Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Totally agree. And yet even by making the absolute worst roster ever produced in MLS, he still was managing to get more points per game the dunfield who is working with a better roster than the start of the season.

11 games, 1 win, 10 losses, 6 goals for, 24 goals against. Whatever bad habits TD is trying to undue, it’s only gotten worse.
    Being marginally better than terry dunfield isn't exactly a reason to be proud

Nobody believed dunfield was the answer, being better (or more accurately, less crap) than him doesn't prove anything. It'll be whether we improve after a year of herdman or not that you can judge. And even then it'll be a case of a bad hire and not a wrong dismissal

There is absolutely no credible argument that we should have stuck with Bradley. He completely shat the bed on roster construction (and on gutting the talent we did have) worse than anyone in league history, had a divided dressing room and was completely unable to get even mediocre results from the squad that was left. His successors being bad can't change the reality that was him here. He'll be judged on his results here and they are what they are.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hiring Dunfield to make the team worse, instill even worse habits, and set us back to unheard of levels of disbelief is yet another nail in Manning's coffin and a starting one for Hernandez's.

Time for both of them to go. House needs cleaned and they should be holding the doors open for about 85% of our FO, roster, coaching staff, & academy system as they hit the bricks.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 09-21-2023 at 06:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

If there was a bright spot, it was that I kinda sorta saw a glimmer of something from the Italians.
    For forty minutes. Then as soon as we went a goal down, Insigne decided to stop passing the damn ball. He was a HUGE part of the problem last night. Fede too, but to a lesser extent.

We beat Philly because we moved the ball quickly, put it into dangerous areas, and trusted someone to be there.

Last night, they both tried to win it themselves -- mostly Insigne -- and it utterly wrecked any chance we had.

They're just cancers on the team. The sooner they're both gone, the better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Hiring Dunfield to make the team worse, instill even worse habits, and set us back to unheard of levels of disbelief is yet another nail in Manning's coffin and a starting one for Hernandez's.

Time for both of them to go. House needs cleaned and they should be holding the doors open for about 85% of our FO, roster, coaching staff, & academy system as they hit the bricks.
    Dunfield hasn't made them worse. It's obvious from the last four games, notably the Philly game, what he's trying to do.

He just is getting zero co-operation from two players. We'd be weak even if they weren't pretty much fucking everything up, but that IS what's going on.

Under Bob, they were wedged into trying to play his system. They hated it. So now, they're just ignoring coaching. It's fucking obvious from the repeated games with 20-30 mins of effort followed by 60 mins of dogshit.

We go down, they both lose any confidence in their teammates and starts showboating to prove their own value.

That's what happened last night.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Dunfield hasn't made them worse. It's obvious from the last four games, notably the Philly game, what he's trying to do.

He just is getting zero co-operation from two players. We'd be weak even if they weren't pretty much fucking everything up, but that IS what's going on.

Under Bob, they were wedged into trying to play his system. They hated it. So now, they're just ignoring coaching. It's fucking obvious from the repeated games with 20-30 mins of effort followed by 60 mins of dogshit.

We go down, they both lose any confidence in their teammates and starts showboating to prove their own value.

If you saw it then Dunfield should have seen it too and by letting the two of them go out there weekly and repeat the same selfish actions, it is damaging the rest of the team. Not exactly setting a good 90 minute example for our young impressionable players. No co-operation from the two DPs should mean they sit and when I say sit, I mean sit at home. It's not like we're playing for anything and need they're "skill" so send a message and banish both from the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you saw it then Dunfield should have seen it too and by letting the two of them go out there weekly and repeat the same selfish actions, it is damaging the rest of the team. Not exactly setting a good 90 minute example for our young impressionable players. No co-operation from the two DPs should mean they sit and when I say sit, I mean sit at home. It's not like we're playing for anything and need they're "skill" so send a message and banish both from the team.

I don't think he has the power to do that. The team wants to move them, so they have to play well. So they have to be in the lineup.

But if they're in the lineup.... we won't play well.

He's stuck in the same rock/hard place the rest of us are on that one. I mean, I get what your'e saying and that IS what should happen. They should sit his ass for the rest of the season, make it clear if he wants to prove himself for a move, it'll have to be as playing in a team, and it'll have to be beyond the next five games.

But I also know how shortsighted they are. They would probably rather he showboat, score a couple of impressive goals and we lose. Because winning means nothing right now, but a few highlight reel goals and he might be out of here.

What a debacle.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think he has the power to do that. The team wants to move them, so they have to play well. So they have to be in the lineup.
    Hopefully Herdman does.

If not, we're in for more of the same until they finally dump Manning, Hernandez, & everyone else in the FO.

I am this close to starting the Hernandez Deathwatch because he's next and he hasn't done a thing to prove he should survive this.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...and renewal notices came out yesterday too just before the game. I wonder how many cancellations they are receiving this morning after last night's showing. Has to be at least a couple members out there that felt this game was the final straw.... It is just sad watching this team right now. Can't believe the biggest selling point for our front office for 2024 renewals is a Miami game next year with a possible sighting of Messi. Pathetic. Feels like 2007/2008 again waiting for LAG to come to town to possibly see Beckham.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Feels like 2007/2008 again waiting for LAG to come to town to possibly see Beckham.
    Only difference is we're paying a lot more to watch something much worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just want to call out that in a sea of crap and bad play Coello continues to look like a tidy player for us. I’m just not sure what we do with the other 10 spots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I just want to call out that in a sea of crap and bad play Coello continues to look like a tidy player for us. I’m just not sure what we do with the other 10 spots.
    Him, Kerr and Franklin only bright spots this season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only difference is we're paying a lot more to watch something much worse.
    This is way worse. Those teams had heart- and the 2007 team was competitive until it got wrecked by injuries.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not zero co-operation... it's lack of fitness. These two are not good enough not to train seriously and still be able to have a decent game. Overpaid divas...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is way worse. Those teams had heart- and the 2007 team was competitive until it got wrecked by injuries.
    I don’t know about that, they were flawed as hell in my estimation. Our plan to get our attackers the ball was a 90 lbs Andy Welsh who blew over in the wind and was incredibly slow. Carl Robinson played hospital passes to everybody. Jim Brennan stood like 40 yards off his attacker while they blasted in crosses all day from his flank. Our CB’s were putrid.

Ronnie O’Brien was the only above average player. Yes he got injured and wrecks himself but he would never have been able to do it all himself.

Overall it was a MO Johnston project and Mo was awful.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t know about that, they were flawed as hell in my estimation. Our plan to get our attackers the ball was a 90 lbs Andy Welsh who blew over in the wind and was incredibly slow. Carl Robinson played hospital passes to everybody. Jim Brennan stood like 40 yards off his attacker while they blasted in crosses all day from his flank. Our CB’s were putrid.

Ronnie O’Brien was the only above average player. Yes he got injured and wrecks himself but he would never have been able to do it all himself.

Overall it was a MO Johnston project and Mo was awful.
    That team healthy would probably beat this team today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That team healthy would probably beat this team today.
    League has grown leaps and bounds since that time. Bottom of the roster were “apprentices” on $12k a year, even the average pay wasn’t great. Plus there’s been a lot of evolution in the sport in general.

I think today’s team destroys 2007 no questions asked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

League has grown leaps and bounds since that time. Bottom of the roster were “apprentices” on $12k a year, even the average pay wasn’t great. Plus there’s been a lot of evolution in the sport in general.

I think today’s team destroys 2007 no questions asked.
    They basically called Mo an enormous cunt on Footy Prime this week. Forrest and Brennan noted he would go to bars and order a Champagne cocktail that cost $60 a glass, drink it all night, then leave the bill for the others, sometimes in the thousands of dollars.

At the end one of them made an oblique reference to nobody ever having a nice thing to say about him. Puts the whole celtic/rangers/TFC transfer payola/laissez faire management in perspective.

I also think this team beats that team. The league then was basically what USL-C is now, maybe even slightly lower.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also think this team beats that team. The league then was basically what USL-C is now, maybe even slightly lower.
    Somedays we play like USL-C too regardless of who is on the team and who gets paid what.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They basically called Mo an enormous cunt on Footy Prime this week. Forrest and Brennan noted he would go to bars and order a Champagne cocktail that cost $60 a glass, drink it all night, then leave the bill for the others, sometimes in the thousands of dollars.

At the end one of them made an oblique reference to nobody ever having a nice thing to say about him. Puts the whole celtic/rangers/TFC transfer payola/laissez faire management in perspective.

And I thought my opinion of the man couldn’t get any lower, he really is scum.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is obviously a complete waste of time, but putting aside relativism (the league is obviously way better now, no argument there) and just speaking to TFC's ability to compete…

The 2007 team, having lost its first four games without scoring, won five and tied four of its next 12 games. We walloped a number of good teams in that stretch (including a memorable 4-0 pasting of Dallas, that's the game Robinson did the windmill celebration in). We were in a playoff team, halfway through the season…

Then a whole bunch of injuries hit, and it all fell apart. Even then, piling up losses on our way to dead last, we played with heart, and that is why that final game, against eventual conference champion NE, felt so great when Dichio scored that late goal to tie it. Anybody here who remembers that game, well, it wasn’t just about that game. That team had pride.

We have had absolutely none of that in 2023. We had the injuries but that's the only comparison. No two game stretch of relative excellence (let alone 12 games), no comebacks, no pluck.

I am certain Mo was a king sized prick btw. Those 2007 players played their hearts out for us, and for each other, not for Mo. There were songs for six or seven different guys on that team, it wasn’t just for Dichio, we sang them all the time… and they knew it. Marvell Wynne, I heard him say on a podcast a couple of years ago that nothing was like those couple of years in Toronto in his whole career, in terms of the relationship with the fans.

Like I said, it isn’t even close. Things were way way better that year.
    Last edited by ensco; 09-22-2023 at 03:17 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like I said, it isn’t even close. Things were way way better that year.

Better effort. A handful of better players. On balance, that team would do as badly or worse than this in this version of the league.

I think it's semantics, in other words. Certainly, that was a better TEAM, but largely through effort. Better players? Eh... hard to say. MLS really stunk the joint out back then, let's be honest.