Page 25 of 58 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    bob made lots of awful moves (almost all) but petrasso has proven not to be an MLS player. he barely got a game at orlando last year, hence being looked at by teams at a lower level (serie b).
    I don’t agree. I also don’t think LB is his best position. Bob tossed him in there and Orlando continued with it. He’s still only 23… the age of our super draft choice.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    I don’t agree. I also don’t think LB is his best position. Bob tossed him in there and Orlando continued with it. He’s still only 23… the age of our super draft choice.
    i mean, if he was MLS level there would be a lineup of teams willing to take him as he's been available for trade 2 years running.

he only played 430 mins last year in the league. there's a reason a guy has those #s then gets offers from a lower league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    An actual dedicated defence coach?

Not sure we have had one since Frasier (and we complained at the time we were not good enough defensively).
    I seem to remember that our defence was worse after he left.

My question: is de Vos a good coach? He was a good defender but that doesn’t always make for a good coach. Has he any experience other than a few consultancy/free lance gigs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Let’s start with priority 1: Bill’s severance package.
    The bad news is Manning's contract runs until the end of 2025. Does anyone believe he will leave before then? At this point it has to be about not wanting to buy out another contract. If it were about on field results he would have been long gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    The bad news is Manning's contract runs until the end of 2025. Does anyone believe he will leave before then? At this point it has to be about not wanting to buy out another contract. If it were about on field results he would have been long gone.
    I’ll take Diomande, Akinola, the Italians, Terence Boyd, and every other crocked asset we’ve signed until 2030 if Bill walks the plank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Bernardeschi leaving on loan doesn't help us at all. He would be returned to TFC mid-season unless Juventus for some reason wants to do a year long loan.
    18 month loan pls.

or 6 month loan with agreement for permanent transfer in summer.
    And if my understanding of loans out in MLS is correct, it'd only be roster relief TFC would get for the duration of the loan. The budget charge still applies unless the other team, Juventus in this case, covers the salary in full.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    And if my understanding of loans out in MLS is correct, it'd only be roster relief TFC would get for the duration of the loan. The budget charge still applies unless the other team, Juventus in this case, covers the salary in full.
    i think it depends on how much they cover.

a loan with tfc covering the bulk of salary will 100% not happen imo.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

De Vos.. I dunno.

I loved him as a CMNT player, he was a hard man, who stood out when we had a few of those on this team in that era.

But he was bad on TV, a very critical, negative, know-it-all, cynical presence… and very public (about 10 years ago) about his desire to be a Sporting Director or similar for one of the Canadian MLS teams, and how unfair it was that USMNT players from his era got those chances, but no Canadians did (which caused me to LOL on here back then - gee Jason, all those US guys in that era were already beating Mexico, going to every World Cup, and regularly getting to Round of 16….)

So now he is going to come in for what he himself would have called a lowly assistant's role, and it's going to be fine…?

I trust Herdman on reading people, but boy, I really really dunno…
    Last edited by ensco; 01-05-2024 at 01:17 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    De Vos.. I dunno.

I loved him as a CMNT player, he was a hard man, who stood out when we had a few of those on this team in that era.

But he was bad on TV, a very critical, negative, know-it-all, cynical presence… and very public (about 10 years ago) about his desire to be a Sporting Director or similar for one of the Canadian MLS teams, and how unfair it was that USMNT players from his era got those chances, but no Canadians did (which caused me to LOL on here back then - gee Jason, all those US guys in that era were already beating Mexico, going to every World Cup, and regularly getting to Round of 16….)

So now he is going to come in for what he himself would have called a lowly assistant's role, and it's going to be fine…?

I trust Herdman on reading people, but boy, I really really dunno…
    Hopefully he's used that time to swallow his pride and he'll be a good asset. I can't see Herdman taking any shit from anyone regardless of who it is.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning isn't going anywhere until this team fails.

I think Devos failed at TD for Canada, rode the Herdman wave while it lasted, got beaten up by the politics of it all and has retreated to a less crazy sinecure. Whether he is any good - August will be a good time to judge the defence by. As ensco said, he's not shown himself to be a good judge of practically anything.

Bogert is just repeating info we already knew for clicks & subs.

Not sure why Juve would want Berna - they certainly ain't paying for him. The only question would be - is loaning him out and paying his salary better then having him here?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure why Juve would want Berna - they certainly ain't paying for him. The only question would be - is loaning him out and paying his salary better then having him here?
    If he's that much of an issue and disrupts the locker room that badly, they might consider this the best possible action. Sure he puts on a great face in front of the camera and when he first came he was very likeable. But we have also seen all the toxicity behind what he brings. The whole article and going against Bob (likely causing a large rift in the dressing room, considering his son was captain). I can only imagine players were probably finding it difficult to choose sides, do we go with the captain who has been here for years or do we go with these new Italians. I get the vaping thing might have been an issue, if you have younger kids trying to look up to him and he's not listening and doing that. They have had multiple people talk out that have left the club, (one of the sources that wouldn't disclose who they were) Also Jimenez last week on the podcast mentioning the whole penalty shot thing. These are just things we know about that have been leaked and I'm guessing I have probably forgotten about some of the things too.

Who knows how many others would have possibly mentioned things to Herdman or upper management or others after they left or even during their time here. So yeah I'm inclined to think that if it's better to pay him and have him gone and away from the distractions it's probably a better situation.

Also, if you were Juve and you could have a former player back without any fee or cost it seems like a win for them, even if he is just riding the bench the whole time.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning isn't going anywhere until this team fails.
    Just curious....has this team not failed in a glorious manner already? Unless you are talking financially.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Just curious....has this team not failed in a glorious manner already? Unless you are talking financially.....
    Well yeh, its failed - I think he should have gone at the end of 2023.

When it comes to failure and him leaving, I'm talking about 2024 - if we do not make the playoffs, he's gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zero idea how legit this is, but we are rumor starved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flores is a Honduran defensive midfielder. Has been in MLS before several years ago with the Whitecaps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flores is a Honduran defensive midfielder. Has been in MLS before several years ago with the Whitecaps.
    This is a realistic rumour, at least. We need someone in the position and Herdman's team will be familiar with him from the Honduran national team.

He was in Vancouver as a 20 year old but didn't stick, went back to Honduras, then over to Europe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little highlight package for Flores. Has that aggressive pit bull like demeanor to him that we sorely lack in midfield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks good to me.

Side note: it’s too bad sun has basically set on Matías Laba‘a career. The classic version would have been great right about now.

Solid character too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/tombogert/status...gafKz7KLQ&s=19

BREAKING: The Portland Timbers are finalizing a deal to sign Canadian int'l GK Maxime Crepeau, per sources.

Crepeau, 29, made back-to-back MLS Cups w/ LAFC, winning 2022. Portland ecstatic to get one of MLS' top GKs in free agency & add his leadership.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Crepeau idea is dead and buried.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Crepeau idea is dead and buried.

Well looks like Sj is the guy still

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's our captain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably the best idea. Keeper is one of the least pressing issues on the team. Keep Johnson around for atleast half the year and hope Gavran keeps developing. Getting rid of the Italians and improving the CBs and midfield is probably the main priority of this window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Media in Honduras seems to be echoing the Flores to TFC rumor. Got a feeling this is a rumor with some real smoke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting strategy by Portland: sign two Canadian goalies as your starter and backup, and a Canadian as your anchor central defender.

I'm sure they have ample backup, but it does mean they lose three key defensive pieces in every international window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Interesting strategy by Portland: sign two Canadian goalies as your starter and backup, and a Canadian as your anchor central defender.

I'm sure they have ample backup, but it does mean they lose three key defensive pieces in every international window.
    They also have McGraw as their other starting CB. They could legit lose two CBs and two GKs every international window. An odd strategy, but a very Phil Neville strategy.

Edit - Got my Nevilles mixed up.
    Last edited by MikeForbes; 01-05-2024 at 09:41 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I await the "Phil Neville has learned" stories in March & April....we don't play them this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little highlight package for Flores. Has that aggressive pit bull like demeanor to him that we sorely lack in midfield.

Sounds reasonable. We need an experienced 6 (a 6 of any kind, really) and no doubt Herdman and his staff have played against him. I seem to remember him playing well against Canada. His Hungarian club paid 100,000 euros for him, and before that he’d always moved on a free including two seasons in Greece.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we have needed a midfield destroyer forever.

this guy should be cheap and is a known quantity in concacaf.

hopefully another rubio gem.