Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    I know we have been crap before but I am amazed by the way the veneer has peeled away this time around, that they have lost control of the narrative especially without having to face a probing media. To see this happen to two dominant media companies is fascinating to me. I know you have mentioned everyone being siloed but the Dubas presser was wild and Shanahan’s to me reeked of self preservation. I just never expected people to get exposed in the way it’s playing out.
    I think it's quite rare for a company this large and overarching to also have to be forward-facing, because many of their customers are sports fans. Most large corporations only face this sort of scrutiny when they break the law or are life-threatening.

But sports is the most public, consistently accessed portion of the news -- in any country-- which is why it's so ideal for sportswashing by countries like the UAE and Saudi. Your narrative is out there every day.

The downside to that is it requires solid control over the outward message, or it's like having an entire government department meltdown: you quickly realize most of the time, the right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing, because there are too many directors, too many departments, too many individualized fiefdoms of responsibility, too few people actively holding it all together.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Was Diomande on a 1 year contract? I get the sense we will never see him or Vazquez this season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    Was Diomande on a 1 year contract? I get the sense we will never see him or Vazquez this season.
    I think it's a two year deal because why not pay over $500K annually to a guy who didn't play much for a few years.

But we did get to see them both play. Just not very much and neither did anything worth the $800K+ they're burning this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I think it's a two year deal because why not pay over $500K annually to a guy who didn't play much for a few years.

But we did get to see them both play. Just not very much and neither did anything worth the $800K+ they're burning this season.
    Dio on anything more than a one year contract plus a one year team option would be criminal. He should of had basically zero leverage going into negotiations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Dio on anything more than a one year contract plus a one year team option would be criminal. He should have had basically zero leverage going into negotiations.
    Yeah, so true. And he’s a big part of the reason we had virtually no striker through the first ten matches or so. That’s got to be the biggest signing failure so far. VV I figured we’d lucky if he got in a handful of meaningful games and I didn’t expect any full matches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did we ever hear anything about Michael Bradley outside of him heading to England for a hamstring surgery?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Did we ever hear anything about Michael Bradley outside of him heading to England for a hamstring surgery?
    Not a thing. No mention if he even had the surgery. Normally I would find that odd but this is TFC 2023 and they don't share info other than what the players are wearing when they get to the stadium and a couple of professional looking training photos a week with a witty caption under them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Not as bad as it could have been, eight to 10 weeks. So he'll be back with about a third of the season left.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Refs

Toronto FC vs D.C. United
    BMO Field (7:30PM ET)
    REF: Lukasz Szpala
    AR1: Jason White
    AR2: Chantal Boudreau
    4TH: Sergii Demianchuk
    VAR: Michael Radchuk
    AVAR: Gjovalin Bori

Commentators

Heldrith has done announcing for awhile - has partnered with St Aubin for awhile too. "The voice of NWSL"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, regarding Insigne’s injury!? Also, not sure about this account; thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    FWIW, regarding Insigne’s injury!? Also, not sure about this account; thoughts?

Kaylyn Kyle was the one who said he travelled, wasn't it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Would seem to be an easy point of clarification, no? Picture of LI in Austin and Bob’s just painted himself into one more corner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Would seem to be an easy point of clarification, no? Picture of LI in Austin and Bob’s just painted himself into one more corner.
    I thought other players confirmed he didn't travel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought other players confirmed he didn't travel.
    Yeah, Kaye did.

I suspect what has happened with Kyle, as its third-hand stuff through her hubbie, is that Harrison Heath heard about a dispute with Bernardeschi and that got confused with Insigne. The "he didn't travel" stuff could have been as easy as him surmising and then stating "that's why he didn't go to Austin," and just assuming it.

It's important to remember that even though she has an "in" at the team, she's not a reporter or journalist. She's an ex-player talking head announcer, with no experience in dealing with the nuance that can lead to misunderstandings.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^If that is what happened, you are being too nice, jloome. Experienced journalist or not, she went out on a national platform with a bogus and defamatory story. She tweets multiple times a day. She needed to correct that yesterday.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sort of. Certainly amplified those 'reports/rumours'; poured gasoline on a fire. Except I understand they were basically from/originated with an identified well known Toronto-centric account that spreads falsehoods involving TFC. She is very opportunistic in her analyst commentary and pundit reporting; personal peeve of mine. Parsed her comments scrupulously, one needs to listen carefully, I was easily overwhelmed just by the totality of what was being stated... Lollo 'does not want to work with (? not play for!) Bob Bradley'. Certainly put the source spotlight, an unnecessary whitsle-blower target, on Richie! While not trying to minimize what may be unfolding, since I believe there are huge issues at TFC, there are days that I myself do not want to work with some people I work with/for and tell a colleague or two so and keep doing my job professionally.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 05-25-2023 at 11:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^If that is what happened, you are being too nice, jloome. Experienced journalist or not, she went out on a national platform with a bogus and defamatory story. She tweets multiple times a day. She needed to correct that yesterday.
    She probably hasn't even noticed. I mean, it clearly didn't occur to her that Richie is going to be instantly outed as her source by many, as her husband played with him at Orlando. Many people know that. It's not a secret.

Yet not even an attempt to deflect by saying "a source within the league" or something that might've separated it but still been technically accurate.

She has no craft. She's just a talking head.
    Last edited by jloome; 05-25-2023 at 03:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Sort of. Certainly amplified those 'reports/rumours'; poured gasoline on a fire. Except I understand they were basically from/originated with an identified well known Toronto-centric account that spreads falsehoods involving TFC. She is very opportunistic in her analyst commentary and pundit reporting; personal peeve of mine. Parsed her comments scrupulously, one needs to listen carefully, I was easily overwhelmed just by the totality of what was being stated... Lollo 'does not want to work with (? not play for!) Bob Bradley'. Certainly put the source spotlight, an unnecessary whitsle-blower target, on Richie! While not trying to minimize what may be unfolding, since I believe there are huge issues at TFC, there are days that I myself do not want to work with some people I work with/for and tell a colleague or two so and keep doing my job professionally.
    Agreed, totally makes it look like Richie spilled the beans. Really poor form from her. Agree with Ensco as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have 4 tickets for Saturday?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nolimitag View Post
    Anyone have 4 tickets for Saturday?
    Check the Reddit r/tfc forum tomorrow and Saturday morning. There's usually a half-dozen or more free pairs on offer from people who can't make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not going to the game this weekend, and I'm not giving my seats away to a friend or a relative. I'll evaluate week over week if it will continue for the remainder of the season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Not as bad as it could have been, eight to 10 weeks. So he'll be back with about a third of the season left.
    That seems to be the standard recovery time frame the Doc spiels for footballers. IMHO, TFC journos will need to ask if any 3D CT imaging has occurred post op as a follow-up; a self noted warning indicator that recovery progress will not be standard!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Official! So expected to be in the line-up? We shall see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Diomande. Comes back for 1 game, then out for 3. Rinse and repeat.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diomande. Comes back for 1 game, then out for 3. Rinse and repeat.
    Solid use of $500K.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Solid use of $500K.
    Him and Akinola worst two contracts on the team.

1 million + between them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Him and Akinola worst two contracts on the team.

1 million + between them.
    Over $1M for no goals or even a hope of a goal.

At least Akinola tripped over the ball on that breakaway. We'll always have that memory of him. By winter I will have forgotten Diomande completely.