Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How in the world the CSA cannot monetize this group of players is beyond me. This is Canada's golden generation barring some minor issues. This is all going to wither away after 2026 isn't it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post

Frankly, MLS should be catching criticism right along with the CPL. It's both been a great spot to foster Canadian talent compared to the complete vacuum we've had here, but now it's infiltrated our 3 biggest markets, and directly impacts the ability of a domestic league to thrive, all while primarily serving US soccer.
    If the league can't survive without a team in Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver then there shouldn't be a league. CPL is made to be small and there's no reason the other CFL cities can't average 3-5K or more.

I would also say that without the Canadian MLS teams there wouldn't be a CPL because the three teams helped build a newer generation of football fans along with the latest incarnation of the CMNT. Without that we would have something else like the CSL playing at high school stadiums.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    How in the world the CSA cannot monetize this group of players is beyond me. This is Canada's golden generation barring some minor issues. This is all going to wither away after 2026 isn't it?
    Oh they're monetizing the shit out of it. It's just that almost all the money goes to CSB and the rest is split paying the CSA executives their bonuses, covering expenses, and lastly funding the national teams.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
    I thought it was signed when people didn't give a crap about Canadian Men's soccer, a couple years removed from losses to the likes of Martinique and Mauritania. At the time they were having to pay the big providers to put their games on TV. Someone offered them money, they saw dollar signs, and all the sudden it looks incredibly short sighted when the team continues to take massive steps forward.

I don't know what the answer is. I don't think cheering for the demise of the CPL is it. We've already seen the CPL keep players in the game that were about to leave it. Dominic Zator was going to quit and become an accountant, but then the CPL was formed, and he's on the field with the national team a few years later. Not saying the CPL is perfect, and the incestuous ownership structure looks completely problematic, but should we throw the baby out with the bathwater here?

Funding our national programs properly and having a domestic league thrive shouldn't be mutually exclusive. We will continue to have huge challenges, however, as our travel costs are off the charts compared to any other foreign league operating at the same level of play and/or revenue as the CPL. If you asked me if there should be government subsidies for hockey in Canada, I'd tell you you're insane. There is a massive revenue engine there that can and should give back to the lower levels that form the foundations it sits on. Soccer in Canada is not in the same state, so maybe the answer should be significantly different if we want to invest in it to try get it self sufficient.

Frankly, MLS should be catching criticism right along with the CPL. It's both been a great spot to foster Canadian talent compared to the complete vacuum we've had here, but now it's infiltrated our 3 biggest markets, and directly impacts the ability of a domestic league to thrive, all while primarily serving US soccer.

It's all a mess, lol.
    minor league teams in big cities will never thrive.

look at how badly the argos do at attracting fans.

and sure, you have zator as a success story. ended up on quite a mediocre side in poland.

that money funding the CPL would 100% be better off being put towards youth development in this country. you'd have just way way more success in building up soccer in this country that way.

as it is, the CSB deal is propping up the CPL which, frankly, has not been a success.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Oh they're monetizing the shit out of it. It's just that almost all the money goes to CSB and the rest is split paying the CSA executives their bonuses, covering expenses, and lastly funding the national teams.
    yep, this money could be laying the groundwork for elite youth development programs in this country that could legit turn us into a power house.

instead it'll prop up the CPL for a decade, a league basically doomed to fail from the start.

and we'll be back to square one by 2030

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The WC qualification alone should have been worth a lot of money.....where did it all go?

Not having friendlies is shameful....could be huge gate receipts...and if we can't get Euro teams to come here (Croatia would not come but would be a sell out of Cros if played in Toronto no doubt)...then why don't we go to Europe? South American teams like Brazil and the Argies etc will play in Europe to accomodate their euro based players....

Play ltierally ANYONE....not playing in international dates is shocking....I can only imagine what guys like Davies and David are thinking.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hala Hrvatska View Post
    The WC qualification alone should have been worth a lot of money.....where did it all go?
    It went to the CSB so we can be fully immersed in the sheer entertainment of a Valour vs Pacific match with Wheeler & Brennan blathering on and on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not having friendlies is shameful....could be huge gate receipts...and if we can't get Euro teams to come here (Croatia would not come but would be a sell out of Cros if played in Toronto no doubt)...then why don't we go to Europe? South American teams like Brazil and the Argies etc will play in Europe to accomodate their euro based players....

Play ltierally ANYONE....not playing in international dates is shocking....I can only imagine what guys like Davies and David are thinking.
    I was thinking that Canada vs. Wales would be an easy setup at minimum, considering the current situation with Wrexham. We could possibly get a "mate's rate" on the stadium!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woolly View Post
    I was thinking that Canada vs. Wales would be an easy setup at minimum, considering the current situation with Wrexham. We could possibly get a "mate's rate" on the stadium!
    Definitely. And Wales are a tough team even without Bale....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    It went to the CSB so we can be fully immersed in the sheer entertainment of a Valour vs Pacific match with Wheeler & Brennan blathering on and on.

wasnt there an article stating how they spent all the money on ridiculously expensive suits lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    minor league teams in big cities will never thrive.

look at how badly the argos do at attracting fans.

and sure, you have zator as a success story. ended up on quite a mediocre side in poland.

that money funding the CPL would 100% be better off being put towards youth development in this country. you'd have just way way more success in building up soccer in this country that way.

as it is, the CSB deal is propping up the CPL which, frankly, has not been a success.
    The CPL wouldn't have to be as minor league if the big markets were available to a Canadian domestic league. I'm obviously an MLS fan, hence why I'm here, but I find it hard to wrap my head around the fact that domestic soccer in Canada would look dramatically different (and better) if Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver were available to form a part of it. Who knows, maybe we'd have enough for two proper tiers of professional soccer?

I also don't agree that definitively dumping all of the money going to the CPL into youth development leads to better results. IMO both are very important pieces of the overall picture. I live in a CPL market and have absolutely seen soccer fans being created before my eyes. I also see what has happened with taking our existing development teams (Foothills) and attaching them to a viable option to progress as adults/professionals. I also think it's facilitated expansion of the League 1 semi-pro structure across the country, further bolstering successful development clubs like Foothills FC. Kids were formerly playing for dead-end teams, hoping they'd get noticed to have a shot somewhere. There is a way clearer path now. You crapped on the Zator example, but there have been others that have gotten good looks and moved on globally. We don't need CPL->Bundesliga to call this a success, we just need to find a way to keep kids engaged in meaningful soccer and to see a way for them to make a livelihood from it.

More resources for youth development? Yes please!

As domestic league to provide a path for those kids? Essential as well.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And where are these youth supposed to find professional opportunities? There are major problems with the CSB deal, but having a professional domestic league is crucial to the player pathway. Indeed, youth development is a major element of CPL, from academies/U21 programs with Pacific, Cavalry, York, and Halifax, mandated U21 minutes, to partnerships with USPORTS and L1C (the latter of which is owned by CSB) allowing loans between the respective leagues and CanPL.

I think we can be critical of the CSB deal, while recognizing the benefits of having a domestic league and that the ideal circumstance for improving footballing standards and developing Canadian football culture is for there to be mutually-beneficial relationships between the 3 MLS clubs and the CPL/L1C. Sad to say, CF Montreal has done a better job in this regard, having their academy team in L1Q, relying on CanPL as an important step in their player pathway and paying dividends with Sirois, Rea, and Pantemis.

Also think of all the players we'd have lost without CPL ... many TFC academy players who were cut now have professional opportunities across the league, McNaughton was going to retire after he was snubbed by TFC II but now via Pacific, he's become an important cog in one of the best teams in the league (shame he couldn't stay with us).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is why the CSA and CSB are fighting to not have to open the books. If they do get opened, the financial mismanagement will sink the lot of them. The men's team has yet to see any compensation from the WC. I think they are the only ones in the Football world that can screw things up worse than Manning.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sid goes off on Canada Soccer, and the media… this is great

“What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Sid goes off on Canada Soccer, and the media… this is great

LOL, that's quite the media shitkicking. But he's not wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    I think we can be critical of the CSB deal, while recognizing the benefits of having a domestic league and that the ideal circumstance for improving footballing standards and developing Canadian football culture is for there to be mutually-beneficial relationships between the 3 MLS clubs and the CPL/L1C.
    You said it better than me. I agree with your entire post, but this is just spot on.

Reinforcing this again, a kid who grew up in Canada just netted a ~$500k transfer to Ligue 2. If the CPL is fulfilling it's role, it's Canadian domestic teams netting those transfer fees instead of some foreign club that pounces on our young players. That money needs to go back into the engine to keep the thing running (and hopefully provides a path to financial certainty without crap like the CSB mess).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, the OneSoccer trio are really being loathsome about Herdman. You should look up their dissection on YouTube. Just dripping in bile.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Man, the OneSoccer trio are really being loathsome about Herdman. You should look up their dissection on YouTube. Just dripping in bile.
    Looking less and less like Conway is staying....and Wheeler might be destroying his chance to stay on TFC's radio feed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do thy CSB overlord's bidding.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who would have thought that the very successful coach who everyone loved is getting ripped to shreds after he started criticizing the csb deal and csa party line?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who would have thought that the very successful coach who everyone loved is getting ripped to shreds after he started criticizing the csb deal and csa party line?
    The really disgusting part was that Platt was trying his best to play in neutral and straight, but Wheeler and Petrillo just had the claws out.

For as little as small-market broadcast media earn in this country, you'd think they'd be harder to buy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not going to help making their next hire when everyone gets to see how they treated the outgoing coach who brought the most success ever to our men's and women's programs.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The really disgusting part was that Platt was trying his best to play in neutral and straight, but Wheeler and Petrillo just had the claws out.

For as little as small-market broadcast media earn in this country, you'd think they'd be harder to buy.
    The csa/ csb literally pays their wages.

It's why I'll never watch it, just straight propaganda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Petrillo’s hubby also is also looking like he is about to use up his final nine lives at TFC so there I’m sure it’s personal considering his next gig will probably be in the USA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assuming we saw the same clip, I didn't see that at all.

Was it 50/50 right down the middle, of course not. Nothing in the media ever is, but it wasn't as bad as it's being made out to be. The truth is usually down the middle.

KJ's comments earlier this week were pretty spot on though I thought. Sure maybe he's got a bit of an axe to grind given the past with them, but it's not fox news type reporting.

Maybe it's just me though?
    Just an opinion piece at the end of the day.

Funny how people (rightfully in many cases) complain about the CSA taking the raw deal from the CSB/OS's parent, because Bell Media wanted to be paid to air CMNT matches and because the OS crew aren't critical enough on air, but no one is asking why the TSN crew aren't critical of the "deal" they offered the CSA and how bad that would've been too.
    There's no way you'll see JDG say anything even remotely close to that.

Imagine the uproar for that "WTF is the CSA thinking/doing? They have to pay to air matches?"
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny you mention that because one thing they mentioned on the show this week was that it appears things started going sour after it was announced that the CSA was going to be going for an equal deal between the mens and womens programs dollar wise.

This is just me, but seems that money that would've gone to the CMNT, now had to be allocated to the CWNT.

So if you had a $10m budget with a 70/30 split, and you then need to even it off, the men have "lost" it.

Not sure if being completely equal is the right choice in this case since the mens program is where the money is, but if this is the deal they want going forwards so be it.
    Have to remember that the CSA is little. They don't have the massive budgets of other federations.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSamurai View Post
    Funny you mention that because one thing they mentioned on the show this week was that it appears things started going sour after it was announced that the CSA was going to be going for an equal deal between the mens and womens programs dollar wise.

This is just me, but seems that money that would've gone to the CMNT, now had to be allocated to the CWNT.

So if you had a $10m budget with a 70/30 split, and you then need to even it off, the men have "lost" it.

Not sure if being completely equal is the right choice in this case since the mens program is where the money is, but if this is the deal they want going forwards so be it.
    Have to remember that the CSA is little. They don't have the massive budgets of other federations.
    They'd have way more money if it wasn't mostly being siphoned off to the csb.

Both the canwnt and canmnt know this.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSamurai View Post

You mean the CanWNT that won a gold medal before the CanMNT started its qualifying?!??!!

For years, the sponsor interest was the women.

(edited out some stuff)
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 09-02-2023 at 05:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are paid by Media Pro a Spanish company. They have no affiliation with the CSA and CSB other than that their employers bought the rights to broadcast the cpl and Canada matches.