0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a HUGE plus if true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That fee and wages means he'd probably take over the third dp slot and we'd buy down Oso I guess?

The cynic in me says this move is so Bill "fan service, fuck thinking about an actual strategy" Manning it hurts. But, it's very obvious we were not going to spend Italian level money on a DP, so for this budget this should be a very good, low risk signing of a proven asset. As Bill Manning fan service moves go, assuming Richies head is fully in it, this is a good one.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    That fee and wages means he'd probably take over the third dp slot and we'd buy down Oso I guess?

The cynic in me says this move is so Bill "fan service, fuck thinking about an actual strategy" Manning it hurts. But, it's very obvious we were not going to spend Italian level money on a DP, so for this budget this should be a very good, low risk signing of a proven asset. As Bill Manning fan service moves go, assuming Richies head is fully in it, this is a good one.
    won't be a DP, no.

4 year deal (including 2027 option), so fee spread over 4 years. probably making 1.2 ish tops, so will be well under DP threshold.

ngl, assuming (reasonably, i think) that he's not a DP, i love this signing.

great MLS player, AND played his best football under herdman as a wingback with 3 CBs. can play LWB and RWB.
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 02-23-2024 at 08:33 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Confirmed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Setting aside the whole selling him, getting him back on loan, losing him, then buying him again drama that probably wasn't great business, I think have Richie is great. Has speed, will work very well in Herdman's system, has the trust of the coach and vice versa. Was our best player until he left last year. Fits a need in our system (as opposed to fan service/buying Canadian players for the point of it).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Richie as a player but I don’t feel like this is the move we need as we desperately need a striker. He played half the season for us last year and our shitty results were the same with and without him.

This just seems like a lazy decision and a luxury we can’t afford right now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ElvistheEvilScotsman View Post
    I like Richie as a player but I don’t feel like this is the move we need as we desperately need a striker. He played half the season for us last year and our shitty results were the same with and without him.

this isn't true lol, we underperformed as a 1 ppg team in the first half of the year.

after he left, we lost virtually every game and barely scored a goal

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ElvistheEvilScotsman View Post

We apparently have millions in xAM and this will give Herdman exactly what he likes in a wingback/midfielder. It's not a bad move honestly and if Herdman does rate our options at Striker like Mailula, not going to say no to shoring it up.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Richie is back

Great news for Canada as well. He needs the playing time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, this singing is a bone head move. I love him as a player. Speedy and paced RB. But 29, most likely will be in the TAM or 3rd DP money... Is he really what we need right now? I think this is another miss management on the front office. I really don't get it? Why are we spending money on someone like him? Can we not get someone cheaper? Younger and better yet able to grow with our system?...

Just baffles me this signing and people saying they love it, love the old Richie. Not the player he will be into his 30's. Reminds me of the Osorio contract....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having Laryea back is such a huge lift.

It was evident the team went downhill since the day he left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need speed on the wings for this whole thing to work. Buying speed isn't easy. Richie will be a big part of this season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Valdal View Post
    Yeah, this singing is a bone head move. I love him as a player. Speedy and paced RB. But 29, most likely will be in the TAM or 3rd DP money... Is he really what we need right now? I think this is another miss management on the front office. I really don't get it? Why are we spending money on someone like him? Can we not get someone cheaper? Younger and better yet able to grow with our system?...

Just baffles me this signing and people saying they love it, love the old Richie. Not the player he will be into his 30's. Reminds me of the Osorio contract....
    i mean, the contract goes until he's 31, which was basically the age oso was when he signed his contract.

why are we spending money on a known quantity who excels in the league and is proven to thrive in our manager's current system?

really?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    i mean, the contract goes until he's 31, which was basically the age oso was when he signed his contract.

why are we spending money on a known quantity who excels in the league and is proven to thrive in our manager's current system?

really?
    He was the only player last year who often got my arse out of my seat. I'm all in.

And yes we need a striker but you can't turn down this speed, drive, attitude, desire to win, culture fit etc etc

And yes I understand the sarcasm.

This makes me pretty happy and if that makes me an idiot so be it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post

really?
    My gripe isnt with the player, its with the contract amount and length

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 years is entirely fair amd not a dp.

Known quantity and played his best football under herdman.

Excels in lwb and rwb roles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huge signing. They got something very right.

If Spicer turns out any good, we're going to be very fast wide now.

Either way, we have a dangerous chance creator in all area of the pitch potentially. We have a stronger core with Long and Flores.

I'm not going to call it optimism until we win some games, but it sure beats the shit out of how things felt three months ago.

Rather impressed by the deal, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What was the initial transfer fee for Richie? Did we just pay back what Forest paid?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Huge signing. They got something very right.

If Spicer turns out any good, we're going to be very fast wide now.

Either way, we have a dangerous chance creator in all area of the pitch potentially. We have a stronger core with Long and Flores.

I'm not going to call it optimism until we win some games, but it sure beats the shit out of how things felt three months ago.

Rather impressed by the deal, too.
    Yup. These are very key positions in this system. Spicer is the young guy with upside some posters referenced. Need more assurance on the others side. Richie is that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    What was the initial transfer fee for Richie? Did we just pay back what Forest paid?
    Just under $1M. Nine-hundred and something.

Plus, he knows Herdman's system. No delays or pick up time required, just a few new teammates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I get the cynicism as I said, since knowing Manning, I doubt the strategic thinking went beyond "Fans like! Sign!" or his usual chechmark of signings of "Is Canadian? Is American? Is nationality with high population demographics in Toronto? Is a player who played with us in 2017? If yes to any, sign", but this is just not a bad move. He's a proven, known quantity in MLS and a very high performer in his position. We have greater needs elsewhere for sure, but Richie will add speed and width to this team. Now, we just need a striker of a similar calibre and some other glaring holes in the team sorted. If this move blocked us from getting that, I'd argue against it, but if we do have lots of Xam, sure, sign him up, he'll definitely improve the team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Richie rumour just dropped

Good for him. Got his European experience, got paid, and now comes home. Great story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Just under $1M. Nine-hundred and something.

Plus, he knows Herdman's system. No delays or pick up time required, just a few new teammates.
    So we actually paid a bit less than Forest did originally. That's not so bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    So we actually paid a bit less than Forest did originally. That's not so bad.
    I really like this move.

Assuming we play 3-4-3.
    Richie is obviously in midfield on the right hand spot.

Lets his offense hand shine more and the 3 at the back should provide more coverage for the one flaw in the game which was his sometimes suspect defending.

People forget that last season we were in or just outside the playoffs till May / June. When Richie left, Bob got canned we basically lost every game and never scored again.

He's passionate and hustles and we know he's a proven above average MLS player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh. Fits the whole "played here and is Canadian" quota, I guess. Just doesn't get me excited to spend a good that much on a RWB. Makes us a better team though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Good for him. Got his European experience, got paid, and now comes home. Great story.
    I think this is another lesson of don't go to England for EU experience, to me it was a failure. He could have been a starter in a non top 5 league over there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I think this is another lesson of don't go to England for EU experience, to me it was a failure. He could have been a starter in a non top 5 league over there.
    Agreed. The top two flights of football in England are so ruthless, you better have some real push from your team or other things happening for you to keep you on the field.

I thought he looked perfectly fine when he played. But he is a step slow at reading the game defensively at that level and they were not willing to give him the time to help him sort that out.

From a development perspective, I think literally anywhere else would have been more friendly. But he also probably took down a million pounds a year, not bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This genuinely is disheartening to me. We just can't move on from the past. I get why you guys are excited, but I personally just wanted to move on. Bring in new players to become club heros. Maybe actually develop someone. Not keep recycling the same names and faces.