Page 10 of 58 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    There's a German defender, Morris Duggan, who is a senior and has real potential, I think. He's very good on the ball and even though he's 6'4 and big, he's fast enough to have played some left back as well. He has typical Euro technique but looks a better-than-average athlete. He's also 23 and played in top regional amateur league in Germany before coming over, so he's likely a little more mature.

His teammate Matthew Bell is a prolific scorer who will probably go top five as well.

My fear is that we'll do what we normally do and take a flyer on potential, then give up on the player after a year or two.
    Taking defenders in the SuperDraft seems the safest bet. They fill positions teams traditionally don't spend big money on and seem to have the best track record of success in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh-oh!

’Miguel Herrera commented in a Press Conference that Lucas Cavallini was not the forward they were looking for and they need a partner for González who can score goals. Everything indicates that he will not continue in Xolos next season.’

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have yet to see any evidence there is a "I want all the Canadian MNT's" line of thinking going on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    We have yet to see any evidence there is a "I want all the Canadian MNT's" line of thinking going on.
    This. He is just as likely to want to bring in Sunderland players as he is CMNT players. It wasn't like he was picking Cavallini over Harry Kane. He was picking him over guys like Brym and Akinola.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another rumour, of Red Bull nepotism, is that AM Emil Forsberg of Bundesliga/Leipzig is set to join RBNY. IMO, could have been an interesting TFC candidate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Another rumour, of Red Bull nepotism, is that AM Emil Forsberg of Bundesliga/Leipzig is set to join RBNY. IMO, could have been an interesting TFC candidate.
    Football Manager legend. Can't be young now, though; I was drafting him as a teen in the early noughties.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Uh-oh!

’Miguel Herrera commented in a Press Conference that Lucas Cavallini was not the forward they were looking for and they need a partner for González who can score goals. Everything indicates that he will not continue in Xolos next season.’
    He had 9 in 26 in his last stint with the whitecaps. He's not ideal, but he's not shit.

His one goal this year is probably because he's getting junk minutes.

Then again, that stomp on another player in Vancouver doesn't exactly make him attractive either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a German defender, Morris Duggan, who is a senior and has real potential, I think. He's very good on the ball and even though he's 6'4 and big, he's fast enough to have played some left back as well. He has typical Euro technique but looks a better-than-average athlete. He's also 23 and played in top regional amateur league in Germany before coming over, so he's likely a little more mature.

His teammate Matthew Bell is a prolific scorer who will probably go top five as well.

My fear is that we'll do what we normally do and take a flyer on potential, then give up on the player after a year or two.
    Would be very surprised if they don’t pick a centre back given how bad our current CBs are and Herdman likely wanting to play in a back 3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He had 9 in 26 in his last stint with the whitecaps. He's not ideal, but he's not shit.
    My problem with him isn't so much him being shit but that he isn't nearly as good as he thinks he is and we already have too many of those types on our roster right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    That would make sense. We certainly need a league best-ish wingback. The current guys won’t cut it (and Herdman talking excitedly about converting/adapting JMR to LWB says as much).

Layrea as a reliably direct option getting forward while having three centre backs behind him might help mitigate Coello’s defensive lack. Petretta can be useful too in this regard as a LCB, in his one appearance in that role under Herdman he looked useful in his forward thinking.

Coello should not have to become our new MB in that all the offence must go through him at any cost.
    He has speed. Would fit well in a 3-4-3 if that's where we are going. Players who are good on the ball and have speed aren't the easiest to get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say pick the best player available. We have needs in all sorts of area. However, NCAA being what it is I would put more stock in CB’s / GK’s than wingers or attacking talent that doesn’t seem to translate as often.

We should be scouting the CPL too. I’m still annoyed we didn’t grab Farsi when he was in Calgary.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But cmon… let's be real.

1) Everybody, in every walk of life, has a preference for working with people they have worked with before. Like, literally, every time a guy goes into a new managerial job, in any industry, if the manager has any influence… that happens. The only question is the extent.

2) All Herdman knows is CMNT players.

3) TFC has real, legitimate business reasons to focus on CMNT players.

What we decide to conclude from those three statements is up to is. I know how I would bet it.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-14-2023 at 02:41 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    He should know most of the CONCACAF opposition too since he is a manager that watches and analyzes tape & uses analytics.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    He should know most of the CONCACAF opposition too since he is a manager that watches and analyzes tape & uses analytics.
    It's true… probably same for MLS and Liga MX, he has to have watched especially a ton of MLS games closely, given how many Concacaf players play in MLS

but it's not the same thing as being comfortable with people you have worked with, and been through the wars with.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-14-2023 at 04:47 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    But cmon… let's be real.

1) Everybody, in every walk of life, has a preference for working with people they have worked with before. Like, literally, every time a guy goes into a new managerial job, in any industry, if the manager has any influence… that happens. The only question is the extent.

3) TFC has real, legitimate business reasons to focus on CMNT players.

What we decide to conclude from those three statements is up to is. I know how I would bet it.
    Yeh, I don't buy all that - especially #3. Nobody from the CanMNT would move the needle locally but Davies & David.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we’re over-doing this topic. I would suspect Herdman has a preference to work with some of the guys he worked with before (as ENSCO referenced) but I doubt it becomes a preoccupation or a major detractor from roster building.

If we fail at roster building, I think that will be as a result of things other than being preoccupied with getting Canadians.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh, I just find the whole "He will buy all the Canadians" thing on twitter to be so damned lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh, I just find the whole "He will buy all the Canadians" thing on twitter to be so damned lazy.
    Yeah fully agree with this. He may bias towards people he knows but there's no evidence at all to support this blind assumption we're only going to buy Canadian national team players - I'd put that way more on Manning if anything

I wouldn't be shocked he brought one or two but I really doubt that's the primary driver of the majority of moves we make

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We did just have a coach/sporting director who got rid of everyone possible (that was a hell of a lot of players of all ages and experience) and hired the guys he knew with disastrous results.

I don’t think that’s possible now because things have been restructured and the coach (whatever his inclination) is one of three making these decisions. Also we’ve got 21 guys on guaranteed contracts.

Personally though I like having local guys play here for several reasons. It goes back to the origin of sport, before random, almost anonymous, expendable players. Also, I know nothing about, say Mamelodi Sundowns, but I’ve been following Richie and Hoilett since they were young players and it’s been a pleasure to see them grow, mature and develop. Why shouldn’t it be in their home town? To be see Richie converted to wing back and then play well at the National level has been a pleasure that you don’t get with players here and gone and not to be seen much again. And even to retire here, hopefully on time and not when they’re past playing a role. That should be another pleasure and not an occasion for complaint.

A bad roster is a bad roster and a good one is a good one. They can take many forms. Often guys who really care about the city they were born in give their all when playing there. But of course you don’t try and make TFC the Maple Leafs of old. Those days are long gone (even if, say, almost half of bundesliga and serie a are nationals). But we do play at the National Grounds… and so many clubs all over the world use local/national players. There should be advantages to that if the players are a good fit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damned lazy is probably one of the better traits encouraged by platforms designed to keep thought to 240 characters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given the lack of money and only five roster spots that are currently free, I think any Canadians he goes for will be guys looking for a new home already.

My hope is that they scouted ConCacaf heavily and he can get us some bargains from central America and the Caribbean. Other recent Canada opponents like Japan and Mexico might have given him a look at some talent too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given the lack of money and only five roster spots that are currently free, I think any Canadians he goes for will be guys looking for a new home already.

My hope is that they scouted ConCacaf heavily and he can get us some bargains from central America and the Caribbean. Other recent Canada opponents like Japan and Mexico might have given him a look at some talent too.
    That’s an interesting kind of familiarity too for a fan. Players you know because of the region. We’ve had few Central Americans but Amado Guevara is still one of my TFC favourites, Cooper was good too, added a lot but easy on the budget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like insgine is going back home as per his IG post an hour ago
    Last edited by FootBallAZ; 11-15-2023 at 09:04 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did not see that coming. Wonder if Berna is next.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's not get excited. I think he's just physically back home. He couldn't sign for Napoli even if he wanted too until the window is open. Not seeing much reason to believe he's signed for anyone

Hope I'm wrong though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I don’t see any indication he’s leaving. Just that he’s in Italy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i mean he posted a picture with a pen and contract with thumbs up - im not sure why he would post that instead of a scenic view of italy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    i mean he posted a picture with a pen and contract with thumbs up - im not sure why he would post that instead of a scenic view of italy
    There's no contract, there's an empty notebook on the table

I'll say it's definitely trying to evoke an image of him signing for Napoli, perhaps in an attempt to stir up some buzz, but there's nothing in that post that says anything other than he's physically in Italy. He couldn't sign that contract until the new year anyway, even if he wanted too. There's also no reporting on it, signings wouldn't generally break by the player on instagram. Even in his tags he's tagging TFC, and not Napoli

I think it's likely something designed to make people think about him signing for Napoli, perhaps in an attempt to generate buzz and make the Napoli fans talk about him, and who knows maybe he's secretly agreed a deal, but this is not an announcement of him signing or anything official

Hopefully soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Walter Mazzerri, you’re the next contestant on ‘if’ The Price Is Right!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Late to the party on this but this quote struck me...
    Despite the woeful season, Manning said fans remain loyal, saying the current renewal rate from the team's 21,000 season-ticket holders is 83 per cent and counting.
    Are the ticket reps not telling him something or are these numbers accurate? Based on the discussion here, you would think renewals are at 50% or less.