Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 82 of 82
  1. #61
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    17,138
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ^CBus are finding and developing young players in numbers. We paid Bez' tuition for that, I guess. Maybe he learned from all the mistakes he saw or made here, I have seen that a lot in life.

    I am probably overly tuned in because of JRR and Farsi, but there is a meaningful youth wave there. Aidan Morris. Zawadski. They have a young GK they picked 12th overall last year in the Superdraft that was good enough to win the starting job (imagine).
    Last edited by ensco; 09-28-2023 at 05:55 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  2. #62
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    15,249
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^CBus are finding and developing young players in numbers. We paid Bez' tuition for that, I guess. Maybe he learned from all the mistakes he saw or made here, I have seen that a lot in life.

    I am probably overly tuned in because of JRR and Farsi, but there is a meaningful youth wave there. Aidan Morris. Zawadski. They have a young GK they picked 12th overall last year in the Superdraft that was good enough to win the starting job (imagine).
    That’s totally fair.

    When you think about it, that’s a lot of “free” talent which is coming in the door. Meanwhile, TFC is basically dependent on outside signings for everything. Our academy players are so raw we basically have to re-train them once they get to the first team. So it’s a lot of suffering in the hope they work out. They really need to fix what is going on down there.

  3. #63
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    17,138
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    That’s totally fair.

    When you think about it, that’s a lot of “free” talent which is coming in the door. Meanwhile, TFC is basically dependent on outside signings for everything. Our academy players are so raw we basically have to re-train them once they get to the first team. So it’s a lot of suffering in the hope they work out. They really need to fix what is going on down there.
    It is the whole reason I am totally unimpressed by Bez at TFC, and more impressed by him at the Crew.

    Signing Cucho or Zelarayan…. I mean, it's a skill getting that right, but that isn’t really the hard part.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  4. #64
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    7,766
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Signing Cucho or Zelarayan…. I mean, it's a skill getting that right, but that isn’t really the hard part.
    Nowadays we would never do these types of moves because neither guy would sell tickets before stepping on the pitch or allow for an extravagant press conference to utilize for PR purposes.

    For all intents and purposes we are MLS 2.5 forever much like the Galaxy are MLS 2.0 forever.

    And by forever I mean until Manning is fired.

  5. #65
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    5,646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Proud of our communication.


  6. #66
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    17,138
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ^This is the MLSE special. Never make the decision maker available, and let the guy dangle. Which causes the dangling guy to say things with the wrong motives in play.

    Richard Peddie, for years, was the guy commenting on the MLSE Board's confidence in … Richard Peddie.

    Also: Molinaro should know better. I am becoming disappointed in him.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  7. #67
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    116
    Posts
    21,614
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yeh...saw that and scratched my head a bit. Oct 1 means Herdman takes over Oct 1. Is there some thought he won't? If so, asking Dunfield isn't the right person to ask. If he is, asking Dunfield is...weird.

  8. #68
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    116
    Posts
    21,614
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yeh...saw that and scratched my head a bit. Oct 1 means Herdman takes over Oct 1. Is there some thought he won't? If so, asking Dunfield isn't the right person to ask. If he is, asking Dunfield is...weird.
    And now OneSoccer has gone off on this as if Oct 1st and not being around to prep for tomorrow is weird....

  9. #69
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    17,138
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ^That Dunfield quote, it is positively weird. It has my spidey sense up big time.

    It's as though Dunfield hasn’t heard anything from Manning in a long time… and why would that be? Wouldn’t Dunfield's situation re going back to the Academy, how he transitions to Herdman, all that… be kind of obvious topics of conversation these days?

    I know, I know, it could just be regulation dysfunction, of course.

    But it makes me think that Dunfield is getting only silence because (i) Manning is leaving, and (ii) Manning now knows it.

    EDIT: I haven’t listened to onesoccer… are they saying this too?
    Last edited by ensco; 09-29-2023 at 05:52 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  10. #70
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    16,619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^That Dunfield quote, it is positively weird. It has my spidey sense up big time.

    It's as though Dunfield hasn’t heard anything from Manning in a long time… and why would that be? Wouldn’t Dunfield's situation re going back to the Academy, how he transitions to Herdman, all that… be kind of obvious topics of conversation these days?

    I know, I know, it could just be regulation dysfunction, of course.

    But it makes me think that Dunfield is getting only silence because (i) Manning is leaving, and (ii) Manning now knows it.

    EDIT: I haven’t listened to onesoccer… are they saying this too?
    Or he's just shellshocked from the past two months and the mere suggestion of something new he hasn't heard makes him jump like a cat by a rocking chair.

  11. #71
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    116
    Posts
    21,614
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

    EDIT: I haven’t listened to onesoccer… are they saying this too?

    They are saying that "not having Herdman before Oct 1 after a late August announcment is unheard of in soccer and the players must be wondering what is going on"

    Which is a) not unheard of if a contract is an issue & b) nothing a professional can't handle


    My spidey sense is the same people trying to create things about Insigne at training a few weeks ago are behind this discussion - given who I thought was behind that, I am really wondering how deeply angry somebody has to be to burn a bridge for this long.

    Molinaro should know better then to run after a nothing burger.

  12. #72
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    15,249
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yeh...saw that and scratched my head a bit. Oct 1 means Herdman takes over Oct 1. Is there some thought he won't? If so, asking Dunfield isn't the right person to ask. If he is, asking Dunfield is...weird.
    Well Dunfield might not be the right person to ask but he’s the person that’s available. Rest of them are hiding in their offices

  13. #73
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere, Anywhere.
    Posts
    11,202
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It is very weird as Herdman did announce that Dunfield would be on an assistant on his staff, so are we to assume they have not met at all recently. This is all very strange.

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^That Dunfield quote, it is positively weird. It has my spidey sense up big time.

    It's as though Dunfield hasn’t heard anything from Manning in a long time… and why would that be? Wouldn’t Dunfield's situation re going back to the Academy, how he transitions to Herdman, all that… be kind of obvious topics of conversation these days?

    I know, I know, it could just be regulation dysfunction, of course.

    But it makes me think that Dunfield is getting only silence because (i) Manning is leaving, and (ii) Manning now knows it.

    EDIT: I haven’t listened to onesoccer… are they saying this too?

    Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

  14. #74
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    116
    Posts
    21,614
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I wonder if there is a non-compete clause in the CanMNT contract for Herdman. Illegal in Ontario now but I can see CanMNT using the most "open" jurisdiction.

    If so, he might have been counselled to do nothing that could be construed as "managing" prior to Oct 1.

    I think the concern about this is artificial.


    Looked at the video - about 10 minutes in - https://www.torontofc.ca/video/mls-w...9-dunfield-fix - less weird then John's tweet

  15. #75
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    17,138
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ^Two different conversations…

    Herdman not at work yet: not so weird (to me), contracts have notice obligations

    Dunfield statement: weird (specifically because it may be telling us things about Manning being AWOL)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  16. #76
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    5,646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  17. #77
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    15,249
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Not that I blame them in all respects but it’s hard to see this as anything but saving face to sell the hope of the future to save renewals.Herdman shows up and gets smashed for 3 games and they know they have nothing to tell people.

    This is an ongoing strategy of bad management teams, keep extending timelines and moving the goal posts. We saw it with Mo Johnston and we saw it with Bob when things fell off the rails. We see it with Manning delaying taking action on Bob and other places too.

    No judgment on Herdman here but a lot could be done in the time that easily gets thrown in the garbage around here.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 09-30-2023 at 12:16 PM.

  18. #78
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Is it me or does it feel like the conversation about renewals and future of the team seem awfully quiet compared to other shit seasons?

    I’m struggling to justify renewing my seats in 117. I like where they are but candidly the thought of putting in the time and money to come in from Hamilton significantly outweighs the quality of the product on the field.

    I have three seats and I thought I could justify renewing two this season but the front office won’t let me do that.

    Will next season be an empty stadium or decently filled on the promise we can only get better?

    Whatever happened to town halls with the supporters groups? I’m guessing Management fears the lynch mob and only would entertain having one when we are having success.

  19. #79
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    17,138
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ^Not just you. The opposite of love isn’t hate, it is indifference. World football is filled with teams that wrecked their relationship with fans and slowly drifted into irrelevance.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

  20. #80
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    960
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^Not just you. The opposite of love isn’t hate, it is indifference. World football is filled with teams that wrecked their relationship with fans and slowly drifted into irrelevance.
    TFC has already started going down that road. I wish The Athletic or some other journal not linked to Bell or Roger's would do a story on the decline of TFC since 2019, that examines the role played by Bill Manning and also the MLSE Board, who I would argue are equally to blame by just sitting back and letting it happen. The fact MLSE has operated without a CEO for such a long period speaks to the dysfunction of the Board.

  21. #81
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    116
    Posts
    21,614
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    No judgment on Herdman here but a lot could be done in the time that easily gets thrown in the garbage around here.
    Not sold on that being possible.

    He has 3 games

    2 are in the next 8 days.

    Then the last one, the one he is coming in as full manager, is 2 weeks later.

    IF he is only coming Oct 1st because of contractual reasons and not earlier, then realistically, do I really care about how he does away to Charlotte & NYRB with only 2 days of training with a group of players that we have all pretty much agreed is crap.

    Give him time to bed in - a spring training with sharper opponents.

    I'm ok with this (and they should announce this approach on Oct 1)

  22. #82
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    16,619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Not sold on that being possible.

    He has 3 games

    2 are in the next 8 days.

    Then the last one, the one he is coming in as full manager, is 2 weeks later.

    IF he is only coming Oct 1st because of contractual reasons and not earlier, then realistically, do I really care about how he does away to Charlotte & NYRB with only 2 days of training with a group of players that we have all pretty much agreed is crap.

    Give him time to bed in - a spring training with sharper opponents.

    I'm ok with this (and they should announce this approach on Oct 1)
    Yeah, I figured this is just damage limitation. They promised he's coming in so they have to give him one game at least this year.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •