Page 51 of 58 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152535455 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 1713
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    I'm going to assume it was a low fee since there's such little time left on his deal. Probably 250k or less, but Birmingham would want something to give them a reason to let him depart early. Better to get him here now and integrated for the full year than to wait for July when he'd be free. I'm guessing the team learned from the Insigne/Bernadeschi/Criscito arrivals that it's better to get them in at the beginning. You risk punting the whole season by waiting and giving up valuable points. Having him here from the beginning could save us a solid 6-12 points by having him in the lineup. He'd miss the first 23 games of the season if we waited for him to be free.
    If the fee is minor (as one would expect it would be) I think you pay it rather than going into the season playing three at the back with only 4 CBs. If Singh can play and Petretta is used there as well that’s a bit better but still it’s not good planning especially given so many spotty performances from everyone there last season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh, this smells like plan B or C central defender but we shall see. At least its something back there because that lot last year in defence have about as much trust in themselves to do the job as we have of them....and I think the rest of the team probably trusts them less then that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

No dude, probably just a token fee. Why are you assuming it's a negative?
    I'm going to assume it was a low fee since there's such little time left on his deal. Probably 250k or less, but Birmingham would want something to give them a reason to let him depart early. Better to get him here now and integrated for the full year than to wait for July when he'd be free. I'm guessing the team learned from the Insigne/Bernadeschi/Criscito arrivals that it's better to get them in at the beginning. You risk punting the whole season by waiting and giving up valuable points. Having him here from the beginning could save us a solid 6-12 points by having him in the lineup. He'd miss the first 23 games of the season if we waited for him to be free.
    Understand that BCFC would want some sort of transfer fee. Suspect it would be nominal; a token by standards. And while I am one who subscribes to the belief there is some budget room, at least about USD2.6M, without accounting for DFlores, every dollar matters given their situation. IIUC, KLong at BCFC was on a yearly gross wage of about GBP780K or about USD985K. IIRC, MHedges was on GC of about USD900K. Whatever amount KLong’s contract is for, IIUC, since it may be a one + one, the transfer amount may not get added/amortizied over 2 years but it will get tacked to the first/this year. So there is a possibility, not necessarily, probability, KLong may be about a first yearly USD1M CAP charge. That is my concern.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Not gonna go crazy over the video, but he looks like he can really ping a pass. Being 6'3 never hurts for a CB either.
    Has more speed then a lot of his opponents in that video but MLS speed is way quicker. Weight less then 150 by one account- he'd be a project as a U22.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think in Herdman or Hernandez's perfect world TFC's CB signings would be a 33 year old rotational player from the Championship (Long) or a 19 year old who hasn't logged any professional minutes (Ythallo). But, I am encouraged that they have identified that the biggest need this team has is the spine. Excited to see how the midfield operates with Flores in Bradley's old spot aswell.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think in Herdman or Hernandez's perfect world TFC's CB signings would be a 33 year old rotational player from the Championship (Long) or a 19 year old who hasn't logged any professional minutes (Ythallo). But, I am encouraged that they have identified that the biggest need this team has is the spine. Excited to see how the midfield operates with Flores in Bradley's old spot aswell.
    methinks we are going to have to walk before we can run.

and by that i mean win a few games and prove ourselves to be a semi (or even fully) functional football club before our A targets consider us a serious option again.

and fair enough. i always thought this was the danger with dunfield, his run was so disastrous and it's incredibly hard to recruit to a team that has won 1 in 20 or whatever it was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^
    Not a perfect world; yet TFC is not a stranger to it. Tried, tested and true joining… Kevin Long @ 33, Matt Hedges @ 33 and Drew Moore @ 31.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yeh, this smells like plan B or C central defender but we shall see. At least its something back there because that lot last year in defence have about as much trust in themselves to do the job as we have of them....and I think the rest of the team probably trusts them less then that.
    Yeah, the one year deal doesn’t exactly exude confidence. In Herdman’s comment on the signing, he doesn’t sound especially thrilled either. Of course, he doesn’t have to be, but it all sounds more like a stopgap than the signing of Moore and Hedges was.

Good though to have a vet in the mix. Here’s hoping he adjusts well to the league and develops some good chemistry with a couple of the other CBs. He can play right back also and that may well be needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One Football reporting a transfer fee for KLong of about GBP330K or about USD415K. Judge for ye selves if it’s nominal; and when incorporated in with his yearly wage is reasonable.

https://onefootball.com/en/transfers/39079899
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 02-21-2024 at 01:48 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would agree and back to central defender/spine, if Long can command the line and stay healthy it will be a massive improvement. We played decent defence with Hedges, that said we couldn’t score, injuries started and players revolted on each other and began quitting after one goal down. But it wasnt until the Phiily game last year 4-2 (or around then when he got injured and we got blown out. I like the 19 year old, what is there to lose. I am still Manning out 100% even with a modest turn around for all of his failed tinkering, hiring and postulating that it will get better, but for Herdman and Hernandez, they get some time.
    Last edited by Bushmancan; 02-21-2024 at 06:52 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    One Football reporting a transfer fee for KLong of about GBP330K or about USD415K. Judge for ye selves if it’s nominal; and when incorporated in with his yearly wage is reasonable.

That seems like they just plugged in his transfermarkt value which is listed at 300k Euros

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post

seems made up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    seems made up.
    More likely we covered his FIFA transfer fees. But I can seem them throwing in 150-300K to cover his technical remaining contract value for this year. He's probably not on that much pay wise, as he's coming from a backup role in the Championship, not a starter who's come down a level.

It's also meaningless. We have so much GAM we could buy him down to zero three times over and still have money left.

What we lack are slots and people willing to fill them.

That's probably at least partly because I'm told the club is trying to implement and maintain a solid set of per-position values, so that we don't grossly overspend. They're not going to go over the player's worth just to land them, basically, which has been our norm at times in the past.

They're also taking more care in how long contracts are, which is why Long is on a one-and-one: he's 33 and playing in a league with a different style. It makes sense for both parties to tread carefully.

Combine more care in spending with recent failures and a poisonous locker room last year and you end up with agents being reticent to send their client to TFC.

I'm actually glad they're being more careful. I'd rather have the rebuild be slow for actual reasons rather than it be slow because we're targeting the wrong people and getting jerked around for unsustainable wages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like we solved our international spot for Longy.

Traded 175K GAM to Montreal for International Spot

Last edited by SenorDingDong; 02-21-2024 at 02:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    Looks like we solved our international spot for Longy.

Traded 175K GAM to Montreal for International Spot

I suspect we already had one, either from the reversion of the Jesus Jimenez slot or from a 'homegrown' international now being considered domestic. This may be for the Brazilian kid. But I could be wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suspect we already had one, either from the reversion of the Jesus Jimenez slot or from a 'homegrown' international now being considered domestic. This may be for the Brazilian kid. But I could be wrong.
    No this is for long. We're already full on our regular 8 plus 3 bonus slots (the JJ return slot is one of our regular 8 slots) . Long is our 12th international.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No this is for long. We're already full on our regular 8 plus 3 bonus slots (the JJ return slot is one of our regular 8 slots) . Long is our 12th international.
    Hmm, I thought Latif Blessing had a green card, which would make him domestic. Turns out it was revoked at New England. It appears he had an ongoing battle to get his family into the country and failed, but to keep it he had to visit them not more than once per year.

That sort of bites. As they haven't traded for another, it sort of indicates we're not getting anyone else international anytime soon. Or maybe they just figure they have enough GAM to buy another if necessary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, I thought Latif Blessing had a green card, which would make him domestic. Turns out it was revoked at New England. It appears he had an ongoing battle to get his family into the country and failed, but to keep it he had to visit them not more than once per year.

That sort of bites. As they haven't traded for another, it sort of indicates we're not getting anyone else international anytime soon. Or maybe they just figure they have enough GAM to buy another if necessary.
    A Diamonde buy out would free up another spot. Be interesting to see what happens with the striker position. Guys like Diamonde, Mbongue and Perruzza are definitely on the outside looking in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Diamonde buy out would free up another spot. Be interesting to see what happens with the striker position. Guys like Diamonde, Mbongue and Perruzza are definitely on the outside looking in.
    I assume Mbongue and Peruzza are going to either get a ton of MLS2 minutes or go on loan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assume Mbongue and Peruzza are going to either get a ton of MLS2 minutes or go on loan.
    I could see Perruzza being permanently transferred to the CPL or USL. He isn't good enough for MLS currently and the best choice for his career development would be to go elsewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I don't think it will be the last bit of business we do prior to the weekend … I would say if we were able to secure two more pieces prior to Matchday 1, I think we'd feel quite positive about that," he added.

TFC, which acquired Long this week, is sending Montreal US$50,000 in 2024 allocation money and US$125,000 in 2025.

https://twitter.com/NeilMDavidson/st...9lg-e_Eaw&s=19

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    "I don't think it will be the last bit of business we do prior to the weekend … I would say if we were able to secure two more pieces prior to Matchday 1, I think we'd feel quite positive about that," he added.

TFC, which acquired Long this week, is sending Montreal US$50,000 in 2024 allocation money and US$125,000 in 2025.

https://twitter.com/NeilMDavidson/st...9lg-e_Eaw&s=19
    Ythallo would be one move. Gotta think the other would have to be a domestic signing or trade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ythallo would be one move. Gotta think the other would have to be a domestic signing or trade.
    Matty ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matty ?
    Maybe, gonna be hard to pull off too many more international signings though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The LA Galaxy is waiving defender Chris Mavinga. The 32-year-old Congolese center back appeared 21 times for the Galaxy in 2023. Mavinga previously played for Toronto FC, where he played in 153 matches. #LAGalaxy

https://twitter.com/mlsnetwork/statu...hmh8ACYpA&s=19

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More likely we covered his FIFA transfer fees. But I can seem them throwing in 150-300K to cover his technical remaining contract value for this year. He's probably not on that much pay wise, as he's coming from a backup role in the Championship, not a starter who's come down a level.

It's also meaningless. We have so much GAM we could buy him down to zero three times over and still have money left.

What we lack are slots and people willing to fill them.

That's probably at least partly because I'm told the club is trying to implement and maintain a solid set of per-position values, so that we don't grossly overspend. They're not going to go over the player's worth just to land them, basically, which has been our norm at times in the past.

They're also taking more care in how long contracts are, which is why Long is on a one-and-one: he's 33 and playing in a league with a different style. It makes sense for both parties to tread carefully.

Combine more care in spending with recent failures and a poisonous locker room last year and you end up with agents being reticent to send their client to TFC.

I'm actually glad they're being more careful. I'd rather have the rebuild be slow for actual reasons rather than it be slow because we're targeting the wrong people and getting jerked around for unsustainable wages.
    this all sounds very promising and sounds like the people in charge have actually learned from years past.

feel like a bunch of players we have on the roster now wouldn't have been signed with this approach (insigne, berna, oso extension potentially at that rate, petretta, rosted)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The LA Galaxy is waiving defender Chris Mavinga. The 32-year-old Congolese center back appeared 21 times for the Galaxy in 2023. Mavinga previously played for Toronto FC, where he played in 153 matches. #LAGalaxy

Saw one tweet about this and half the responses were variations on "Now get rid of the nephew"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmmmmmm.......

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hell no...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you waive a player and they aren't claimed, the budget charge stays on your books, yea?