Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I'm not sold that he will survive anyways. Wouldn't surprise me to see Herdman strong arm his way right in to the backroom of TFC and get his people appointed everywhere, especially if he does well. He strikes me as a high ambition, ruthless sort and I could see him try to rule the roost.
    It would surprise the hell out of me.

They're not going back to one person being in charge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't remember the last time a rank-and-file MLS coaching appointment got a Guardian article.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-at-toronto-fc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Don't remember the last time a rank-and-file MLS coaching appointment got a Guardian article.

“All this turnover explains why Toronto FC have lacked any sort of tactical framework over the last two seasons. There has been a misalignment between different departments of the club. While Bradley wanted to play a possession-oriented game, he was signed players who were better in quick transition.”

Lol.

Perhaps they have that backwards? (Wanted transition, got possession) Also, who was he assigned other than the Italians? He built the whole roster!

Oh the American Soccer machine, out to salvage BB’s reputation. We can all have a laugh in 12 months when he’s either still unemployed or managing Porto Rico.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^This is a good discussion to have, because it gets at the difference between having good people doing something for the first time (Dichio and Dunfield) vs having someone who has been doing something for a long time (Herdman).

Thanks for that...much appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    “All this turnover explains why Toronto FC have lacked any sort of tactical framework over the last two seasons. There has been a misalignment between different departments of the club. While Bradley wanted to play a possession-oriented game, he was signed players who were better in quick transition.”

Lol.

Perhaps they have that backwards? (Wanted transition, got possession) Also, who was he assigned other than the Italians? He built the whole roster!

Oh the American Soccer machine, out to salvage BB’s reputation. We can all have a laugh in 12 months when he’s either still unemployed or managing Porto Rico.
    Yeah, he just makes shit up, Ruthven. He takes legit issues or point and then tries to elaborate.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    https://archive.ph/pKltd

toronto star article with more details about herdman leaving canada soccer.

it sounds even worse than we thought:

1) the CSB deal takes all the broadcast and sponsorship money, and they only see 2.5 M back. explains why they are so broke.

2) the two friendlies being cancelled was the final straw for herdman

3) the budget cuts for the national team programs are expected to get worse in the coming years.
    Can someone kindly take me back in time and rehash my memory regarding the CSB deal? Why did Canada soccer sign this deal if it was so disastrous for them?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ruthven is a terrible writer and no journalist.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Can someone kindly take me back in time and rehash my memory regarding the CSB deal? Why did Canada soccer sign this deal if it was so disastrous for them?
    Cause...its the CSA? Where the relationships are all made up & the accountability don't matter.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most likely because the fat cats at the CSA are either part of the CSB or are getting kickbacks from the CSB.

I bet all these sketchy CSA executives are still being paid and will get their 2023 bonuses for the great work they've done this year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would surprise the hell out of me.

They're not going back to one person being in charge.
    I wouldn't say one as in just Herdman doing the Bob routine but rather a collective of Herdman's people in various roles working as a unit. But all there from him.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Cause...its the CSA? Where the relationships are all made up & the accountability don't matter.
    Fair enough!

Most likely because the fat cats at the CSA are either part of the CSB or are getting kickbacks from the CSB.

I bet all these sketchy CSA executives are still being paid and will get their 2023 bonuses for the great work they've done this year.
    At the time I thought they were simply copying the US model United soccer marketing. The Canadian deal does sound very one sided and ill timed. Yikes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, that’s part of the controversy in the first place.

If you listen to the two former presidents, the CSB deal was “absolutely necessary to have the funding to compete in WCQ and secure the association’s future”.

But when you hear the story of the due diligence they did on the numbers in advance of signing, that all falls apart quickly. The accountant they had run the numbers looks to have acted in an unsophisticated and naive manner. Speaking as someone who deals with investment and valuations frequently, at best, the CSA made a critically flawed analysis of the value of what they were selling, crippling their organization.

This all came out of the commons testimony.

But without even needing to go through all the mechanics of this, the easy (and correct) thing to say is: interest in national team football has never been higher and yet the CSA is financially struggling. The contract that was supposed to provide them financial security doesn’t do anything of the sort. They massively screwed up or purposely screwed this up.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Craig Forrest, who is friends with him, said on Footy Prime today that Herdman had to, over the course of 12 years, go out and raise most of the money from private sponsorship himself to pay for his staff.

Jesus H. And we think TFC is a shitshow.
    incredibly grim.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, that’s part of the controversy in the first place.

If you listen to the two former presidents, the CSB deal was “absolutely necessary to have the funding to compete in WCQ and secure the association’s future”.
    Thank you. Yes I remember this fine detail. Appreciate the rest. It's like our sport is doomed to fail in this country. Everything and everyone is against us. Embarrassingly sad.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

incredibly grim.
    Sadly this does not surprise me. Even as a step down this is an improvement.

Side note, Leeds your Inbox is full.
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
    Sadly this does not surprise me. Even as a step down this is an improvement.

Side note, Leeds your Inbox is full.
    cleared some space!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you. Yes I remember this fine detail. Appreciate the rest. It's like our sport is doomed to fail in this country. Everything and everyone is against us. Embarrassingly sad.
    There have been some rumours the next president will be Dino Rossi. He used to post on the V’s forum back in the day and I’d describe him (from what I’ve seen online) as bright and caring about the game in Canada. Will he be the change that is needed? I don’t know. But the more popular the game gets here and the more public its results, the brighter the people who will be attracted to the association and the more the public pressure will be to get it right.

I’ve been waiting my entire life to watch the Bontis and Cochrane types at the CSA get skewered in a public forum. So despite all the negative headlines and negative headlines, this wasn’t entirely a bad year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Craig Forrest, who is friends with him, said on Footy Prime today that Herdman had to, over the course of 12 years, go out and raise most of the money from private sponsorship himself to pay for his staff.

Jesus H. And we think TFC is a shitshow.
    Wow. This posted needs to keep getting bumped for a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There have been some rumours the next president will be Dino Rossi. He used to post on the V’s forum back in the day and I’d describe him (from what I’ve seen online) as bright and caring about the game in Canada. Will he be the change that is needed? I don’t know. But the more popular the game gets here and the more public its results, the brighter the people who will be attracted to the association and the more the public pressure will be to get it right.

I’ve been waiting my entire life to watch the Bontis and Cochrane types at the CSA get skewered in a public forum. So despite all the negative headlines and negative headlines, this wasn’t entirely a bad year.

was actually sitting next to him on the way to vegas -he seemed like a real nice guy- -i did ask him whats next for him but he didnt disclose- wife is nice as well. even when we went our separate ways everytime we walked by each other outside the stadium or at the airport they greeted me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CSB deal is on the verge of crushing Canada soccer.

Good chance federation will have to file bankruptcy in future due to this.

Non zero chance of WC being stripped if we fail to fulfill some fixtures too.

Btw if it was just broadcast, sure.

The commercial element of the deal is the issue. It's siphoning 10s of millions from the program leaving it on verge of bankruptcy and in giant conflicts with both the canmnt and canwnt.

It's a joke to listen to anyone on onesoccer in relation to this.

Their livelihoods rely on the CSB deal. They also almost certainly have an editorial line enforced.

They didn't even cover the story a couple months ago when canada soccer was reporting it may have to declare bankruptcy.

A huge joke, "home of Canadian soccer" my ass.
    They did talk about the bankruptcy claim on there (onesoccer), and thought it was a bit premature to consider it.

Plus, as someone that works in that industry, it doesn't automatically mean everything is ok all of a sudden.
    Unfortunately DeVos sounds like he took a page from Michael Scott on that one and a comment like that shouldn't have ever left the boardroom.
    And just like that the CPL has me rooting for it's demise almost as much as I do for the CFL.
    No CPL means no World Cup being hosted.

Why isn't Westhead reporting on why Bell Media wanted the CSA to pay them to air CMNT matches?
    Is anyone expecting JDG or any of the soccer heads to be critical of Bell on air?
    Last edited by SilverSamurai; 08-29-2023 at 01:38 PM. Reason: clarification

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why i dislike the hiring- well because as stated before lazy hiring- this could actually even be lazier than the previous hires- as if i recall Herdman approached TFC For the job?

Questions that go through my mind are-
    - Did TFC identify any candidates
    - How many of the candidates did TFC actually interview
    - What was their actual plan -if herdman didnt approach for the position?(was it to keep dunfield as lame duck-which is ironic because this should be manning?)
    -and then hire a new coach in the summer at end of season?
    - does this mean Hernandez locked his position permanently?
    -does this also mean manning isnt going any where?

I dont want to tell anyone how to feel about the hiring- I want everyone to focus on the consistent person who hasnt really hurt this club- the hiring is decent -but the main focus should be on ensuring manning is gone- we have seen his impact- regardless as exciting as it is to have a new coach for 3 games prior to having a permanent - Club Director.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on what's been said Bell (TSN/Sportsnet) wanted the CSA to pay them to air games, so OneSoccer (or whatever their parent is called) offered them cash. Hindsight is 20/20, but the CSA isn't exactly known for having bundles of money.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSamurai View Post
    No CPL means no World Cup.
    I would rather not host the WC than have it used as tool to make the CSB scumbags richer while casting all of our national team programs into disarray and/or oblivion.

And let's not overplay the value of the CPL here. We still had the CSL here prior so there was a league and what's sad is that as corrupt as that was being run, this is actually worse.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSamurai View Post
    Based on what's been said Bell (TSN/Sportsnet) wanted the CSA to pay them to air games, so OneSoccer (or whatever their parent is called) offered them cash. Hindsight is 20/20, but the CSA isn't exactly known for having bundles of money.
    would have been absolutely fine it wasnt the commercial income too, which everyone knew would be skyrocketing in lieu of hosting a WC.

banana republic org,.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also regarding herdman at the world cup-

i feel like david should have been at the PK instead of davies
    the croatia game he left slow CB to be exposed (i guess sense of loyalty to older players regardless of importance of game)
    didnt make adjustments soon enough in the crotia game
    -morocco game -still questioned the line up as he left one of the inform strikers on the bench.

game in curacao- he didnt even realize he had a red card and couldnt even coach.

- i did meet herdman in curacao- he actually got my attention ( i assume he enjoys the attention/appreciation/fandom?) he seemed like a very nice guy.

I also did sneak into where they had their meetings and saw herdmans approach to motivating the guys- he had goals written out such as (repeat as concacaf champions)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the CPL a condition of hosting the World Cup then?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would rather not host the WC than have it used as tool to make the CSB scumbags richer while casting all of our national team programs into disarray and/or oblivion.

And let's not overplay the value of the CPL here. We still had the CSL here prior so there was a league and what's sad is that as corrupt as that was being run, this is actually worse.
    I don’t mind the idea of the CSL. But it’s wrong for anyone to equate having the CPL to having the CSB deal that was signed. It’s a joke.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Is the CPL a condition of hosting the World Cup then?
    I think the idea is that you need to have a league or are using the WC to jump start a league.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The one criticism of Herdman that I do really get is that he has never coached club football before.

That is a huge variable/unknown, and if this goes wrong, that'll be the piece everyone focuses on.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    The one criticism of Herdman that I do really get is that he has never coached club football before.

That is a huge variable/unknown, and if this goes wrong, that'll be the piece everyone focuses on.
    I'm not sure I understand it, logically.

It's harder to coach a national team than a club, by pretty much universal acknowledgement. You can't call players whenever you want, you can't pick and choose roster unless at a big country, you have a fraction of the time, sometimes as little as three days a month, to actually talk to and work with them.

It used to be considered such a position of different, disparate functions that it wasn't a full-time job for most countries until the nineties. Prior to that, it was quite common for a club manager to also be the national team manager.

A club has many more parts, so it is different. But I wouldn't say that makes it harder, as most of those pieces offer the manager options he would never have at the national level.

But I suppose it's different enough that he might not adjust. I doubt it; the dude is a workaholic multitasker, and an environment where he can get stuck into a dozen different problems will probably make him happier than a pig in the mud.

If this goes south, it will be because a) they can't shed the wrong personalities quickly enough and b) he doesn't get the roster support he needs from the front office.

I really think this offseason is much more a test of Hernandez than Herdman.