Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By all rights, that shouldn't have happened last night. There was no indication over the last couple of months that TFC had anything in them like this, and Philly is one of the elite teams in the East. I can only think of a couple of reasons why this result happened.

1. Hurdman must have said something or the players were acutely aware of his presence. That's the only difference between last night and the previous couple of months.
    2. Philly coaching staff drew up a game plan based on Bradley-ball, which TFC didn't play last night. Perhaps Dunfield managed to break them out of that ret, like someone mentioned upthread?
    3. Philly players underestimated TFC based on current form and eased up mentally. They thought they were playing a team with no morale that would roll over and got burned.

I mean, the difference between this game and the previous couple of months was so stark, and the result so unexpected. I was one of those tinfoil-hat wearers, I would look into someone on the Philly team being on the take or someone in the MLS Front Office pulled some levers to ensure TFC won. I'm wondering what the other teams will come up with to counter now. I'm curious, but not hopeful (that's been beaten out of me this year) to see how they come out next game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

only michael bradleys third game back and all of a sudden a win after 10 straight losses in all competitions and 11 straight games without winning in the league...1.1 ppg with him playing which is not good but an absolutely horrific 0.65 without him in the league...add to that 3 losses in the cups...the only thing that was keeping this team from completely falling apart early in the season was michael bradley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir. View Post
    only michael bradleys third game back and all of a sudden a win after 10 straight losses in all competitions and 11 straight games without winning in the league...1.1 ppg with him playing which is not good but an absolutely horrific 0.65 without him in the league...add to that 3 losses in the cups...the only thing that was keeping this team from completely falling apart early in the season was michael bradley
    He was really good last night.

He had some problems early with letting a couple of guys behind him in the box, as if he was playing an anchor role. But once those disappeared he was really effective, particularly at cutting off passes.

Good football brain, slow legs notwithstanding.

I thought this assessment of the match from MLSsoccer.com was amusing:

TORONTO FC - 3 | PHILADELPHIA UNION - 1
    L. Insigne (23'), D. Kerr (58'), J. Osorio (63') | J. Carranza (45')

What happened?: I… what?

So, did we learn anything?: I………… what????????

I mean……. this league is never anything but on-brand and you have to respect that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Annnnd.... a non-miserable team recap story with lots of happy quotes (and a terrible lede. Jesus H, James, learn to write a fucking lede will ya?)

https://www.torontofc.ca/news/reds-c...g-long-overdue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    So...are we mathematically eliminated from playoffs yet, or do we have a tiny chance!?!
    The beauty of the new MLS playoff format is that even the worst team in the league cannot be mathematically eliminated until the final gameweek of the season. It's genius.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    The beauty of the new MLS playoff format is that even the worst team in the league cannot be mathematically eliminated until the final gameweek of the season. It's genius.
    We're 10 out with 21 points available. So our magic number is effectively three losses and a draw, four games if we're going by what opponents do.

So we're not technically dead but man, those are long odds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    We're 10 out with 21 points available. So our magic number is effectively three losses and a draw, four games if we're going by what opponents do.

So we're not technically dead but man, those are long odds.
    I know, I was just mocking this playoff system. We shouldn't even technically have a chance at this stage.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know, I was just mocking this playoff system. We shouldn't even technically have a chance at this stage.
    the joys of 3 points for a win… and massive parity (at least in terms of points) through the middle of the table.

On an unrelated note I had forgotten that it was supposed to be fun watching TFC play. Also, I don’t think I have even heard BMO that quiet for the final 10 min with a 2 goal lead. It was almost as if the whole stadium was holding its breath.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought we were done when Philly scored just before the half, its still surreal that we won, scored 3 goals and looked like we could have had more. Means nothing in the grand scheme of things but sure was a welcome change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully this is a sign that Herdman can inspire these guys. They are bottom of the league - now it is time to fight for respect and the badge. They need a mission. Just think about 2017 - they lost on that cold night in 2016, and no one forgot. The next year they came back for vengeance. Last night we saw a sign of that fight and fire.

I know many have been critical of the Herdman hire, but I think it could be an inspired one. He is the right guy for this mission.
    Last edited by wopchop; 08-31-2023 at 02:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    I thought we were done when Philly scored just before the half, its still surreal that we won, scored 3 goals and looked like we could have had more. Means nothing in the grand scheme of things but sure was a welcome change.
    I thought we were done with that goal at the half too. What would be the odds of us scoring not 1, not 2, but 3 goals in a game?!! Lol!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i want everyone to remain level headed- TFC hasnt won away in almost a full calendar year- 1 win doesnt erase the hardship and f'up's from this upper management team.

do not forget the man who put TFC in this position is still here- a single win or winning out the rest of the season doesnt excuse- bill manning for being held accountable for his mis-steps ( the athletic article really had it on point - regarding the best job in MLS)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    i want everyone to remain level headed- ...
    Why start now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The insane thing is, we technically have the perfect schedule to pull off an enormous upset.

It's still not going to happen, but every team in the 10 pts ahead of us with a couple of exceptions is playing a stronger team EVERY week until the end of the season.

There are two or three where they're playing each other but for the most part, it's top of the table against bottom.

So all we have to do is when seven games straight, including games against Cincy and Miami.

Piece of piss!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The insane thing is, we technically have the perfect schedule to pull off an enormous upset.

It's still not going to happen, but every team in the 10 pts ahead of us with a couple of exceptions is playing a stronger team EVERY week until the end of the season.

There are two or three where they're playing each other but for the most part, it's top of the table against bottom.

So all we have to do is when seven games straight, including games against Cincy and Miami.

Piece of piss?
    Yeah, we play Charlotte, Miami, Red Bulls, NYCFC - all teams playing for position. Then we got Cincinnati, Orlando and Vancouver. Theoretically it could happen, but probability very low.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can’t we just be happy with a win a few goals and first overall pick in the Super draft, I don’t want to see a late season run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Super draft means little. I realize there have been some useful players to come out of that process but half the magic here appears to be good scouting as opposed to a high pick.

I’m not even bothering to think about our place in the table. Just want to see the team play a bit better and stabilize. That would go a long way towards framing next year as a potential for a positive start, which is the most important thing here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can’t we just be happy with a win a few goals and first overall pick in the Super draft, I don’t want to see a late season run.
    I'd just like to see a few wins at home to make it fun again to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

will probably trade the pick and 1million in game for a useless player LOL

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First overall pick in the draft is meaningless usually. Look at who worked out in recent drafts. Pretty random. Takes solid scouting and no matter what, we're getting a top 3, maybe top 5 pick if something crazy happens. First is also probably unlikely due to the dumpster fire Rapids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OKay so compromise we win at home and lose on the road, I just think the draft pick might be good with Herdman’s staff making the pick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OKay so compromise we win at home and lose on the road, I just think the draft pick might be good with Herdman’s staff making the pick
    Duncan Maguire was the consensus best player in the NCAA and only went sixth. Now he's a 10 goal scorer likely going to Europe soon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wopchop View Post
    Yeah, we play Charlotte, Miami, Red Bulls, NYCFC - all teams playing for position. Then we got Cincinnati, Orlando and Vancouver. Theoretically it could happen, but probability very low.
    If we win final 8 games (Philly plus next 7), our odds of making it are still less than 50%
    http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/Toronto.html

If we win 6 of final 7, and tie the 7th, our odds of making it are … 11%
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duncan Maguire was the consensus best player in the NCAA and only went sixth. Now he's a 10 goal scorer likely going to Europe soon.
    MLS teams love to do counter intuitive things and outsmart themselves.

Case in point: taking Griffin Dorsey over Tajon, etc…

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

Trading the 1st pick (Farrell) for the 3rd pick (Bekker)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

Yeah... although getting rid of Dorsey without giving him a chance was also stupid. He's quite a good right back for Houston now, starting regularly. Set up a really nice goal the other night.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    will probably trade the pick and 1million in game for a useless player LOL
    I'm not sold that the past stupidities are going to be repeated.....although the draft is a crap shoot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I'm not sold that the past stupidities are going to be repeated.....although the draft is a crap shoot.
    That depends on who is calling the shots and has the real power in the organization: Is it Hernandez, Manning, or the MLSE board? If it's those last two, then the stupidities are guaranteed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is scandelous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The SuperDraft is seemingly becoming a more and more viable way of obtaining talent. Especially in those non-DP positions like CB, fullback and GK. We also shouldn't be tanking for number one overall. This isn't the NFL, NBA or NHL.