Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonder if Jesse Marsh has been approached or is he eyeing to stay in Europe?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    From what I can gather, there appears to have been reservations of having him as head coach of Santos, as they pride themselves on a free-flowing possession team, and he appears to me more of a rigid tactician. Very specific pressing tactics, not like Armas full-field pressing, but very detailed on when/how to press, etc. After an underwhelming season, him and the team mutually agreed to leave...after one season so... uh...

Might be exactly what we need, or another Armas, or something in between. Who knows! Excited 👍🏽
    Last edited by Red I; 08-03-2023 at 10:45 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    From what I can gather, there appears to have been reservations of having him as head coach of Santos, as they pride themselves on a free-flowing possession team, and he appears to me more of a rigid tactician. Very specific pressing tactics, not like Armas full-field pressing, but very detailed on when/how to press, etc. And he mutually agreed to leave after one season so... uh...

Might be exactly what we need, or another Armas, or something in between. Who knows! Excited 👍🏽
    At least he’s used to short term gigs. Something tells me this will be another one if he comes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Wonder if Jesse Marsh has been approached or is he eyeing to stay in Europe?
    Let's hope Europe is calling.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    He would have to be at the top of any MLS team's list looking for a coach. I would 110% support the hire. The only ironic thing is that it would likely also involve Chris Armas returning as an assistant coach this time around, we shall see.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    He would have to be at the top of any MLS team's list looking for a coach. I would 110% support the hire. The only ironic thing is that it would likely also involve Chris Armas returning as an assistant coach this time around, we shall see.
    NYRB press would fail just as impressively as it did under Armas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tuca Ferretti out at Cruz Azul.

I floated him out a year or 2 back as someone who would be an ideal candidate in my eyes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    Over a decade at Tigres and in that time span with a high 40's win percentage? Resume in the consideration pile!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. I’m sick of getting all these guys from the same small fraternity of American coaches. And I especially hate RBNY or anyone who was associated with them.

Let’s hope someone else takes him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What i dont understand bill manning had three weeks to get a coach and implement a foundation . Game is a week a way lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    What i dont understand bill manning had three weeks to get a coach and implement a foundation . Game is a week a way lol
    Bruce Arena's contract runs until the end of the year. Maybe Bruce tried to speed it up by being offensive at the office but it looks like it didn't work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bill still clinging on to the hope that Terry Dunfield can win a game and he can justify giving him the job.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Bill still clinging on to the hope that Terry Dunfield can win a game and he can justify giving him the job.
    100% believe the next name in Bill's Roladex after Bod Bradley is Bruce Arena.

That fits his typical hiring profile to a T (lazy + easy search, out of contract soon, American, a pal, MLS & USMNT history, and a name you can make a fancy PR advertising video for).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wishlist at this point is essentially 3 things

- Not Michael Bradley, or anyone else already connected to the club over the past few seasons
    - Not another person from the same US old boys network
    - Somebody who looks even semi competent

I'd probably be most flexible on the third point

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    My wishlist at this point is essentially 3 things

- Not Michael Bradley, or anyone else already connected to the club over the past few seasons
    - Not another person from the same US old boys network
    - Somebody who looks even semi competent

I'd probably be most flexible on the third point
    I would prefer that whoever we hired insisted on bringing in or hiring a whole new backroom staff. Need to drop all the assistants, trainers, & physios too.

But I still can't see Bill, no matter how many times burned, not go back to the US old boys network. This is his bread & butter.

The biggest question of all; when we hire Bruce Arena will we keep Conway as GK Coach?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would prefer that whoever we hired insisted on bringing in or hiring a whole new backroom staff. Need to drop all the assistants, trainers, & physios too.

But I still can't see Bill, no matter how many times burned, not go back to the US old boys network. This is his bread & butter.

The biggest question of all; when we hire Bruce Arena will we keep Conway as GK Coach?
    The harassment thing, unless he gets an unreserved report of innocence, makes Arena untenable. The board would never allow it.

The headlines for that one would be wild if we hired him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe. IDK about an 'unreserved report of innocence'. IMO, seems it would depend on what, when, and the context of, was said. May be a historical accusation similar to Berhalter. I mean where was the MLSEB when JTory parked his mistress within the organization? Not even a whimper from the media? Also, you may read the apparent 'disappearance' of Kaylan Kyle into this situation a number of ways.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 08-14-2023 at 11:16 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Hamilton TiCats a few years ago hired a guy who should have been never hired.

Sponsers were forced to make responses to the hire.

MLSE will never knowingly put themselves in that situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe, but IIRC, isn't John Murphy back with the Argos in some capacity?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The Hamilton TiCats a few years ago hired a guy who should have been never hired.

Sponsers were forced to make responses to the hire.

MLSE will never knowingly put themselves in that situation.
    I was ver surprised that the Art Briles hire caused such a fire storm so quickly. But that was a perfect example He was an assistant coach and typically those hires are typically in the hands of the head coach. He would be the now making them. But the Briles situation at Baylor is the perfect example of people jumping to conclusion before knowing all the facts, what is fact vs. fiction? Reports in 2018 cast doubt on whether Briles was aware of alleged assaults as information came forward showing administrators and local police seemed to bury reports on football players without telling football coaches.On June 19, 2018, former Baylor athletic director Ian McCaw testified during a deposition that the sexual assault scandal that engulfed the school's football program was manufactured by investigators and regents to cover up a larger university-wide issue. McCaw alleged Baylor hatched "an elaborate plan that essentially scapegoated black football players and the football program for being responsible for what was a decades-long, university-wide sexual assault scandal", according to court documents.In late J uly 2018, Briles turned over documents pursuant to a subpoena, which had not been previously produced by Baylor. The documents showed multiple senior Baylor administrators knew about a serial sexual assault assailant" in fall 2011, but, along with Briles, failed to act.[Baylor's legal counsel Christopher Holmes sent a letter addressed to Briles, clarifying Briles did not fail or discourage victims from reporting to law enforcement or university officials.

I feel for anyone who works in HR and has to deal with situations like this, trying to figure out what is fact vs. fiction as people's lives are a stake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Oddly enough, from what I remember of him he's a fairly analytical based coach - and kind of the opposite of bob lol. One of the first managers to have coaches/peers work with him on a consistent basis as a team to review data points and use those data points formulate strategies and how a team should play. I think he was one of the italian managers that still had to go through Coverciano- Italy's rigorous technical center/academy for managers... where they have to write a thesis on advanced subjects, and defend it in order to get their badges.

I still remember watching mini documentary on Man City while he was there discussing tactics and methods of play, and explained for 10 minutes the analytics and numbers that go behind corner kicks and set pieces lol; various delivery angles with dip/english or not, positioning of the players, what other teams do and how they naturally like the defend, difficulty of saving for the keeper based on a bunch of parameters. At the time it was the reason Man city only went for near post set pieces; where a few players [Kompany] make near post runs, with a few dummy runs going through the other areas of the zone to exploit when the opposition started to only track the front post. At the time mancini figured out with his coach staff that statistically over various match-ups in various leagues at the time, that teams were more prolific off corners/set pieces out wide when they were delivered in-swinging with low trajectory at a semi drilled pace, that glanced into the net at the near post position (Think Jozy header, Montreal Semi Finals - w. Giovinco hitting corner), versus any other positions or options, including short pass - or trying to deploy a balanced strategy over all zones of the opponents box. So most other set piece designs to him weren't worth trying to force or make work if the %'s were showing them to have inferior outcomes.

At the time in early 2010s, I thought this felt like absolute overkill, but those kind of deep diving thoughts are kinda how the games run at the higher levels now I suppose lol.

Definitely opposite to Bob's mindset of - let's apply their skill-sets in the positions where they can best be utilized, let the lads kick the ball around, build relationships and let their positive relationships help form good ideas and good football over 90 minutes lol (building good Ideas and good football in how we think football should be played- bob styled comments will forever give me PTSD now lol)

Only thing is Mancini appears to be a fairly picky manager - never fired apart from man city gig and the rest were all mutual termination - ex. because of teams not holding up their ambitions as planned and wanted out when couldn't get players/resources/buy-in
    Last edited by FiveThreeTwo; 08-14-2023 at 04:03 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Maybe, but IIRC, isn't John Murphy back with the Argos in some capacity?
    Its a different person - he's in Italy.

The point is

a) Arena would cause issues that would make sponsors pause

b) we have better options regardless
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 08-14-2023 at 04:07 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The point is

Has there been any suggestion that Arena could face criminal charges as a result of the complaints that have been made against him? Just curious because without them he would still be admissible to Canada from a government standpoint. Without him actually being found guilty of anything would that would enough for sponsors to really take issue with in. We live in a world where you are innocent until proven guilty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://theathletic.com/4776015/2023...herdman-coach/

Hmmm...

Herdman, Smyrniotis and Carl Robinson in the running. The first two are interesting, the last one a bit terrifying. Robbo hasn't had a great go of it as a head coach.
    Last edited by jloome; 08-14-2023 at 04:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is not an inspiring list, but at least it's not the US old boys network or people currently in the team

Have to admit as a non Canadian whose main exposure to Herdman was the world cup he didn't impress me much despite, admittedly, a stellar qualification record. The nativity on display with Croatia was, for that level, just embarrassing and think he got a few key things wrong. But Canadian fans seem to love him so maybe he'd be worth a punt

But overall those three names say "cheap" and "local", not casting a wide net and not looking to spend money.
    Last edited by JoesphNdo; 08-14-2023 at 05:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The point is

Ok. That's not my understanding. TY for the clarification and update.

a) For the record and please understand, fundamentally, I do not disagree with you and your point. If he used a collectively understood derogatory or discriminatory racist, misogynistic or homophobic word/phrase etc., I doubt there would be or should even be a pause. However, if the remark is much more grey in nature, say about someone's hair, looks, etc., then perhaps a debate opens about circumstance, intent and degree/escalation of punishment. At the TFC LC match I was both surprised and pleased that the crowd refrained (progress?) from that notorious Mexican chant that happens during or immediately follows the goalkeeper's kick; unlike during TFC's Y2018 CCL run.

b) I am not so sure. The past is prologue? Arena would be an easy and known quantity selection; a shortcut that is easily communicated and understood by all. Otherwise, it's a pass on the American network for me. It may be time then to consider a Hellmann or a Symyrniotis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, any interview from Smyrniotis I have heard makes him sound even more arrogant than Bob Bradley. That said, he has gotten results in his career. Herdman would be interesting. Has he ever managed a club? The international game can be much different than club football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    https://theathletic.com/4776015/2023...herdman-coach/

Hmmm...

Herdman, Smyrniotis and Carl Robinson in the running. The first two are interesting, the last one a bit terrifying. Robbo hasn't had a great go of it as a head coach.
    Not only that, if Manning opened his eyes and did actual diligence, he’d know that both in Vancouver and down under there were questions about over reliance on certain player agencies. I wouldn’t want him within 100 km of our club.

To me, Smyrniotis is the only interesting one (albeit unproven and maybe has his own conflicts).

Herdman is a guy with a rah-rah speech and is dirt stupid tactically as often as he’s right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's be honest, all 3 are lazy choices. Any of us could of thought up Herdman and Smyrniotis. None of us would be stupid enough to interview Robinson. This coaching search has Bill Manning written all over it.