Page 20 of 58 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Ibarra was our best player last year. He did not stink it up, unfortunately he did not want to be a part of the shit show.
    Oh, no. No reflection on his play, the reason we got Ibarra though was because Atlanta signed a 4th u-22 guy and needed to free a spot that was already occupied. They basically under estimated the market on their u-22 guys and had no choice but to toss Ibarra to the first team that would take him on loan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Ibarra was our best player last year. He did not stink it up, unfortunately he did not want to be a part of the shit show.
    Nice player. Immature and went through the motions on more than one occasion. Also doesn’t want to play the position he’s good at (DM) but instead wants to pursue the one where he’s fairly mediocre (box-to-box).

On the surface it was made to sound like Atlanta screwed up and couldn’t keep him. But when you look further at the details, Atlanta didn’t actually want him and prioritized others in their system.

Wouldn’t bring him back all else equal. We need strong character around here to turn it around and he doesn’t have it.

Best player last year was Coello BTW. Or Richie, if we want to count a portion of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not exactly exciting, but a rumor is a rumor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Bernie's been more than transparent at least a couple of times that he's open to leave. I honestly cannot see him being part of this team next year. He's too much of a distraction.
    Yea at this point Berna HAS to go. He has been very open about not wanting to be here, hasn't posted anything about TFC since season ended. If he's back he should ride the bench.

Insigne has been the total opposite. He regularly tags TFC in his training post and has stated in every interview he wants to come back, give 300% and finish his contract as his family is happy here.

Berna leaving I also feel will be the best thing to get Insigne going more. The two of them simply can't co-exist here.
    Last edited by SenorDingDong; 12-22-2023 at 12:47 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Build the team around Jonathan Osorio, Latif Blessing & Sean Johnson? Apparently what MLS Insider thinks.

https://wakingthered.com/2023/12/22/...-sean-johnson/

Original article:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/mls-r...around-in-2024

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Build the team around Jonathan Osorio, Latif Blessing & Sean Johnson? Apparently what MLS Insider thinks.

Original article:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/mls-r...around-in-2024
    I saw that when it was published on MLS.com. These “I’m going to comment on every team (even if I don’t watch them play often)” articles are more generic and semi-random than they are “insider”. I don’t think it’s very clear to anyone who we can “build around”… even Herdman said the roster situation was bad. It really depends on what Herdman wants and can do with what he has. And then who we can bring in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

Original article:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/mls-rosters-3-players-each-eastern-conference-club-should-build-around-in-2024
    I don't think they had much to cling to. We need a total rebuild, so they picked those three as the most consistently "not disappointing" MLS players on our roster.

Normally, I just assume it's the usual anti-Canadian bias from Mlssoccer.com -- which I don't think is deliberate on their part, just typically American -- but in this case, we don't have a whole lot that's promising.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd rather we get it right that do it fast, but I must admit, I'm a little unnerved that we're one of the few teams that hasn't pulled the trigger yet on any signings or trades (other than our draftee, Spicer, who pre-signed via Generation Adidas).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I'd rather we get it right that do it fast, but I must admit, I'm a little unnerved that we're one of the few teams that hasn't pulled the trigger yet on any signings or trades (other than our draftee, Spicer, who pre-signed via Generation Adidas).
    We got no money man! We’re broke!

Basically we’re going to watch while MLSE pinches pennies and holds Manning’s feet to the fire for 12 months rather than do the right thing and just give him the sack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My understanding is that Spicer signed with MLS before the draft, but NOT as Generation Adidas (which has advantageous consequences for any team's budget).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luanda View Post
    My understanding is that Spicer signed with MLS before the draft, but NOT as Generation Adidas (which has advantageous consequences for any team's budget).
    Right! He's 23 so too old (and a senior). My bad. Still, he's our one signing so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does this suggest that TFC's budgetary issues are not as serious as portrayed by the board?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you have watched the success we have had year after year signing players the week before the season starts... I mean, who would mess with that?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    We got no money man! We’re broke!

Basically we’re going to watch while MLSE pinches pennies and holds Manning’s feet to the fire for 12 months rather than do the right thing and just give him the sack.
    Very possible.

And too: a new and inexperienced GM (who says all the right things… so far, not backed up with action, not that we can see, at least), a new sporting director and new manager… doesn’t sound like a recipe for swiftness.

Also, the free agent list does not look especially ripe for the picking. Even with dough, the best players are looking to head to Europe (or, yes, be offered more than we can probably offer).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Very possible.

And too: a new and inexperienced GM (who says all the right things… so far, not backed up with action, not that we can see, at least), a new sporting director and new manager… doesn’t sound like a recipe for swiftness.

Also, the free agent list does not look especially ripe for the picking. Even with dough, the best players are looking to head to Europe (or, yes, be offered more than we can probably offer).
    I am not so certain.

If we are stuck in low pay North American DP land I would much rather that spot went to Miles Robinson than JO. I would offer MR 3M a year. On the books it is no different. He will be getting 2.4 offers from Atlanta in all likelihood.

If we could swing both him and Acosta I think our team would be a good bit better. I think Robinson is ready to enter the "half decade of being a rock in MLS" part of his career. We could do worse. A lot worse.

Buying some SA or CA unknown who doesn't speak the language and may need a year to adjust is a bigger risk.

The big problem for all of us Monday morning GM's is we have absolutely zero idea what our budget situation actually is. MLS could make this part of the season far more enjoyable for us if they were just transparent. We would also be more able to believe that Inter Miami is actually cap compliant.

Anyway I think a top MLS CB and DM would go a long way to making the rest of the holes in the roster seem smaller.

JMHO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    I am not so certain.

If we are stuck in low pay North American DP land I would much rather that spot went to Miles Robinson than JO. I would offer MR 3M a year. On the books it is no different. He will be getting 2.4 offers from Atlanta in all likelihood.

If we could swing both him and Acosta I think our team would be a good bit better. I think Robinson is ready to enter the "half decade of being a rock in MLS" part of his career. We could do worse. A lot worse.

Buying some SA or CA unknown who doesn't speak the language and may need a year to adjust is a bigger risk.

The big problem for all of us Monday morning GM's is we have absolutely zero idea what our budget situation actually is. MLS could make this part of the season far more enjoyable for us if they were just transparent. We would also be more able to believe that Inter Miami is actually cap compliant.

Anyway I think a top MLS CB and DM would go a long way to making the rest of the holes in the roster seem smaller.

JMHO.
    I agree but apparently both Robinson and Acosta want to play in Europe. But who knows… big enough offers might do it… and who knows what we can afford?

“Suarez joins Miami”….

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    I am not so certain.

JMHO.
    Atlanta are offering him max TAM not DP.

Atlanta fans seem to think he declined this year in performance coming back from a bad injury.

He's likely going to PSV Eindhoven or Cincinnati.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atlanta are offering him max TAM not DP.

Atlanta fans seem to think he declined this year in performance coming back from a bad injury.

He's likely going to PSV Eindhoven or Cincinnati.
    I thought he played well with the USMNT after the injury. He’s turned down the Atlanta contact extension and Ernie Stewart is collecting USMNT members at PSV… sounds quite possible.

Cincinnati is offering low DP, in the Walker Zimmerman range.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 12-23-2023 at 02:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just thinking out loud ... IF we're stuck/committed to the Italians for the foreseeable future and if Herdman is big on team chemistry or "the brotherhood" ... what's the chances he's had conversations with them about "what do you think we need to get the best out of you"? We've got all of our eggs spent on a couple of wingers. We need an identity. Last year I thought Bob fixed our biggest issues from 2022 ... terrible goalkeeping and a porous defence. Unfortunately we regressed defensively as the year went on and it definitely needs fixing again. Problem is that even with a tightened up defensive third it still wasn't enough. If they're sticking around we need them to not only pick up the pace on the park, we also need them to buck up in the dressing room too. We might be in bed with the devil but sometimes you need to double down and maybe they need to let us know what it'll take to make them happy. A new striker might help or add a fairly dominant attacking midfielder too. It doesn't solve all of our problems but I'm wondering what their answer would be if they were asked the question ... Keeping in mind we are in a capped league, who can we sign that makes the Italians happy?
    Last edited by buddies; 12-26-2023 at 12:23 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Probably one of the national team strikers. Immobile? There is talk of him moving to Saudi…

EDIT: just googled this, supposed they are offering a 35M transfer fee for him. So that ain’t the answer…
    Last edited by ensco; 12-26-2023 at 04:27 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^Probably one of the national team strikers. Immobile? There is talk of him moving to Saudi…

EDIT: just googled this, supposed they are offering a 35M transfer fee for him. So that ain’t the answer…
    Yeah, man, this was necessary last season when the Italians seemed only to trust each other (before they didn’t much). But we have so many strikers, including new additions, and that top striker would be another expensive DP. It wouldn’t be surprising if the position was a problem next season also.

edit: the season before last (not last season)
    Last edited by los sonadores; 12-26-2023 at 09:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's an interesting debate, and curious how far Manning/Hernandez go with it. It's a debate over what the team needs (and the italians will see measurable benefit), vs. what the italians specifically demand to make them feel happy- but do those two things line up?

If they line up and everyone's on the same wave length - Italians work alongside staff to understand the weaknesses or areas in need of support then its a no brainer. I don't think that's the case, which is a main root cause last season for the divide. Not to rehash the tactical discussions everyone had in the past in extreme detail- but ... lol... both Italians play in a same overall behaviour or mindset in their approach to attacking and moving the ball. They are inside forwards - both obviously like to cut inside in the space between the other teams d-mid line and d-line and are looking for team mates to pull this line further apart so they have more space to move and shoot, or link up. (or risk forcing it which they did all last season). They hope to get an opponent pulled out of position like outter CBs or FB or dmid, and work a few one-two's in the process of the drive towards the middle of the pitch - so it opens up a perpendicular run/line into the box - where a striker is running or they run it/shoot it (tirragiroooo). But both depend highly on a very close relationship with their wingbacks/fb's to produce dummies and timed runs to throw the other team off from the proper mark - and both need a much higher lvl IQ front man who knows when to pull open space between those lines and create channels for the italians by dropping deep to pull off defenders, or holding-up ball to run into... vs when to run in behind the back line themselves (they aren't common in mls to be that complete lol)

The Italians like to roll the ball along on their strong foot just outside the defenders tackle range... baiting them to over extend in a more reactive manner, so they can turn on the jets and go the opposite way or to give the team mate some time to move inbehind, which is more of a 'pull system' in waiting for the other team to commit - vs. a Shaffleberg/Davies/Laryea/Almiron/ approach where they drive forward and dictate the outcome somewhat 'pushing' and depend on a defender messing up in the back paddle. Piss poor job explaining that but... see Robben, Sane, Salah, Messi occasionally etc. What this approach does is slow the game down - especially when both of your wide forwards do this, your Striker is slow as molasses or slow on the read/what to do, and your midfielders are also slow to provide support. Players who play like this are expecting by controlling tempo down in front of them with the ball, lots of off-ball movement and shape moving will happen around them- creating decisions and chaos for the opponent trying to mark - opening up that window of opportunity/space. When ur team are slow as hell, lack off ball movement or sense - then your attacks and movements are dead in the water - and you get bernadeschi slapping his thighs because the play died. Or the other team is given enough time to re-establish their low-block or high-press and stop the attacks. And the italians are very hell bent on playing this way, and not shifting tempo or approach. (vs. Messi or other studs who know when to change between dictating tempo and just following and playing quick) Which is why up front we need more pace and speed who make forward runs and create other options/problems for the defenders to worry about, and need faster more agile 8's that run forward into outside the box/post positions.

That's the clear need. The team needs pace, they need players spatially aware of what the italians are trying to accomplish in their movements/intentions and facilitate that - which is how Robert Taylor was able to blow up in Miami with an absolute God and barca great in half a season. Detach, understand what messi wanted to accomplish with his movements and get to the places messi wanted him to be in or places that would give Messi more space to operate in. (especially if they are uncoachable and JH has to basically build the game plans around them)

The TLDR main point to this for me is
    - understanding the actual needs of the club vs. what the players want in order to be made happy won't necessarily align and if they do it will be a miracle - because half of the reason we are in this shitshow atm is because the italians appear to be very self serving and not very adaptable with who they play with- so they aren't a very compromising pair. What the Italians want might be more italians to fulfill their need for cultural norms or "to have a good italian on the squad that knows our way of thinking" - that player might be a Serie B Luca Toni style striker who can hold up the ball, do the occasional one-two flick on, can speak italian and enjoys a good play date with the Bernadeschis' or Insigne entourage. But he's slow as hell off the ball and won't contribute at all in opening up space or providing attacking options/create more problems for the other team (which is the real need to facilitate them). Its a fine balance between bending over and allowing them carte blanche, vs finding solutions they might not know or approve of - but will thank later when they realize the value they are getting out of it. For that - I hope we don't bend over and facilitate them. I hope they analyze what is driving our deadzone attacks like the above - and fill the squad with players who can do that - especially if Insigne/Bernadeschi are uncoachable and are completely their own ppl out there on the pitch.
    Last edited by FiveThreeTwo; 12-26-2023 at 05:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the biggest issues with Bradley’s offseason tweaks were they addressed individual on-field gaps but didn’t consider attributes that our team lacked vs. Other successful MLS squads.

The best example of this is speed. A roster that consisting of Bernie, LI, Osorio, MB, Osorio, and Hedges in a starting 11 was always going to struggle. Not enough pace to have a credible counterattack or a midfield that can close the gaps fast enough to be defensively sound.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveThreeTwo View Post
    The TLDR main point to this for me is - understanding the actual needs of the club vs. what the players want in order to be made happy won't necessarily align and if they do it will be a miracle - because half of the reason we are in this shitshow atm is because the italians appear to be very self serving and not very adaptable with who they play with- so they aren't a very compromising pair. What the Italians want might be more italians to fulfill their need for cultural norms or "to have a good italian on the squad that knows our way of thinking" - that player might be a Serie B Luca Toni style striker who can hold up the ball, do the occasional one-two flick on, can speak italian and enjoys a good play date with the Bernadeschis' or Insigne entourage. But he's slow as hell off the ball and won't contribute at all in opening up space or providing attacking options/create more problems for the other team (which is the real need to facilitate them). Its a fine balance between bending over and allowing them carte blanche, vs finding solutions they might not know or approve of - but will thank later when they realize the value they are getting out of it. For that - I hope we don't bend over and facilitate them. I hope they analyze what is driving our deadzone attacks like the above - and fill the squad with players who can do that - especially if Insigne/Bernadeschi are uncoachable and are completely their own ppl out there on the pitch.[/I]
    Thank you, I was going to say exactly this. I’m not in favour of doing anything extra for these guys. Team needs first.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 12-26-2023 at 05:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    Yea at this point Berna HAS to go. He has been very open about not wanting to be here, hasn't posted anything about TFC since season ended. If he's back he should ride the bench.

Insigne has been the total opposite. He regularly tags TFC in his training post and has stated in every interview he wants to come back, give 300% and finish his contract as his family is happy here.

Berna leaving I also feel will be the best thing to get Insigne going more. The two of them simply can't co-exist here.
    And yet six months ago it seemed the complete opposite.

I just can't get my head around this team right now. It seems so massively fucked up from top to bottom ... If Berna leaves, then maybe there's a chance for some better form next year. But if we can't move him how long until we might be competitve again? 3 years? 4? It does my head in.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right! He's 23 so too old (and a senior). My bad. Still, he's our one signing so far.
    He like Charlie Sharpe had an extra year of college due to the 2020 season not counting. Spicer was a red shirt junior this past season.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holidays are mostly over. We need a signing this week. At the very least, a decent rumor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SerieA Transfer Window opens…

T-Minus… 5 Days, 19 Hours, 42 Minutes and counting.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 12-26-2023 at 10:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FiveThreeTwo View Post
    But both depend highly on a very close relationship with their wingbacks/fb's to produce dummies and timed runs to throw the other team off from the proper mark….[/I]
    This is an interesting thing, I think. Criscito, although very slow, understood Insigne brilliantly and certainly made him a more effective player with us. Lareya, although fast, did not usually link up well with Bernie. If he did, he limited his possibilities - often Bernie’s drive inside took away the areas he was most effective in. So here speed didn’t necessarily make for effectiveness. Not that I would argue that we don’t need more speed almost everywhere, but it has to be speed that works with our best players so they can be, in fact, our best players.

What we probably need is not to have a ridiculous amount of money and two DP spots locked up on two wingers, and these two in particular. But if we do I think we’re going nowhere unless we get the best out of them. Not at all an easy thing - I don’t envy Herdman here.

On the speed front, our first overall draft choice is fast and seems to really understand space well, see the players he’s playing with unusually well for a U.S. college player.

Here is Justin Morrow’s quote on him from a Davidson article:

“Spicer’s pace is electric, Morrow said.

“I’ve never seen anything like it … He can fly. he can absolutely fly. And it’s effortless as well. It looks like the old Michael Johnson over 200 metres,” Morrow said, referencing the former track star. “He glides. It’s something to see, for sure.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know who they would both know from the Italian MNT that has GTA connections? (Well he spent some summers here as a kid, iirc)

Bryan Cristante (although he just signed a new deal)

I got so sick of hearing his name years ago when he danced with the CMNT about playing for us… and kind of forgot about him.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-27-2023 at 01:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    You know who they would both know from the Italian MNT that has GTA connections? (Well he spent some summers here as a kid, iirc) Bryan Cristante (although he just signed a new deal) I got so sick of hearing his name years ago when he danced with the CMNT about playing for us… and kind of forgot about him.
    IMO, Cristante would be the right type of target; a very interesting one. Certainly, the exact versatility required by TFC… experienced at central defender, defensive central midfielder/a six- both destroyer and regista, as well as, an attacking midfielder- trequartista. Salary should be within an acceptable parameter; 4–6M USD. Somewhat surprised he is just/still 28 yrs old. The obvious obstacle would be that he would require a transfer fee; likely a significant one. Seems he just re-signed with Roma and has 3 1/2 yrs left and is starting/playing regularly. Given these latter circumstances, I do not believe he would be a candidate for, nor welcome, a move to MLS/TFC at this time.