Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    Was going to say something along this line.

Exciting stuff, but IMO leagues cup continues to have some highly suspect moments. No reason for that to have taken > 5 minutes.
    They were probably debating if calling it was worth the riot potential

As otherwise it's a completely non controversial call. It's a binary thing, he either is or isn't past his line and he was. Can't not call it

Either that or they waited for maximum drama, befitting of the tournament I suppose

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    They were probably debating if calling it was worth the riot potential

As otherwise it's a completely non controversial call. It's a binary thing, he either is or isn't past his line and he was. Can't not call it
    Agree, but by definition clear and obvious doesn’t take 5 minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I was watching both keepers jump the line but hey...they call the one.
    True and fair. Difficult to understand how his was different. Will need to review post match the video case/s and the controversy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    Agree, but by definition clear and obvious doesn’t take 5 minutes.
    Yeah I hope we get an explanation. It was definitely clear and obvious so, all else being equal, shouldn't take longer than 30 seconds to call that. One replay on one angle was probably enough to be honest

Also don't think the other saves/misses were made with a keeper past the line but could be wrong. They all looked fine to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Wait, Nashville won?! I got mad and switched games after the MacNaughton handball.
    Me too! Well, I switched after PKs! They had pitch invasions, the teams had shaken hands and were walking off the pitch!

Shit, it had been over for minutes!

Bizarre.

EDIT: Went back and watched. If the Club America fans don't invade the pitch for selfies, I wonder if this one gets blown as done. Instead, there's five minutes and VAR check.

Absolutely wild, this entire tournament.
    Last edited by jloome; 08-08-2023 at 10:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just have to add to this... Man this tournament is absolutely fantastic. It really makes you see how dull the regular season games can be when a team has nothing to play for. Brilliant idea and glad it's working out so far.. What a great way to grow the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder where the CCL goes from here, this tournament is upstaging it big time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I wonder where the CCL goes from here, this tournament is upstaging it big time.
    MLS and Liga MX absolutely want Leagues Cup to swallow up the CCL. The dream scenario is probably for a tournament of Central American, CPL, USL and second division Mexican teams to compete for like 2 spots in the Leagues Cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Clasico Regiomontano. Monterrey defeats Tigres. VAR involved throughout match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen freeze frames of both. Nashville's keeper kept his left foot on the line. There only has to be one touching.

So they called it correctly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Went back and watched. If the Club America fans don't invade the pitch for selfies, I wonder if this one gets blown as done. Instead, there's five minutes and VAR check.
    Keeper was totally off his line, but it looks like referees were not going to call anything. Some of the player's kids & families were on the pitch. Nashville was leaving. After a while, you can see the moment the Nashville coaching staff finds out they will replay, and they were all surprised.
    I think without the delay for pitch invasion, they would have got back to the locker rooms and game over.
    America fans love to act like trash so if they did sort of cause the loss, they totally deserve it.
    Nashville team got pelted with beers and garbage by America supporters on their way out.

Edit: grammar, spelling
    Last edited by wopchop; 08-09-2023 at 06:38 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah if there's no pitch invasion it would have been called within a minute or two I think. It likely was called within a minute or two and they just had to restore order before it was announced. There's no way var couldn't call it, it was a trivial call to make and it's a mandatory check to look for specifically the thing they ended up calling

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy that MacNaughton got rescued there. Really happy for him generally. Disliked that trade from the minute I heard it, but it is allowing him to flourish.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    True and fair. Difficult to understand how his was different. Will need to review post match the video case/s and the controversy.
    Upon further review, seems that until CA's Malagon's infraction, both keepers appeared to be in compliance with IFAB LAW 14, paraphrasing, 'When the ball is kicked, the defending goalkeeper must have at least part of one foot touching, in line with, or behind, the goal line'. IIUC, each penalty is also VAR reviewed? In regards to all the penalties, the following provide different angles on the matter...

https://youtu.be/lg-9aKnETs0

https://youtu.be/CI1liUx-V2c

https://youtu.be/7SsqcPFXCEg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Appreciate and share this accounts take on a few moments that have made the Leagues Cup exciting and a success so far; even the suggestion, dare I say made in jest, that it is the greatest competition in the world...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Happy that MacNaughton got rescued there. Really happy for him generally. Disliked that trade from the minute I heard it, but it is allowing him to flourish.
    One thing I’ve noticed about MacNaughton is he often tries to “zonally” mark when the situation doesn’t call for it. On that second goal, he basically tried to aerially win the ball by cutting off the cross at the near post. The cross was inch perfect so it lead to a free header 3 yards from goal.

I’m not sure what the technically correct play is in that situation but I imagine most coaches would want him covering the player as opposed to patrolling the space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    One thing I’ve noticed about MacNaughton is he often tries to “zonally” mark when the situation doesn’t call for it. On that second goal, he basically tried to aerially win the ball by cutting off the cross at the near post. The cross was inch perfect so it lead to a free header 3 yards from goal.

I’m not sure what the technically correct play is in that situation but I imagine most coaches would want him covering the player as opposed to patrolling the space.
    Curse of TFC coaching. All of our defenders seem to do it, absolutely rooted to a small zone no matter who is running between them in the space left over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I miss this tournament. Getting Mexican fans rattled on Twitter just isn't as fun as seeing their teams get beat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The other thing this tournament made me think about is just how pathetic our team is. Every other team is out there balling and putting in so much work - we get blown out 5-0, barely breaking a sweat - let alone trying to recover and play defense.

This team is infuriating this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ONLY good news is that since I refused to pay Apple to watch, I haven't had to endure any of the miserable games this season.

This fact makes me sadder than it should.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Curse of TFC coaching. All of our defenders seem to do it, absolutely rooted to a small zone no matter who is running between them in the space left over.
    Has to be the right way because it is the way of former overlord Bob. Bob does no wrong. Just ask him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    The other thing this tournament made me think about is just how pathetic our team is. Every other team is out there balling and putting in so much work - we get blown out 5-0, barely breaking a sweat - let alone trying to recover and play defense.

This team is infuriating this year.
    Yes, they are so bad I'm getting to wish they just play another MLS game on the big screen at our home games.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    The other thing this tournament made me think about is just how pathetic our team is. Every other team is out there balling and putting in so much work ....

We are crap

&

a lot of other teams have danger signs over this tournament.

San Jose

St. Louis

Seattle

Austin's new exec said they basically overperformed last year and the Leagues Cup was true to form.

We just didn't see them for very long.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As expected, venue changes to be sought for 2024

The VAR and officials one is sort of weird given the refs are not just MLS ones.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The VAR and officials one is sort of weird given the refs are not just MLS ones.
    First time they've had to deal with CONCACAF refs screwing up against them consistently instead of always giving them the benefit of doubt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    First time they've had to deal with CONCACAF refs screwing up against them consistently instead of always giving them the benefit of doubt.
    Not even screwing up, their complaint is 'VAR doing its job properly' as this all comes from the penalty shootout. It's more like they're not used to NOT dealing with Concacaf nonsense

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weird they would have all 4 quarter finals on tonight...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps, cause, EPL, other leagues, start their seasons tomorrow; eyeball overload, saturation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Especially mostly at the same time. Could of had the Minnesota match on now and got way more eyeballs on that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone at Apple HQ or MLS HQ needs to be spoken to about the value of an early, regular and late start time. Even the EPL knows this!!

Sort of like starting early on the North East in the spring months.