Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You hear about Herdman doing intense tactical prep, some one who dives deep.

It would never transition to a club game. Turn arounds are too short.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Let's be honest, all 3 are lazy choices. Any of us could have thought up Herdman and Smyrniotis. None of us would be stupid enough to interview Robinson. This coaching search has Bill Manning written all over it.
    Yep, absolutely. Not at all surprised.

Still can’t believe he’s here and being allowed to run this process.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think any of these are surprising. They said they wanted to look at guys who want to step up a level first, and these all fit that. I can also see them giving Robbo a courtesy interview but not thinking he's ready for prime time, given his last two efforts.

Herdman strikes me as a good motivator and tactically confident, but also naive in adjusting. Then again, it's MLS. It's not like he'd be facing tactical geniuses.

Smyrniotis' teams always play attractive football and he's developed some of the best youth talent in the country through Sigma.

Having said that, he comes across as an egotistical philosophizer, and I've generally had enough of dudes who love to expound personal philosophy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All 3 of those guys are "I know this person so he must be good" sorts of coaches - Arena would be a better choice, and I am no fan of him being given this role.

Disappointed IF these are the only ones but I note Kloke said "among the..." - I suspect there are others. God I hope so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FiveThreeTwo View Post
    Oddly enough, from what I remember of him he's a fairly analytical based coach - and kind of the opposite of bob lol. One of the first managers to have coaches/peers work with him on a consistent basis as a team to review data points and use those data points formulate strategies and how a team should play. I think he was one of the italian managers that still had to go through Coverciano- Italy's rigorous technical center/academy for managers... where they have to write a thesis on advanced subjects, and defend it in order to get their badges.

I still remember watching mini documentary on Man City while he was there discussing tactics and methods of play, and explained for 10 minutes the analytics and numbers that go behind corner kicks and set pieces lol; various delivery angles with dip/english or not, positioning of the players, what other teams do and how they naturally like the defend, difficulty of saving for the keeper based on a bunch of parameters. At the time it was the reason Man city only went for near post set pieces; where a few players [Kompany] make near post runs, with a few dummy runs going through the other areas of the zone to exploit when the opposition started to only track the front post. At the time mancini figured out with his coach staff that statistically over various match-ups in various leagues at the time, that teams were more prolific off corners/set pieces out wide when they were delivered in-swinging with low trajectory at a semi drilled pace, that glanced into the net at the near post position (Think Jozy header, Montreal Semi Finals - w. Giovinco hitting corner), versus any other positions or options, including short pass - or trying to deploy a balanced strategy over all zones of the opponents box. So most other set piece designs to him weren't worth trying to force or make work if the %'s were showing them to have inferior outcomes.

At the time in early 2010s, I thought this felt like absolute overkill, but those kind of deep diving thoughts are kinda how the games run at the higher levels now I suppose lol.

Definitely opposite to Bob's mindset of - let's apply their skill-sets in the positions where they can best be utilized, let the lads kick the ball around, build relationships and let their positive relationships help form good ideas and good football over 90 minutes lol (building good Ideas and good football in how we think football should be played- bob styled comments will forever give me PTSD now lol)

Only thing is Mancini appears to be a fairly picky manager - never fired apart from man city gig and the rest were all mutual termination - ex. because of teams not holding up their ambitions as planned and wanted out when couldn't get players/resources/buy-in
    Not going to happen, hense the tongue, but the/my hope is there. I would like to see a Mancini or someone else of his generation and experience from Europe give MLS a fair go. In particular, I would have really loved to have seen some of those from a generation before the Mancini's, 65 to 75 now, who regularly transitioned between A and B leagues of their heritage country as well as throughout Europe; a few Italians and English, also some Nordic and Slavic come to my mind.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t understand how Smyrniotis works given his ownership of Sigma.

Herdman is an interesting name, he could probably do both jobs a la Nick Nurse… but, seeing the conversation in these parts on Kaye, Laryea, Osorio… I think he would be well advised to steer clear.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think if Herdman had been available, he'd have been the perfect 6 month interim type. Come in, pick the group of the floor and improve the morale etc

Intrigued by Bobby. He deserves a shot at a higher level based on his success with Forge but I'm not 100% sure if I want that step up to be with us.

Stay well clear of Robinson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ; I think he would be well advised to steer clear.
    I certainly would if I was a coach with any prospects.

Come to TFC and your boss is a guy with zero rope left and your coworker in charge of getting you players is a complete unknown.

I thought it was interesting in the tweets that it sounded like we approached Carl Robinson. He didn’t approach us, we reached out. So we went through our list and said this guy with an awful record as a coach and questions about links to player agencies, he should be on our list for consideration.

Wow, we are desperate.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I thought it was interesting in the tweets that it sounded like we approached Carl Robinson. He didn’t approach us, we reached out. So we went through our list and said this guy with an awful record as a coach and questions about links to player agencies, he should be on our list for consideration.

Wow, we are desperate.
    Nah, we're lazy and are still opting for familiarity and/or fan service over proper recruiting and searching for someone with a vision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gareth Wheeler is hard to listen to sometimes, but Herdman is starting to sound like he might be the guy according to this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    Dwayne De Rosario, new Striker Coach!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I certainly would if I was a coach with any prospects.

Come to TFC and your boss is a guy with zero rope left and your coworker in charge of getting you players is a complete unknown.

Wow, we are desperate.
    That's definitely being misperceived, they have a ton of inquiries from out of work managers' agents, from all over the place. Many are not a particularly good fit with MLS.

There are just dozens and dozens of out-of-work pro managers at any one time, a very small number of available jobs. Even "guaranteed to lose" jobs get a ton of interest.

And I know that they're also looking at several USL managers who've been successful.

This trio is a small window, not the entirety, that's why it's taking so long and Manning is still saying "as long as it takes" internally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, from what Wheeler says in that clip, it sounds like Mark Warburton was brought all the way up to the board and they said “no”. They then refocused on Herdman.

It all sounds very strange. Not that I put much stock in the board but I wonder what the stumbling block was?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, from what Wheeler says in that clip, it sounds like Mark Warburton was brought all the way up to the board and they said “no”. They then refocused on Herdman.

It all sounds very strange. Not that I put much stock in the board but I wonder what the stumbling block was?
    Contract?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll ask about this but I suspect this is not accurate. It's completely left-field from everyone they've talked to so far.

Their internal discussions have been about finding someone who has won consistently but also has worked with smaller budget allocations and restrictions, some of the challenges they might face in MLS.

He's 60. I highly doubt this was ever a thing, it feels like an agent hyping a client to draw attention as he is out of work.

Claims in this interview he turned down Saudi, and wouldn't go to a league without "history." Again, makes it seems doubtful.

https://talksport.com/edge/1518924/w...n-coach-saudi/
    Last edited by jloome; 08-15-2023 at 04:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some quotes from Hernandez who is satisfied with Dunfield's performance.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/tfc...k=tw&tsrc=twtr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, source? Status quo; TD? Or... Someone else?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

clearly it will be dunfield- how they havent chose a direction yet is crazy. the fact that if they do hire a new coach theres 4 days before the first game back- do they think they can actually make the playoffs considering the way miami is playing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    clearly it will be dunfield- how they havent chose a direction yet is crazy. the fact that if they do hire a new coach theres 4 days before the first game back- do they think they can actually make the playoffs considering the way miami is playing?
    No, that's why they're not worried about rushing it. The season can't be salvaged, so bringing someone just to finish out this season isn't a target.

Would you rather they properly go through a ton of applications and find someone who fits what they want, or should we expect them to just do it quickly?

I ask, because the latter is a recipe for fucking this up again. That doesn't mean I expect them to get it right, necessarily. But there are multiple people probably going to be fired if they fuck this up, so they're not going to rush it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Some quotes from Hernandez who is satisfied with Dunfield's performance.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/tfc...k=tw&tsrc=twtr
    In fairness, Hernandez is also saying there’s a lot of challenging circumstances around the team and knows the results aren’t there.

But, I think we’d all struggle to make any sense of what is going on at TFC. Coaching search is still up in the air. We don’t know if the coach is coming now or later. We don’t know if the Italians will be shipped out. Yet, the GM is tweaking the roster with incoming players ?

Really the communication here has been world-class awful and it should be Manning up there answering questions, not hiding in the corner office and sending out Hernandez. And god forbid anyone in our press core hammered these guys after watching this team circle in the drain for 3 years straight.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was gonna say

Who actually thinks this team should now consider making the playoffs this year in terms of any decisions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Under no circumstances should John Herdman even be considered as coach. He hijacked the men's coaching gig by threatening to leave the national program if not given the role. Mancini to me, is a great option to get the best out of players. He's dealt with headaches and has won trophies.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EL DUQUE'----' View Post
    Under no circumstances should John Herdman even be considered as coach. He hijacked the men's coaching gig by threatening to leave the national program if not given the role. Mancini to me, is a great option to get the best out of players. He's dealt with headaches and has won trophies.
    He is also too good for here and going to the Saudis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I was gonna say

Who actually thinks this team should now consider making the playoffs this year in terms of any decisions?
    If they had started this when it was obvious we were in trouble under Bob, there was still an opportunity to rescue the season. At least make the playoffs. That opportunity is long gone now. Might as well take their time, but recognizing it was there inaction/incompetence that got us here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    If they had started this when it was obvious we were in trouble under Bob, there was still an opportunity to rescue the season. At least make the playoffs. That opportunity is long gone now. Might as well take their time, but recognizing it was there inaction/incompetence that got us here.

you talking about this season or last season when the team was gutted instead of trying to get as many points with players TFC deemed useless or worthless in a trade.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you talking about this season or last season when the team was gutted instead of trying to get as many points with players TFC deemed useless or worthless in a trade.
    Axes should have fallen around the time of that Athletic article so end of May. Things were already so shit by then there should have already been some contact & initial discussions for at least choice A & B after Bob's sacking. That happens in May and maybe we're still within 2 wins of a solid playoff spot or already there. But we waited too long and had no one lined up so we ended up with a barely (no?) better Dunfield running us into the ground.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This year. Somewhere around the timing Ultra mentions above they should have begun the search already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC's MLS DNA sequence since GVanney left...

LDLWDLLLLLLWDDWDLDLLLLLLWDWWLLDDDLDLLWWDWLLLLLDWLWLLDLLWDWWDLWDLLLLLLDDWDDDDLWLLDLWD DDLLLLLL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They definitely won't get the new coach until the off-season, at which point they'll ship out the Italians and start getting the players the new coach wants.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    They definitely won't get the new coach until the off-season, at which point they'll ship out the Italians and start getting the players the new coach wants.
    Better to do it this way unless they hire a new manager soon and he doesn't actually start the job until next season. He could observe from the stands until then.