Page 14 of 58 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I figured it was his new agents trying to create some buzz to help a move happen.
    This....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look, a tiny spec of a rumor!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/tombogert/status...10594331988214

Federico Bernardeschi when asked by a Juventus fan if he would return to the club in January: "I hope so."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    https://twitter.com/tombogert/status...10594331988214

Federico Bernardeschi when asked by a Juventus fan if he would return to the club in January: "I hope so."
    Meh, let him go. Honestly him and Insigne if they both leave with no attachments is probably the best thing for Herdman to rebuild the squad.

Them both leaving should really also be the nail in the coffin for Manning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    Meh, let him go. Honestly him and Insigne if they both leave with no attachments is probably the best thing for Herdman to rebuild the squad.

Yeah I’m holding out still but damn there’s a weird sense of relief and optimism (or sense that the team would be better setup for a culture change) when you think about the hypothetical where we have 3 DP slots open with the story floating there could be a 4th.

Definitively wishful thinking cause prob not gonna happen… but the flexibility and ability for herdman to actually get shit done with 4 DP slots (even if it’s all dumped into young DP cause it’s cheaper) would make me feel so much more optimistic before next season lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Went and checked out that Cuiabano's YouTube highlights (mind you they could make anyone look great) and he looks like a good shout as a u-22 initiative player. Speed and strength as a LWB. Just 20 years old and has been linked to teams like Ajax.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FiveThreeTwo View Post
    Yeah I’m holding out still but damn there’s a weird sense of relief and optimism (or sense that the team would be better setup for a culture change) when you think about the hypothetical where we have 3 DP slots open with the story floating there could be a 4th.

Definitively wishful thinking cause prob not gonna happen… but the flexibility and ability for herdman to actually get shit done with 4 DP slots (even if it’s all dumped into young DP cause it’s cheaper) would make me feel so much more optimistic before next season lol
    I would love this. Coming in Fresh with no "baggage" and 3-4 open DP slots would be the best case scenario for this squad.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would love this. Coming in Fresh with no "baggage" and 3-4 open DP slots would be the best case scenario for this squad.
    If somehow this could happen then I hope Hernandez sticks to what he said and would aim for getting 5 or 6 $750K type guys. I like this as move #1.

Then add in some not idiotic, properly scouted DPs to augment that base and maybe we have something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed.

Even if we don’t get any form of increased budget, I would rather take the fractional savings of getting rid of these guys and obtain other players, rather than watch more of what we’ve seen over the past 18 months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    If somehow this could happen then I hope Hernandez sticks to what he said and would aim for getting 5 or 6 $750K type guys. I like this as move #1.

Then add in some not idiotic, properly scouted DPs to augment that base and maybe we have something.
    I hope Hernandez and his boss get minimal rope and anything they do gets heavily vetted by the board.
    So far, old Jason has made 3 inbound moves of any consequence, and two of them look pretty dubious in retrospect.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I hope Hernandez and his boss get minimal rope and anything they do gets heavily vetted by the board.
    I doubt any moves under $1M will be vetted by the board. They won't bother themselves with trivial nothingness like that. I figure they would keep a sharper eye on Insigne level signings from now on though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People trusting in the good sense of any MLSE board since the Leafs were born is weird enough but people trusting this board to be remotely useful while with that Rogers dude is present - that's a BIG stretch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    People trusting in the good sense of any MLSE board since the Leafs were born is weird enough but people trusting this board to be remotely useful while with that Rogers dude is present - that's a BIG stretch.
    Someone has to smoke cigars and have 3 martinis over lunch. What more do you want?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is it the received wisdom that the Insigne and Bernardeschi signings occurred because of a lack of oversight?

Seems far likelier to me that those signings were driven by Tanenbaum, and that Manning was just executing orders.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Why is it the received wisdom that the Insigne and Bernardeschi signings occurred because of a lack of oversight?

Seems far likelier to me that those signings were driven by Tanenbaum, and that Manning was just executing orders.
    For Insigne that whole Manning Transfermarkt search was so ridiculous & embarrassing that it had to be true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean, it’s not entirely out of the question. I could see him going to his buddies in the development industry and saying “look what I did” But I think wanted criminals turn themselves in more frequently than Larry shows up at a TFC game.

The thesis of Manning riding Leiweke’s coat tails, thinking this will be easy with a big cheque book, and cocking it all up is a lot more simple and sensible, IMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably because Manning made a big public song and dance about personally bagging the Italians. And also, because he’s very good at just this category of oversight. I think of oversight as his main characteristic when it comes to football personnel decisions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve not seen any evidence the board knows anything about football or has any interest in it, Tanenbaum aside - possibly lots of interest and little knowledge there.

To be a longtime fan of TFC has been to accept that even important people directly running the football club have little knowledge of football (Mr. Tom Anselmi being a long time one of those), never mind the board!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Thank god. At least that’s one thing off the list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Am I understanding this right? Akinola’s back!? I would have preferred not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we still use our 2023 buyout we are reluctant to use?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Yeah, seems like he is.
    IMO he should get loaned out to a CPL team instead of sitting on the bench at TFC.
    Then again Herdman likes him so maybe that's all that's needed to get him going again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Yeah, seems like he is.
    IMO he should get loaned out to a CPL team instead of sitting on the bench at TFC.
    Then again Herdman likes him so maybe that's all that's needed to get him going again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Thank god. At least that’s one thing off the list.
    Oppps never mind, I read it backwards.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSamurai View Post

Has Herdman talked about Akinola since joining TFC?

Sorry if he has, but I see a LOT of "Herdman likes x" takes based on the last years of the CanMNT experience - I do have to stop following Waking the Red on twitter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be absolutely shocked if Herdman wouldn't be pushing hard to move on Ayo at that contract. I agree this assumption that he just loves all Canadians because he knows them is so surface level and there isn't anything supporting it, he's not an idiot and it's an objectively really bad contract

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has Herdman talked about Akinola since joining TFC?

Sorry if he has, but I see a LOT of "Herdman likes x" takes based on the last years of the CanMNT experience - I do have to stop following Waking the Red on twitter
    I haven’t seen a mention of Akinola.

So far, the overall general idea from Herdman seems to be that the roster situation is bad but the players are motivated to do better.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    I haven’t seen a mention of Akinola.

So far, the overall general idea from Herdman seems to be that the roster situation is bad but the players are motivated to do better.
    Yeh, that's my take so far too.

E.g. He named checked Mabika prior to the last game of the season. He seems to rate Mabika as a sub, at least - given what happened in New York during the Leagues Cup, that would take some serious talking with & probably couldn't happen until MB left the building.

I have the STRONG feeling MB made his professional opinions known to people in a manner which hindered those people from changing unless they were using MB's methods. He was, in essence, the "team lead" in an environment where he was seen to be able to affect whether some players got kept around or used.

That's not what a captain should be.