Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Too gassed out from a funeral to see this through to the end. Maybe me tuning out will encourage the boys to score one of those things the other teams always score against us. Forget what they are called, but they seem to result in wins.
    Turns out they could not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Despite the result, I thought the team looked much more dangerous last night with the kids in the lineup and the DPs on the sidelines.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    I feel for Dunfield. He’s going to leave this as nothing more than the answer to a trivia question as the only coach to never win for TFC.
    I dont think so… next week we have Ibarra, Oso back, Johnson maybe (but regardless, Romero was good) and we play Chicago. Probably still no Italians so the work ethic and team play will be there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Not very unlucky and I don’t see this roster (as it was tonight) winning too many at all.

We’ve been obsessing over the Italians but let’s not get carried away. Without them (and others) we look like a last place team or close to it.
    AS one Tweeter pointed out, we had a $5M team on the field tonight, 2007 budget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure how anyone watching that game doesn't immediately say - let's use the same plan but put Berna as #9.

We actually had a decent attacking effort. Insigne also can put balls in the box.

Do the same thing but rest Sapong and try Berna.

Otherwise good game from Romero and a good shift for most against one of the best teams in MLS.
    Last edited by SenorDingDong; 07-09-2023 at 10:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    I'm not sure how anyone watching that game doesn't immediately say - let's use the same plan but put Berna as #9.

We actually had a decent attacking effort. Insigne also can put balls in the box.

Do the same thing but rest Sapong and try Berna.

Otherwise good game from Romero and a good shift for most against one of the best teams in MLS.
    To be honest I don't think he wants that role. He's moved into the middle of the park enough this year that if he really wanted to be the striker he'd cheat. He'd move 10 yards further up the park whenever the ball got into interesting locations and he'd be sniffing that ball out if it came into the box. He hasn't done that. He's more than capable I but I think what we need is both Bernardeschi and Insigne playing the role that got them into the Italian National Team. They weren't relied on as goal scorers. They were relied on as dependable wingers who can get the ball into a goal scorer. I remember back when we had Giovinco and Altidore playing at their peak for us. If you took one out of the lineup it closed the space available for the other. Other teams could focus on the one guy and he was less effective. We've got two quality wingers on either side of the park. We can't stop there! We need to go all in and find a quality striker to compliment guys like Osorio in the midfield who get themselves into good spots when the ball comes into the box. Add that one component and I think both Italians will shine in the role that got them where they got to in Italy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The football gods will continue to punish us for our disrespect of the sport itself by not having a striker to enter the season. Now we have seen the result of playing without a striker. Sure, some people might argue that some of these so-called strikers on our team are strikers, but strikers score goals, and we have none of those. Next season, and all future seasons, please remember: start the season with a striker. Rule number one! You want a DP? Get a striker. You want a second DP? Get a second striker. You want a third DP? Maybe an attacking midfielder if you already have 2 amazing strikers. Let's never, ever repeat a season this bad again.

Also, please, for the love of everything holy, stop saying Berna and Insigne will score our goals. They never did, they don't, they never will. They're not strikers. We knew that when we signed them. Their role is to create chances for strikers, except we don't have any, hence why we're the dumbest club in the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the boys played hard and were unlikely not to get at least get a draw,man this team cant get a bounce,another reason im not renewing other than manning is this go tunnel crap.it was a disaster last night, 17 years of this shit and they cant fix this
    Last edited by reggie; 07-09-2023 at 11:19 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watched this one on replay. Generally liked what I saw.

- Really good performance from JMR (although in fairness they left his flank fairly open at times). On another day I think he might get a goal in somewhere. Not a fullback, stupid that we spent so much time playing him back there. Would like to see how he does centrally playing behind the strikers. That might be a good look.
    - That’s an improved performance from Akinola. Something to build on but the kid has to bang in some goals.
    - I like that Terry actually got players forward into the box. That was something we never saw under Bob.
    - Coello should definitely be starting. Kaye should definitely be sitting.
    - Only negative I will say is there’s no reason why you need to try youth players like Adam Perlman at MLS level. He looked completely out of his depth and they should be able to see that in practice too.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh, we are always slightly more decent against a non pressing side.

Which is maybe 1 out of 4 teams in this league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yeh, we are always slightly more decent against a non pressing side.

Which is maybe 1 out of 4 teams in this league.
    Yeah, but they have that crazy “your defenders will back pass to us” thing. Happened several times, just never quite got burnt by it.

I would like to know what the secret sauce is on that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Yeah, but they have that crazy “your defenders will back pass to us” thing. Happened several times, just never quite got burnt by it.

I would like to know what the secret sauce is on that.
    I do notice that in most cases, the man they pass to is fairly static.

It's like because the defender isn't actively pressing with the rest, but instead is "marking out" the high central zone, they don't register that he's defending.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I'm thinking 19 k here
    Agree, or less! Was there too. Definitely not...

https://twitter.com/mlsnetwork/statu...71230505668608

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    AS one Tweeter pointed out, we had a $5M team on the field tonight, 2007 budget.
    Divide by 2 for realistic cost
    $5M is fiction. Mlse mls bullshit

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Agree, or less! Was there too. Definitely not...

https://twitter.com/mlsnetwork/statu...71230505668608

Not sure what that 26K was but I was thinking about 22 in the end - each section was 2/3 full.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    I will quibble. Think you are being generous. Definitely under 20K.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought Romero was alright. Needs to work on his distribution and sweeper keeper actions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given the players at disposal, it was the best TFC match in the last... I dunno how many tries.
    But it's essential to mention that St Louis did not press.

TFC historically cannot play against pressing teams, so... this "best match" must be taken with a huge grain of salt.
    I would say any team's coach who does not play pressing against TFC is an idiot (especially in Toronto), or he knows that his team simply cannot play pressing.

PS: Romero looks like a very decent keeper!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Is it fair to say that he could also just be that confident that he is playing against a weaker much depleted team that he thinks they will pick up a win without requiring a press away from home, and a mid week game against LAFC coming up?

You are right though, I was at the game and they did very well in the first 45 to hold them off and got a bunch of chances created. I know it's simple but having balls whipped into the box is something we aren't doing with Insigne and Berna on the field. They looked okay that game and never seemed out of it until some of the clumsy errors in the last 10 mins with those younger subs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought we worked hard, which is at least a big improvement. Deserved better in that game.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad we got the St Louis fan out of the Supporters section unscathed prematch. He was clueless. Just born.