Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    What happened... happened. For all of it, in short, the blame should lie upon a handful of our supporters and a handful of theirs. However, if the highlighted is accurate, is the responsibility for some of what occurred then shared by the TFC/MLSE organization? Some CFMTL camp chatter seems to suggest so...

There's always security and cops up there when away fans show. Not this time. Somebody screwed this up. Probably the security company.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    No, he adopted it at New York and became a Rangnick/Red Bull disciple. But he also lost a lot of games at Montreal. Doubtless working with Saputo is not easy.
    The Germans hadn’t invented Gegenpress yet, so yup, he wasn’t doing that yet. Marsch had an older team in Montreal. Di Vaio, Nesta, Bernier. Other guys in their 30s from Italy, I don’t remember who exactly.

Marsch was a Bradley disciple originally, he was Bob's USMNT assistant. Something to keep an eye on.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAM View Post
    The commentators mentioned something about this being TFC’s first loss at home to MTL in the Canadian Championship ever….. with what has to be 5x their payroll that’s very damning.
    That is, wildly, incorrect.

Montreal won it here in 2008 and 2019. The 2008 win was a major upset. (I was, sadly, there both times.)
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The worst part of this is we haven't even hit rock bottom yet...we'll keep losing.

Such an unispired effort, players going throught the motions...a team completely rebuilt on a fraction of our budget, comes in and humilates us....and yet, some think clueless bradley deserves "more time"?

Enough is enough. Bradley and manning out.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    There's always security and cops up there when away fans show. Not this time. Somebody screwed this up. Probably the security company.

That's on TFC/MLSE to ensure the security company is aware of the potential.

My bigger worry is there will likely be reprisal attempts on Saturday - and their security is notoriously shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something doesn't seem right about that away supporter video.

Anyone else wondering why a) the Montreal supporter taking the video is totally unscathed, and b) why they are filming and not helping their friends?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    That is, wildly, incorrect.

Montreal won it here in 2008 and 2019. The 2008 win was a major upset. (I was, sadly, there both times.)
    Yeah I was going to say I was at the finals when they won here on penalties in 2019 when Oso hit the post. Actually going back to look at it, Altidore (hit crossbar), Mullins (saved down the middle) and Oso (hit the post). Poz was the only one to convert.
    so yes the commentators are incorrect.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Very poor and frustrating officiating! On the free kick before CFMTL's break-out and goal, I believe Brault-Guillard is way way off the line and actually moves before the strike and blocks it; should have been whistled back and re-took. IIUC, BB references this in his post match presser. Regardless, TFC were defensively positioned wrong during that play. .
    I didn't catch the post game presser. However when that play happened I was shocked they didn't call it back for a retake of the free kick. I went back at halftime to check and he took about two steps before Fede hit the ball and blocked it. You can even see it in the highlights video, when Fede hits the ball Brault-Guillard was running into Sapong.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post

Anyone else wondering why a) the Montreal supporter taking the video is totally unscathed, and b) why they are filming and not helping their friends?

Standing near taking video instead of getting pummelled was probably a wiser choice & is usually the suggested approach to these things.

Don't engage - document.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 05-10-2023 at 08:48 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 613reppingTFC View Post
    I didn't catch the post game presser. However when that play happened I was shocked they didn't call it back for a retake of the free kick. I went back at halftime to check and he took about two steps before Fede hit the ball and blocked it. You can even see it in the highlights video, when Fede hits the ball Brault-Guillard was running into Sapong.
    There were a few things like that.

I know refs gotta experience things to get better but there are Canadian Pro level refs that should have done that game - they are used to the speed & discuss the situations every week with film & directives. CPL level guys may not even see film.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Standing near taking video instead of getting pummelled was probably a wiser choice & is usually the suggested approach to these things.

Don't engage - document.
    Yeah no false flag here plus just because a group of supporters go to an away match doesn't mean they're all friends or of the same mindset. Some guys might be up for this kind of stuff but the more sensible ones would do exactly what this guy did who filmed it did. Document, put it on social media, call out the home team's management (who dropped the ball on the field and off last night).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno...call me old school but I don't find it sensible to stand by and do nothing (except pull out a phone) when you can do something to help...and I am not saying that something has to be fighting.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno...call me old school but I don't find it sensible to stand by and do nothing (except pull out a phone) when you can do something to help...and I am not saying that something has to be fighting.
    In some cases filming something is helping because the people that need to be charged get charged because of the footage or pics. But only people that were there really know what happened exactly. Maybe it was two groups that wanted to fight each other which does happen in football stadiums. Why should someone who doesn't want to be involved now get into it? Can't really make judgement calls on people without knowing all the facts I think. From 114 I saw people running down the stairs when it started so was assuming they were running to go get security (which should have already been there). Likely all that could be done by those not involved was done. It was just up to BMO security and police to get their asses up there. When the second fight broke out I went to the 114 security and asked them if they even have anyone up there and if they have radios or something to report it. The guy just turned to be and "ahhh it will be alright". What kind of stupid answer was that. Looked like police finally showed up almost 20 min later. Big screwup with security from TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is the way society works now- fire in the TTC stand and record instead of evacuating.

someone being killed in the streets- stand by and record while person gasps for air.

unfortunately this is where we are- to be honest kinda sums everything up-

manning is the guy recording while all his friends cause needless chaos.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This security incident makes me think of something a guy named Herb Kelleher (founder of Southwest Airlines, amazing person) said a long time ago...

"If you see coffee stains on the tray tables, it makes you wonder about the engine maintenance"

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This security incident makes me think of something a guy named Herb Kelleher (founder of Southwest Airlines, amazing person) said a long time ago...

"If you see coffee stains on the tray tables, it makes you wonder about the engine maintenance"

I'd be thinking - WC games in this place in 3 years & we have that attitude about security...something needs to be looked at.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be thinking - WC games in this place in 3 years & we have that attitude about security...something needs to be looked at.
    To be fair, this security company is pretty shit. They are massively disorganized and I've seen people walking in with bottles of Jamiesons and Smirnoff. They're not checking shit.

I am assuming MLSE did what the government does when contracting out: cheapest company wins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Germans hadn’t invented Gegenpress yet, so yup, he wasn’t doing that yet. Marsch had an older team in Montreal. Di Vaio, Nesta, Bernier. Other guys in their 30s from Italy, I don’t remember who exactly.

Marsch was a Bradley disciple originally, he was Bob's USMNT assistant. Something to keep an eye on.
    Not to overstate it, but our team is something unique in MLS. It’s Canadian, multicultural fanbase, high budget, more public profile than most franchises, and just is a different operating environment than the rest of the league.

If we go American again, I hope it’s someone young enough to learn and not be set in their ways. Because I feel like the pure Americana approach is the wrong one.

I much prefer the idea of having international management and supporting them with some North American staff that have in-market experience. Respond to the environment we’re in and use it to make the club successful. Nobody has done it yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small correction: Ralf Rangnick invented and started using Gegenpress in Germany in the Eighties (he actually stole it off a Soviet coach he lost to). It didn't flourish in popularity until Red Bull took him on as sporting director much later, however.

My take would be that most of the Red Bull managers and admirers who adopted it have dropped large elements of it, particularly the narrow 4-2-2-2 that Marsch prefers. Most are like Klopp and Guardiola now, using high, quick presses but also using wider formations with more flexibility.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't engage - document.
    Well, I stepped into protect someone in a bar fight once and got stabbed for it, spent a year in rehab.

I'd still do it again. If someone's going to get seriously hurt or killed, you step in and take the risk, I figure.

Not sure this was anything close to that.

(I lost sensation in the top half of the middle finger of my right hand. The dude I was stepping in to protect was tiny and terrified, and the guy was trying to cut his throat. Mine too, I just underestimated his zeal. Put a hand up to block it and got a filleting blade across the middle knuckle, down to the bone. Dude saw what he'd done and took off. Ah, rural Minnesota. What a shitty dive you are. I got some revenge years later by mocking the town endlessly in the tenth Quinn book.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Not to overstate it, but our team is something unique in MLS. It’s Canadian, multicultural fanbase, high budget, more public profile than most franchises, and just is a different operating environment than the rest of the league.

If we go American again, I hope it’s someone young enough to learn and not be set in their ways. Because I feel like the pure Americana approach is the wrong one.

I much prefer the idea of having international management and supporting them with some North American staff that have in-market experience. Respond to the environment we’re in and use it to make the club successful. Nobody has done it yet.
    I believe it's a generational thing. All of this current crop of "preferred" MLS U.S. coaches are Bob and Bruce disciples, basically. They all played for Bob in Chicago and he was Bruce's assistant in DC, or they played for Bob or Bruce on the national team, or at Galaxy.

Curtin, Marsch, Porter, Berhalter Cherundolo, Armas. Robin Fraser was an assistant at Chivas, Vanney was then an assistant to Fraser at CHivas before htey folded, Fraser was then an assistant to Vanney when they came to TFC.

It's all pretty incestuous. They also collectively don't have the most amazing track record. Add it all up and they've collectively coached dozens of seasons with I think (outside Arena) a whopping three titles between them.

Meanwhile, Losada is showing DC was idiotic (which seemed obvious from the complaints and his track record), Nancy is showing coaches from outside MLS can fit in very quickly -- he was Henry's assistant for ONE season, I believe.

Manning's best bet is to NOT pick any of these guys. When we brought in Winter he clearly wasn't ready to manage... so they stuck him with Mariner (RIP) who undermined him constantly until he had the job. He'd been Nicol's assistant at New England.

More backstabbing, more MLS coaches, no results.

The same thing is about to happen in Chicago, where Frank Klopas -- who I have it on authority from an ex-MLS player who is a friend of mine and had business dealings with Frank, is a total prick, and dishonest to boot -- just took charge. He was Hendrickson's assistant. Klopas is an old MLS 1.0 manager who has flamed out twice before.

MLS eats itself.
    Last edited by jloome; 05-10-2023 at 10:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you thinking Bob could split the manager and sporting director jobs and hire Marsch for the manager role? That's an interesting thought.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Are you thinking Bob could split the manager and sporting director jobs and hire Marsch for the manager role? That's an interesting thought.
    This is what I have been expecting but with Berhalter for months now but it's not a good plan and will most likely fail.

Which means it's probably the first thing Manning thought of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I believe it's a generational thing. All of this current crop of "preferred" MLS U.S. coaches are Bob and Bruce disciples, basically. They all played for Bob in Chicago and he was Bruce's assistant in DC, or they played for Bob or Bruce on the national team, or at Galaxy.

Curtin, Marsch, Porter, Berhalter Cherundolo, Armas. Robin Fraser was an assistant at Chivas, Vanney was then an assistant to Fraser at CHivas before htey folded, Fraser was then an assistant to Vanney when they came to TFC.

It's all pretty incestuous. They also collectively don't have the most amazing track record. Add it all up and they've collectively coached dozens of seasons with I think (outside Arena) a whopping three titles between them.

Meanwhile, Losada is showing DC was idiotic (which seemed obvious from the complaints and his track record), Nancy is showing coaches from outside MLS can fit in very quickly -- he was Henry's assistant for ONE season, I believe.

Manning's best bet is to NOT pick any of these guys. When we brought in Winter he clearly wasn't ready to manage... so they stuck him with Mariner (RIP) who undermined him constantly until he had the job. He'd been Nicol's assistant at New England.

More backstabbing, more MLS coaches, no results.

The same thing is about to happen in Chicago, where Frank Klopas -- who I have it on authority from an ex-MLS player who is a friend of mine and had business dealings with Frank, is a total prick, and dishonest to boot -- just took charge. He was Hendrickson's assistant. Klopas is an old MLS 1.0 manager who has flamed out twice before.

MLS eats itself.
    Frank Klopas is back? Wow. He was awful several iterations of MLS ago. Must be dire to be a Chicago fan.

Agreed with all your post. Bring me the next Nancy, not another Bob or Bruce clone.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Frank Klopas is back? Wow. He was awful several iterations of MLS ago. Must be dire to be a Chicago fan.
    It's rumored they are waiting for Curtain to be out of contract so they went the interim route but there had to be better than Klopas surely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's rumored they are waiting for Curtain to be out of contract so they went the interim route but there had to be better than Klopas surely.
    Well that’s hopeful at least. The two biggest missed opportunities in MLS IMO is NE not having a real stadium and Chicago being poorly managed for so long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW…

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Yeah I posted it when Marsch got fired. I saw that then.

Ultra had the better version of this idea, a few days ago, I now think. Manning will do it with Vanney instead - because everybody would be more "comfortable".

That is what it's about, folks, btw - what makes the suits comfortable. It was ever thus.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ultra had the better version of this idea, a few days ago, I now think. Manning will do it with Vanney instead - because everybody would be more "comfortable".

That is what it's about, folks, btw - what makes the suits comfortable. It was ever thus.
    Well Vanney will probably be sacked after this weekend, if he makes it that far so it lines up with what I expect to be a debacle in Montreal.

FWIW I really, really don't want this but like ensco said the comfortability factor plus the laziness & PR factors make this seem like the odds on favorite unless Manning is sent to the curb before he gets a chance to do it.

And if it happens it probably would mean Vanney gets his sporting director/GM tag he always wanted which is also no good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Vanney will probably be sacked after this weekend, if he makes it that far so it lines up with what I expect to be a debacle in Montreal.

FWIW I really, really don't want this but like ensco said the comfortability factor plus the laziness & PR factors make this seem like the odds on favorite unless Manning is sent to the curb before he gets a chance to do it.

And if it happens it probably would mean Vanney gets his sporting director/GM tag he always wanted which is also no good.
    You're both depressing the shit out of me. I'm trying to credit Manning with being smarter than this. I'm really trying.