Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1115
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well it's about bloody time.

No disrespect to Bob Bradley, but he just wasn't the right fit here on many levels.

Hopefully there's still enough time to salvage the season. Dunfield is likely not a long term solution, but the team should get a jolt from this news.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I am shocked they fired him. I thought they would at least give him next game at home.
    He surely would have faced the boo birds at home before kick-off. Saves everyone the embarassement of that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    i wonder what it would take to get vanney back from the galaxy.
    A touch of insanity sprinkled with more poor decision making by Bill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Now I am not expecting great managerial mastery from Dunfield but at least he should have the team playing looser and probably (hopefully) more direct. Now Saturday is interesting at least.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A touch of insanity sprinkled with more poor decision making by Bill.
    i think the squad right now is more suited to playing vanneyball than bradley ball.

although i think until we get an elite striker (at MLS level) there's a hard ceiling on how good the team can be, and it's not that high

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think the squad right now is more suited to playing vanneyball than bradley ball.

although i think until we get an elite striker (at MLS level) there's a hard ceiling on how good the team can be, and it's not that high
    I agree. If we had a really good striker we might be a second round playoff team and a top 6 seed but not exactly a cup contender

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A smart mananger would look at our 2 DPs, figure out that they are too far apart, and that one of them played as a central striker in the past and switch the formation to have Berna & Insigne as two more central forward options with 4 mids behind them.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I agree. If we had a really good striker we might be a second round playoff team and a top 6 seed but not exactly a cup contender
    yep, need an elite midfielder in the summer imo, too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heads explode in the American Soccer echo chamber. How dare TFC fire such an obvious failure?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^"Hey Taylor, seems most of the other 29 teams have contingency plans for injuries and international absences."
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no idea what Dunny is like as a manager but spoke to him a few times at TFC events. He was a really down to earth, funny, self deprecating guy I imagine the dressing room will be a much different place.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heads explode in the American Soccer echo chamber. How dare TFC fire such an obvious failure?
    he assembled an XI with:

1) intl commitments that guarantee missed games

2) injury problems and aging

3) no consistent goalscorer

sure we've definitely had worse luck than any other team in the league on the injury front, but that doesn't come close to justifying the current league position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love it but we won't make progress until 1) manning goes, too and 2) Michael is scrubbed from any succession plans. I'd gladly take him as manager if he proves himself elsewhere but we need to move past this regime right now with a clean start

Not sure where we go manager wise from here. Sadly Bob really fucked up our cap so much that there's limited scope to really make alot of moves, but we should be able to find someone capable of turning this team into at least a comfortable play off one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning’s comment that Bradley was “the consummate professional” seems quite wrong. With his resume you would think he would be, but his approach seemed anything but professional (especially obvious last season). Strange but true.

The idea of Dunfield coaching the Italians, even briefly, doesn’t fill me with confidence. I don’t remember ever hearing anything positive about his coaching… am I missing something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One shoe has dropped now the other has to drop.

Manning should have been fired before Bradley! Since Vanny left he has hired 3 coaches and they have all been disastrous. He had a hand in creating a very old and over paid club. He has to take a good potion of the blame. He must get sacked before we hire the next permanent coach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sad to see him go because I really wanted a feel good story about him and his son managing off into the sunset, but it was time. I can't see how MB will stick around, either, unless it's with the academy as he builds up his coaching credentials working with *his* son.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he assembled an XI with:

1) intl commitments that guarantee missed games

2) injury problems and aging

3) no consistent goalscorer

sure we've definitely had worse luck than any other team in the league on the injury front, but that doesn't come close to justifying the current league position.
    Don't underestimate the role the Romero/Johnson situation played in this, the sheer stupidity of signing a starter and backup who both had multiple summer tournaments possible.

I think that was the last straw. It was being discussed internally. Apparently Bob's rationale was he "did not expect" Romero to get called up, my front office source said. I asked them why, given that he was called up three times last year.

Then Manning flew to watch how Ranjitsingh did in Cincy after being further reassured that we were "covered" but no longer really believing it; he was apparently aghast at our lack of offensive cohesion even when we had 60% possession. New England was just the coup-de-grace confirmation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it just me, or does anybody else get the feeling that what happened here was just Preki all over again?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Don't underestimate the role the Romero/Johnson situation played in this, the sheer stupidity of signing a starter and backup who both had multiple summer tournaments possible.

I think that was the last straw. It was being discussed internally. Apparently Bob's rationale was he "did not expect" Romero to get called up, my front office source said. I asked them why, given that he was called up three times last year.

Then Manning flew to watch how Ranjitsingh did in Cincy after being further reassured that we were "covered" but no longer really believing it; he was apparently aghast at our lack of offensive cohesion even when we had 60% possession. New England was just the coup-de-grace confirmation.
    it's true, being stuck with ranjitsignh for 4-6 games is unacceptable.

he's not close to the level and clearly the players have no faith in him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    I have no idea what Dunny is like as a manager but spoke to him a few times at TFC events. He was a really down to earth, funny, self deprecating guy I imagine the dressing room will be a much different place.
    I think for an interim it's astute. Our team has a few players who exhibit the maturity of children, and he's been handling the u17s.

There's also no expectation, as Perez might have had last year, of a full-time job as manager on the back end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

Very interesting. Thanks for posting it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Is it just me, or does anybody else get the feeling that what happened here was just Preki all over again?
    I don't. To me it feels more like the Winter/Marriner era all in one.

Have a grand plan, tear down the squad, rebuild it shit, be terrible, trade good players for trash, be oblivious to the team and manager deficiencies, then the social media and communications to fans goes dark, apathy sets in, and now we wait for our new Payne. Hopefully skip that and go right to a new Lieweke but I see more Payne than anything else coming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^"Hey Taylor, seems most of the other 29 teams have contingency plans for injuries and international absences."
    If he’s soooo good I’m sure one of the other MLS teams will give him a job. Oh, that’s right, they won’t.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah, that was perceived to be out-and-out corruption, agent kickbacks. I don't get the sense anyone thinks that of either Bob or Jack Doyle, who was head of scouting.

This was just brutal overconfidence in ideas that have become tired, with a lineup so veteran it wasn't going to be re-taught how to play the game by a 62-year-old American coach, regardless of his pedigree.

Bob's system was basically 'total football', but it lack the same specificity that top managers now breed into their squads, the absolute certainty of each player's role. Nobody plays "anyone can play any position" anymore.

They do sometimes move them dramatically, like moving Trent Alexander Arnold from wingback into the hole, but those tend to be perma moves, not game-to-game.

He also had a taskmaster persona, which people have generally abandoned at the top level. The "hair dryer" treatment, or boot throwing, ala Fergie is deservedly dead.

Beyond all of that, there's a certain lack of empathy, camraderie and intellectual respect in assuming your son can be captain and his teammates will be comfortable with him and you, despite the fact that you're the boss.

I think the #BOBOUT crew among LAFC had it right; when he's surrounded by the right pieces, it's a system that leads to a lot of possession and, being the right people, they sometimes then turn that into a lot of goals and wins.

But unless you have a Giovinco/Vela/Mukhtar type who essentially lynchpins and creates everything offensively, and then a DP striker who finishes it when that lynchpin can't, it's not a system anyone's going to win with.

To an extent, people have also figured out it's very poor with respect to solving a low block, which is why LAFC only has one win in its last eight games. They're starting to struggle. Notably, one of their worst performers in that period has been Chiellini, who looks absolutely lost when isolated at the back against speed.... which frequently happens when you spend an entire match trying to hem the other team in at their end.

I honestly believe that if he had gone over to Europe younger, Bradley's methodology might have led him to a lot more success, had he ever had a top team with top players. But that's the only way. If he'd gone to Liverpool or Man Utd instead of Swansea -- and didn't have the baggage of being American -- they have the skill to make 'total football' type system and their derivatives work. In many ways, it's how Arsenal and Man City play now.

But .... this is MLS. It's never going to work here, not without a lot of player skill and judgment doing the heavy lifting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't. To me it feels more like the Winter/Marriner era all in one.

Have a grand plan, tear down the squad, rebuild it shit, be terrible, trade good players for trash, be oblivious to the team and manager deficiencies, then the social media and communications to fans goes dark, apathy sets in, and now we wait for our new Payne. Hopefully skip that and go right to a new Lieweke but I see more Payne than anything else coming.
    I assume you mean "Payne" rather than "Pain".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he’s soooo good I’m sure one of the other MLS teams will give him a job. Oh, that’s right, they won’t.
    In my dream scenario, Miami hires him and Tata, having not got along with Messi in the past, comes here.

Also unlikely to happen.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Wow. A lot happens when you're stuck in a meeting.
    Sames

My first day at a new job so 5 hours without access to social media

My wife texted me the news

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every tike I hear that name I picture him in practice screaming at his players “you run until you puke!”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley finally paid for his terrible second half coaching where so many goals and points were given up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They know their stuff but man the echo chamber club mentality from guys like Taylor, Andrew Wiebe, and Matt Doyle bug the shit out of me at times. Now we just need a pro American tweet from Lalas saying Canadian soccer blows anyways and we won’t ever find a better coach lol. Everyone of em spinning that Bob never had a full squad, that everyone’s picking on Bob, and the Italians or players have gone out of their way to sew divide lol etc.etc.…so much whataboutism and saving face attempts. I think most folks that have been around TFC know it isn’t only on Bob here.

Like a few lads said In here earlier - makes you think if their voices are parrots for MLS HQ, this change and the situation will have pissed off a lot of folks up in Garber’s offices and US soccer. Even if Curtin and others were available- would they see it as simply business and consider our offers, or is there gonna be a type of blacklisting of American coaches and talent towards us now (whether that’s a good thing or not lol).

Personally, my reactions are kinda reserved on Bob being cut. Although def in the Bob out camp, I never personally seem to get excited or validated with coaching changes; I guess it’s because it’s still a bummer we got to this point and Bob always meant well to get the club back to better levels. But that’s the nature of the gig with being results based. Truth be told might also be reserved because I’m feeling reluctant that Bill will even be capable of knowing what this club really needs moving forward, he brings in another Rolodex hire, and we’re still no better off from the lessons learned.