Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    You are correct. Campana is a young DP. That's even more a problem, as they can't have all three DPs above the TAM cap or they lose the U22 spot.

So they'll have to buy out either Pizarro or Josef Martinez.
    Rumor is they will buy out Pizarro but Campagna also on the way out because they (Messi) want 3 DPs above the TAM threshold. If I were TFC I would look at a deal for Campagna somehow. Then dump Akinola.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm looking slightly ahead to next year - there is no way that they're not going to throw the other owners a bone after making everyone contribute to the Messi fund in terms of competitiveness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's going to be interesting to see how Messi feels about playing in some of the shit stadiums of the MLS... Both NY sites come to mind and the crap turf in Vancouver, Houston in July, etc..

My guess is that those games will be "Load management"

On the other hand...if they force those stadiums to upgrade in order to not embarrass the league on a global scale, I'm totally on board with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will be interesting what happens in Miami with regards to the stadium too. DoDo they continue in their temp stadium or do they move some games to Hard Rock stadium for increased capacity?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benito View Post
    It will be interesting what happens in Miami with regards to the stadium too. DoDo they continue in their temp stadium or do they move some games to Hard Rock stadium for increased capacity?
    IIUC, rumours are The HRS solution is on the table, being discussed and considered; likely.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 06-09-2023 at 02:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I don’t disagree withh all of that but the principle is what’s wrong. When MLS changed all the rules for Beckham they brought in the DP rule to at least give teams in theory equal ability to bring it that kind of player. Are we going to move to one league sponsored and paid for player per team now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Yeah what's next....having a team where the father is the coach and the son is the captain? But seriously....I agree with you. League sponsors providing funding for one team's DP is crap.
    I understand the sponsorship concern. It's a grey area, fraught with conflicts of interests. However, for myself, there is a difference, unique sets of concerns, between a league sponsorship and league sponsors providing more funding to one clubs DP over another; as a separate but favouring initiative; marketing deal. IIUC, in the latter instance, I suspect Nike is similarly involved in the NFL, MLB and NBA. I believe that Messi already is/was sponsorship engaged by Adidas. The league/all other clubs sponsorship nee contribution is troubling. However, maybe those contributions are not what we speculate-direct or as overwhelming as presumed; For instance, perhaps instead of any jersey profit pooling, I-Miami/Messi gets a greater slice/additional points on those/their sales.

By most accounts any deal is 'complicated'. Possibly as much as $150M over the contract, supposedly 2 1/2 years with option for 2026? Again, by most accounts, his earnings involve salary, bonuses/marketing components and equity. It has also been widely reported Adidas and Apple were offering profit sharing in their initiatives of merchandising and/or subscriptions.

I do think it is still early days; the fine details being unknown. For myself, even $150M for 2 1/2 years seems conservative; $60M a year? By my own rough cost thoughts gamed out it's easy @ $134M/YR...

1/ IMCF/MLS 'Official' (laugh track here) Salary, league highest token award @ $10M/YR Guar/Comp.
    2/ Equity @ 35% or $200M on a now nonsense $600M valuation = $66M/YR.
    2/ Apple MLSSP profit sharing with ads. A MJorden 5% on $80 Sub/Yr on a global 1% of 450M Insta conversion is 4.5M subscribers by $4 = $18M/YR.
    3/ A Beckham like Adidas/IMCF merchandise deal... jerseys like at MLS Store, at club/stadium and et al. @ conservatively $10M/YR.
    5/ Best in sector, all media campaigns/commercial ads for a credit card/bank, car, fast food establishment, soft drink, etc, saturation contolled 10 spots a year @ conservatively $2.5M/PER/YR = $25M/YR.
    6/ MLS/FIFA League/WC media campaigns @ $5M/YR.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woolly View Post
    It's going to be interesting to see how Messi feels about playing in some of the shit stadiums of the MLS... Both NY sites come to mind and the crap turf in Vancouver, Houston in July, etc..

My guess is that those games will be "Load management"

On the other hand...if they force those stadiums to upgrade in order to not embarrass the league on a global scale, I'm totally on board with that.
    Not sure where you are getting your facts from, but Red Bull Arena is probably one of the best SSS in America.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Not sure where you are getting your facts from, but Red Bull Arena is probably one of the best SSS in America.
    NYFC has used two temporary homes, may be referring to that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. The Extratime guys are kind of nervous about this being a headfake. Messi saying he intends to sign in Miami is not the same thing as signing in Miami.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Until the MLS contract is signed by Messi, not even an agreement with the agent, his father, matters in the end. And till then, the 'hijack' is always in play...

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick...tit-gascoigne/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has Don Garber confirmed?

It would be an extremely bad look on all parties involved if this fell through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AFAIK, no Don Garber/MLS official 'it's done' confirmation. Just this...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Until the MLS contract is signed by Messi, not even an agreement with the agent, his father, matters in the end. And till then, the 'hijack' is always in play...

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick...tit-gascoigne/
    Money is not the issue here so it would take something extremely stupid for him to got to KSA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly, that is the point. Bankruptlona may still find a way!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly, that is the point. Bankruptlona may still find a way!
    Nah. I dont think Barcelona actually wants him back, at least not anyone below the board level, I think they are trying to appease fans by trying to sign him.

Xavi is more than fine working with his young players than trying to change his system by accommodating an aging Messi.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    NYFC has used two temporary homes, may be referring to that.
    Sorry, I was thinking of Gilette stadium, not RB Stsdium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Nah. I dont think Barcelona actually wants him back, at least not anyone below the board level, I think they are trying to appease fans by trying to sign him. Xavi is more than fine working with his young players than trying to change his system by accommodating an aging Messi.
    Fair. The 'just going through the motions' is one of the reasonable narratives. However, if they were trying to appease the Cules, than why diss Messi with that goodbye-so long-farwell parting statement? Another approach seemed warranted. I think Barca-the business needed Messi at this moment more than most think. Mal tempum adventum/bad times coming. He would be the transitional (father) figure (head) of calm in their sea of financial turmoils and any pending upcoming SuperLeague decisions or fall-out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone know through the "league cup" if we would possibly be able to play Miami.
    The cost of these tickets are quite high, and I would have 100% opted out. But now with Messi in Miami. Just curious to know if it could be a possibility.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1986 View Post
    Anyone know through the "league cup" if we would possibly be able to play Miami.
    The cost of these tickets are quite high, and I would have 100% opted out. But now with Messi in Miami. Just curious to know if it could be a possibility.
    Unlikely, see link: https://www.leaguescup.com/news/2023...t-announcement

On the knockout, we have to get through the other east group winners before we would face the winner of all the south group winners.

Getting through Group stage and three knockout rounds is a big ask for these Toronto and Miami teams.
    Last edited by wopchop; 06-11-2023 at 07:55 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That and we are the second lowest ranked team - we only could have a home game if somehow we met DCU.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BA... 'Messi is good for the league'...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neymar Jr. may be being targeted by the KSA/Al-Hilal, but where does he happen to be? In Miami, at the Miami Heat game!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neymar Jr. may be being targeted by the KSA/Al-Hilal, but where does he happen to be? In Miami, at the Miami Heat game!
    There is a large Brazilian community in Miami.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luanda View Post
    There is a large Brazilian community in Miami.
    Pompano Beach baby! Boat Drinks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vini Jr and Pogba were also there. Shakira too (she is apparently dating Jimmy Butler, so a special case).

International hipsters dig the NBA Finals, when it's in a place like Miami.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even Vini Jr. 'knows the score'...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If/when he does sign, and if/when Tata signs on as coach what are the odds Messi's allowed to provide some influence on coaching/assistant manager decisions?

Think we see Aguero take the opportunity to get back around the pitch and football again and be an assistant mgr/coach under Tata? His buddy and family in town now with him in Miami - perfect opportunity to be around the field and dip toes into coaching. Unless he loves his twitch streamer/memer gig now too much to commit to that type of thing lol. Might be worth a punt tho even as a way for him to be around their younger forwards/strikers, or potential other Argentinian youth transfers lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you think Miami took the approach of stressing all the unique challenges of MLS when trying to lure him there? The more I read about this the more I can see this souring really quickly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Do you think Miami took the approach of stressing all the unique challenges of MLS when trying to lure him there? The more I read about this the more I can see this souring really quickly.

Naw, cause it's Magic City baby...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unique problems Messi will face

Refs
    Travel
    Weather
    Pitches
    Tactics
    Quality of play of his teammates
    Interviews
    Weird roster rules (he's always been on a team that could buy what it needed)

Now, I can imagine him dealing with most of that

Could in no way imagine Ronaldo doing so