Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How is the idea that “making the playoffs” is somehow OK? Who seriously thinks we could do anything in the playoffs?

We would need to win away at Philly and Cincinnati, or similar… just to get to the conference final. We would get SMOKED in the playoffs.

The problem is that we are not a good team. “Making the playoffs” won’t fix that.

In fact, unless you want 3 more years of watching the Bob version of TFC, you don’t want this at all.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CorrwgBach View Post
    Not sure if folks have been keeping up with playoff changes, but its been tweaked for this year. again

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/mls-a...or-2023-season

If we were to get to 8th and Miami were 9th then we have a home game. That's probably not going to happen mostly us getting to 8th.

Anyway 8 v 9 is wild card single elimination game, followed by 1 round of a best of 3 series top vs 8 or 9. In that case there would be at least one home match again.

Then its back to single elimination for the conference semi-finals on.

Anyway grimly its not hard to see an heroic failure in the best of 3 being enough for us to just do this all again next year. Urgh!
    I genuinely hate everything about this

But the absurd system of nearly 2/3s of the teams making the play offs continue to make this season not a write off for us. I just wish we could either 1) start winning some fucking games and looking like a team that can do something or one that comes close to justifying its price tag or 2) lose enough to clear out the rot so we can regroup and push under new management

We are really, really unlikely to be out of play off contention until the very end even if we are one of the worst teams in MLS. And making a play off that 2/3s of teams make is not any kind of achievement. I absolutely expect us to make it there, it's table stakes, and it means nothing. We need to make it there as a team that looks like it can go deep and compete with anyone, and event that is really the absolute bare minimum return on our spend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I’ll stand by my earlier statement: they are idiots for signing only Romero as a quality backup knowing what could have unfolded this international window.
    I don’t like the idea of not having a GM and instead a combined coach/sporting director. Especially if it’s a new role for the coach who becomes sporting director. It’s too much responsibly for one person.

And that doesn’t really work for firings and quick turnover. It’s fine to say we don’t need a GM or sporting director for a time but i’m not sure that will function well as a regular way of working. So we’ve got to choose only from guys that are going to take both roles (that, I think would alone rule out Tata here) or who will agree to work without a GM/sporting director. If someone agrees to that 2nd option, you have to question their competency.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    How is the idea that “making the playoffs” is somehow OK? Who seriously thinks we could do anything in the playoffs?

We would need to win away at Philly and Cincinnati, or similar… just to get to the conference final. We would get SMOKED in the playoffs.

The problem is that we are not a good team. “Making the playoffs” won’t fix that.

In fact, unless you want 3 more years of watching the Bob version of TFC, you don’t want this at all.
    I realize this is probably a preaching to the choir type statement but I think everyone here would agree with you. It’s just that in MLSE’s warped version of reality playoffs is probably the bar they measure Bob by (as sad as that is) which is why it’s getting discussed here at length.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I realize this is probably a preaching to the choir type statement but I think everyone here would agree with you. It’s just that in MLSE’s warped version of reality playoffs is probably the bar they measure Bob by (as sad as that is) which is why it’s getting discussed here at length.
    Listen I get it. How can you not want your team to win? I am also saying something that doesn't totally make sense.

Thanks MLSE for breaking all of us, no matter what side of this we are on.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Thanks MLSE for breaking all of us, no matter what side of this we are on.

There are no sides. Only suffering & impending doom for us all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feels like it getting all Oppenheimer after Gadget's drop in here; people laughing, people crying, people silent about this BB experiment. Alright, let's turn these frowns upside-down... Why is Cinderrella so bad at football?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Why is Cinderrella so bad at football?
    Because she was following Bob's tactical plan?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    LOL i came here to cheer up after another crap day at work, hoping for new coach or transfer rumour but impending doom seems about right

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because she was following Bob's tactical plan?
    Close! Because she has a pumpkin for a coach! ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh. I honestly care less and less about this league.

No balanced schedule
    Supporters shield becoming worthless
    60% of teams make playoffs
    Best of three playoffs????!
    All night games??
    Garbage refereeing, borderline match fixing
    Nonsensical financial rules, GAM/TAM/DP/SPAM/YOUNGDP

But horary we get to watch Messi!

This league takes a lot of work to get into, and I'm not sure its worth it, other than just watching TFC which is becoming unbearable with Bob crap football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

No balanced schedule
    All night games??

This league takes a lot of work to get into, and I'm not sure it’s worth it, other than just watching TFC which is becoming unbearable with Bob crap football.
    They really need to stop living in the dark ages and provide proper disclosures about trades, player contracts, and transfer fees like pretty well every other North American league does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if we do land a home playoff game in this joke of a season, I'm not purchasing any extra seats.

I'm also contemplating not renewing my season seats for next year. I've been there from day 1, and for some odd reason, this season feels a lot worse than the brutal stretch in 2010 to 2013. I can't stomach the shit that I'm watching week over week anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

No balanced schedule
    All night games??

This league takes a lot of work to get into, and I'm not sure its worth it, other than just watching TFC which is becoming unbearable with Bob crap football.
    I think all this is quite true. At the same time, watching this team has always been about “just watching TFC” for me. That seems part of football. But I lived in England for a while and, you know, if you live near Swindon, let’s say, you support Swindon no matter what the football is like.

That was the spirit for a long time with Toronto. But I find it weirdly difficult to go back to the bad years after the success and with the (relatively) huge budget. In terms of the league and the actual football it’s so much better quality than it was. It’s a strange league but that’s North American football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I gotta agree with most the folks in here in my view.

A good healthy club with a deft prez/chairman and manager/technical manager don’t just look at annual league milestones as the mark of progress - they grade the process and quality in which how it’s being done, and whether what they are building is sustainable and not just short term to hit annual bonuses and save their jobs. That’s what they should be grading the management on. But this is corporate MLSE we’re talking bout here lol.

cool beans, we jam into the playoffs scraping ties and showing minimal growth in the final 3rd without ever showing simple relaxed, sustainable, controlled play; and rely on random insigne tirragiro’s, berna pens, set piece goals or Richie runs. None our current setup tactically apart from reduced goals against - shows tactical evolution and progress towards sustainability high level of playing and culture. I look at Philadelphia who took years of being shite and Curtin building fundamentals with his kids and vets - before they built a sustainable culture and organization that could breed good solid football, even if they haven’t win a cup- they are so overdue for that opportunity. Their entire setup and value they are getting out of their roster is second to none, even when they aren’t leading the tables.

MLSE, the suits and manning need to realize this. Their long term fans and SGs aren’t dumbasses who are suckers for a playoff appearance - they want a sustainable method of play and growth that means always being in the mix for every trophy or table - and having system where youth and transfer policy can consistently backfill roster spots. FK squeaking into the playoffs just to get shredded ain’t it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Even if we do land a home playoff game in this joke of a season, I'm not purchasing any extra seats.
    You won't need to worry about that anyway because the playoffs aren't happening unless they expand the field to 24 teams.

And even then I'm not sure.