Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    1.8 million in strikers that are all worthless. Unbelievable cap management
    With this level of coaching, you could dispense with the DPs and just have regular MLS journeymen.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

next game they should put berna up top and see if he can't drift around and create the runs/off ball movements/dummy/holdup stuffs and general striker stuff that's not being instructed or being advised by the staff.

As they say, if there's a void in leadership then pick up the flag, drive forward and lead by example. If's he's pissed that the team have no strategy or formula to getting into the final third and finish - Put him up top and see if he can't use his football IQ setup those plays for the team if Bobby doesn't want to. Kerr on the flank with his pace might be a better spot for him to beat a single outside FB, vs. being trapped around 2 CB's and decent MLS CDM... they will just box him out everyday of the week with his size and he isn't gonna be able to beat too many teams uptop on his own yet.

Berna might not be a natural striker, but his ability to fade away from a marking CB, or read the open spaces in around the box when our FB's/wingers pass it in from the byline might be enough to get us some production and finish. Worth a try at least. We've won 3 games this season lol, can't do much worse lol.
    Last edited by FiveThreeTwo; 05-31-2023 at 09:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that makes Bob our first manager since Ryan Nelsen in 2014 to not beat Chicago at BMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Felt like we slipped into our old stupid habits today. We had opportunities yes but seemed like that was just hard work by the players and Chicago’s defensive fragility as opposed to any sort of proper strategy by Bob.

It’s the same playbook since forever. Fede 1v1, Laryea overload, Lorenzo with not enough of the ball compared to his talents.

If we could somehow shorten bob’s lifespan as coach that would be great

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    Every time MAK touched the ball it looked like a blend of Pirlo, Iniesta and Xavi. I truly don’t know how we have one of the midfielders of all time on our team
    stevep, have you been hacked or is your post an early April fool's? TFC will struggle with MAK as your starting central midfielder. No creativity, terrible passing, terrible attacking, terrible defending, no desire to push forward with the ball. Almost always passes back or sideways. Watch him off the ball and you will see a lazy player who prances around like he's a world star. Lucky for him Bradley likes him or he would at best be a late game substitute on any other team, including CANMNT. Colorado saw this and drove MAK to the airport to see him off. Now we are stuck paying him almost 750k until 2025. In a salary capped league that's one heck of an amount to pay a fringe player.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mostly it's already been said above. What a waste of a couple of hours.

Chicago turned over the ball SO many times in dangerous areas, and TFC couldn't capitalize.

I feel TFC had about 20 corners plus free kicks near the box, yet they only registered one shot on goal all game.

I get it that there's no reasonable system or tactics, but that's not what makes Insigne bounce a freekick off the wall. The majority of his & Berna's freekicks were trash.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zorsofstesab View Post
    stevep, have you been hacked or is your post an early April fool's? TFC will struggle with MAK as your starting central midfielder. No creativity, terrible passing, terrible attacking, terrible defending, no desire to push forward with the ball. Almost always passes back or sideways. Watch him off the ball and you will see a lazy player who prances around like he's a world star. Lucky for him Bradley likes him or he would at best be a late game substitute on any other team, including CANMNT. Colorado saw this and drove MAK to the airport to see him off. Now we are stuck paying him almost 750k until 2025. In a salary capped league that's one heck of an amount to pay a fringe player.
    Sarcasm alert!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As much as the last win was needed, all it did was give Bob an extra life. Flush this season down the toilet. It's very clear that Bob doesn't know how to work with talent. Poz, Jimenez, Insigne, Berni. Playing young players out of position and hoping something will stick.

With this management in place, I have zero hope for any type of progress. We need a full gut, top down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like most of the squad, I do not think he had a particularly good match. The few moments of excitement were not enough. Overall, our offensive woes are being accentuated by our defensive decency. From where I sit, in the West Stands-South Half, when Fede got subbed, he received a lot of support cheers walking off the pitch. Fans beside the team bench, directly south, went hard in their love. A few have already highlighted many specifics, for myself, there weren't enough long-ball attempts to the touchline channels by Matt as in the previous match-win; even though Chicago's default was not as high as DCU's. In general, the group seemed to lack intensity, urgency and directness. If I heard correctly, for a stretch in the second half, when they halted any immediate build up and did their typical pass-back routines, there were soft hints of European whistle jeers. Even in extra-time, some moments felt they were on a stroll. At the final whistle, there were boos, more than I expected, just not sure if they were aimed at BB or the squad; likely meant for both. If this continues, more dramatic fallout has be expected.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watched some of this one back afterwards and noticed something. Now MAK's passing is shit, no way around it but almost all his passes are about 1.5m in front of his teammates almost every time. Is he expecting movement that isn't happening? Seems odd that most of his forward passes are all off by about the same distance and our players usually aren't running or even really moving.

You'd think since he's Bob's other son he would know to look up and react to what's happening instead of expecting some kind of route to be run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Sarcasm alert!!!

i found it on instagram, had to repost it. i found it quite funny comment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Watched some of this one back afterwards and noticed something. Now MAK's passing is shit, no way around it but almost all his passes are about 1.5m in front of his teammates almost every time. Is he expecting movement that isn't happening? Seems odd that most of his forward passes are all off by about the same distance and our players usually aren't running or even really moving. You'd think since he's Bob's other son he would know to look up and react to what's happening instead of expecting some kind of route to be run.
    This year it's been Kosi 'short-shorts' Thompson and... 'Would you mind if i wept? Not at all, would you mind if I vomited?' Mark Anthony 'hospital ball' Kaye!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple chances which provided some excitement a bit in the first half...but that was it. I hate to say it but I was really getting bored watching the game. Passing side to side back and forth never-ending. Move the ball to Insigne, he gets blocked off by a couple players, move the ball back to the midfield and defence and then over to Berna. Berna has nowhere to go then back to the midfield defence again. Holy hell. I get the movement side to side to try to get the other team unbalanced and look for the opening but other than maybe a couple times that I recall, there was no opening and back and forth it went. I got tired of watching it. Maybe if TFC moved the ball quicker more openings would appear but it was so laboured in the movement. Chicago was happy enough just to let TFC pass the ball around and try to get out with 0-0. At least it was awesome weather and a nice night to be at the stadium. Other than that though.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seemed a team in need of offensive direction. And in need of a striker (which we’ve been saying all season, all but Sapong’s debut). Comon Bernie. Most MLS teams would be thrilled to add a successful Fiorentina striker. But not our Bob, it seems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Like most of the squad, I do not think he had a particularly good match. The few moments of excitement were not enough. Overall, our offensive woes are being accentuated by our defensive decency. From where I sit, in the West Stands-South Half, when Fede got subbed, he received a lot of support cheers walking off the pitch. Fans beside the team bench, directly south, went hard in their love. A few have already highlighted many specifics, for myself, there weren't enough long-ball attempts to the touchline channels by Matt as in the previous match-win; even though Chicago's default was not as high as DCU's. In general, the group seemed to lack intensity, urgency and directness. If I heard correctly, for a stretch in the second half, when they halted any immediate build up and did their typical pass-back routines, there were soft hints of European whistle jeers. Even in extra-time, some moments felt they were on a stroll. At the final whistle, there were boos, more than I expected, just not sure if they were aimed at BB or the squad; likely meant for both. If this continues, more dramatic fallout has be expected.
    I thought they played pretty hard. I saw guys busting their ass in various parts of the field. But as the game wore on and the goals didn’t come you could sort of feel the weight of expectations sink in and that hurt everyone’s effectiveness.

They know the game plan is stupid but are just trying to soldier though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Seemed a team in need of offensive direction. And in need of a striker (which we’ve been saying all season, all but Sapong’s debut). Comon Bernie. Most MLS teams would be thrilled to add a successful Fiorentina striker. But not our Bob, it seems.
    Should be able to manage more than what we are against a team like the Fire. We don't even create good enough chances for a FW to blow. Remember guys like Barrett or Cunningham who played on our prime shit level teams of yesteryear. They blew more golden opportunities per match than we manage in a month. If that was happening now then I would say we need a striker and it could fix the issue but we could have almost anybody up top and unless he can do it all by himself and create his own chances then he wouldn't be managing much either. This is the way we're set up now and it's ridiculous for a team leading the league in payroll to play like the Rapids are forced to because thier ownership is cheap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Should be able to manage more than what we are against a team like the Fire. We don't even create good enough chances for a FW to blow. Remember guys like Barrett or Cunningham who played on our prime shit level teams of yesteryear. They blew more golden opportunities per match than we manage in a month. If that was happening now then I would say we need a striker and it could fix the issue but we could have almost anybody up top and unless he can do it all by himself and create his own chances then he wouldn't be managing much either. This is the way we're set up now and it's ridiculous for a team leading the league in payroll to play like the Rapids are forced to because thier ownership is cheap.
    We had a 2.0 xG last night. That's pretty good. Should have scored.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    All of that was in the first half and was mostly players trying to do it themselves (mostly Berna). That's what it takes to create chances and why we're easy to defend. You can see Insigne & Berna doing the same telegraphed cut in a shoot over and over. Usually it was blocked but Berna managed to squeeze a few through.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh, this where I am at- first half we shoulda scored & that would have changed the game state significantly in our favour (of course).

Second half - completely out of gas mentally & physically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed, but the reason we don’t largely rests in the quality of the players taking those chances (among other things).

To xG Chat Barrett at the penalty spot with a look on goal is a superior opportunity to Messi shooting from outside the 18. Regardless, we all which scenario is more likely to end up with the ball in the net.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Agreed, but the reason we don’t largely rests in the quality of the players taking those chances (among other things).

To xG Chat Barrett at the penalty spot with a look on goal is a superior opportunity to Messi shooting from outside the 18. Regardless, we all which scenario is more likely to end up with the ball in the net.
    I agree, but just saying chance creation, while not superb, was actually decent last night. The actual putting the ball in the net was more the problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, but just saying chance creation, while not superb, was actually decent last night. The actual putting the ball in the net was more the problem.
    On the day, sure.

I would just caution anyone who thinks we’ve suddenly turned the corner in our offence. To me it looked like those chances came because guys were working their asses off and because Chicago was too dumb to read a scouting report. It was the same 3-4 things we always try and do in attack.

I doubt those same things will work against better teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    On the day, sure.

I would just caution anyone who thinks we’ve suddenly turned the corner in our offence. To me it looked like those chances came because guys were working their asses off and because Chicago was too dumb to read a scouting report. It was the same 3-4 things we always try and do in attack.

I doubt those same things will work against better teams.
    I think we did okay offensively until about minute 60, when their legs just seemed to go.

IF we had a decent striker and if the Italians remained the pace of play -- not speed per se, but quick decisions -- of the first half, I think we at least squeak a goal in that one.

I think Kerr has a lot of potential but his movement in the box is poor. On the cross where he kneed the goalie on the rebound, he was attacking the goal in a straight line which is very counterproductive as a striker is a) usually trying to get ahead of his man, and b) usually aiming for a post, to cut the goalie's coverage angle down when he redirects the pass.

That and Sapong's relative lack of mobility in the second half -- he looked arthritic for his time out there, maybe the humidity was getting to them or something -- made it very difficult to threaten from crosses, and that led to the reversion to type, trying to slip something in from the top of the box.

But that also felt like maybe Bob overcoached it. We really changed our focus of attack in the second half, from the touchline to the top corners. We always look great when we pin them and attack from the touchline. We always look like shit from the top corners, because quick, sharp crosses and through balls require more skill to receive and finish quickly or redirect.

And Mbongue isn't ready for this level. He looks a good athlete and he works had but he has no idea what he's doing out there when he has no time and just has to react. All he has to do on that final buildup is drill the ball hard to Insigne's feet, flat, with his instep. Insigne was inside the near post, he had lots of time, he would at least have gotten a chance. Instead, he saw a defender near that post, panicked, and tried to hit the trailer who wasn' t even in the box yet and triple covered.

That shit right there is the difference between wins and draws in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd also say I still think the kids' movement needs serious help, and he's relying on them too much to figure it out. Kobe Franklin BEDEVILED Insigne with bad movement last night. It wasn't just poor, it was abysmal. He overran him, he cut inside him when he shouldn't. He clearly had NO IDEA where he was suppose to be, which, given that they were ceding us wide positions, was on a proper overlap, which he almost never did.

Unless, again, that was some weird failed tactical move, I don't know what he was doing.

I'll add that they showed a closeup of Bob around minute 70 and he looked fucking bleak, like they'd already told him he was done, or soon would be. I mean, it's just a flash on TV, maybe he was just flabbergasted by something stupid ahead of him on the pitch, as there as plenty. But I've never seen doubt in his face, and there was a lot. It wasn't pretty.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^Trying to recall but pretty sure a player on our team mentioned all of this type of stuff in a press conference after the Austin game....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

blow this thing up...this team is unwatchable,enough with this inverted winger stuff. insigni hit the fkkking net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    A couple chances which provided some excitement a bit in the first half...but that was it. I hate to say it but I was really getting bored watching the game. Passing side to side back and forth never-ending. Move the ball to Insigne, he gets blocked off by a couple players, move the ball back to the midfield and defence and then over to Berna. Berna has nowhere to go then back to the midfield defence again. Holy hell. I get the movement side to side to try to get the other team unbalanced and look for the opening but other than maybe a couple times that I recall, there was no opening and back and forth it went. I got tired of watching it. Maybe if TFC moved the ball quicker more openings would appear but it was so laboured in the movement. Chicago was happy enough just to let TFC pass the ball around and try to get out with 0-0. At least it was awesome weather and a nice night to be at the stadium. Other than that though.....
    This, exactly this. I can endure the Drama and being a shit team but not the boring, dreadful play. Last night had me missing Poz, a guy who could make something out of nothing. I never questioned having season seats before but driving home last night, after a crap day at work, having to buy drinks and food at the stadium due to a lack of time pre game, after watching that dire performance I may start giving it some thought. It was just so dull

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I think we did okay offensively until about minute 60, when their legs just seemed to go.

IF we had a decent striker and if the Italians remained the pace of play -- not speed per se, but quick decisions -- of the first half, I think we at least squeak a goal in that one.

I think Kerr has a lot of potential but his movement in the box is poor. On the cross where he kneed the goalie on the rebound, he was attacking the goal in a straight line which is very counterproductive as a striker is a) usually trying to get ahead of his man, and b) usually aiming for a post, to cut the goalie's coverage angle down when he redirects the pass.

That and Sapong's relative lack of mobility in the second half -- he looked arthritic for his time out there, maybe the humidity was getting to them or something -- made it very difficult to threaten from crosses, and that led to the reversion to type, trying to slip something in from the top of the box.

But that also felt like maybe Bob overcoached it. We really changed our focus of attack in the second half, from the touchline to the top corners. We always look great when we pin them and attack from the touchline. We always look like shit from the top corners, because quick, sharp crosses and through balls require more skill to receive and finish quickly or redirect.

And Mbongue isn't ready for this level. He looks a good athlete and he works had but he has no idea what he's doing out there when he has no time and just has to react. All he has to do on that final buildup is drill the ball hard to Insigne's feet, flat, with his instep. Insigne was inside the near post, he had lots of time, he would at least have gotten a chance. Instead, he saw a defender near that post, panicked, and tried to hit the trailer who wasn' t even in the box yet and triple covered.

That shit right there is the difference between wins and draws in MLS.
    I’m just annoyed at the whole setup. We keep getting our best players the ball miles and miles from the goal. Hardly anyone makes the runs to break the lines so they get surrounded by three guys and get smothered off the ball.

Would it be so hard for Bob to get LI or Berna the ball somewhere near the box for once as opposed to next to the touch line at midfield?

We might legitimately need VV out there even if he’s reached broken down golf cart status because nobody else can get these guys the ball where they need it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I'd also say I still think the kids' movement needs serious help, and he's relying on them too much to figure it out. Kobe Franklin BEDEVILED Insigne with bad movement last night. It wasn't just poor, it was abysmal. He overran him, he cut inside him when he shouldn't. He clearly had NO IDEA where he was suppose to be, which, given that they were ceding us wide positions, was on a proper overlap, which he almost never did.

Unless, again, that was some weird failed tactical move, I don't know what he was doing.

I'll add that they showed a closeup of Bob around minute 70 and he looked fucking bleak, like they'd already told him he was done, or soon would be. I mean, it's just a flash on TV, maybe he was just flabbergasted by something stupid ahead of him on the pitch, as there as plenty. But I've never seen doubt in his face, and there was a lot. It wasn't pretty.
    I know you’re no fan of Petretta but Kobe (last night anyway) is not a good match for our 7 million dollar winger. Not sure why he’s become the de facto starter, he’s too green and he’s more comfortable, it seems, playing the other side. Was Petretta still injured? (He was on the bench) Or was he among the 10 mutineers and being taught a lesson about loyalty?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually left the game early for the first time since TFC inception, I have given up on BB and management. Just an absolute waste of 6 hours including travel to and from Orangeville.