Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1115
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Terry Dunfield. Interesting, even as interim. I don't know how they didn't have someone ready to go. I find that annoying. Unless Terry is one of those diamond in the rough coaches quietly working in the background who will actually be really good. Who knows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    i cant wait for the manning presser tomorrow and all the softball questions by the shills that cover the team
    It’s funny how the media is allegedly in place to inform people, yet, most of them spend their time trying to spin reality while writing puff pieces.

Notable exception to Kilbane and Kloke, who both called it as they saw it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Who has the last giggle?

why is TFC thanking bob? its not like tanking two seasons brought a top generational pick or something- even more is that manning is still around and yet now has two coaches on the books.

The midfield they gutted to keep Michael also hurts- i wonder if TFC told delgado he would be the man if he would have stayed.

so much wasted when a lot saw this happening before even the first game last season.

one thing is clear- manning does not want a coach that isnt north american unfortunately- they game will never grow like this.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bigger problem is that the average sports fan who might care about local soccer in this city/country isn’t paying attention nor care about the team as they have been awful for most of the last 5 years and now with the bulk of the games on Apple TV - it’s become out of sight and out of mind to everyone other than a very tiny core audience. Canada Soccer isn’t much smarter being on One Soccer also.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Who has the last giggle?

Oh my god this is AWESOME, laughing so hard on a rather dreary morning (weather-wise)!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time to stop buying expensive band-aids as opposed to building a team first and then adding the finishing pieces to fit the team - this is a “Maple Leafs” model of team building, and obviously it’s been widely successful (LOL) having a top heavy roster of big name stars, and then trying to fill in around them every year and hope it works - all this while never building any continuity as an actual team. The “Moor” (is that Hedges?) and “Beitashour” type players really matter in this league, and others like Hagglund and Edwards and Hasler (is this Rosted and Petretta?) and young Osorio (25 back then) types all contributed - it wasn’t just Giovinco and Altidore (obviously stars matter) — that 2017 finals goal is a work of art - how many different players touched the ball that led to the Altidore goal?!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I expect a replacement is in the works.
    In the meantime Terry Dunfield is interim coach.

I don't think this is a surprise at all. This Deathwatch thread was real, we all knew he would go, it was a question of when.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 06-26-2023 at 09:28 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple options could be coming available to fill Bradley's roles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Oh my god this is AWESOME, laughing so hard on a rather dreary morning (weather-wise)!
    It's not that awesome. Bernardeschi is an asshat a good portion of the time. I don't expect that to change just because his boss -- who also seemed like a huge asshat a portion of the time -- was fired.

Maybe that'll change if we're winning.

I'm glad he at least pulled the trigger before the window opened. If we need someone and have the money, it won't be a Bob pick. I had zero sense, beyond his belief in his own tactical acumen, that he had any idea how to read players for quality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope some reporter asks Manning "This is now back-to-back coaching hires you've made that have failed to produce results. How much of that is on you?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I literally celebrated this news like a goal, with a "Yes!" And fist pump. Kinda sad, really.

Without trying to sound too disrespectful, I've always considered Dunfield a bit of a cuck, so it'll be funny to see how he handles the egos in this abomination of a season. Maybe the absolute opposite of Bob's character is just what this team needs.
    Last edited by Bobo; 06-26-2023 at 09:36 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    It's not that awesome. Bernardeschi is an asshat a good portion of the time. I don't expect that to change just because his boss -- who also seemed like a huge asshat a portion of the time -- was fired.

I'm glad he at least pulled the trigger before the window opened. If we need someone and have the money, it won't be a Bob pick. I had zero sense, beyond his belief in his own tactical acumen, that he had any idea how to read players for quality.
    What does it mean for any summer signings given he was also Sporting Director?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    A couple options could be coming available to fill Bradley's roles.

Tanner, no doubt. I think we can do better than Curtin, given that he's had a decade and has one supporter's shield in that time.

Tanner built that team. But I expect either Philly re-signs him or he goes to Europe for more cash and budget. He's been brilliant.

Curtin is another Bob disciple from the Fire. I just dread how that could turn out.

Important part of this was they also canned Sorber, the technical director. We look like shit on the field, and a good portion of that is the field coaching as well, not just the tactics and motivation.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The right decision.

Wasn't working and enough of his signings haven't panned out to justify a change, 100%.

Manning next though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    What does it mean for any summer signings given he was also Sporting Director?
    Jason Hernandez, to my understanding, has taken over from Doyle and is directing the scouts. I know they're looking at people but they're never going to tell me who.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    I literally celebrated this news like a goal, with a "Yes!" And fist pump. Kinda sad, really.

Without trying to sound too disrespectful, I've always considered Dunfield a bit of a cuck, so it'll be funny to see how he handles the egos in this abomination of a season. Maybe the absolute opposite of Bob's character is just what this team needs.

have a co worker - who also is seasons- i thought he was joking when he told me- i wasnt in the mood for this- i couldnt believe it then when i confirmed it myself i was jumping up and down for sure what a relief I literally was about to opt out of leagues cup and post my tickets for july on ticketmaster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tanner, no doubt. I think we can do better than Curtin, given that he's had a decade and has one supporter's shield in that time.

Tanner built that team. But I expect either Philly re-signs him or he goes to Europe for more cash and budget. He's been brilliant.

Curtin is another Bob disciple from the Fire. I just dread how that could turn out.

Important part of this was they also canned Sorber, the technical director. We look like shit on the field, and a good portion of that is the field coaching as well, not just the tactics and motivation.
    These guys are go-kart drivers. We need someone who will try to manage TFC like a big club should be, while being savvy enough to know MLS rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    The right decision.

Wasn't working and enough of his signings haven't panned out to justify a change, 100%.

Manning next though.
    Presser tomorrow with BM. Let’s see if any of these gutless wimps in our press core find the gusto to ask the obvious question: after Curtis, Armas, and Bradley, why should you be trusted to lead TFC forward?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    I hope some reporter asks Manning "This is now back-to-back coaching hires you've made that have failed to produce results. How much of that is on you?"
    This wouldn't solve it.

We have had decades of this. Peddie pronouncing on his own job performance was a bi weekly thing.

Somebody needs to find Tanenbaum, and ask him: Why do you have confidence in Manning's ability to make this hire, when the last two choices were so disastrous?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Per sources, none of the reporters in our press core will ask the (obvious) hard hitters.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    So Terry Dunfield. Interesting, even as interim. I don't know how they didn't have someone ready to go.
    Maybe Ol' Terry was the guy ready to go since he was in the academy.

Most likely the guy they would like is currently working in MLS since it has to be an American manager and they need to wait until the Fall to go after him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Presser tomorrow with BM. Let’s see if any of these gutless wimps in our press core find the gusto to ask the obvious question: after Curtis, Armas, and Bradley, why should you be trusted to lead TFC forward?
    I suspect no one will ask that.

My source is pretty close to the head office. Manning sees his role as executive, looking after the overall financial wellness of the two clubs, not operational.

He devolves operation to his management team and steers clear; until May and the article, he was hands off with TFC roster and coaching decisions.

I don't think he's in any sort of denial about picking two bad ones in a row in Ali and Bob.

But their metrics for firing him are going to be quite different from Bob's. With Bill, the board is looking at how the club is doing financially and in terms of long-term financial outlook.

In those areas, it's incredibly healthy ... but that could quickly go awry if we miss the playoffs again and can't take proper advantage of Messi's first year in the league.

So if we miss the playoffs, I think he might be in trouble. Otherwise, they're probably not going to fire him for hiring two bad sporting directors in a row; Ali was predictable anmd foolish, because he was rotten at NY but an old friend from playing days of Manning, and he trusted him.

Bob's resume and recent history was too positive to suggest he should've seen it coming, so they're not going to weigh that against the club's financial stability. I suspect. I could be wrong.
    Last edited by jloome; 06-26-2023 at 09:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am shocked they fired him. I thought they would at least give him next game at home.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it's awesome because I think Bernardeschi is a great guy -- it seems that's not the case. (However, you also have to wonder why the club pushed him so hard as the face of the franchise for a while. Gotta think if they had adequately researched his background, and had some kind of coherent PR strategy, they would realize you have to go easy with putting a guy like that on a pedestal.)

It's awesome because it's a funny quote for today's situation, in the middle of dismal season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I am shocked they fired him. I thought they would at least give him next game at home.
    I think they wanted to wait until the LC break but things are so bad now that permanent damage was being done.

Really Bill should get the sack just for waiting until now to do this. This should have happened over a month ago. The writing was on the wall for whoever wanted to read it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is amazing news.
    Does anyone have info on how Dunfield has been coaching the U17s ? Formations he prefers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post

Really Bill should get the sack just for waiting until now to do this. This should have happened over a month ago. The writing was on the wall for whoever wanted to read it.
    I have a degree of empathy, because I'm sort of hearing the other side of this from the front office, the human side. I had to fire people while at newspapers and it's one of the worst fucking things to have to do if you're not a person with a lot of malice or enmity in them.

On top of that, Bob was sort of a hero to a lot of the American guys, so it's not just firing a guy, it's firing a guy you looked up to.

Having said that, yeah, he should've jumped in much earlier.

I once hired a guy who had been a top Parliament Hill reporter for CP. I ignored the warning signs of his being out of the business for years and the behavioral signs for the first few months he was there, because I really wanted him to make it, to get back into the business. On resume, he should've been great. But he was just awful, like Bob. Didn't make telling him any easier. I walked into the meeting with notes on cards, something I rarely needed, and as soon as I walked in he said, "I'm fired, aren't I?" and I tossed out the cards and we just talked.

It's never easy being the guy on the trigger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW, just WOW, I just found out reading here the BIG news, about 10 mins ago.
    It's hard to believe it's actually happened, that the axe was dropped on BB's throat!

This is turning out to be a wonderful, joyous day!

Mo matter if Terry D. is the interim coach, for me at this point anybody is better than BB, even the team going completely without a coach, coaching themselves for a while, lol. So for me Terry will be be like the collective coming to TFC of Pep Guardiola, Jose Mourinho, Carlo Ancelotti and Alex Ferguson.

The bad part is, it looks that BM will still have his job until the end of this season at least.

[ >> poster goes off-line to pour a drink to celebrate << ]
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 06-26-2023 at 10:26 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now I am not expecting great managerial mastery from Dunfield but at least he should have the team playing looser and probably (hopefully) more direct. Now Saturday is interesting at least.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wonder what it would take to get vanney back from the galaxy.