Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Unique problems Messi will face... Could in no way imagine Ronaldo doing so
    Funny you should mention that name. A few social media rumours circulating that CR7 now wants to come, is coming, to MLS by next season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Unique problems Messi will face

Refs
    Travel
    Weather
    Pitches
    Tactics
    Quality of play of his teammates
    Interviews
    Weird roster rules (he's always been on a team that could buy what it needed)

Now, I can imagine him dealing with most of that

Could in no way imagine Ronaldo doing so
    I would bet money that Messi is going full load management here. I certainly expect him to skip most longer flights, and any trip to a turf stadium.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I would bet money that Messi is going full load management here. I certainly expect him to skip most longer flights, and any trip to a turf stadium.
    Bruce Arena made a good point the other day - there's only 3 turf fields in the East - he's going to play in front of 73k in Atlanta for sure.

Now, is going to play @ NER next season where it would be 65K or Carolina - 75K (larger then Atlanta) on "Decision day"? I think so

Will he fly out to Portland? Not sure

This year, his away trips will be LAFC, Cinci, New Jersey, Chicago, Atlanta, Charlotte.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Obviously I am just guessing here, but I think his biggest single objective will be to be a decent active player in 2026, and not just be in the 26 but be a contributor to Argentina at the next World Cup.

The marketing power in the strategy of what he is trying to do requires him to still be good three years from now. This is true for MLS also, so the league has incentives not just to allow this, but to encourage it!

So I think, in pursuit of that, he will do unique things that seem “crazy”. Such as skipping Atlanta games.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inter Barcelona FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Inter Barcelona FC

As a supporter of a rival team, this 'sign all of Messis old friends' is pure upside for us, I love it. We get the financial boost from attendance when theyr'e here and, hopefully, success of the Apple TV deal but share a conference with a team that will be ill equipped to become any kind of dominant force if they sign more of these players

Love seeing this news, basically.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    As a supporter of a rival team, this 'sign all of Messis old friends' is pure upside for us, I love it. We get the financial boost from attendance when theyr'e here and, hopefully, success of the Apple TV deal but share a conference with a team that will be ill equipped to become any kind of dominant force if they sign more of these players

Same here. LA Galaxy syndrome in full effect. Keep it coming Miami.

Now if only we had someone in charge of our team that could take advantage of any new roster flexibility without tying stacks of cash to anchors to sink forever.

Or else try to get Campagna off of them for someone like Akinola or O'Neill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's Oprah Time for Miami... and you get to play for Inter-Miami, and you get to play for Inter-Miami, and you get to play for Inter-Miami! Heck even that broken down retiree, el companero Kun, is now in on this absurdist fun; enjoying the Messi moment...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    It's Oprah Time for Miami... and you get to play for Inter-Miami, and you get to play for Inter-Miami, and you get to play for Inter-Miami! Heck even that broken down retiree, el companero Kun, is now in on this absurdist fun; enjoying the Messi moment...

So he's... a TAM player?

Even before Messi gets there they have three DPs. Now they have to free up two of those spots? Or is a fourth DP imminent? I'd heard they were doing away with all of that and just going to a higher cap next year.

Interesting to see how they finesse this. Maybe he signs a six-month TAM deal then pre-signs a new deal for next year at DP level, if they know changes are coming.

I'm sure they can't wait to be rid of Pizarro's anchor contract, given his production levels, but Campana is a good striker for his age. Like, one we should poach of possible if they have to get rid of him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a rumor he will be an assistant there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    but Campana is a good striker for his age. Like, one we should poach of possible if they have to get rid of him.
    We should be all over this but I bet we're not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    There's a rumor he will be an assistant there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post

This is quite literally something Bill Manning would do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So he's... a TAM player? Even before Messi gets there they have three DPs. Now they have to free up two of those spots? Or is a fourth DP imminent? I'd heard they were doing away with all of that and just going to a higher cap next year. Interesting to see how they finesse this. Maybe he signs a six-month TAM deal then pre-signs a new deal for next year at DP level, if they know changes are coming. I'm sure they can't wait to be rid of Pizarro's anchor contract, given his production levels, but Campana is a good striker for his age. Like, one we should poach of possible if they have to get rid of him.
    I cannot see Kun playing. Maybe another role; as U&P suggests. Regardless. IMCF most likely has / wants to shed most to all of their DPs, U22s, and TAMS to facilitate the success of this initiative; a Messi template. Maybe the club takes advantage of MLS expansions to their Intraleague Loans Policy and their In-Season Player Buyout Policy? Perhaps MLS quietly introduces new MLS rules or regulations to effect this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kun retired on the advice of doctors while at Barcelona, I don't think there's even a .1% chance he signs as a player contract. I wouldn't waste time thinking about how they can fit him onto the roster - if playing again was at all a prospect, he'd have been doing whatever he could to potentially make it onto the world cup squad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Jordi Alba does end up at IMCF, then I suspect Raoul Petretta will no longer be the highest paid left back in MLS?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Obviously I am just guessing here, but I think his biggest single objective will be to be a decent active player in 2026, and not just be in the 26 but be a contributor to Argentina at the next World Cup.

The marketing power in the strategy of what he is trying to do requires him to still be good three years from now. This is true for MLS also, so the league has incentives not just to allow this, but to encourage it!

So I think, in pursuit of that, he will do unique things that seem “crazy”. Such as skipping Atlanta games.
    He said yesterday he won't play in the World Cup in 2026. But I also heard a suggestion yesterday he plans to restrict travel somewhat. He's expected to skip some road trips based on load management, which if you're one of those ticket-paying fans who want to see the 'best ever' tour is going to really be a pisser.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Messi, The GOAT! Thanks, but no thanks Sheik! I choose Inter-Miami! Bonkers! Legend...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, really, really, interesting article. Simplifies the explanations for why the deal works. Of it's potential metrics; prior templates...

(For instance, in two years, PSG supposedly made $130M on Messi Jerseys alone!!! That is after Nike's cut and Messi's!)

https://huddleup.substack.com/p/the-...m_medium=email
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 06-14-2023 at 10:43 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, really, really, interesting article. Simplifies the explanations for why the deal works. Of it's potential metrics; prior templates...

(For instance, in two years, PSG supposedly made $130M on Messi Jerseys alone!!! That is after Nike's cut and Messi's!)
    So I take it Adidas will be ignoring their sales rules for allowing MLS clubs to have 3rd jerseys in Miami's case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    So I take it Adidas will be ignoring their sales rules for allowing MLS clubs to have 3rd jerseys in Miami's case.
    Perhaps. For sure, Adidas will have to up their design game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He said yesterday he won't play in the World Cup in 2026. But I also heard a suggestion yesterday he plans to restrict travel somewhat. He's expected to skip some road trips based on load management, which if you're one of those ticket-paying fans who want to see the 'best ever' tour is going to really be a pisser.
    I am happy to wager a pint on this. He's going.

That statement is a smart but meaningless thing to do.

Messi may well drop from qualification, that I can see. But he is going in 2026 whether he wants to or not! If he is still playing. (Same for Copa America in 2024, btw)

Imagine the pressure that would be on him, the Argentine manager, everybody. Anybody who knows anything about Argentina knows that the domestic politics around this would be insane. This would be way, way bigger than football.

I also suspect he wants to, and recognizes that this is the correct way to play it.
    Last edited by ensco; 06-14-2023 at 11:45 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    Agree. Wholeheartedly. It's the smart move/play. Circumvents, avoids or shuts down the entire discussion. The one that he needs to compete, test and prepare himself at the highest level to play in Y26; so why then did he go to MLS?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am happy to wager a pint on this. He's going.

That statement is a smart but meaningless thing to do.
    Could be. But by your own admission, he's going to do a lot of walking. I mean... four more years in a league like MLS? We'll be lucky if he's not off injured half the time he's here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dominoes falling in place...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the same Argentinian radio station that broke the Messi decision to MLS...

Pal 'Chomper' seems to be 'in play' again...

Although Suarez has made statements denying the rumour, other chatter is either he is coming or it's leverage to get Gremio to ante up what they owe Suarez on his contract; supposedly behind in their payments. Otherwise they are in breach of contract which sets him free from a 70 million Euros transfer clause against a USD2.5M salary?

'Suarez may be moving to MLS At least, that's what journalist Leo Paradizo, from Radio Continental590 and ESPN in Argentina, publishes. According to the source, Luisito is about to arrange his transfer to Inter Miami, Lionel Messi's MLS club.'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You learn something new everyday. Today I learned that the same corporate group that makes the adhesive labels I use at work are working on finishing all the IMCF Adidas Jerseys in the world with The GOAT's name on it.

https://twitter.com/kaufsports/status/1670525346435743757

https://twitter.com/XavierLSuarez1/status/1670427494011355136

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 06-19-2023 at 09:19 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.theguardian.com/football...but-on-21-july

Debut july 21 against Cruz Azul in the League's Cup, according to the Miami owner.

Weird, because I'd bet it'll be the all-star game two days earlier(!!!? This fucking league, scheduling the all-star game TWO DAYS before cup games.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.theguardian.com/football...but-on-21-july

Debut july 21 against Cruz Azul in the League's Cup, according to the Miami owner.

Weird, because I'd bet it'll be the all-star game two days earlier(!!!? This fucking league, scheduling the all-star game TWO DAYS before cup games.)
    ...of a manufactured cup that THEY created

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    ...of a manufactured cup that THEY created
    It's fucking embarrassing how incompetent they are sometimes.