Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In actual game news (we have what.....4 threads now discussing BB & BM)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many Cdns do we need to field?
    With OSO out....the starting 11 could be a problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WTF? Now O’Neill too?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    WTF? Now O’Neill too?
    He pulled something during the game, which was why Mabika came on for his debut.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He pulled something during the game, which was why Mabika came on for his debut.
    Yes, after match chatter about a pulled muscle, but I was selfishly hoping it was just more of a bad cramp than a strain.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luanda View Post
    How many Cdns do we need to field?
    With OSO out....the starting 11 could be a problem.
    https://canadasoccer.com/events/cana...#section_about

Canadian content is a focus of the competition and since 2017, regulations state that each team must field a minimum of three eligible Canadian Internationals as starters for each match.

Kaye, Franklin & Laryea would do it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    In actual game news (we have what.....4 threads now discussing BB & BM)

Can Hedges please be back for Saturday? Our injuries this season are ridiculous.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just win. The amount of money on this team. Just win this tournament.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://canadasoccer.com/events/cana...#section_about

Kaye, Franklin & Laryea would do it

That’s right. Those three suggestions would be my selection. Still, IIUC, the key phrase is ‘as starters’! I think, technically, any or all of those players could be subbed out immediately after a start by BB if he had to? Given the ‘more recent’ five substitutions rule, TFC may have some needed flexibility from a historic perspective against the traditional three substitution situation.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 05-08-2023 at 12:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    That’s right. Those three suggestions would be my selection. Still, IIUC, the key phrase is ‘as starters’! I think, technically, those players could be subbed out immediately after a start by BB if he had to? Given the ‘more recent’ five substitutions rule, TFC may have some needed flexibility from a historic perspective against the traditional three substitution situation.
    I think we might see Guti make an appearance in this match for Franklin (or Laryea).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Richie is banged up now too

Ugh...just ugh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Richie is banged up now too

Ugh...just ugh.
    What the fuck is going on? We get so little info but there has to be an explanation for practically every important starter taking pulls or knocks this early in the year and being INCAPACITATED.

Like, what the fuck is going on? These numbers are ridiculous.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What the fuck is going on? We get so little info but there has to be an explanation for practically every important starter taking pulls or knocks this early in the year and being INCAPACITATED.

Lower Body FC conitunes working towards a full infirmary XI.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Circumstances, fate, conveniently dousing the potential for a raging dumpster fire; BB gots the horseshoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Lower Body FC conitunes working towards a full infirmary XI.
    Apropos! Brilliant!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is what happens when neither of the two dailies in Canada's largest city have someone on the TFC beat. Both the Sun and Star have been using Neil's CP copy recently. Beezer retired from The Sun at the end of March and The Star has not had one for a few years. It not anyone like John or Michael's fault who cover this team on a daily basis but there is nor pressure to break stories and MLSE knows it, so they can control the narrative.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    That is what happens when neither of the two dailies in Canada's largest city have someone on the TFC beat. Both the Sun and Star have been using Neil's CP copy recently. Beezer retired from The Sun at the end of March and The Star has not had one for a few years. It not anyone like John or Michael's fault who cover this team on a daily basis but there is nor pressure to break stories and MLSE knows it, so they can control the narrative.
    Yes, they just have no idea of that control’s value, or what to do with it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, they just have no idea of that control’s value, or what to do with it.
    Assume it is because they are used to Maple Leafs where each writer/media outlet is trying to outdo each other on a daily basis. In a conversation once with a national columnist he said it could be nuts for him to take a local Leaf beat gig because of the the pressures to break stuff, and some of the things you have to write about like chasing down each and every minor boo boo a player suffers.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    Curious why you think the sentiment around SSH is more pro Bob Bradley? That doesn't seem to be the case where I am, or on any other form of social media

Agree on mlse boardz though
    Most random fans outside of some in the hardcore aren't so laser focused on BB. In fact they tend to focus on players rather than on coaching. They aren't pro or con BB, they don't think about him much at all.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Most random fans outside of some in the hardcore aren't so laser focused on BB. In fact they tend to focus on players rather than on coaching. They aren't pro or con BB, they don't think about him much at all.
    It's starting though. I see grumblings now on all TFC posts across social media.

He is getting the blame for trading for Sappong since that was a largley unpopular move amongst the regular fans. Since most of them don't understand windows and such they see it as screwing us for the year with Sappong when Messi was available (or similar).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You may be right, but how do you know? I agree social media etc aren't reflective of general sentiment as it self selects to a certain type of person, but I don't see how you can speak for 25-30,000 people with any confidence, either. We've no idea what the general fan sentiment is, there's no way to know. Certainly, the SSHs i stand with and know are usually very reactionary and basically 'sack the coach' as a default even earlier than most on this board, but that's also not enough of a sample size to infer anything about the masses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Richie also? Jesus, I hope not. “And one or two unnamed players.” We’re already starting two rookies with less than, what, seven career starts? And adding Maibike into central defence who arrived in Toronto last week and sounds like a project.

It no doubt is true Bob’s system is inflexible and demands technical ability, serious working together within the group… and even so can be upset (with Vanney we always seemed to be resilient enough to do it against LAFC when the chips were down). But if half the team’s starting eleven are rookies and guys that arrived in town a couple of weeks ago plus others who have had only a match or three this season one can’t really expect a lot of “real chemistry” as MAK put it.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 05-08-2023 at 02:54 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard one guy on Saturday say "Seba would have made that" for the Insigne free kicks - that's more the thinking that goes on.
    This made me laugh. Haha. I was at the Canada-Honduras game and there was a group of guys there and it was one guy's first game watching soccer live. His buddy goes "If you like this, you should come to TFC games. It is just as fun but much cheaper because they suck". LOL...some people have no clue.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    This made me laugh. Haha. I was at the Canada-Honduras game and there was a group of guys there and it was one guy's first game watching soccer live. His buddy goes "If you like this, you should come to TFC games. It is just as fun but much cheaper because they suck". LOL...some people have no clue.

Funny thing is, and this is from my thoughts in the south, a lot of people go to TFC games who don't seem to cry tears if they lose - not enjoy it as much and its more fun if they win but I don't see many people looking like they are going home to kick the dog & beat up the wife based on the result. (that is an obvious extreme -no implications to anybody here - this forum is passionate and that is cool but I don't think any of you are THAT nuts to think a TFC result is a personal make or break point for life)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    You may be right, but how do you know? I agree social media etc aren't reflective of general sentiment as it self selects to a certain type of person, but I don't see how you can speak for 25-30,000 people with any confidence, either. We've no idea what the general fan sentiment is, there's no way to know. Certainly, the SSHs i stand with and know are usually very reactionary and basically 'sack the coach' as a default even earlier than most on this board, but that's also not enough of a sample size to infer anything about the masses
    Of course I haven't asked 30,000 people. It's not a scientific survey, I just have contacts with a sample of "less involved" people who occasionally attend a few games per season. Not SSH, not hardcore, but like an occasional match. Most clubs in the world have people like that and they are a valid part of what helps a club be part of a community. For years I've been aware of a disconnect between the hardcore and supporters vs the casual fans.

You can believe my informal "survey" is accurate or not. That's the great thing, football is about opinions.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course I haven't asked 30,000 people. It's not a scientific survey, I just have contacts with a sample of "less involved" people who occasionally attend a few games per season. Not SSH, not hardcore, but like an occasional match. Most clubs in the world have people like that and they are a valid part of what helps a club be part of a community. For years I've been aware of a disconnect between the hardcore and supporters vs the casual fans.

You can believe my informal "survey" is accurate or not. That's the great thing, football is about opinions.
    The thing is, the hardcores make up a fair chunk of their season ticket base. Go on Reddit r/tfc right now; I think they're up to four separate Bob/Manning out threads already. I'm not sure they can both survive much past July if this keeps up.

If we lose two to Montreal, an actual outpouring of disgust will likely start, and casuals will be far less inclined to go.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny thing is, and this is from my thoughts in the south, a lot of people go to TFC games who don't seem to cry tears if they lose - not enjoy it as much and its more fun if they win but I don't see many people looking like they are going home to kick the dog & beat up the wife based on the result. (that is an obvious extreme -no implications to anybody here - this forum is passionate and that is cool but I don't think any of you are THAT nuts to think a TFC result is a personal make or break point for life)
    I certainly hope nobody takes it that serious. I see the majority having fun win or lose too. Disappointed maybe but nothing too extreme luckily. These games don’t even tend to have the best attendance so not even sure the casual soccer fan in TO take it too seriously.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we lose two to Montreal, an actual outpouring of disgust will likely start, and casuals will be far less inclined to go.
    We lose these two and I think the mood at the next home match will be toxic. With a possibility of protest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    We lose these two and I think the mood at the next home match will be toxic. With a possibility of protest.
    Pitchforks of loud and constant booing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually look for tickets in the same few sections on the same side of the stadium and I don’t know why it surprises me but it’s rare that the folks around me seem to know very specifically about what they are watching. I mean that they might know football or they might not know it, but either way it doesn’t seem as if they know who more than a few players are at best. (Certainly the number of Italians has increased but they might know of only the two Italians.)

Also, a large number of people spend a lot of time either showing up late, leaving early or spending so much time in food and beer lines, etc that they miss quite a few minutes of the part of the game that they actually do attend. None of this feels like the ‘life and death’ sort of stuff of the serious fan. Maybe they could be doing anything with their time and money, it just happens to be a soccer match this time.

If this is so I’d be surprised if most people are brooding over who our coach is or even what our record is exactly. It is true that people tend to like to associate with winners. If the Jays are any indication with all those many seats that are sold only when the team is winning. But not necessarily sold to those who know much about baseball.

The E in MLSE is entertainment… which is to say “popular entertainment” and in this town that isn’t necessarily football itself but the football “experience”. (To use that word in the most crass way.)