Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I wonder if the air quality advisory is still ongoing by Saturday if that will affect the game. I wouldn't want to be outside breathing heavy right now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    So I wonder if the air quality advisory is still ongoing by Saturday if that will affect the game. I wouldn't want to be outside breathing heavy right now.
    God this is like covid - have to parse through the news stuff to find people who were monitoring stuff like this forever

https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/

Doesn't go to Saturday yet...worst is tomorrow morning.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    God this is like covid - have to parse through the news stuff to find people who were monitoring stuff like this forever

https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/

Doesn't go to Saturday yet...worst is tomorrow morning.
    Thanks for that. I have asthma which makes this all the more fun. Unless cleared I will have to likely pass on the game on the weekend....if they have it still that is.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for that. I have asthma which makes this all the more fun. Unless cleared I will have to likely pass on the game on the weekend....if they have it still that is.
    Yeah I wonder if they would cancel it? I don't have asthma but I use my bike to commute and my throat is dead and I am coughing when I get here. I can't imagine running for 90 minutes and breathing it in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw a study that for every eight hours spent in ‘hazardous’ level pm2 particulate, your risk of lung cancer goes up 6%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS is terrified Canada is on fire….

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you had to use your puffers a lot, my partner has asthma and is relying on them at the moment.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    Have you had to use your puffers a lot, my partner has asthma and is relying on them at the moment.
    To be honest I have stayed indoors in my house. Luckily I work from home. That first morning it was bad I was outside for a few minutes and could already feel the issue starting so I went back inside. I wore a mask the one time I had to go somewhere. That was it. So puffer has not been used. I am in avoidance mode.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Yeah I wonder if they would cancel it? I don't have asthma but I use my bike to commute and my throat is dead and I am coughing when I get here. I can't imagine running for 90 minutes and breathing it in.
    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I saw a study that for every eight hours spent in ‘hazardous’ level pm2 particulate, your risk of lung cancer goes up 6%.
    To be honest I have stayed indoors in my house. Luckily I work from home. That first morning it was bad I was outside for a few minutes and could already feel the issue starting so I went back inside. I wore a mask the one time I had to go somewhere. That was it. So puffer has not been used. I am in avoidance mode.
    Try wearing an N95 mask outdoors. If they fit well, they block particles incl. pm2.5 very well. I used to have asthma, but it's almost completely gone as I've it gotten under control over many years. Last year we had 3 cats living with us: in the past a single cat would have had me needing both puffers immediately, but this time nothing. I biked to & from work with my 3M mask yesterday and had zero problems. Still don't overexert yourself, because the masks don't block the gasses that are part of wildfire smoke. But a leisurely bike ride, or watching a game of footy should be fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Try wearing an N95 mask outdoors. If they fit well, they block particles incl. pm2.5 very well. I used to have asthma, but it's almost completely gone as I've it gotten under control over many years. Last year we had 3 cats living with us: in the past a single cat would have had me needing both puffers immediately, but this time nothing. I biked to & from work with my 3M mask yesterday and had zero problems. Still don't overexert yourself, because the masks don't block the gasses that are part of wildfire smoke. But a leisurely bike ride, or watching a game of footy should be fine.
    I use an N-99 and in addition to all of the above I haven’t had covid, the flu or even a cold in the last 4 years. Very effective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Other games that could be affected too on the weekend are in New England (Boston), Montreal, and possibly Chicago.

Also, 2 games in MLB (in NY & Philadelphia) have been postponed till tomorrow.

Plus Jays are playing tonight too - though they have the advantage of having the roof closed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are we at or near “hazardous” levels? Based on the stuff I am seeing on twitter, we are slightly above Dubai for the last days, and I think have many many days (ie 100+ a year) like this… and it's not like lung cancer rates there anything near what your number would imply

“What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is awesome, so glad for you, asthma is tough. Do you do breathing exercises? My partner’s asthma was almost non existent for 6-7 years but she got covid and now it is as bad as it ever was.

P.s. Sorry for going off topic

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    I use an N-99 and in addition to all of the above I haven’t had covid, the flu or even a cold in the last 4 years. Very effective.
    Congrats! Same for my wife and I. I've had 4 sick days since March 1st 2020: either bad takeout food, or bad sleep messing up my stomach (and I definitely book off if I'm sick, or might be sick). I actually haven't had the flu in 20 years, because I got the flu shot every year since then. One of the reasons I no longer get asthma, as it used to always flare up after I got the flu.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is awesome, so glad for you, asthma is tough. Do you do breathing exercises? My partner’s asthma was almost non existent for 6-7 years but she got covid and now it is as bad as it ever was.

P.s. Sorry for going off topic
    Yeah it's a big topic! Sorry to hear about your partner -- unfortunately that's very common. And it's a major reason I've resisted getting COVID so far, because I know what it feels like when you can't breath. Also based on warnings from my dermatologist, with so many people getting (or re-awakening) skin conditions after Covid. I don't want to risk immune dysregulation. RE asthma: no breathing exercises, just general fitness but I don't know if that did much. I suspect the biggest things were getting the flu shot every year for 20 years (I used to often get asthma after the flu); and the coal plants getting shut down in Ontario in 2014, and hardly any smog days since then. Plus a couple of smaller factors.

More on topic: the air seems MUCH better tonight. Maybe the forecasts were wrong, and the crap will clear out sooner? Much harder to protect the players on the field from bad air!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Are we at or near “hazardous” levels? Based on the stuff I am seeing on twitter, we are slightly above Dubai for the last days, and I think have many many days (ie 100+ a year) like this… and it's not like lung cancer rates there anything near what your number would imply

That study was recent and based on longitudinal studies of exposure to pm2.5, which is microscopic smoke particulate, ash that gets through most filters. The overall score for a city like Delhi is based on more than one source. Having said that, a lot of people wear masks all the time in Delhi and a lot of Asian cities for precisely this reason.

In Bangladesh, 25% % of the male population, based on a five-year average, will get either lung or oral cancer in their lifetime. (13.1% lung, 11.9% oral/bronchial)

In Canada, it's 12.5%. (7% lung/5.5% oral/bronchial).

Admittedly, they do say the largest part of the difference is decreased smoking rates here versus most of Asia.

Lung cancer is the number one cancer diagnosed in both Bangladesh and India. In Canada, it's breast cancer.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jloome we might have to start a new thread, because we're probably only a few microns away from a paddling by Oldtimer.

HEPA air purifiers (for in your home) can significantly reduce PM 2.5 concentrations, on average by about 50%, but there's a huge variance between different devices in real-life use. Plus the capacity of the device really matters, relative to the size of your home (ACH = air changes per hour), and how much pollution is getting in from outside. In a few days I should be getting a VINDSTYRKA air quality sensor from Ikea, which measures PM 2.5. Then I'll see how well our four commercial HEPA air purifiers, and our newest PC-fan based Corsi-Rosenthal box work against the crap currently being served up in Toronto's air. But the gasses from the wildfires are also dangerous (VOCs and more), and HEPA does nothing against them. (Our commercial air purifiers also have active charcoal filters which do help against things like VOCs.)

Reference: Efficacy of HEPA Air Cleaner on Improving Indoor Particulate Matter 2.5 Concentration - PubMed (nih.gov)

RE N95 masks: they filter PM 2.5 particles very well in theory, but in this case the fit of the mask makes a huge difference. Air that leaks in around the edges will be unfiltered and will reduce the real-life efficacy. I'm just purchasing the materials to do a proper fit test on our masks to be sure. But I can tell you one thing: with my best masks, I can barely smell the current smoke.

Reference: "N95 respirators offer protection against wildfire PM2.5, reducing exposure by more than a factor of 14 and hospitalizations by 22%–39%"
    from: Quantifying the Health Benefits of Face Masks and Respirators to Mitigate Exposure to Severe Air Pollution - PMC (nih.gov)

The other caveat: N95 (& N99 & KN95 & KF94 & FFP-whatever) masks also do nothing against the gasses and VOCs in wildfire pollution. For that, you would need something like these respirators from 3M, with the right cartridges attached. Let's buy 22 of these for the boys on Saturday! 3M Half Mask Respirators | 3M United States

I just heard that the worst air pollution is expected for Thursday morning, so this afternoon was only a temporary reprieve. I really wonder what they'll do about Saturday if it doesn't get better. Is the Rogers Centre available, with the roof closed?

PS if you're concerned about lung cancer, then test the radon in your home! The leading cause of lung cancer for non-smokers; and for smokers it really increases their risk. We just found out that the radon in our house is pretty bad...
    Last edited by Auzzy; 06-07-2023 at 11:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder what he'll do with Oso. Hoping he starts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder what he'll do with Oso. Hoping he starts.
    Is Oso back for sure?

I hope we see the best of him here soon… that seems to be happening with Canada and maybe soon again in Nations League too. At least we’re not likely to have him as a winger… but comon, use the guy properly. I think we really need that to happen.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When Bradley was out, the Osorio / Delgado combo did great. I'm interested to see how Oso does with someone like Servania. I'm afraid that the Oso / MAK combo is a bit slow, so the team positioning & the third midfielder will make a huge difference.

Anyone know how much longer until Coello is back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When Bradley was out, the Osorio / Delgado combo did great. I'm interested to see how Oso does with someone like Servania. I'm afraid that the Oso / MAK combo is a bit slow, so the team positioning & the third midfielder will make a huge difference.

If it was his ankle MCL then it's 3 months, easy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW Coello & Bradley are both doing outdoor land training now - Oso did 3 weeks of that before this week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oso not listed in the injury report. Good news.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oso always recovers in time for the CMNT - not sure why they picked a player who has not played in weeks?
    Loyal - Win, lose or draw!

Weston, Ontario

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pshaw. Here in Ottawa, we were the worst in the World on Tuesday!
    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loyal View Post
    Oso always recovers in time for the CMNT - not sure why they picked a player who has not played in weeks?
    He goes into beast mode against CONCACAF opponents.
    I can't see him playing much if at all. Maybe late game sub against Panama, but guess we'll see.

Hopefully he doesn't get broken again this weekend. Hope he's a late game match and doesn't start. Last thing the team needs is to lose him again for another 2 months.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Officials

Toronto FC vs Nashville
    BMO Field (7:30PM ET)
    REF: Jon Freemon
    AR1: Chris Wattam
    AR2: Meghan Mullen
    4TH: Mathieu Souaré
    VAR: Younes Marrakchi
    AVAR: Jonathan Johnson

(Newish guy who came up through VAR)

&

You lot at home got Twellman....in town. Not sure that has happened since 2017.

I suspect he is going to go off on Toronto at some point - "But its Bob Bradley" will be a bingo space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will Matt Hedges start; he is questionable?
    Supposedly, Molinaro was the only media at TFC's presser yesterday?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post

Will Matt Hedges start; he is questionable?
    Supposedly, Molinaro was the only media at TFC's presser yesterday?
    Anything remotely interesting from the presser?