Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Match Day 15 - DCU @ TFC Sat May 27 7:39pm - There's a black hat caught

in a high tree top

that's my soul up there

Have at It People

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a reminder

Not hoping for a loss & anybody in here who does isn't a supporter, IMHO.

&

The last manager let go was after a DCU game - one before that, NER. (I was mistaken so edited this)

Anybody know what the opponents were for others?
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 05-22-2023 at 09:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Just a reminder

Not hoping for a loss & anybody in here who does isn't a supporter, IMHO.

&

The last manager let go was after a DCU game - one before that, NER. (I was mistaken so edited this)

Anybody know what the opponents were for others?
    Man.... I have a great joke here, but it's tasteless, because the guy is dead. You guys figure it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Man.... I have a great joke here, but it's tasteless, because the guy is dead. You guys figure it out.
    Hmm, tasteless jokes aren’t my forte… but wasn’t the last time a manager was fired (if we’re not including Perez’s not being rehired), wasn’t there a DP star awol who had a dust up with the manager and refused to play?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Hmm, tasteless jokes aren’t my forte… but wasn’t the last time a manager was fired (if we’re not including Perez’s not being rehired), wasn’t there a DP star awol who had a dust up with the manager and refused to play?
    I believe there was. He ended up in New England. But we can't do that with the current guy. Any salary we eat, which would be most of it, would still be a charge against us too big to be able to replace him.

I imagine what is presently going on at MLSE is they are having meetings drenched in frustration in which Manning is asking Bob "how do we fix this", and Bob is reassuring him that once some of the injured players are back, it'll all turn around.

But we know that's bullshit. He probably won't be fired in the next week; my office source said they were giving him at least four more games to turn it around, the run at home, and that was before the last game away. By that measure, he still has four home fixtures to get wins before they'll pull the trigger.

The Italians have possibly changed that equation, however. If Insigne sits out and refuses to play for him, his agent already knows from the Emmanuel Reynoso situation at Minnesota that the league is toothless and can basically do nothing about it. Reynoso missed the first 12 games of the season, apologized for doing so... and is back on the team. It cost him nothing to stay in Argentina and deal with what was reportedly a failing marriage and a minor assault charge for slapping a kid, against the team's wishes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe there was. He ended up in New England. But we can't do that with the current guy. Any salary we eat, which would be most of it, would still be a charge against us too big to be able to replace him.

I imagine what is presently going on at MLSE is they are having meetings drenched in frustration in which Manning is asking Bob "how do we fix this", and Bob is reassuring him that once some of the injured players are back, it'll all turn around.

But we know that's bullshit. He probably won't be fired in the next week; my office source said they were giving him at least four more games to turn it around, the run at home, and that was before the last game away. By that measure, he still has four home fixtures to get wins before they'll pull the trigger.

The Italians have possibly changed that equation, however. If Insigne sits out and refuses to play for him, his agent already knows from the Emmanuel Reynoso situation at Minnesota that the league is toothless and can basically do nothing about it. Reynoso missed the first 12 games of the season, apologized for doing so... and is back on the team. It cost him nothing to stay in Argentina and deal with what was reportedly a failing marriage and a minor assault charge for slapping a kid, against the team's wishes.
    Eventually New England but Armas’ firing after we lost to DC was Jozy’s immediate return to the club.

I guess it will depend on what LI and Bernie do? If Insigne refuses to play and Bernie plays half heartedly it’d be tough to make the case that all will be well after a few more guys get back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We will be very fortunate if DC doesn't spank us. They're playing like a team that has three recent Premier League players in its starting lineup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just my guess but if the Italians have lost confidence in Bob and there’s probably a chunk of the rest of the team that’s not far behind.

He has insulate himself somewhat by bringing in his own guys but the walls can only hold up so long.

This is definitely a “when” not “if” scenario in terms of Bradley being removed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eventually New England but Armas’ firing after we lost to DC was Jozy’s immediate return to the club.

I guess it will depend on what LI and Bernie do? If Insigne refuses to play and Bernie plays half heartedly it’d be tough to make the case that all will be well after a few more guys get back.
    Short of the Italians agreeing to take a pay cut and go back to Europe it would appear the parties involved are stuck together.

It was easier to isolate Altidore from the team. If they did that with the Italians MLS HO would be fielding angry calls from D’Amico and others with real sway in the world game.

The most movable pieces here are Bradley and Manning and that’s eventually what will break IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Short of the Italians agreeing to take a pay cut and go back to Europe it would appear the parties involved are stuck together.

It was easier to isolate Altidore from the team. If they did that with the Italians MLS HO would be fielding angry calls from D’Amico and others with real sway in the world game.

The most movable pieces here are Bradley and Manning and that’s eventually what will break IMO.
    Yeah, it seems very unlikely you freeze out Insigne like the morons Curtis and Armas did with Jozy. I don’t imagine that’s Bob’s style either (or if it is, it’s foolish)… but if it’s true that LI had words with BB and refused to play in Austin it’s not impossible that he refuses to play again until Bob is gone. “Lorenzo Insigne does not want to work with Bob Bradley” was the ExtraTime quote.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it seems very unlikely you freeze out Insigne like the morons Curtis and Armas did with Jozy. I don’t imagine that’s Bob’s style either (or if it is, it’s foolish)… but if it’s true that LI had words with BB and refused to play in Austin it’s not impossible that he refuses to play again until Bob is gone. “Lorenzo Insigne does not want to work with Bob Bradley” was the ExtraTime quote.
    Well, honestly, we've played better without him this year, so not a big loss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That’s fair. I mean it is an effective way to state your displeasure.

Sad our media can’t point out what appears to be right there in the open.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Tuesday media visits today - not unheard of in the past for there to be no avail until Thursday when its after a Saturday game on a long weekend.

I wouldn't conspiracy think this one too much.

NOW

Thursday - that one will be interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    That’s fair. I mean it is an effective way to state your displeasure.

Sad our media can’t point out what appears to be right there in the open.
    Quite incredible, really. Kaylyn Kyle said something like ‘I asked what was going on and that’s what I told. I don’t know anything more.’ Someone in town couldn’t do that? I guess we’re still waiting on confirmation.

It seems it’s all about the zoom press conferences and not much else… but of course we watch those too. There’s not much other content found in the news stories. When there are news stories - it’s pretty much only Davidson now. I read him because I like to read solid, well written pieces on my club but really that’s because I’m a fanatic. They’re rarely much more than one can get for oneself by simply watching the video made public.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quite incredible, really. Kaylyn Kyle said something like ‘I asked what was going on and that’s what I told. I don’t know anything more.’ Someone in town couldn’t do that? I guess we’re still waiting on confirmation.

It seems it’s all about the zoom press conferences and not much else… but of course we watch those too. There’s not much other content found in the news stories. When there are news stories - it’s pretty much only Davidson now. I read him because I like to read solid, well written pieces on my club but really that’s because I’m a fanatic. They’re rarely much more than one can get for oneself by simply watching the video made public.
    It’s quite incredible how spineless they have all become. Do the various beat reporters left think writing the same puff piece as the next 5 guys is going to increase their readership?

You could make an entire career here out of printing obvious things as long as you’re comfortable with not always being in the club’s hood books. No special access or lame quotes needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We will be very fortunate if DC doesn't spank us. They're playing like a team that has three recent Premier League players in its starting lineup.
    Yep they are playing excellent recently and like a team.

Its kind of sad for us all these wooden spoon contenders - Montreal, DC, Kansas, NYRD have all managed to turn it around somewhat. Meanwhile we are sinking faster then basically anyone outside of LA Galaxy - who are also in their own absolute mess.
    Last edited by SenorDingDong; 05-23-2023 at 11:58 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we lose again or draw...surely, that HAS to be the final straw and out go Manning and Bradley? Please tell me so....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    Yep they are playing excellent recently and like a team.

Its kind of sad for us all these wooden spoon contenders - Montreal, DC, Kansas, NYRD have all managed to turn it around somewhat. Meanwhile we are sinking faster then basically anyone outside of LA Galaxy - who are also in their own absolute mess.
    I put Montreal to my office source; everyone keeps blaming injuries and roster change, nd only having 14 key players, or whatever their silly internal number is. But Bob has had FIFTY games now, the fourth most of any TFC manager (a sad statistic in and of itself). Meanwhile, Losada turned Montreal around in one off season despite losing seven starters and promoting two youth players to the first team.

If nothing else, I think we can all agree that Bob Bradley is an absolutely horseshit judge of talent. Not only did he tell them before THIS season that they could count on transfer funds from player sales despite having seen our youth for over a year, he also has let go more performing players than he's made stick with the first team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    No Tuesday media visits today - not unheard of in the past for there to be no avail until Thursday when its after a Saturday game on a long weekend.

I wouldn't conspiracy think this one too much.

NOW

Thursday - that one will be interesting.

Hah... I was WRONG - Davidson is at practice.

They messed me up - usually journos are there by 11 am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Well, honestly, we've played better without him this year, so not a big loss.
    If we'd actually played well at any point that would be some comfort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I put Montreal to my office source; everyone keeps blaming injuries and roster change, nd only having 14 key players, or whatever their silly internal number is. But Bob has had FIFTY games now, the fourth most of any TFC manager (a sad statistic in and of itself). Meanwhile, Losada turned Montreal around in one off season despite losing seven starters and promoting two youth players to the first team.

If nothing else, I think we can all agree that Bob Bradley is an absolutely horseshit judge of talent. Not only did he tell them before THIS season that they could count on transfer funds from player sales despite having seen our youth for over a year, he also has let go more performing players than he's made stick with the first team.
    Thanks for sharing this stuff, I’m curious does your source know if BB took the job with the understanding that he would get a third DP or did he come into this knowing there was no more money being put up by MLSE. Also what would be the motivation for your source to speak?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    Also what would be the motivation for your source to speak?
    Loneliness?

“What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hoping to wake up Sunday morning to those big, bold headlines. It's long overdue.
    Last edited by ronzilla; 05-23-2023 at 03:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    That's an unfair comparison, at least we got 4 or so really good seasons out of GOT before it started unraveling
    Last edited by JoesphNdo; 05-23-2023 at 03:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    Thanks for sharing this stuff, I’m curious does your source know if BB took the job with the understanding that he would get a third DP or did he come into this knowing there was no more money being put up by MLSE. Also what would be the motivation for your source to speak?
    Mostly because I’m respecting their privacy by not printing what they tell me verbatim, it’s been an attempt to demonstrate why they made the decisions they did, although none of the explanations really has been anything we couldn’t surmise from common sense.

There’s possibly a sense that because I’m an ex-columnist and author with a fan club and stuff that I have influence over the fans to some respect, and that can be massaged from their end. It’s a little delusional; the only place I regularly post about TFC is here, and you useless bastards already know how wrong I can be, after sixteen years of this. Nobody here is taking chat as gospel.

Also, the source in question is one of several under extreme pressure, trying to do their job, but not having a lot of luck despite pursuing seemingly sensible choices. As such I do get a sense they appreciate some sympathy and respect. Not a ton of professional sympathy, as they’ve made good money making frankly terrible choices (albeit ones I may well have made myself).

But humanistic sympathy, certainly.

I suspect however that my latest conversation with them has led to the tactical decision to go back to their earlier quiet PR tack, which is to have some of their lowlier staff post on forums like this, undermining people’s opinion and generally being duplicitous under the guise of playing devils advocate.

My last message to them was pretty unequivocal, that from the fan perspective he’s got to go. If I felt or saw any real groundswell against that, I’d have told them that. But it’s only ever one or two posters who jump into these things to actually DEFEND the club’s behavior, no matter how poor it is. I suspect most regulars can figure out who they are.

EDIT On Bob and the DPs, my impression is he thought he would have three this year, as they’d planned to finance a third using young player sales that did not materialize (chiefly JMR, I suspect.)
    Last edited by jloome; 05-23-2023 at 03:38 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am going to go against trend on one important point (at the risk of repeating myself)…

Fede should not have gone public like that. He had a right to be heard, but he should have gone to Manning or, even better, Tanenbaum or Ed Rogers.

It doesn’t work when players do this. It leaves only bad options and it creates toxicity, it doesn’t stop it.

I expect him to do something to try to difuse this soon.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I am going to go against trend on one important point (at the risk of repeating myself)…

Fede should not have gone public like that. He had a right to be heard, but he should have gone to Manning or, even better, Tanenbaum or Ed Rogers.

It doesn’t work when players do this. It leaves only bad options and it creates toxicity, it doesn’t stop it.

I expect him to do something to try to difuse this soon.
    Problematically, I doubt he would even have thought of talking to them, as they are pretty hands off on team decisions.

He may have already tried to talk to Bob about it. A man who is confident in all his decisions is too confident.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the silhouette in this image of the individual to the right of Lollo and Fede, in black, at the forefront and in front of the net, VV or just an assistant coach; maybe Roy Kent/Stalteri? I realize it is hard to tell...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does look a little like Victor. maybe he’s back.

Edit: As for DC, since we're in the game thread: all I'm hoping is that the staff took Fede's comment to heart and has worked this week on some pattern play, for when Bob ball is breaking down or the youth can't keep pace.

If the dude is a tactical genius, now would be the time to demonstrate it.
    Last edited by jloome; 05-23-2023 at 07:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mostly because I’m respecting their privacy by not printing what they tell me verbatim, it’s been an attempt to demonstrate why they made the decisions they did, although none of the explanations really has been anything we couldn’t surmise from common sense.

There’s possibly a sense that because I’m an ex-columnist and author with a fan club and stuff that I have influence over the fans to some respect, and that can be massaged from their end. It’s a little delusional; the only place I regularly post about TFC is here, and you useless bastards already know how wrong I can be, after sixteen years of this. Nobody here is taking chat as gospel.

Also, the source in question is one of several under extreme pressure, trying to do their job, but not having a lot of luck despite pursuing seemingly sensible choices. As such I do get a sense they appreciate some sympathy and respect. Not a ton of professional sympathy, as they’ve made good money making frankly terrible choices (albeit ones I may well have made myself).

But humanistic sympathy, certainly.

I suspect however that my latest conversation with them has led to the tactical decision to go back to their earlier quiet PR tack, which is to have some of their lowlier staff post on forums like this, undermining people’s opinion and generally being duplicitous under the guise of playing devils advocate.

My last message to them was pretty unequivocal, that from the fan perspective he’s got to go. If I felt or saw any real groundswell against that, I’d have told them that. But it’s only ever one or two posters who jump into these things to actually DEFEND the club’s behavior, no matter how poor it is. I suspect most regulars can figure out who they are.

EDIT On Bob and the DPs, my impression is he thought he would have three this year, as they’d planned to finance a third using young player sales that did not materialize (chiefly JMR, I suspect.)
    I know we have been crap before but I am amazed by the way the veneer has peeled away this time around, that they have lost control of the narrative especially without having to face a probing media. To see this happen to two dominant media companies is fascinating to me. I know you have mentioned everyone being siloed but the Dubas presser was wild and Shanahan’s to me reeked of self preservation. I just never expected people to get exposed in the way it’s playing out.