Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who at MLSE would be any good at hiring Manning's replacement?

MLSE are the rich absentee parents who actually did “try” to give us what we wanted. As part of that, I have time for jloome's take that Manning is a good guy, and not an odious character.

But so what. They have all wrecked it, and the way they wrecked it has me convinced that it cannot be fixed while MLSE own the team. MLSE will never understand their fundamental causation role in this disaster.

This is different than just having the wrong guy, or management team, in there.

I don’t know what to think or do, really. I feel mostly sad.
    Last edited by ensco; 07-10-2023 at 07:01 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turn that frown upside down. Maybe Masai Uijiri? Most are saying Uncle Larry is exiting. I am not so sure. IIUC, he may have found an agreement loophole to kick something off cause he is not necessarily 'transferring' any of his shares since Omers investment is a 20% stake in Kilmer Sports of the Kilmer Group. Bell and Rogers are going to court to challenge this; let's see what happens. I always believed Tanenbaum had a first right of refusal to their shares. Now it's mentioned that there seems to be some sort of clause that those Telecomms may be able to by him out in 2026? Perhaps everyone, each other, in a Shotgun Bid? He may be maxing his position to poison any such attempt or cause them to bear hug him on his way out. Regardless, I suspect Larry is beloved, and would be more so than Ed Rogers, by other NHL, NBA and MLS owners; maybe not so much by those of the CFL. Not sure how active Ed is within MLB circles. Bell is the poster child for the faceless corporation.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Who at MLSE would be any good at hiring Manning's replacement?

MLSE are the rich absentee parents who actually did “try” to give us what we wanted. As part of that, I have time for jloome's take that Manning is a good guy, and not an odious character.

But so what. They have all wrecked it, and the way they wrecked it has me convinced that it cannot be fixed while MLSE own the team. MLSE will never understand their fundamental causation role in this disaster.

This is different than just having the wrong guy, or management team, in there.

I don’t know what to think or do, really. I feel mostly sad.
    Sadly you could say the same about any MLSE-owned team. Apart from when they had Tim L. in charge (who set up TFC and the Raptors to win), the whole organization has been dysfunctional with how to put people in charge who would make their teams win. An actually good at sports CEO could turn this thing around but they seem unable to hire someone like that, or at least keep them (Tim L.).
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 07-10-2023 at 01:56 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least the raptors have Wayne Embry as a senior advisor. Someone to cut through the bullshit and explain to the clueless board how things should work in basketball.

Who do we have? Nobody, hence the problem.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Sadly you could say the same about any MLSE-owned team. Apart from when they had Tim L. in charge (who set up TFC and the Raptors to win), the whole organization has been dysfunctional with how to put people in charge who would make their teams win. An actually good at sports CEO could turn this thing around but they seem unable to hire someone like that, or at least keep them (Tim L.).
    Disagree. The hockey and even basketball fans and media are such that this could never happen to those teams.

You would be afraid to go out in public if you allowed what is going on with TFC to happen to the Leafs or Raptors.
    Last edited by ensco; 07-11-2023 at 09:26 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Disagree. The hockey and even basketball fans and media are such that this could never happen to those teams.

You would be afraid to go out in public if you allowed what is going on with TFC to happen to the Leafs or Raptors.
    Are you talking about the same Leafs who have been losers every year since 1967?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Are you talking about the same Leafs who have been losers every year since 1967?
    I have a contrarian take on the Leafs. Post Ballard, they have been unlucky, not inept, overall. They have been contenders to play in the final probably 8 times in the last 30 years. That's probably about average statistically across the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forget Manning. He is the one that 'pimps' TFC in this equation. If you must understand the dysfunction at MLSE, then look no further than the corporate virus Ed Rogers and any of his faction/minions are; and will be so long as involved within the Board. Judging by how he and his comport themselves, no expectation of real corporate governance is to be presumed and the probability of personal vindictiveness is to be expected.

FYI...

Against 'one of his own' and a former MLSEB member...

'Among Natale’s claims is one alleging that either Edward Rogers or his wife Suzanne attempted to tarnish his reputation by hiring actor Brian Cox, who portrays media mogul Logan Roy in the HBO series “Succession,” to make “demeaning and disparaging statements about Natale” in a viral video. In the video, Cox congratulated Edward Rogers on his “real-life succession” at Rogers. Natale’s statement alleges the video went viral after initially being distributed to family and friends.'

https://www.thestar.com/business/for...9d7755438.html

Rogers is a publicly traded, albeit uniquely structured, entity and still... Whereas MLSE is a private corporation, so Ed's touch and reach should be par for the course...

' "Several directors that are on these types of boards have told me that their role as a director is to give counsel, but at the end of the day, the founder has the authority and you owe your board seat to founder, so its founder's way or the highway," said Leblanc. This can be especially true at a company like Rogers, where an unconventional corporate governance structure, little turnover and a lack of independent committees and chairs offer fewer checks and balances, he said. "They have directors on the board that are over-tenured, that have been there longer than nine years or significantly longer," Leblanc said. "I think one director, who is a former politician, has been on the board 30 years." '

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/edwa...firm-1.5634169
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 08-20-2023 at 03:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know there is little appetite or appreciation for my suggestion that there are connects of interactions and relationships between segments of MLSE basketball and association football through MUjiri. Particularly, involving his Giants Of Africa/Festival initiative and PMotsepe with the CAF, but IMO, in Africa, they are interwoven within circles of the same ecosystems. Anyways, some of the latest....

https://twitter.com/YELL0MAN/status/1691986659527545227

https://twitter.com/alexi_rwanda/sta...37559603642703

https://twitter.com/murmpa85/status/1691035626647191553

https://twitter.com/CAF_Media/status...32219633729536

https://www.sabcnews.com/sabcnews/ca...vement-awards/

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well MLSE today announced they have pulled out of the bidding process to bring a WNBA team to Toronto. What sticks out is why, the board can not agree on things and are simply not at the same page.

Toronto’s WNBA expansion in doubt; MLSE pulls out of bidding (thestar.com)

There are several issues at play, the sources said.

The expected $50 million (U.S.) price tag — payable in 10 $5 million increments one source said — was a factor as were differences of opinion at the highest level of MLSE ownership.

Larry Tanenbaum is selling off a small portion of his stake in the company, Rogers family scion Edward Rogers is flexing more muscle at the board level and the organization isn’t fully together on the issue.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the Leafs and Raptors both have bad seasons, then I think that might indicate that even getting rid of Manning, the rot would continue. I'd expect Ujiri is the canary in the coal mine - if he bails on the organization, we should abandon hope of things getting better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This ERogers consolidation of power with the likes of a ‘Special Advisor To The CEO/RCI’ David Miller will only hurt TFC/MLSE in the end…

https://www.mlse.com/our-company/board-of-directors

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...ts-mlse-board/

https://www.thestar.com/business/rog...edium=business

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^
    I am a little surprised, given the coincidence in timing, between their WNBA decision and the resignation of the only woman on the MLSE Board, that this was not a more discussed angle of the reported story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, this is so interesting; spicey. With a possible early 2026 MLSE showdown looming around the corner and speculation that LTanenbaum was ownership exiting the corporation and retiring from Toronto sports franchise business rather then get into a shareholders fight and competitive situation at his age, it may longer be the case. Rather, he seems to be picking up and pursuing abandoned MLSE interests. Waiting to see what happens next. In business, sometimes you have to go along to get along. This is LT maintaining, even strengthening, his NBA relationships.

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 03-05-2024 at 08:20 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    IMO, this is so interesting; spicey. With a possible early 2026 MLSE showdown looming around the corner and speculation that LTanenbaum was ownership exiting the corporation and retiring from Toronto sports franchise business rather then get into a shareholders fight and competitive situation at his age, it may longer be the case. Rather, he seems to be picking up and pursuing abandoned MLSE interests. Waiting to see what happens next. In business, sometimes you have to go along to get along. This is LT maintaining, even strengthening, his NBA relationships.

Looks like Ivan Gazidis is joining Tannenbaum's group as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

will this affect TFC at all?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This might. Wow! Something is simmering. If not domestically, maybe internationally/Europe.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a football man in charge of the whole thing can only be good for TFC, yes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=MikeForbes;2002370]Looks like Ivan Gazidis is joining Tannenbaum's group as well.

Missed your post, before posting similar. IMO, this development is potentially massive. The WNBA Nee NBA connect/relationship is important; yet believe something else is going on. Maybe OMERS eventually getting full on into the football business?
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 03-05-2024 at 12:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Mr. Inbetween;2002385]
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Looks like Ivan Gazidis is joining Tannenbaum's group as well.

Missed your post, before posting similar. IMO, this development is potentially massive. The WNBA Nee NBA connect/relationship is important; yet believe something else is going on. Maybe OMERS eventually getting full on into the football business?
    His few years at AC Milan really saw them return back to the top of SerieA. This is a nice development.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The WNBA is in play but I think Larry has something else up his sleeve with Ivan Gazidis on board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Stick View Post
    The WNBA is in play but I think Larry has something else up his sleeve with Ivan Gazidis on board.
    Yea, buying a European club under Kilmer.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Stick View Post
    Could be the project8 team? Seems inline with WNBA.

https://www.afctorontocity.ca/
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE isn't a part of Kilmer Sports. It's a separate entity owned by Larry Tanenbaum ('though. to confuse matters, he does own his 25% steak in MLSE through Kilmer). So, unfortunately, I don't believe Gazidis' arrival in Toronto will affect TFC whatsoever.