to leave where they are & go where they will be.

Training camp starts mid month.
    Have they announced what the plans are for the pre-season, will it be in California, Florida etc, any tournaments/series of games?

I do not expect a huge roster turn over early, 23 of 30 spots are filled, but that included the likes of a handful of players that we loaned out last year including Ayo, Jordan Perruza, Luke Singh and Kosi, so will be curious to see what Herdman's approach is to these guys, does he give Ayo a real look as he does know him from recruiting him to the CDNMT.

Also what they do with Diamonde is anyones guess , if he is even healthy at this point. We shall see.

We could see a TFC II player or two earning a first team deal like Adam Pearlman etc.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's crazy is that this time last year we were on page #79 and post #2350. Is #manningout trying to kill the supporters and change the dynamic of the fanbase and make it more like the Leafs... would be very stupid. I want to know how he got the job and how is he still in charge. Crickets on any type of player movement.... have we even signed Charlie Sharp, at least that would be something.... Shameful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Have they announced what the plans are for the pre-season, will it be in California, Florida etc, any tournaments/series of games?

I do not expect a huge roster turn over early, 23 of 30 spots are filled, but that included the likes of a handful of players that we loaned out last year including Ayo, Jordan Perruza, Luke Singh and Kosi, so will be curious to see what Herdman's approach is to these guys, does he give Ayo a real look as he does know him from recruiting him to the CDNMT.

Also what they do with Diamonde is anyones guess , if he is even healthy at this point. We shall see.

We could see a TFC II player or two earning a first team deal like Adam Pearlman etc.
    “We shall see” is about it.

There was talk of camp in Miami and then the west coast but nothing has been announced.

In November Hernandez seemed optimistic that they could move people off the roster. I wonder if we will use the buyout early on, or at all? We didn’t use it last season despite the obvious candidates. It would be strange if Diomande sat again for another season.

Sounds like all the loanees will be back but I expect at least some of them to be loaned out again. I’m guessing Herdman will try and revive Ayo. You’d think Peruzza will want to play somewhere soon, he’s been good in USL and the CPL. Can they find another Euro loan for Thompson and if not where would he fit in with Herdman?

Hernandez was pretty blunt about not having the roster to compete… let’s hope he can, one way or another, add some good players. I’m hopeful about Spicer and it seems we have the budget to add a few ‘impactful’ guys.

And what about last year’s third rounder? He and Spicer were the two top strikers in division one. Sharp had the most goals and Spicer the highest goals to minutes percentage. We’ve probably got to move a striker or two in order to sign him and allow him a chance to play. The forward position on our roster looks pretty untenable at the moment.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I look at the transactions so far around the league & its not exactly booming out there.

Like, 12 days ago, Atlanta resigned Q Westberg - there's been maybe 10 transactions since.

Lets see what happens next week.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LAFC confirmed tonight that Crepeau is leaving.

There are very few MLS keepers I'd take over SJ - Crepeau is one of them.

But moving SJ would not be easy, especially if teams knew we were trying to offload him.

I'll take either scenario

&

we have more pressing issues.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 12-30-2023 at 08:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/tombogert/status...UvtIhvIBQ&s=19

BREAKING: The Portland Timbers have acquired Canadian int'l CB Kamal Miller from Inter Miami, per sources.

Miami will receive $625k GAM + int'l slot. Miami could receive another $150k GAM in add-ons too.

Miller, 26, new defensive anchor. Big get for POR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    https://twitter.com/tombogert/status...UvtIhvIBQ&s=19

BREAKING: The Portland Timbers have acquired Canadian int'l CB Kamal Miller from Inter Miami, per sources.

Miami will receive $625k GAM + int'l slot. Miami could receive another $150k GAM in add-ons too.

Miller, 26, new defensive anchor. Big get for POR
    Man... why can't we have nice things lol, or get these type of deals sent our way. That's a good amount of Garber bucks... but find me someone outside of the MLS that has Kamal's mls grade ability, and Canadian culture acclimation for a $775k transfer who can slot right into the lineup and already be a starting 11, and comfortable with the conference/player pool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moved from the wrong thread:

If Crepeau also signs elsewhere that should give the lie to the notion that we’ll be signing only MNT players.

In this case, I think we’re already paying over 850,000 for a left CB who can also play LB… one Raoul Petretta.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No need to chase players based on passports. While getting a bit nervous about our lack of business so far, I want to make sure we maintain flexibility going into next year. If we can obtain a good player with slightly lower value like a Paxton Pomykal though, I'd be all over that.
    Last edited by MikeForbes; 12-30-2023 at 10:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, I know it’s early but I’m just going to say it. I’m not sold on Jason Hernandez as our GM. Seems like a nice guy and all but he’s yet another one of BM’s guys.

Looking at his moves last year there’s nothing that suggests we’re in good hands.

Blessing for MAK - this was a nothing trade, maybe the biggest part was cleaning out the Bob Bradley house. Blessing hasn’t shown anything since LAFC.

Dunfield - allowing Dunfield to run this club and destroy any semblance of dignity was atrocious to watch. Did he even have a process to run through possible managers or were they just approached early on by Herdman and were desperate in bringing him in?

Ibarra, loaned for a dude that had no desire to be here. Clearly the plan was to let this team miserably fail as he allowed Dunfield to manage and didn’t urgently seek a solution as we lost match after match. If that was the plan why waste minutes on a guy you knew was not going to come back.

Mailula - is this just a straight on bust? I can’t recall is getting a player in July who then only plays 68 minutes. Please let something come of him next year.

Prince. -another one who shows up and is invisible the entire time. What was the point.

Mabika - I know we’re desperate for defenders but triggering an extension on the guy who so blatantly just didn’t give a F during multiple games. No thank you.

The only thing that is somewhat good here is Herdman. I genuinely think he is a fantastic leader and am very hopeful he can help finally steeer this team in the right direction, however, he needs a stand up GM who has experience and is a builder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Without getting too far into the specifics, I generally agree with the statement JH doesn’t inspire much confidence. At best, I’d say he’s learning on the job.