Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ranking of Toronto FC's all time Designated Players

Here is my ranking from best to worst. Some did well but were here for a short time. Some were (are) awful.
    1. Giovinco
    2. Pozuelo
    3. Bradley
    4. Altidore
    5. Koevermans
    6. Piatti
    7. Laba
    8. DeGuzman
    9. Bernadeschi
    10. Defoe
    11. Frings
    12. Insigne
    13. Soltado
    14. Gilberto
    15. Osorio
    16. Hasli
    17. Salcedo
    18. Mista

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For my money Defoe & Solteldo we're definitely better than Bernardeschi & Insigne. Still internally debating Gilberto vs them two. It's close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giovinco is definitely number one. He's far and away better than any other player we have ever had and likely will ever have.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Giovinco is definitely number one. He's far and away better than any other player we have ever had and likely will ever have.
    I don't think he is that far and away from Pozuelo really but he is #1 for sure. Giovinco had a fairly good team around him while Pozuelo had a lot of the trash from 2018 and 2021-present along side him being of little to no use. If anything he carried those teams to resepectability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insigne/Berna definitely top 3 worst by default because of their wage. At least Mista was a one season(one goal) expenditure, it really didn't affect long term planning when you think about it.

With these two Italians we cannot remake the roster properly for the next two years at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think Osorio should be on this list as he's a TAM players that's only temporarily on DP for accounting purposes.

Anyway Defoe, in performance should be higher as he had 11 goals in 19 games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Giovinco
    2. Pozuelo
    3. Altidore
    4. Bradley
    5. Koevermans
    6. Defoe
    7. Laba
    8. Piatti
    9. Gilberto
    10. Frings
    11. Insigne
    12. Bernadeschi
    13. Deguzman
    14. Salcedo
    15. Soteldo
    16. Hasli
    17. Mista

I ranked this purely on performance, not relative value to spend. If we did that, Insigne would be bottom of the list by a country mile.

I removed Osorio as he's a DP in name only, for cap management.

It's worth noting that of the last five, only Soteldo really contributed much of anything, and he was such a cancer it was nowhere near enough. Deguzman just filled space in midfield and did almost nothing well, Salcedo looked suspiciously like he was throwing games; Hasli was a mid-season bust and Mista was just a complete bust.

I scored Defoe high because 11 goals is a decent return for 16 games, or whatever it was. He was just unhappy here, and given this team over the years, who could blame him.

I thought Piatti was a TAM player, but I defer to others as my memory for detail ain't great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cant comment on full list as I havent seen all play for TFC. I can say Soteldo should be higher than both italians 100%
    I understand he was arrogant and a cancer- but look at the team he had around him with the coaches- it probably even worse situation then the italians are facing.

His numbers for TFC is underrated - production was damn good -

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

It's worth noting that of the last five, only Soteldo really contributed much of anything, and he was such a cancer it was nowhere near enough.
    As bad as he was off the field he never had an Athletic article about him working behind the scenes to get the manager fired, saying he wanted to be moved right away, calling other teammates "the manager's sons", or vaping on planes and in the training grounds.

I think our current cancers are worse than he was and that's only what we hear because they're still here. Imagine what will come out when they're gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You may be correct. I wasn't sure how low to put them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    For my money Defoe & Solteldo we're definitely better than Bernardeschi & Insigne. Still internally debating Gilberto vs them two. It's close.
    You may be correct. I wasn't sure how low to put them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    As bad as he was off the field he never had an Athletic article about him working behind the scenes to get the manager fired, saying he wanted to be moved right away, calling other teammates "the manager's sons", or vaping on planes and in the training grounds.

I think our current cancers are worse than he was and that's only what we hear because they're still here. Imagine what will come out when they're gone.
    He had less effect on others, I guess. I understand we lost a couple of decent prospects, though, who were let go after spending too much time partying with him. I may be letting the fact that he seems to be a total dick influence his positioning.

He's now on the bench at Santos, having been released by three clubs since he left us.

They may be worse cancers, sure, and more harmful, largely because of expectation. Soleldo is a 23-year-old moron with golden feet. The Italians are both supposed to be world class players.

I note Transfermarkt, which rated Bernie at $45M just three years ago, now rates him at $6M, less than we pay him per season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd take Gilberto and Soteltdo over Insigne and Bernie

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh,I call recency bias on a lot of this.

Soteldo was toxic crud who did nothing but a commercial for battery operated power tools.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not gonna rank them all, but in a world where no one got home sick, I think Defoe would of been the best of the bunch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Not gonna rank them all, but in a world where no one got home sick, I think Defoe would have been the best of the bunch.
    Good player, needed service. He wanted it on a platter and then he’d do the last piece.

Not everyone is Giovinco but most guys will at least give you something. That momma’s boy ass hat just sat on the half way line with his hands on his hips.