Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    FWIW, in the stadium, it was obvious they were working hard.

The "they did not care" thing is bogus.

We didn't move the ball fast enough. We had no real answer to their defensive pressure.
    Some of our players look like either they don't care or are completely dejected. Either way, time for changes. Big ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, in the stadium, it was obvious they were working hard.

The "they did not care" thing is bogus.

We didn't move the ball fast enough. We had no real answer to their defensive pressure.
    Their heads clearly aren't focused.

On the second goal, we left Carles Gil unmarked in the box, completely. We had FIVE defenders between the penalty spot adn the goalline and not one stepped up to challenge the cross or the shot.

Both goals were pretty horrendous.

Did anyone play well today? Richie and Sean Johnson, that's it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I’m not convinced LI and Berna was wide forwards in a front 3 is ever going to be a winning formula. Feels like 1+1=1.5

Neither is particularly fast either. Just doesn’t feel as dynamic as it should be given each of their qualities.
    Today looked too much like the end of last season with Insigne and Bernie doing a bit of each of their own thing and then trying to connect but poorly. There’s not enough fluidity or cohesion overall.

I care less about being at the top of the table than I care about playing some football worth watching. (Although when you do that in MLS you tend to win your share.)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not saying they played well.

Just saying the in stadium experience was different than the TV one.

We don't have enough defensive pressure on the ball.

I'm not sold on this necessarily working against decent teams. But it's not Armas level bad

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sold on this necessarily working against decent teams. But it's not Armas level bad
    No but it isn't anywhere near good either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They’ve been playing about a match a week with time to train and get things together. Now we get into two a week until into next month and we’re at only about a point a game winning percentage. It’ll be interesting to see if we somehow got it together with all the playing time or we just stay were we are.

If it feels like we’re wasting this roster it’s going to be difficult to watch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of the rosters though… the league has really gotten better. NE loses its two best goal scorers and they still have Bobby Wood and Jozy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not saying they played well.

Just saying the in stadium experience was different than the TV one.

We don't have enough defensive pressure on the ball.

No, but I’ve watched us play lots of very lousy football over the years and even I wasn’t willing to watch that team.

I really don’t think there is any chance at all of Bradley being fired this season and so I’m not going to bother to call for it. But we have to play a hell of a lot better to keep watching TFC from being dispiriting.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve defended Bradley for far too long. Tonight was ugly. The team just gave up.
    This season may be lost already. Next season Bradley out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That first half was dreadful, stunned that no changes were made at the half. Every pass was telegraph, there is no creativity, it’s just shit to watch. They should just spend the week practicing how to pass. When LI gets a ball to run onto at full speed he looks dangerous but no one seems to be able to put a pass in front of him. One of the two times it happened tonight was off a Sj throw. It is pathetic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    That first half was dreadful, stunned that no changes were made at the half. Every pass was telegraph, there is no creativity, it’s just shit to watch. They should just spend the week practicing how to pass. When LI gets a ball to run onto at full speed he looks dangerous but no one seems to be able to put a pass in front of him. One of the two times it happened tonight was off a Sj throw. It is pathetic.
    He had seven shots tonight and only put one on target.

Everyone had a shit statline except Coello, Laryea. Bernardeschi put three shots on but two of them were dribblers. MAK completed 92% of his passes but no long balls and only one through ball.

We were really bad. Impatient in offense, late and inattentive in defense. Demoralizing sort of loss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we may have under estimated this one.NER has the best defensive record in the league with only 6 goals against. 4 of those came in one game when they were away to LAFC.So they have 2 goals conceded in 10 games... That's damn impressive and we ain't the only ones who can't score against them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think folks are completely wrong but there being no talk about the unbelievable pathetic own goal that completely changed the game and is basically unforgivable tells me that this board is dedicated to it's narrative. No matter what happens in the outcome it's mak, or somehow still mb or whoever you thought it was 6 weeks ago. Today, Rosted made such a big mistake it might have cost us a game. If you just take about your narratives, you're no better than the British. You don't want to be like the British, they're the worst, they havent even watched football in years. Just created narratives and talked about them over football matches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MDH View Post
    I don't think folks are completely wrong but there being no talk about the unbelievable pathetic own goal that completely changed the game and is basically unforgivable tells me that this board is dedicated to it's narrative. No matter what happens in the outcome it's mak, or somehow still mb or whoever you thought it was 6 weeks ago. Today, Rosted made such a big mistake it might have cost us a game. If you just take about your narratives, you're no better than the British. You don't want to be like the British, they're the worst, they havent even watched football in years. Just created narratives and talked about them over football matches.
    To be fair, the frustration expressed is less about this game and more about the overall direction of our team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair, the frustration expressed is less about this game and more about the overall direction of our team.
    To be fair, that's not how they express themselves. They talk about the match, and how the same guy they were complaining about last week is the root of all our problems. Sorry man, it's just pointless narrative driven nothingness. I also don't like Bob and really dislike Bill. I have general problems with some choices being made. Yesterday a big part of why we lost is that during our best period of the match, when we were in the ascendancy and momentum was with us, our CB make an idiotic decision to try to beat a guy at the last man back. And he gave the other team a clean breakaway against the run of play, on a basic play that should have never happened at a professional level. The team never recovered. That's what happened in yesterday's football match. You wouldn't know that from being here's. 🤷

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate to burst your bubble but they were all shit. Yes, Rosted was the worst player on the pitch, but nobody has to lean on bias or predisposition to see how bad we were.

And going down by one does not decide a game. Laying the entire game on him is also a bullshit narrative; we had 70 minutes to get that goal back.

I admit I also find it frustrating that MAK is the immediate scapegoat for A lot of people. Most of the time he is not the problem.

But he had four bad giveaways yesterday and contributed very little going forward or back. Servania was even worse.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is true for me. I never went at MB, MAK, MacNaughton and said they should sit when things were terrible. This has been a lingering issue I brought up all year that we create no chances and we progress the ball too slow. The counter narrative is always "well the injuries" but Insigne is back, we have a 9 and we still create almost nothing. That's the frustration. I watch teams like Colorado, who are shit and have a way worse roster than us, push up the field at pace and cause problems. Last night's match was a perfect example. Their movement made things easier. We don't move so....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I hate to burst your bubble but they were all shit. Yes, Rosted was the worst player on the pitch, but nobody has to lean on bias or predisposition to see how bad we were.

And going down by one does not decide a game. Laying the entire game on him is also a bullshit narrative; we had 70 minutes to get that goal back.

I admit I also find it frustrating that MAK is the immediate scapegoat for A lot of people. Most of the time he is not the problem.

But he had four bad giveaways yesterday and contributed very little going forward or back. Servania was even worse.
    You're just changing what I said to make it seem worse. Yesterday our CB literally gave away a goal. You would not know that for being here. That's it. Just letting everyone on the board know how deep into your narratives you are. You are a big part of that Insigne is a bust guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're just changing what I said to make it seem worse. Yesterday our CB literally gave away a goal. You would not know that for being here. That's it. Just letting everyone on the board know how deep into your narratives you are. You are a big part of that Insigne is a bust guy.
    I don’t know about the board’s narratives or not narratives but the narrative of the team itself was that they’d “turned the corner” last match and were ready to climb the standings. But we looked poor right from the start. I don’t think we recovered from losing Hedges and we lost him before the match. I don’t think anyone played well with the exception of our keeper and maybe Coello (who I thought was doing more or less everything that was expected of him). Even our coach said there was nothing positive to take away from this match.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 05-07-2023 at 10:53 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with JLoome here. Everyone was shit except for Johnson. Maybe Sappong but he didn't get enough clear chances. Your narrative seems to be that all is good except for one bone headed play. Not sure how you could have watched the other 91 minutes and not saw that we were terrible or how over the whole season we create next to nothing going forward. These are ongoing issues. Even against a terrible NYCFC who got it all wrong tactically and let us do exactly what we wanted, we only managed that one goal. We have some talented players so we do get goals but they're usually from individual brilliance or from that one time during a match we attack directly with pace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not what I was expecting; performance wise. Not so much about the loss, more for me about the next steps in individual efforts towards collective cohesiveness that was lacking. When is TFC going to turn that corner? Stewed on the matter, rather than make any immediate post match comment. Trying to brain through it; is it on the players, on the coach or on both? Got a headache. Not heathy, now, with today’s weather, just feeling a mix of disappointment, frustration, anger and despair in and for TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I agree with JLoome here. Everyone was shit except for Johnson. Maybe Sappong but he didn't get enough clear chances. Your narrative seems to be that all is good except for one bone headed play. Not sure how you could have watched the other 91 minutes and not saw that we were terrible or how over the whole season we create next to nothing going forward. These are ongoing issues. Even against a terrible NYCFC who got it all wrong tactically and let us do exactly what we wanted, we only managed that one goal. We have some talented players so we do get goals but they're usually from individual brilliance or from that one time during a match we attack directly with pace.
    Exactly.

Everyone has narratives, and they're not always right. Blaming MAK solely or Bob solely would be an incorrect narrative. But so is blaming Rosted solely.

When the narratives are annoying is when they literally don't match what's going on on the pitch. MAK gets excoriated here, despite being statistically our best midfielder this season.

But yesterday, there was no doubt we were shit. Sure, MDH, I'll give you that a bigger deal might be made of the first mistake as the catalyst.

But also, focusing on just that -- and Rosted has been pretty heavily criticized in other games, it's not like he gets nothing but love -- ignores the other 70 minutes of garbage.

Literally the only two players yesterday with a respectable stat line were Coello and Laryea.

WE HAD TWENTY SHOTS on net and didn't score a goal. The one goal caused by a boneheaded play was not the only reason we lost.

You are a big part of that Insigne is a bust guy.
    This doesn't make any kind of sense so I'm not even sure what you're trying to say. Are you suggesting the board's narratives, or mine personally, are somehow responsible for the fact that Lorenzo Insigne put one of seven shots on net? Or somehow we're altering his mood, his training somehow?

He's actually scoring at a higher rate from open play over his time here than Bernardeschi, who has more than half his goals from the spot.

But without a tactical system that they can play and fit in, one in which they're not trying to do everything themselves, they're not showing themselves particularly effective or dangerous. Teams double them up, and no one moves into support quickly enough to extract them. Even when t hey do, half the time the Italians ignore them and try to beat three guys on their own, and it doesn't work.

Neither is Seba with the ball, that seems a glaring reality. Massively technically skilled, and both woudl be massive producers in a good, team-based system. But this isn't it.
    Last edited by jloome; 05-07-2023 at 12:36 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Correction 20 Shots at net, 5 on and two were long range rollers from Bernie. We gave up an unfortunate goal, still like Rosted but he needs Hedges

They cut off the wings, made us play to the middle (we couldn’t). We were (are) too slow and got frustrated.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly.

Everyone has narratives, and they're not always right. Blaming MAK solely or Bob solely would be an incorrect narrative. But so is blaming Rosted solely.
    Currently I won't totally come down on any player for errors. I don't think they've been set up to succeed and if anything, they're being directed to fight an uphill battle. Good managers, with controlled budgets, learn to examine the rosters they inherit and then develop a system to make that squad work like Gonzalez has done in SJ.

Granted, that Rosted move yesterday was like the fancy MacNaughton stuff that got him demoted him to the bench last season and it was terrible. Beyond that, all these passing errors and lack of ideas speak to us having a bunch of square pegs & round holes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not adding a narrative. I'm saying that no one talks about what happens on the pitch. And that continues to be true. Y'all are making weird assumptions that me thinking y'all need to watch the matches and not the say MAK 50 times a match or something similar, means that I think the team was good. Why would you think that, where, other than the narratives in your mind, did that happen? What I said was that after the match I came here to talk about the match. But that wasn't happening in the match thread. In fact the match thread was the same narrative driven nothingness that it often is, especially when we are poor. Smh.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not adding a narrative. I'm saying that no one talks about what happens on the pitch. And that continues to be true. Y'all are making weird assumptions that me thinking y'all need to watch the matches and not the say MAK 50 times a match or something similar, means that I think the team was good. Why would you think that, where, other than the narratives in your mind, did that happen? What I said was that after the match I came here to talk about the match. But that wasn't happening in the match thread. In fact the match thread was the same narrative driven nothingness that it often is, especially when we are poor. Smh.
    I see what your saying but the MAK thing is hopeless. I don't want to say a lot of Toronto sports fans are idiots but here we are. It seems the T.O way is to always have a scapegoat order selected so that there can always be blame assigned to that person. Now it's MAK because MB is injured. Really doesn't matter what he does in a match now or if we win or lose. Even on that match where he had a 97% pass completion percentage or therabouts, there were a bunch of people, not here but on other social media, pointing to the one or two missed passes he had. So there is no winning. It's the way here. I choose to ignore it because reality doesn't apply to this one particular part of Toronto sports culture (it's in all our sports too).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see what your saying but the MAK thing is hopeless. I don't want to say a lot of Toronto sports fans are idiots but here we are. It seems the T.O way is to always have a scapegoat order selected so that there can always be blame assigned to that person. Now it's MAK because MB is injured. Really doesn't matter what he does in a match now or if we win or lose. Even on that match where he had a 97% pass completion percentage or therabouts, there were a bunch of people, not here but on other social media, pointing to the one or two missed passes he had. So there is no winning. It's the way here. I choose to ignore it because reality doesn't apply to this one particular part of Toronto sports culture (it's in all our sports too).
    I posted in an anti-MAK thread on Reddit with his actual statistics, which still have him as one of best players on the weight of the season, but a lot of them already have him as the default "cause" of our woes, because some people need the most easily, broadly defined object to hate in order to feel secure in their own opinions.

Having said that, he was generally shit in this game. Got stripped multiple times, couldn't complete anything but short back passes. He didn't get much help, though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I posted in a thread on Reddit…..

“What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Yeah, I know, it's like I lobotomized myself or something.

Being stuck working at home is boring sometimes, dude. There's only so much football that can be watched.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I posted in an anti-MAK thread on Reddit with his actual statistics, which still have him as one of best players on the weight of the season, but a lot of them already have him as the default "cause" of our woes, because some people need the most easily, broadly defined object to hate in order to feel secure in their own opinions.

Having said that, he was generally shit in this game. Got stripped multiple times, couldn't complete anything but short back passes. He didn't get much help, though.
    He was poor in this one. But even so he was the only player doing the post game media video thing. He speaks honestly and answers for his and the team’s mistakes. Almost every time I’ve heard him speak he mentions personally needing to be better and the struggle to do so. Not only he is a mature person with a good attitude but he has gotten better since he’s been here.

I don’t have a rah-rah, relentlessly positive personality but I think sometimes if fans back their team we get better results, especially when the will is there from the team. A team being composed only of individual human beings, that is. You have to wonder what’s wrong with people when they get down unreasonably on local stars. A form of jealousy/resentment and small mindedness, I suppose.