Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on extended highlights only… looked like a decent soccer game. We were better than I expected. That Insigne offside goal should have counted, once again I don’t understand how VAR wasn’t invoked there, and let's give Kaye some love for that ball, which was a beauty.

Although the good chances looked like they were about 8-3 for NE…
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Based on extended highlights only… looked like a decent soccer game. We were better than I expected. That Insigne offside goal should have counted, once again I don’t understand how VAR wasn’t invoked there, and let's give Kaye some love for that ball, which was a beauty.

Although the good chances looked like they were about 8-3 for NE…
    Once the flag is raised they can’t. The assistant is supposed to let play develop and end if unsure, so that it can be reviewed. Once they raise the flag that avenue is not available.

Be nice if they were consistent on that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VAR checks every goal for a clear and obvious error.

In this case, Var couldn't determine in their mind if that was clear and obviously a wrong decision. If the flag had not been raised, VAR would probably have said the same thing.

Thus, the issue actually was the Assistant's call, not VAR.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But my God, what a hit that was by Insigne. And he was on fire coming back centrally to grab things & move with pace to create spaces for people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    VAR checks every goal for a clear and obvious error.

In this case, Var couldn't determine in their mind if that was clear and obviously a wrong decision. If the flag had not been raised, VAR would probably have said the same thing.

Thus, the issue actually was the Assistant's call, not VAR.
    The reason always as to why they sometimes hold the flag is because it is tight and to allow a VAR check.
    In MLS, VAR can only recommend a video review to the referee for four situations: a goal, a penalty kick, straight red card, and mistaken identity.
    Last edited by wopchop; 06-25-2023 at 08:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CorrwgBach View Post
    Once the flag is raised they can’t. The assistant is supposed to let play develop and end if unsure, so that it can be reviewed. Once they raise the flag that avenue is not available.

Be nice if they were consistent on that.
    VAR checked it and thought it wasn't a clear and obvious error according to the commentators. To be fair, I'm not sure I fully disagree, though I do think it was onside I wouldn't stake my life on it. It's one where I think the call on the field would stand whichever way it was

We need the proper offside technology. Completely removes any ambiguity and makes the decision instantly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    VAR checked it and thought it wasn't a clear and obvious error according to the commentators. To be fair, I'm not sure I fully disagree, though I do think it was onside I wouldn't stake my life on it. It's one where I think the call on the field would stand whichever way it was

We need the proper offside technology. Completely removes any ambiguity and makes the decision instantly
    I found myself wishing we had the EPL version of VAR and their offside tech, which I generally find annoying at least 1/3 of the time. Looked on to me.

I actually thought we played well last night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think the offside call was "clear and obvious", and would be okay with the onfield decision standing, except MLS has not been consistent in applying this. I remember a few onside/offside decisions early on in the season last year that were revised to be against us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 06-25-2023 at 03:53 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    I don't think the offside call was "clear and obvious", and would be okay with the onfield decision standing, except MLS has not been consistent in applying this. I remember a few onside/offside decisions early on in the season last year that were revised to be against us.
    pretty sure when it's this tight the linesmen are told to keep their flags down though.

very unlucky imo, although we got lucky on a similar call away at atlanta earlier this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    pretty sure when it's this tight the linesmen are told to keep their flags down though.

very unlucky imo, although we got lucky on a similar call away at atlanta earlier this year.
    Flag down until the play is over and then call it as best you see it is the rule now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, for the record, the snapshot...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    FWIW, for the record, the snapshot...

This snapshot seems to confirm it's too close to call

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    This snapshot seems to confirm it's too close to call
    This snapshot IMO does not prove anything... because we can't see where is the ball in this moment.
    If the ball is still "glued" to the foot of the player giving the pass, in the next fraction of second, when it is separation between the passer's foot and the ball (even if it is 1 cm), this line drawn in the image may have Insigne's foot already 5-20 cm inside that line.
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 06-26-2023 at 02:45 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Still very hard to tell. Insigne looks onside in that freeze frame..however it also looks like Mark's foot is still behind him and hasn't kicked the ball, looks like it would have to be advanced a couple frames, in which case that may put him offside. Either way, it was so close the linesman shouldn't have put the flag up and should have gone to VAR for better look at it.

Polar opposite of what happened when Priso got hurt when we played New England trying to run all the way back when it was clearly offside and the linesman should have raised his flag. League does not have any consistency with this sort of thing and both times it has come back to bite us.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched the first 30 minutes and was planning to catch the rest delayed a bit. However Apple TV / MLS Season Pass screwed up when I tried to continue with the game. (In the end I'm glad I didn't see more. The highlights were depressing enough.)

Thanks to somebody here, I found the setting to not show the scores when trying to watch the game later. However, Apple still shows you the goal highlight videos (with text), right next to where you need to click to restart the game. So it's almost impossible to watch the game on delay w/o seeing which team scored.

Also, every decent streaming service will automatically restart you watching where you left off when you take a break for a while. Not this crappy service (at least not on the web). When I came back in, it offered "watch live" or "watch from the start" like always; should have also offered "continue where you left off." Worse than that: I selected "watch from the start" and instead it went straight back to live, a few minutes before the end of the game. Even though I tried not to look, I had a pretty good idea of what the final score was. All pretty amateur.

Another thing: how do players succeed in Serie A and the Italian national team when they can't tap in a goal with their weaker foot? Berna and Insigne both tried really awkward shots with the outside of their dominant foot when they should have had easy goals. (Not the first time I've seen that.) Not only were the shots awkward: their foot is closer to the defender and much easier to block when you try things like that.