Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One issue I noticed from my view in the stands was on corners, they let a guy stand on Romero every time with no defender helping out. There should be a defender pushing that guy out of the keepers way. It's not Romero's job to cover a guy. I was in disbelief how it kept happening.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

best performance since portland at home last year.

players performed better, but seemed to be a ton of tactical adjustments that worked too.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Michael Bradley was really good tonight. He had a couple of moments around the box early that were worrisome but settled down and was really good at breaking up any breaks later on.
    his reading of the game and anticipation is elite.

pace not such a big issue at CB as they are usually not too quick anyways.

shockingly solid from him and rosted tonight when i woudl have expected anything but (excellent protection from coello and ibarra it must be said).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was a lot of fun to sing "I just can't get enough" as we left the stadium tonight. Felt like it was the first time all year. COYR.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    One issue I noticed from my view in the stands was on corners, they let a guy stand on Romero every time with no defender helping out. There should be a defender pushing that guy out of the keepers way. It's not Romero's job to cover a guy. I was in disbelief how it kept happening.
    I noticed that too that they were leaving a defender unmarked and for Romero to defend or probably just get up and punch it away. I also noticed Oso marking his man but wasn't goalside. He did the same thing and wasn't goalside on the throw in before the goal they scored and he got muscled off the ball before the cross.

Overall good performance, wasn't expecting it but they did well.

Also Insigne actually looked like he showed a bit of fire finally and telling the other player he had some small cajones lol. I went back and took a photo but no idea how to post it on here hah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got through watching the replay.

Please let this be the start of a turn around. It was so nice to see some quick counter attacks mixed in with decent spells of possession.

Coello and Ibarra were great. Kerr played very well and his hold up play really helped us. Franklin really turned it around this game after a number of frankly poor starts.

Timing of this win in some ways is so unfortunate as we’re heading into another long break.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick hits based on extended highlights only…

- interesting stuff we have been waiting for from Oso. Makes the layoff to unlock Kerr on first goal. - - Oso looked so far forward that he was maybe playing a false 9?
    - has Oso ever scored on a header before tonight?
    - In the goal celebration, while Insigne is clearly focused on the crowd somewhere, Oso is giving Kerr the props, because he knows Kerr made the important play there. Herdman notices that stuff.
    - before slagging Insigne too much, that was Lorenzo fighting for his teammate there on the late yellow to red, we haven’t seen much of that
    - that long through ball from Franklin would be on every highlight show today in Europe, if it had come from the Italians. Franklin reminds me a lot of Alistair Johnston, except he hasn’t figured out how not to get burned three times a game. I will bet Herdman is thinking a lot about how to get Franklin's defensive game figured out
    Last edited by ensco; 08-31-2023 at 12:58 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    So TFC narrowly misses setting a new MLS losing streak.
    Like I said, they even suck at losing.

Oh man oh man what a game to miss. Only saw the highlights. Beautiful goals. So quiet in here, many folks are too shell-shocked to suddenly have to say something positive.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Day after thoughts (I was not at the game)

Phily played into our strengths - weird - like the Portland game last year - this ain't gonna happen against Vancouver
    Philly team in general had an off night - our 2 DM approach nullified their diamond press
    Insigne & Berna professional in all things - easier when you have willing midfield runners
    Insigne showed fight on a number of occasions - I still think he believes in a project
    Berna discussion with Dunfield during the game - professional - Berna may want out and maybe there is a plan already which is fine but he seems to be trying to be a pro while here
    All our problem step children in the midfield and forward area did not play
    MB is making instinctual DM moves - he leaves spaces like he mentally expecting a CB behind him - I'm not sold on him back there yet
    Agree with ensco on Kobe
    Petretta defensively more sound and linked up well with Insigne & Oso - came forward more to - Philly let him & Kobe do that with some really meh FB play
    Kerr is not the long term solution but he's better then Sapong or Ayo as a backup/sub - I would put more stock in Prince
    Kerr did decent hold up play against the best CB pairing in the league
    Romero needs better coaching on how to manoeuvre the ball - his palm back out to the 6 almost cost us a late goal
    Vasquez as the designated "slow it down lads" guy was fun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has been so long don't even know what to say...lol. Shocked we won but like it!

The Italians were electric. Insigne had a few giveaways and Fede no idea what he was doing on the breakaway late when he missed but they were both very good all night long wreaking havoc.

Ibarra and Coello were very good and tireless.

Loved Insigne sticking up for his teamate late.

Bradely is done...sorry, lets get out the pom poms for him for making a few sideways passes...he marks no one and another over the top ball and his man races by him...while he trots back at half pace...the one sequence when they hit the bar twice, he's standing there marking no one.....slow as molasses...gives acres of space...reitre please.

Romero, bad on the goal but otherwise did okay....still want to see what we have in Gavran...

Happy for Dunfield...he was estatic....finally we win. Is in over his head but a genuine nice guy.

I couldn't unload my tickets so took my son and his 2 buddies...finally, was a fun time...smiles everywhere....winning does that. Onwards and upwards.

Final though, Manning out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great game, the short, quick passing kind of reminded me of 2017. Hopefully signs of more to come. Ibarra is a must keep, especially paired with Coello. The comment about Dunfield coaching out the Bob tendencies was interesting, could explain why everyone has seems disjointed and confused until tonight. Can’t discount that Herdman in the stands made tonight a tryout as much as anything, but damn fun to watch!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dunfield needs to run with thus lineup for remainder of season.

Only exception is maybe Cash or Prince for Kerr. Even though he played great.

That back 4 should remain though. MB as a stop gap CB works until next season. Rosted again showing he can play well with a veteran beside him. We need to find that quality CB this off season.
    Last edited by SenorDingDong; 08-31-2023 at 07:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There were , for the first time in ages, things that looked like an actual plan to move the ball in attack. The way guys were trying to quickly play balls around the corner near the top of the 18. The way we kept Bernie higher up the field and tried to find him with longer passes to keep phily’s backline honest. Those were key.

Ibarra and Coello were the stars. Everyone else feeding off that in my opinion. Osorio also had his best game in ages. If he can play like that maybe we have some hope of getting value from that contract.

Bradley played fine but it’s very clear there’s nothing left in the tank. There was a play early in the game where the Phily attacker made a short run in behind and although he recognized and tried to react, his first step and subsequent recovery were so slow Rosted had to come across and help. We need him back there right now for leadership and because there’s no other option but come the off-season it’s time to hang-em up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The main takeaway is man, I know our chances are next to none, but it'd be such a coup to get Ibarra full time. He looks like what our mid field has needed for years I think

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess you are eating a bit of Humble Pie, the defense played surpringly well with a few luck bounces.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    This is where our new silver tounged leprechaun of a manager will come in handy.
    If you are referring to John Herdman, he is a Geordie, not Irish, just correcting you. Cheers
    Last edited by Derko; 08-31-2023 at 08:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although it seemed so to me, did TFC primarily use a 4-2-3-1 in the attacking phase of the match with Oso usually in the hole?
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 08-31-2023 at 08:20 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    If you are referring to John Herdman, he is a Geordie, not Irish, just correcting you. Cheers
    'Wey aye man!', he is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still can't believe we actually won a game. Woke up this morning and thought I dreamt it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kerr unreal. Franklin can pass a ball. Italians showing they still got it.

Good match.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad for the win and to see some actual good play. I wonder if Philly just thought they only had to show up to get the win and were not ready for the game. Sometimes that can happen when playing a team that has been a dumpster fire most of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    More a comment on stature than lineage but no offence taken, haha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my take away:

1- Bill Manning has somehow wont be going anywhere- as much as the win feels amazing and the football played was watchable - this basically means- nothing to me will change in the long run- it took 14 games to get 1 win- 5 goals over the last 10 games - eh

2. Herdman- influence- this team did not play like this for the previous 10 matches- i believe herdman made some adjustments and explained his vision and play style- (also believe he has been around the team then just last night)

3. Bernie i think is our most important player along with coello and ibarra(which again- bill manning lucked into)

4. Philly didnt look great after first 15M - i assume maybe they were burnt out from the leagues cup VS TFC who had no intense games during the break.

5. Stadium looked empty- supporters were loud.

6. playing with convinction and moving the ball forward instead of backwards + goals -makes things a lot easier to deal with-winning is a beautiful bonus.

7. as much as everyone is happy- do not forget the man in charge of this mess who hasnt admitted to mistakes and has led TFC to highest pay-roll and worst record- has possibly solidified his position within TFC again.

of course- the game i bet on for once - TFC busts my ticket- i had a feeling Lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    my take away:

1- Bill Manning has somehow wont be going anywhere- as much as the win feels amazing and the football played was watchable - this basically means- nothing to me will change in the long run- it took 14 games to get 1 win- 5 goals over the last 10 games - eh
    But there's a confict here as TFC is a team we should want to win and be good. We shouldn't be rooting against positive play & results to spite Manning. Should also be said again that Manning didn't have an active hand in our downfall and failures minus selecting managers/GMs/Sporting Directors who he trusted that turned out to be shit. He should have been sacked for his part in it all but he wasn't. Now I hope Herdman works out and we get back on track even if it means Manning lurks in the shadows and gets credit he doesn't deserve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So...are we mathematically eliminated from playoffs yet, or do we have a tiny chance!?!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    So...are we mathematically eliminated from playoffs yet, or do we have a tiny chance!?!
    Need that playoffs?!? gif for this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Herdman effect is already taking place. He watches from the stands and the boys gave their best effort of the season by a country mile.

Hopefully it will continue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    The Herdman effect is already taking place. He watches from the stands and the boys gave their best effort of the season by a country mile.

Hopefully it will continue.
    It did seem more that we'd see from a 'new manager' bounce.

We had a shockingly sensible lineup, to begin with. Responsibilities were far more divided, passing was far more progressive, guys were making runs behind.

But biggest of all was they'd clearly resolved to cycle the ball quickly instead of playing off the cuff and looking for opportunities. It was all about moving it into more dangerous areas quickly. But once we were in their end, they were quite patient.

I can't believe after ten straight losses that that was all Dunivant.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I can't believe after ten straight losses that that was all Dunivant.
    Couldn't have been. We went from a worse version of Bob ball to something reasonable in a week and a week where Herdman came on board. Can't be coincidence or even a bounce. There was a noticible change in tactics and play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I would imagine Herdman had some say in what we saw last night.