RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MLS considering simplifying salary "cap" (budget rules)

https://wakingthered.com/2023/07/29/...ome-world-cup/

Talking about changes, up to instituting a regular salary cap.

Will MLS actually remove the training wheels?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting that there's widespread fudging of the budget rules.

When the Bundesliga hit the same stage of growth from niche to mainstream in the 1970's as football became more popular in West Germany (gaining on Germany's traditional sport of gymnastics) they removed most of their complex rules because teams weren't respecting them anyway. Maybe MLS is at the same point.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 07-30-2023 at 11:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loosen for sure, but don't let this league become Europe. Those leagues are all broken and will never be repaired, whatever we do we need to preserve at least most of the parity that exists. There should not be clubs that know today that, bar being bought out by a sports washing human rights denier, they are ruled out of ever winning. I'd rather watch a league way off those in quality but preserving that than a league just rotating which 3 teams win for the next 20 years, even if we're more likely than not one of those big teams rather than an also ran

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the idea of a hard cap but where apart from the DP's, you have a bucket you can spend that has to include x no of players. Let the cheapskates cheap out and let players just be players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like for transfer fees not to count against the cap. Just salaries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$50million straight cap or $25million cap plus 3DPs rule plus U23s initiative. However, the limiting factor is wage inflation for domestic players that aren't worth as much on the open market. They should remove the limit on international players and institute a minimum 3 domestic players per team be on the pitch at all times during a game. The league is large enough now that they will still have 90 domestics playing per matchweek, but players will be forced to increase their intensity and skill if the want to see game minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I would like for transfer fees not to count against the cap. Just salaries.
    Agreed.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^While relaxing domestic rules and allowing a big budget for hiring the best would improve the product, the problem is that MLS has to please the USSF (the CSA not so much) so it's not going to happen. Developing domestic players is an important function of MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    ^^While relaxing domestic rules and allowing a big budget for hiring the best would improve the product, the problem is that MLS has to please the USSF (the CSA not so much) so it's not going to happen. Developing domestic players is an important function of MLS.
    Based on the comments from some of the owners after Miami's Jorge Mas suggested lifting it, I can only see them increasing the base and possibly the number of DP and TAM, maybe getting rid of some of the protectionist player claiming shit.

Basically, I think they'll go up by quite a bit but it won't be anything like getting rid of the cap or going to a free transfer system.

I can see them looking at the $40M plus payrolls for Mexican league and secondary European clubs though and seeing that as the top end. LAFC and TFC are already two thirds of the way there anyway.