Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes BMO isn;t the greatest anymore, but they paved the way for many new teams to have proper grass/soccer specific stadium..

unfortunately, BMO field being owned by city of toronto, any changes or upgrades takes forever to be approved, like anything at the city.

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    In terms of fake turf it’s really only the NFL stadiums with MLS teams that have them with I think Portland being the only exception, but all the soccer specific stadiums have natural grass, moreover all of the new MLS stadiums have natural grass . Furthermore, how many artificial grass stadiums does the MLS have ? A very small percentage compared to the number of teams . Let’s give the MLS some credit here I know it’s hard for most people on here to do that but there have been a lot of nice new grass only stadiums built since the MLS came to existence unfortunately our BMO field is definitely not one of them , but at least it has grass .
    Road Games:
    2013, 2014, 2015 - Montreal; 2016 - Montreal (Leg 1 Conference Final); 2017 - NYRB (Leg 1 Eastern Semi), Columbus (Leg 1 Eastern Finals); 2019 - Seattle (MLS Finals)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this is hilarious that Leagues cup will have fake Messi eyeballs on it with very little interest in the brand new cash tourney.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BendItLikeGio View Post
    Yes BMO isn;t the greatest anymore, but they paved the way for many new teams to have proper grass/soccer specific stadium..

unfortunately, BMO field being owned by city of toronto, any changes or upgrades takes forever to be approved, like anything at the city.
    I don't think MLSE is just sitting around with buckets of money to throw at BMO Field just waiting for City approvals to come through.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I don't think MLSE is just sitting around with buckets of money to throw at BMO Field just waiting for City approvals to come through.
    Kinda the opposite actually

https://secure.toronto.ca/council/ag...em=2023.EX6.25

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some Twitter chatter of Iniesta signing with Inter Miami. I pray that it doesn’t happen. I just finished washing my mind of MLS Pirlo, am I going to have to do it to another one of my favourite players?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Some Twitter chatter of Iniesta signing with Inter Miami. I pray that it doesn’t happen. I just finished washing my mind of MLS Pirlo, am I going to have to do it to another one of my favourite players?
    Yeah, man, I know what you’re saying. It’s one of those sort of desperate MLS things that befall us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Yeah, man, I know what you’re saying. It’s one of those sort of desperate MLS things that befall us.
    This one is great he’s actually coming out of retirement to join Messi.

He’s 40 next year surely this is not as a player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CorrwgBach View Post
    This one is great he’s actually coming out of retirement to join Messi.

He’s 40 next year surely this is not as a player.
    I’m not clear on what this is. He was still playing in Japan this year. The below article paints an interesting picture:

https://amp.theguardian.com/football...an-vissel-kobe

Between this and Busquets quote recently (“I have only been here three days but it is another culture. It is more spectacle in that it does not depend so much on whether you win or lose") I am sort of hoping this whole Inter Miami thing face-plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m not clear on what this is. He was still playing in Japan this year. The below article paints an interesting picture:

https://amp.theguardian.com/football...an-vissel-kobe

Between this and Busquets quote recently (“I have only been here three days but it is another culture. It is more spectacle in that it does not depend so much on whether you win or lose") I am sort of hoping this whole Inter Miami thing face-plants.
    Yeah, "it's not that important" is a really bad look. Messi said the same thing last week and the overseas press treated it like a buffet.

The complete absence of any sentimentality in American corporate culture really doesn't fit well with football.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Miami going to LAFC is going to be a bit of a shock for those oldsters in 2023 but they have no idea what they have bought into Feb through Nov of next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Miami going to LAFC is going to be a bit of a shock for those oldsters in 2023 but they have no idea what they have bought into Feb through Nov of next year.
    American commentators fellating everyone from Kim Kardassian to LeBron and Ryan Seacrest.

No discussion of football so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS... 'The Moment'... BM/AM...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    MLS... 'The Moment'... BM/AM...

I hate to say it and I know its only 30 min. But Messi / Busquets look damn good. Messi and Martinez connection looks really good.

That said, Inter Miami defensively looks awful. Cruz Azul should have 3-4 goals easy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    I hate to say it and I know it’s only 30 min. But Messi / Busquets look damn good. Messi and Martinez connection looks really good.
    Yep, their space awareness is just next level. It’s pretty crazy to watch. It’s like split second and all of sudden Busquets just pings Messi wide open some how.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the storybook finish for Messi. Wow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW!!!!!! Just an absolute stunner on a free kick by Messi to win it @ the death for Inter Miami!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL...just saw the FK taken but that is a moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, their space awareness is just next level. It’s pretty crazy to watch. It’s like split second and all of sudden Busquets just pings Messi wide open some how.
    This crazy experiment might just work for a year or so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is probably the biggest MLS moment of all times. Everyone from LA to Tokyo will see that Messi free kick by noon tomorrow. A lot will say "so what? He scored against a nobody Mexican team" when Cruz Azul is one of the biggest teams on the continent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    That is probably the biggest MLS moment of all times. Everyone from LA to Tokyo will see that Messi free kick by noon tomorrow. A lot will say "so what? He scored against a nobody Mexican team" when Cruz Azul is one of the biggest teams on the continent.
    The ref probably could have blown for time on the foul. And in most games he would have. Fully understand why he did not.

If Clive Thomas was reffing he would have blown time as soon as Messi hit it. Apologies for the old old reference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Storybook ending.

Messi was very good. Busquets had a few amazing moments; but I'll tell you what... their goalie, Drake Calendar, had to stand on his head a few times to get them there.

Part of the reason Cruz Azul were so dangerous late in the game was that Busquets has zero mobility defensively. So they could leave one midfielder deep in the pocket in front of him as a constant outlet, maintaining deep pressure.

THey'll win some amazing finishes and Messi looks super dangerous still. But I think they'll have some trouble defending with three players on the field -- Martinez, Messi and Busquets -- who essentially don't defend.

Damn dangerous going forward, though. Damn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Former Red Carlos Salcedo doing his part in the storybook ending

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Half fit and Messi was by far the best player on the pitch when he came on, such a joy to watch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    This crazy experiment might just work for a year or so.
    Yep. My takeaway too. They’ll have to play vintage Barcelona / Spain way of keeping the ball as much as possible. Defending won’t be their thing.

But they’ll start to punch holes in teams that don’t press considerately and the league will need to adjust tactically.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope our DPs saw that and try a little harder next game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone ever seen a goal celebration quite like that? Did he do a lap? LOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Yep, Cruz Azul are nobodies on the World stage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

THey'll win some amazing finishes and Messi looks super dangerous still. But I think they'll have some trouble defending with three players on the field -- Martinez, Messi and Busquets -- who essentially don't defend.

Damn dangerous going forward, though. Damn.
    My main takeaway was I don't think they can add any more old guys on the pitch at the same time. Way too easy for Cruz Azul to have so much possession st the end. Should have easily scored more goals. But damn, those Messi passes and through balls were magic.

Will be curious to see if Messi adjusts. When Insigne came he was like Messi, didn't really press or track back. Now he does all that lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m not impressed, I mean even Mista scored against Cruz Azul