Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Not sure if this is the right place to discuss: in the end it didn't matter as Atlanta got lots of goals. But I think that game showed how embarrassing it is that MLS doesn't have goal line technology. Far worse than that, they don't necessarily have any cameras directly in line with the goal line. That's a cheap fix and their absence is utterly inexcusable.
    Yeah, although it looked in to me, and the guy who called it was right on the goalline, parallel. But it shouldn't be a crapshoot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at the points and the games in hand, it's basically up to DC to stop Miami making it.

Chicago is in freefall, NYFC has played two more games, and Charlotte -- which has the widest actual advantage at the same 27 games played but four points up -- finishes the season with back-to-back games against Miami.

DC has played two more games but is seven up, a minimum one-point edge.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    the people who thought travel and fixture congestion would eventually end this experiment were correct.

a team based on 3 35-37 year olds in MLS has severe limitations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inter Miami has come crashing down since that injury

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    Inter Miami has come crashing down since that injury
    Imagine a team putting all their trust in success on a single player, I'm so glad that Toronto... oh wait...
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Imagine a team putting all their trust in success on a single player, I'm so glad that Toronto... oh wait...
    Nice… well played

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

busquets loses the ball and cincinnati scores and thats the end of miamis slim playoff hopes...what a joke constantly playing him 90 minutes when he doesnt have the legs and makes huge giveaways...messi sent in at 55' and not able to get it done this time...alba injured...and they wanna bring more old players in 2024 such as suarez and iniesta and do what?? lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir. View Post
    busquets loses the ball and cincinnati scores and thats the end of miamis slim playoff hopes...what a joke constantly playing him 90 minutes when he doesnt have the legs and makes huge giveaways...messi sent in at 55' and not able to get it done this time...alba injured...and they wanna bring more old players in 2024 such as suarez and iniesta and do what?? lol
    If they make their starting lineup even older and learn nothing from our folly, they deserve to get crushed.

They played a real defense tonight, guys closing constantly, never giving their opponent a moment. And they looked old.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inter Miami did what TFC did last year basically wasted most of the season waiting for their three former Barcelona players to arrive and stinking out the joint until they arrived . TFC waited and threw the season away last season waiting for the Italians but by the time they arrived TFC was up against it in terms of gaining ground on the teams ahead of them and it proved to hard a battle to catch up. Moreover, I think Miami was even further back than TFC was last year when Messi and company arrived but almost caught up , but at least they won a trophy in what turned out to be a very exciting tournament much to everyone’s surprise. TFC on the other hand finished last season in terrible fashion which continued into the start of this season and continued the rest of the season . I think Miami will be ok next year they just basically ran out of time and games to make the playoffs this year .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did Sanabria just spit in the direction/on Messi? That angle or arc sure looks so. Judge for yourself...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Miami is doubling its season ticket prices. Its cheapest seats, at $867 US, are already higher than most premier league clubs, and will go to nearly $2,000, while its most expensive field seats will go to $13,600.

That's not for a box. That's $13,600 for a seat. I mean, it's near the field, but still. Fucking ridiculous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Miami is doubling its season ticket prices. Its cheapest seats, at $867 US, are already higher than most premier league clubs, and will go to nearly $2,000, while its most expensive field seats will go to $13,600.

That's not for a box. That's $13,600 for a seat. I mean, it's near the field, but still. Fucking ridiculous.
    There's cashing in then there's CASHING IN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    There's cashing in then there's CASHING IN.
    How do they plan on topping this when he retires after two years? Or is 2026 the year of the massive price reduction?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do they plan on topping this when he retires after two years? Or is 2026 the year of the massive price reduction?
    Yeah that's the problem. They'll have to drop the price a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Note that Miami is ranked 5th in the World of places where the highest percentage of Ultra-High Net Worth (>$30 million) individuals live, just behind New York, London, Hong Kong, and Los Angeles. I'm sure that they would think nothing of dropping that much to have a field-eye view of watching the GOAT. That's only a small percentage of the tickets anyways. How do they compare to the cost of those season seats to the Miami Heat or Florida Panthers or Miami Dolphins?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Note that Miami is ranked 5th in the World of places where the highest percentage of Ultra-High Net Worth (>$30 million) individuals live, just behind New York, London, Hong Kong, and Los Angeles. I'm sure that they would think nothing of dropping that much to have a field-eye view of watching the GOAT. That's only a small percentage of the tickets anyways. How do they compare to the cost of those season seats to the Miami Heat or Florida Panthers or Miami Dolphins?
    Yeah, I'm not necessarily suggesting they won't get it. But they will have to drop prices later, and maybe people who got pushed out in this round remember that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ultra wealthy are a micro market. You can’t fill a stadium with them each week.

Sports in Miami are a mixed bag. Like Toronto fans can be an bit fickle. The prices for the Heat are similar to the raptors if you believe some of the rankings. Which is to say top half of the league but not top 5. Panthers are really off the public radar for the most part. Dolphins terrible for a long time but this year have started well.

They’d really need to execute to hold on to these prices post Messi and replace him with another star with similar cache. I think the goal here is short term. Milk the masses for money, give Jorge Mas a good show piece to further connect him to the Lat AM business community.

They’ll scale down in a few years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What're the price of resale tickets for those seats? I suspect still very high?

If so they won't struggle to sell them at all. I don't love it at all, but I get it, and if you price your seasons that far below market value you'll end up with a stadium full of scalpers. That's a better outcome as a fan than being priced out, but it does bring its own issues

I don't think what they do three years from now would change what they do now, from a pure business perspective (And again, I don't love it and wouldn't be happy if they did it here) dropping tickets back to where they are now after two years of high sales is obviously better than just keeping them low and besides, who knows what the situation is 3 years from now in terms of DPs or the perception of how hot a ticket Miami is

We'll see if they sell them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/23/b...e=articleShare

Inter Miami jersey is the best-selling sports shirt on the planet, apparently. Strewth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The oldest team on Earth/turf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post

His fans pointed out to me on another forum that he had 10 goals in 26 games. But he played a whopping 2300 minutes to get that, almost every minute of every game he started in, at age 36, with bad knees.

So he's a 1-in-3 scorer on a good team in the Brazilian league this year, which is respectable, but not world class anymore.

I will be interested to see how much they spot him off for Campana, because there's no way with his knee injury history and MLS' mix of bad scheduling and long travel that he does those kind of minutes in this league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post

Someone should warn Chiellini to get a pair of shoulder pads

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watching Miami-NYFC friendly in the 69 minute and Messi has missed four point-blank chances and three or four more that were tougher. NYFC making it hard on him all night.

This is his Ballon D'Or testimonial, too (and NYFC was cheated out of a first-half penalty by a bad call).

Is this six games in a row for Miami without him scoring? Something like that.

Next year might not be the walk to the playoffs some people seem to think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Failed to score for Argentina last night for the first time in a game since the World Cup game against Poland. With his MLS run at six games, that's seven in a row without a goal.

Maybe he's hitting the age wall. If that's the case, it'll be a difficult year for MLS next season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe he's hitting the age wall. If that's the case, it'll be a difficult year for MLS next season.
    This could besaid about that whole team. Next season is going to but fun watching Miami go bust.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you're reading a whole lot into a whole little, he's at the end of a exhaustive period of constant football (World cup and transition into a summer reason, that's alot of football), from a player who nearly carried the worst team in the league at the time to a play off spot and winning leagues cup

Alot of people have lost alot of money writing off Messi. I still remember the "Can't score against English teams" based on a sample of like 5 games, and then he scored 4 in one match. And of course the "Doesn't do it for Argentina" crew.

I do think the schedule will be grueling, and he'll need to be rested to maintain effectiveness, and surroundign him with old players is the opposite of a good strategy. But Messi will absolutely rip teams to shreds next season far more often than not
    Last edited by JoesphNdo; 11-17-2023 at 10:13 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    I think you're reading a whole lot into a whole littlet
    He's going to be 37 years old. The performances will drop. Age conquers all, and this league, while lacking tactically, has an abundance of speed.

Of the three, only Alba still looked up to the pace in their last half-dozen games. Busquets, his supplier, looked particularly poor. In their last game, the exhibition against NYFC, Messi missed four point-blank chances, something he basically has never done in his career.

Yeah, long year, sure. But he's 36. I suspect ignoring that is going to bite them in the ass badly.

He may rip a few teams apart, but I bet it will be punctuated by long road trips in which he doesn't play much, and a second half of the season that is a lot less productive than the first.

Either way, he's not going to carry them to the title MLS pundits keep projecting. Twellman and the Apple TV crew have already declared them "Favourites" to win the cup next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't he supposed to not be good this year, too? There was alot of talk about that on here

I think he'll be tired, age will catch up etc, but judging him on a small sample of games that ignores all the previous games he dominated the league in, at the end of an 18 month season in a stretch of games he wouldn't care about at all (Which includes friendlies), isn't how I'd draw any conclusions

I agree though they aren't my favourites for the cup and he'll need to be rested in order to get the best from him
    Last edited by JoesphNdo; 11-17-2023 at 11:28 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I tend to agree. Hard to know if he’s tired or declining. We shall see.

I’m not writing him off yet. Technically, with the experience of that team, they should be able to adapt faster than MLS teams can adjust.