Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will really be telling if at some point this morning the Reds announce a short term signing to fill out the 18 for tonight? That will tell us how injured this team really is.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    The thing is, the hardcores make up a fair chunk of their season ticket base. .
    The season ticket base is 21k

Going to a game soon abuses me of the idea that the hardcore is the base.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, look its a

GAME DAY

(My Toronto till I die includes supporting the team in games after crap underwhelming performances)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

The Tfc subreddit has 19k subs. Not all are SSHs of course (not by a long shot), but add in here, other forums and twitter and social media starts to account for a very very very healthy %, much more than something like the leafs

The fact that the ratings tell us that nobody, like nobody, watched Tfc on tv says our casual fan base is pretty small and we're a niche team that appeals mostly to more hardcore fans. Not exclusively, but I think the fan base skews far far far more that way, and is represented more online, than nearly any major sports team

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of tickets are owned by people and businesses who entertain clients. Especially in the boxes or the premium seats. That's why with warm sunny weather the stadium is full and on cold rainy evenings it's empty. Hardcore fans show up when it's less than ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    The Tfc subreddit has 19k subs. Not all are SSHs of course (not by a long shot), but add in here, other forums and twitter and social media starts to account for a very very very healthy %, much more than something like the leafs

The fact that the ratings tell us that nobody, like nobody, watched Tfc on tv says our casual fan base is pretty small and we're a niche team that appeals mostly to more hardcore fans. Not exclusively, but I think the fan base skews far far far more that way, and is represented more online, than nearly any major sports team
    Casual fans aren't on sub reddits discussing a team that they are only slightly into. That's me with the Jays. I've been to a few games, I've never discussed, Tweeted, or otherwise expressed on social media any opinion about the Jays. I admit I don't know much about baseball. TFC has people like that too. More than you might think.

So if TFC loses this particular game to a championship that casuals barely understand, it's not going to result in a coach being fired.

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    If this is so I’d be surprised if most people are brooding over who our coach is or even what our record is exactly. It is true that people tend to like to associate with winners. If the Jays are any indication with all those many seats that are sold only when the team is winning. But not necessarily sold to those who know much about baseball.

The E in MLSE is entertainment… which is to say “popular entertainment” and in this town that isn’t necessarily football itself but the football “experience”. (To use that word in the most crass way.)
    If TFC is a bottom feeder at or near the end of the season they might do something. They have investments to recoup.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 05-09-2023 at 08:47 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rarely go to Leafs games but when I do it is just because I happen to get tickets from someone. I don't really know the players at all these days except a couple they use in marketing so are better known names. I don't know the standings and as much as I hope they win while I am there I also don't put too much thought into it if they don't. I just have a good night out. I also remember about 10 years ago being at a Raptors game with a friend for the first time just for the outing and had him explain to me the rules and terms used while we were there. Went to many Raptors games after that but for the most part a good night out was the only requirement. I am sure when it comes to soccer there are many like me with those other sports. When I think of it that way I can see why it is the way it is with many fans in the stadium. We also have weather involved which plays a part for the casual fan.

But for us hardcore, game day and a chance to beat Montreal. We better get the win or else

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assume this is onesoccer only? Have been trying to google to no avail yet...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    One Soccer, or better yet Fubo (which carries all One Soccer matches).
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    A lot of tickets are owned by people and businesses who entertain clients. Especially in the boxes or the premium seats. That's why with warm sunny weather the stadium is full and on cold rainy evenings it's empty. Hardcore fans show up when it's less than ideal.

Casual fans aren't on sub reddits discussing a team that they are only slightly into. That's me with the Jays. I've been to a few games, I've never discussed, Tweeted, or otherwise expressed on social media any opinion about the Jays. I admit I don't know much about baseball. TFC has people like that too. More than you might think.

So if TFC loses this particular game to a championship that casuals barely understand, it's not going to result in a coach being fired.

If TFC is a bottom feeder at or near the end of the season they might do something. They have investments to recoup.
    The casual numbers in the season ticket base are irrelevant compared to the hardcores; if the casuals think the soccer is bad and don't like losing, they'll stop renewing very quickly and their ranks in our current numbers will quickly become irrelevant.

They've had a treble in recent history. In Toronto, that's probably good for five to 10 years of solid loyalty. But this isn't the leafs. IF they keep losing, the casuals are the FIRST people who will cancel their season tickets, not the last.

Casuals go to things because they're fun; a losing team that plays badly and gets booed for it isn't fun.

You think the spectacle of a 31-year-old Insigne putting one shot of seven on net is going to get them out? I don't think so.
    Last edited by jloome; 05-09-2023 at 10:04 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Yeah they have these competitions. I see it on the FuboTV schedule on the OneSoccer channel. If you don't want to sign up for the year on FuboTV or OneSoccer there used to be a day pass on OneSoccer to stream for the day for about $5 if I recall. I have had FuboTV ever since they added OneSoccer and now they have EPL as well so even better for the annual price.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The casual numbers in the season ticket base are irrelevant compared to the hardcores; if the casuals think the soccer is bad and don't like losing, they'll stop renewing very quickly ......

I doubt that or they would have left last year.

This team doesn't play badly/defensively. It can't score but when it does, its fun to watch. This isnt Preki ball. Right now, we are still a nice quick night out for adults or somebody taking a kid and knowing its past their bed time but so what.

I had a 5 year old behind me on Saturday - in 116. 4 teenagers beside me in some Dad's seats. A senior couple two rows in front. The Asian family with SS to my left. 10 rows up from the jumping up and down Kings of the North. This isn't the 500 level Friday night Jays thing nor is it hardcore reddit people nor is it Leafs games or CFL games out west. This isn't superclassico South America or English League. Its a VERY different crowd. They go for the game, hope its good & for the night out. They don't give a crap about tactics. They want to see good local soccer. The closest thing I would say it is to is Junior A hockey or 21K of lower league (Conference North level) support.

They go because its soccer, local, relatively cheap & its still an event.

NOW...if the team doesn't make the playoffs this year, that might change. But it ain't changing mid season.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 05-09-2023 at 10:30 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Nigel Reed is calling one game of the 2 at 7 tonight.

Would be nice if it was him calling the TFC game.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt that or they would have left last year.
    It just takes longer. Remember: this club was sold out for its first five years. They were terrible. The sellouts ended. That's why we ended up with Lieweke, Bez et al in the first place. The Bloody Big Deal was important because attendances were declining, season tickets were declining.

So it will happen. It just takes longer in Toronto than smaller cities because the level of other options and distractedness always slightly negates or mutes the passion.

It is not a good sign that for multiple home games, scores of free tickets have been offered by fans on Reddit's r/tfc. We even had one on this site last week. Not cheap, free. Season ticket holders just can't be bothered to go.

There's no economic system anywhere where apathy doesn't eventually lead to ruin.
    Last edited by jloome; 05-09-2023 at 11:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Nigel Reed is calling one game of the 2 at 7 tonight.

Would be nice if it was him calling the TFC game.....
    He's a solid pro. He's never been spectacular but he's also never bad. Given his pedigree I'm surprised Apple didn't pick him up. Perhaps he didn't want to travel all over the U.S. every weekend. I did his show with Bob Iarusci once as the guest. He seemed very nice, very engaged.

I understand they were interested in Wileman but HBO offered him a better gig, so he's going to be doing US men's team games for HBO Max while also still working for TSN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if Oso and Richie aren't able to go, who are our 3 Canadians to start? I assume that rule is still in place. Kaye, Franklin and maybe Akinola? Maybe JMR?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    So if Oso and Richie aren't able to go, who are our 3 Canadians to start? I assume that rule is still in place. Kaye, Franklin and maybe Akinola? Maybe JMR?
    Hoping Richie can go. Otherwise it’s a tough one - after being short wingers and strikers and now for the first time having them healthy, it would be weird to have to sit someone so Akinola plays. Petretta sounded like he might be back as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Ayo or Jordan up top.

I suspect it might be Peruzza. I think Bob, from his comments, sees Ayo as more a wide forward than a number nine, which is what he was prior to the MLSISBACK thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's a solid pro. He's never been spectacular but he's also never bad. Given his pedigree I'm surprised Apple didn't pick him up. Perhaps he didn't want to travel all over the U.S. every weekend. I did his show with Bob Iarusci once as the guest. He seemed very nice, very engaged.

I understand they were interested in Wileman but HBO offered him a better gig, so he's going to be doing US men's team games for HBO Max while also still working for TSN.
    Apple TV is a bit like the internet/digital world overall. If there is history it’s often random or without context (and hence not really history). So far we’ve had different commentators every time I’ve watched. Often they don’t seem to know well the teams they are calling.

But more than than, in sports, watching one’s own team meant hearing your own voice (sometimes the voice of the national network). The voices were continuous with the fans and sometimes even meant more than the players. To think of Canada, what would the significance of Foster Hewitt or Danny Gallivan if they’d had to work 30 teams broadcasts?

I think Reed’s always been our strongest play by play voice. Maybe not more than a solid professional but one I could listen to easily and who more or less dignifies the games he calls. Maybe he could speak a bit less, but I get adapting from Brit radio to Canadian TV.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ayo or Jordan up top.

I suspect it might be Peruzza. I think Bob, from his comments, sees Ayo as more a wide forward than a number nine, which is what he was prior to the MLSISBACK thing.
    I don’t know, if he really thought of Ayo as a wide player why did he settle on Oso there? Oso who isn’t a wide player. Not that he won’t try him there again, but to me it sounded like something to save face (for management and the player) - justify still having him on the roster when bringing in yet another new striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need help. I transferred tickets for tonight’s game to someone. On my end it shows that the transfer went through. On her end she can’t access the tickets. Will the ticket booth outside the stadium be able to sort this out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    I don’t know, if he really thought of Ayo as a wide player why did he settle on Oso there? Oso who isn’t a wide player. Not that he won’t try him there again, but to me it sounded like something to save face (for management and the player) - justify still having him on the roster when bringing in yet another new striker.
    Because Oso is a better player.

He also started Ayo there, prior to Oso. He didn't do very well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because Oso is a better player.

He also started Ayo there, prior to Oso. He didn't do very well.
    Yeah, I know. The point is he hasn’t done well there and was dropped even after training there in preseason for a player that isn’t a winger and wasn’t doing very well either. I guess this means mostly Ayo should be bought out.

Tough though to finally have healthy and preferred strikers and have to drop them to start a Canadian who isn’t scoring. How long do the three have to play before they can be replaced by non Canadians?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I need help. I transferred tickets for tonight’s game to someone. On my end it shows that the transfer went through. On her end she can’t access the tickets. Will the ticket booth outside the stadium be able to sort this out?
    I wish I could help you. That happened to me also. Unfortunately my friend hasn’t been back since and ticketmaster refused to offer any sort of refund. Get there as early as you can and hope someone can be found to sort it out. Good luck!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Yes normally will call booth at the north end of the stadium is pretty solid at fixing these issues. Your friend should have email confirmation of the transfer which should be enough paper trail for them especially if they have your personal info email etc. to back it up

I just had the same thing happen but the ticket showed up after 15 minutes so hopefully it's just a slow systems night.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm...there is a pregame.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal lineup - not weak

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our lineup - also not weak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Petretta may have started over Franklin if not for the Canadian thing.

Other then that yea strongest XI we have with our injuries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If ever something said two teams struggling, its having an early-round cup match-up in which they play mostly starters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have a stream, feel free to share.

https://sportshub.fan/event/toronto_montreal_132362023/
    Last edited by ronzilla; 05-09-2023 at 05:23 PM.