Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Match Day 22 - TFC @ Orlando - Tuesday July 4 7:38pm - I can bring you in warm, or

I can bring you in cold

This is the Way

Have at It People

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will be very curious to see the approach here with such a short turn around. Will Lorenzo be ready to go after being subbed out early yesterday?

I really do hope Terry gives Luka a shot in net, Greg has had his look in my eyes, giving up 6 goals over the three games he has started, all loses. Thing is Luka could possibly have a future with the Reds, where Greg does not. 2023 is the first time the Reds have played more than two GKs in a season since 2015.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So how long do y'all predict it's going to take to rebuild this team? 5 years? We've obviously spent most of the money in all the wrong places (or something) and it's going to take a while to digest and shit out these massive contracts (like it did with Altidore).

So yeah, 5 years? Is that too pessimistic? 4?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    So how long do y'all predict it's going to take to rebuild this team? 5 years? We've obviously spent most of the money in all the wrong places (or something) and it's going to take a while to digest and shit out these massive contracts (like it did with Altidore).

This presumes the organization is led by someone with a vision of how to construct a competitive modern football team, who has the industry relationships to leverage, and has the bonafides to make a credible case to target prospects. You can't even start the clock ticking until this individual is in place. Sadly, I don't get the sense that setting-up TFC with a proper Czar of Football is a priority for MLSE. So while some iteration of management can replace these albatross contracts as they expire, unless there is massive upgrade at the top, I'll conjecture that 4 years is optimistic and that we're stuck in a do-loop of mediocrity (or worse) unless/until we get new leadership.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orlando City vs Toronto FC
    Exploria Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: Guido Gonzales Jr
    AR1: Jeremy Kieso
    AR2: Adam Garner
    4TH: Elvis Osmanovic
    VAR: Jon Freemon
    AVAR: Jozef Batko

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Will be very curious to see the approach here with such a short turn around. Will Lorenzo be ready to go after being subbed out early yesterday?

I really do hope Terry gives Luka a shot in net, Greg has had his look in my eyes, giving up 6 goals over the three games he has started, all loses. Thing is Luka could possibly have a future with the Reds, where Greg does not. 2023 is the first time the Reds have played more than two GKs in a season since 2015.
    Arguably a good reason to keep him out. Don't want a goalie's first taste of MLS being crushed repeatedly. I don't care how good he is, it's a higher level and he's not going to make a difference to the weakness of the rest of the lineup, particularly with Hedges injured.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It mostly depends on what the league does to accomodate Messi's wishes and they will be forced to do a lot.

With that, I say we will be an average 6,7,8,9 playoff seed in 2025. Total shit until then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should be a scorcher tonight in Orlando…hoping we keep it close.

I’d go with Gavran. We have nothing to lose at this point and game experience- even if we get blown out- will help him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Arguably a good reason to keep him out. Don't want a goalie's first taste of MLS being crushed repeatedly. I don't care how good he is, it's a higher level and he's not going to make a difference to the weakness of the rest of the lineup, particularly with Hedges injured.
    This is a good point. Given that Dunfield pulled O’Neil for a 16 year old that he is currently coaching with the under 17s I would not be surprised to see Gavrin, but yeah, it remains to be seen if the club can be “turned around” anytime soon.

As for Rangitsingh, he seems good for allowing a goal a game more than need be. So far, to me, he just seems fundamentally unsound. There is probably a reason that before this season he’d played a grand total of 8 MLS matches in a career playing for 7 different clubs. Only 3 of those (with zero starts) was as the “pool” keeper.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a couple, but there is the potential for quick turnarounds in MLS (and could be even quicker if roster budget rules get relaxed more).

look at cincinatti in 2021 season to now. from worst to best team in MLS in 2 offseasons.

as for massive contracts, the only real immovable one is insigne (although his recent agent change might suggest some interest from elsewhere).

even bernardeschi is movable if we let him leave without a transfer fee.

none of this will happen unless they rebuild the backroom analytics and executive infrastructure of the club to where it was, and that could take time
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 07-04-2023 at 09:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    a couple, but there is the potential for quick turnarounds in MLS (and could be even quicker if roster budget rules get relaxed more).

look at cincinatti in 2021 season to now. from worst to best team in MLS in 2 offseasons.

as for massive contracts, the only real immovable one is insigne (although his recent agent change might suggest some interest from elsewhere).

none of this will happen unless they rebuild the backroom analytics and executive infrastructure of the club to where it was, and that could take time
    The rumour I saw on Twitter says Saudi. That would make sense financially.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The rumour I saw on Twitter says Saudi. That would make sense financially.
    yeah, although ive only seen an incredibly unreliable source report it so far.

could happen, tho. hopefully they give us a transfer fee too!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we could move both of them then we could probably set ourselves up for a decent 2025. Hopefully the Messi effect means more TAM level players because that will paper over all of our totally shit TAM contracts (MAK, Osorio, Rosted, Petretta).

Selling Insigne hopefully for a small fee, letting Berna go for free, not bothering to bring Laryea back, and finally buying out Diomande should put us decent ground for this offseason but if it's Bill & Hernandez running the show then it will probably just be another PR/Ticket campaign fiasco.

Or Bill will bring back Vanney when LA fires him and we can trade Mabika, Coello, & Kerr for Delgado, Mavinga, and Zavaleta and take another run at being 2017 again.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    If we could move both of them then we could probably set ourselves up for a decent 2025. Hopefully the Messi effect means more TAM level players because that will paper over all of our totally shit TAM contracts (MAK, Osorio, Rosted, Petretta).

Selling Insigne hopefully for a small fee, letting Berna go for free, not bothering to bring Laryea back, and finally buying out Diomande should put us decent ground for this offseason but if it's Bill & Hernandez running the show then it will probably just be another PR/Ticket campaign fiasco.

Or Bill will bring back Vanney when LA fires him and we can trade Mabika, Coello, & Kerr for Delgado, Mavinga, and Zavaleta and take another run at being 2017 again.
    i think it's harsh to put hernandez in the same bracket as bill.

all the accounts we've heard on here were that he was challenging bill on several fronts.

he also brought up the key issues of being understaffed and not using analytics properly in his first press conference, neither were things bill would ever talk about.
    '
    we do need to have bill far away from any decision making at this point tho lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm heading to the game tonight while I'm on vacation. Tickets are $17 USD. I don't think I'd pay anymore to see the current product.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all the accounts we've heard on here were that he was challenging bill on several fronts.

he also brought up the key issues of being understaffed and not using analytics properly in his first press conference, neither were things bill would ever talk about.
    '
    we do need to have bill far away from any decision making at this point tho lol.
    Problem with Hernandez is that he is unproven and new. It was encouraging that he stood firm against our previous stupidity but it's not a lock that he can rebuild a squad. If we're here talking about a can't miss rebuild and new direction then I would prefer someone more proven. After so many misfires and straight up bonerings we really need a new, smart, atonamous, can't miss football braintrust in place.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem with Hernandez is that he is unproven and new. It was encouraging that he stood firm against our previous stupidity but it's not a lock that he can rebuild a squad. If we're here talking about a can't miss rebuild and new direction then I would prefer someone more proven. After so many misfires and straight up bonerings we really need a new, smart, atonamous, can't miss football braintrust in place.
    there's no such thing as a can't miss rebuild.

i just think they need more staff. apparently staff #s been depleted since covid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'
    The suggestion to me has been he was challenging the current narrative last season.

It's hard to explain how much sway Bob has over the league in general because of getting the US through at the World Cup and because of having LAFC a winner out of the gate. To them, those two things meet their zenith of performance, making the U.S. look like a world football power and increasing franchise values.

If there was any chance he'd change the mood or direction they were going to cling to it, because the league is pervasively involved in the individual clubs and what they choose to do. And that's not just us. But as a "flagship" -- we are seen as such in terms of owner value, forward movement for the league -- there has been pretty massive pressure to see the line that it had to be the players, not Bob.

I suspect without Hernandez saying "we need to do what really works elsewhere" it might have taken even longer. And there was pushback against him from multiple parties who are no longer there. For now, he seems to have won the internal political battle.

I have no idea how they figure out the money. I suspect there are mechanisms to protect cap space when they do these trade-but-pay deals, and even though they're picking up a partial salary, they get full relief, or something like that.

So it'll probably be a buyout, a few trades, some guys sitting who are expensive, some cap relief from the Apple deal (if they meet sub levels as expected, teams are apparently getting over $1M in extra cap space), and some rule changes from Messi being accommodated, which means accommodating Miami's already bloated roster.

Yeah, that's the big gamble. Being right doesn't mean having answers, necessarily.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The suggestion to me has been he was challenging the current narrative last season.

It's hard to explain how much sway Bob has over the league in general because of getting the US through at the World Cup and because of having LAFC a winner out of the gate. To them, those two things meet their zenith of performance, making the U.S. look like a world football power and increasing franchise values.

If there was any chance he'd change the mood or direction they were going to cling to it, because the league is pervasively involved in the individual clubs and what they choose to do. And that's not just us. But as a "flagship" -- we are seen as such in terms of owner value, forward movement for the league -- there has been pretty massive pressure to see the line that it had to be the players, not Bob.

I suspect without Hernandez saying "we need to do what really works elsewhere" it might have taken even longer. And there was pushback against him from multiple parties who are no longer there. For now, he seems to have won the internal political battle.

I have no idea how they figure out the money. I suspect there are mechanisms to protect cap space when they do these trade-but-pay deals, and even though they're picking up a partial salary, they get full relief, or something like that.

So it'll probably be a buyout, a few trades, some guys sitting who are expensive, some cap relief from the Apple deal (if they meet sub levels as expected, teams are apparently getting over $1M in extra cap space), and some rule changes from Messi being accommodated, which means accommodating Miami's already bloated roster.

Yeah, that's the big gamble. Being right doesn't mean having answers, necessarily.
    all make sense and sounds pretty promising.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i just think they need more staff. apparently staff #s been depleted since covid.
    Definitely no such thing as a can’t miss rebuild! That is an impossibility. Especially in MLS. It’s the weirdest of leagues and we shouldn’t forget it. As for what’s worked here, our best GM and coach… our ONLY good GM and coach in 16 years of instability and a revolving door were both inexperienced. Bez nothing at all as GM. Vanney had only a season or two as an assistant at a poor club and was certainly no sure thing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is true but if we had a guy like Tanner or Lagerway in I would feel more secure that they would know what they are doing and have a very set plan on how we will play and what they need to do to get there. So far I heard analytics and that's about it. We still have no identity and no real plan other than letting the analytics department do their work but there needs to be more than just that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    As for what’s worked here, our best GM and coach… our ONLY good GM and coach in 16 years of instability and a revolving door were both inexperienced. Bez nothing at all as GM. Vanney had only a season or two as an assistant at a poor club and was certainly no sure thing.
    I think Bez gets too much credit for 2017 because the real groundwork of that was done by Lieweke. Bez just did some tweaks and when Lieweke left we got the likes of Axteke, Khantari, & VDW from Bez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all make sense and sounds pretty promising.
    I wouldn't go quite that far. I'd say it sounds like they've shown some internal humility about what they were doing wrong, and that Manning has accepted that he let his senior management team effectively run too much of the show.

They still have to prove they can fix it.

I mean, better that than "No, we weren't wrong, it just didn't work out" or the usual lack of self-examination these situations kick up.

But I'm not going to assume that means we'll have a winning team next year. Letting it get to this in the first place suggests ample potential to fuck it up again.

(I'm sorry dude, I know I'm being bleak, but really... all of this is just monolithic corporate culture at work. It's never different, anywhere. It always wrecks what came before it and eventually eats itself. We just get to wait and see if whatever it spews up afterwards is a functional football club.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds about all the possibilities as far as can be known at the moment.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't go quite that far. I'd say it sounds like they've shown some internal humility about what they were doing wrong, and that Manning has accepted that he let his senior management team effectively run too much of the show.

They still have to prove they can fix it. I mean, better that than "No, we weren't wrong, it just didn't work out" or the usual lack of self-examination these situations kick up.

But I'm not going to assume that means we'll have a winning team next year. Letting it get to this in the first place suggests ample potential to fuck it up again.

(I'm sorry dude, I know I'm being bleak, but really... all of this is just monolithic corporate culture at work. It's never different, anywhere. It always wrecks what came before it and eventually eats itself. We just get to wait and see if whatever it spews up afterwards is a functional football club.)
    best case scenario is next year we are a low ranked playoff team and a first or 2nd round exit, then a contender in 2025, imo.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto FC
    @TorontoFC
    ·
    1m
    NEWS | Toronto FC sign defender Adam Pearlman and winger Jesus Batiz to short-term agreements from
    @TorontoFCII

This is interesting as TFC has the max four players signed to a short term agreement for tonight , with Luka and Lazar already having signed one on the weekend.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is gonna suuuuck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    This is gonna suuuuck.

Still... that looks like Fede is our number 9 tonight. That'll be interesting.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fede as the PM forward with Akinola as the #9.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    This is gonna suuuuck.

Are we allowed to forfeit? This is pretty sad. Like it’s a struggle to call this a true pro team.