Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I just can't with Dunfield suggesting we were difficult to play against - CBus wiped the floor with us and only scored 2 because their shooting was awful.

We looked like scoring oportunistically a few times but had no freaking heart.

The only reason I can think of TD to react so delusionally is he has been told to be positive no matter what.

Cause a good coach would say "we were not good enough" to that effort.
    I don't think he has the caustic truth in his nature. He's just too nice for that job.

We need a serious manager, someone who engenders respect and loyalty but can also be a voice of authority when necessary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I just can't with Dunfield suggesting we were difficult to play against - CBus wiped the floor with us and only scored 2 because their shooting was awful.

We looked like scoring oportunistically a few times but had no freaking heart.

The only reason I can think of TD to react so delusionally is he has been told to be positive no matter what.

Cause a good coach would say "we were not good enough" to that effort.
    In what universe is a team that gives up 31 shots at target with 8 on target hard to play against? Dunfield can fuck off and take Sapong and Mabika with him

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Athletic says Herdman official now.

Sooooooo, yeah?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting wrinkle to athletic report:

Herdman leaving influenced by a fractured dressing room after the World Cup. FFS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Interesting wrinkle to athletic report:

Herdman leaving influenced by a fractured dressing room after the World Cup. FFS.
    I can sort of believe that, a little.

I think 'fractured' may be a bit of an overstatement. My understanding is that several of the higher performing Euro-based players, who are generally younger, have issues with how seriously the program is taking advancement.

That includes hanging onto and playing some older players, as well as game prep and compensation.

Mind you, that same group wants international friendly payments on par with what top nations get, perceiving their commercial value in league play to be the same representing Canada... where the sport has far less uptake in terms of commercial sponsorship, buy in and fan support.

So as bad as the CSA is -- and it's a fucking disaster zone -- there was probably a lack of realism creeping into how some of the team's high performers saw our national situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for Herdman, I already said my peace. I like him, I think he's a good motivator, tactically solid and, most importantly, a field coach deep down.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning’s CMNT infatuation has to end. Herdman is overrated and overmatched tactically. And he has no experience coaching club football.

I guess the only good thing for me as a CMNT fan is we might get someone better for the national team now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    As for Herdman, I already said my peace. I like him, I think he's a good motivator, tactically solid and, most importantly, a field coach deep down.
    the WCQ campaign was incredibly impressive.

he outcoached tata and berhalter comfortably.

people forget we didnt have davies for a huge chunk of it, missed eustaquio for the most crucial window.

he turned our biggest weakness (defence) into our biggest strength.

people will talk about the WC, but the reality is we outplayed belgium comprehensively, only looked outmatched at all after eustaquio picked up that injury vs croatia, talent gap was just too big.

my main worry is that bill will try to use this to distract fans and avoid making the huge structural changes needed to make the club successful again (in terms of recruitment, sports science, academy).
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 08-28-2023 at 01:57 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Manning’s CMNT infatuation has to end. Herdman is overrated and overmatched tactically. And he has no experience coaching club football.

I guess the only good thing for me as a CMNT fan is we might get someone better for the national team now.
    it's going to be a CPL coach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Herdman has now officially left Canada.

https://x.com/canadasocceren/status/...TYuC7d1S--5-MA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    the WCQ campaign was incredibly impressive.

he outcoached tata and berhalter comfortably.

people forget we didnt have davies for a huge chunk of it, missed eustaquio for the most crucial window.

he turned our biggest weakness (defence) into our biggest strength.

people will talk about the WC, but the reality is we outplayed belgium comprehensively, only looked outmatched at all after eustaquio picked up that injury vs croatia, talent gap was just too big.
    Dude, Croatia was toying with Canada that game...nothing to do with Eustaqio....

Herdman tactically got his a.ss handed to him there...what did he think going to happen man for man vs Modric, Kovacic and Brozovic?

And Perisic absolutely destroyed Johnston out wide....and Herdman didn't provide him any support.

Sorry as a Croatian, I thought the Mickey Mouse bush league "F Croatia" was completely idiotic and lost respect for the guy...then he didn't shake hands with the Croatian coach afterwards. And you better believe the Croatian team read all about Herdman's comments...Kramaric (who scored two) mentioned it post game....

But Herdman aside...

Why again no South American or Euro coach? This is ridiculous...only thing worse would be some American retread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If true, I will be selling all tickets until this ass clown is fired. Both Manning, now Herdman. What a fiasco of hiring. This little cheerleader should not take a team with established players. So he now throws a wrench in the Men's program and leaves. We dont need a rah rah motivator, we need a coach who elevates and players respect. Insigne and Bernadeschi will run this clown out of Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man the CSA is a bigger disaster then we are.
    I guess at least here Herdman knows theirs money to fund the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EL DUQUE'----' View Post
    If true, I will be selling all tickets until this ass clown is fired. Both Manning, now Herdman. What a fiasco of hiring. This little cheerleader should not take a team with established players. So he now throws a wrench in the Men's program and leaves. We dont need a rah rah motivator, we need a coach who elevates and players respect. Insigne and Bernadeschi will run this clown out of Toronto.
    This...the Italians or any other DPs down the road will have zero respect for him and tune him out....and then we go again, have to pay him out....

Manning should not been alllowed ANYWHERE near the next hiring....has to be gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Officially officialized.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hala Hrvatska View Post
    This...the Italians or any other DPs down the road will have zero respect for him and tune him out....and then we go again, have to pay him out....

Manning should not been alllowed ANYWHERE near the next hiring....has to be gone.
    the italians shoulnd't be anywhere near the club if we're being honest, those signsing have been disasters, probably the worst things bill manning did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the italians shoulnd't be anywhere near the club if we're being honest, those signsing have been disasters, probably the worst things bill manning did.
    Manning should be gone. Every decision he makes has made us worse.

Truth be told, was expecting him to name MB a player coach or something American'ish....at least that didn't happen. For now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terry Ball will prevail for another month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hala Hrvatska View Post
    Manning should be gone. Every decision he makes has made us worse.

Truth be told, was expecting him to name MB a player coach or something American'ish....at least that didn't happen. For now.
    That’s next year. Herdman is filling a hole for Manning’s master plan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post

Ugh....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can confidently say herdman too will fail unless huge structural changes to the club are made.

Changes that we were promised months ago

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so his first game as head coach will be against arfield...hilarious

did great qualifying canada to the world cup but should be noted that head coaching at club and national team levels are very different and he has no experience as head coach of a pro club team...in any case best wishes to him but a trio of manning herdman hernandez seems unlikely to work out...and if it doesnt then its probably the end for manning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can confidently say herdman too will fail unless huge structural changes to the club are made.

Changes that we were promised months ago
    He has plenty of roster spending issues to deal with. Thankfully, there are several deals that are either up this year or there are options.

People noting the lack of club experience, but he worked in Sunderland’s youth academy. I’m betting he has more practical coaching experience than anyone we’ve had, other than maybe Perez.

Plus, they take coaching seriously there. North American coaching is a fucking wasteland by comparison.
    Last edited by jloome; 08-28-2023 at 02:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He has plenty of roster spending issues to deal with. Thankfully, there are several deals that are either up this year or there are options.

People noting the lack of club experience, but he worked in Sunderland’s youth academy. I’m betting he has more practical coaching experience than anyone we’ve had, other than maybe Perez.

Plus, they take coaching seriously there. North American coaching is a fucking wasteland by comparison.
    I’m not as caught up about the lack of club experience as some people are.

I just think he’s still got a dope for a boss and an inexperienced partner as GM. Plus he’s coming to a club with a lot of baggage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post

So basically, give him the easiest environment possible to try and get an optical win before the end of the season and tell people “it will all be alright in 2024”

What a joke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was highly skeptical when he took over the men's national team after having coached only women's teams, but he did better than any other manager in Canadian history. So I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Beat my skepticism once, so I hope he can do it again without any club experience.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    If by better you mean Neville, then yes. Much better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I’m not as caught up about the lack of club experience as some people are.

I just think he’s still got a dope for a boss and an inexperienced partner as GM. Plus he’s coming to a club with a lot of baggage.
    100% agree.

If this was the Leafs Manning would have been gone years ago. This club needs to be burned right down to the ground.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my main worry is that bill will try to use this to distract fans and avoid making the huge structural changes needed to make the club successful again (in terms of recruitment, sports science, academy).
    This is it right here. Seems like a Manning papering over the cracks move.

As for Herdman:

Pros
    - Knows what he is doing
    - Field coach
    - Motivator
    - Proven to fix bad culture
    - Probably will want a lot of roster control & that might be good
    - Has some pull in getting players

Cons
    - New to club football
    - Rah rah act might wear thin
    - Possibly too much continuity in areas