Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Insigne thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That article is behind a paywall, except the first part. Thay maybe the most some 1/4 of the whole article.

Can someone post the whole article here?
    Thanks in advance!

Edit: Never mind, I have read it.
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 05-28-2023 at 02:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This!!! Absolutely this! She is opportunistic; trying way too hard. Even if the Italians do dislike one another, and most interactions suggest otherwise, they are professional colleagues. Really National Enquirer nonsense; tabloid journo level reporting. Shameful.

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 05-28-2023 at 05:31 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    This!!! Absolutely this! She is opportunistic; trying way too hard. Even if the Italians do dislike one another, and most interactions suggest otherwise, they are professional colleagues. Really National Enquirer nonsense; tabloid journo level reporting. Shameful.

Didn't the athletic report the same thing?

People here also tried to call her out for saying insigne didn't want to work with bob

Considering all the absolute random twitter accounts we post as sources of news, I think she's been vindicated pretty well this week, no?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anybody can find a clip of that 30 seconds in the second half extra time where LI put on a show about controlling the ball - THAT was amazing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    Didn't the athletic report the same thing?

People here also tried to call her out for saying insigne didn't want to work with bob

Considering all the absolute random twitter accounts we post as sources of news, I think she's been vindicated pretty well this week, no?
    Yeah, I mean for all the squawk of said Twitter posters they’ve offered zero evidence to the contrary.

And as you said, the Athletic is essentially reporting the same thing Kyle is so why would anyone think they have backup in calling her reporting “fake news”?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    Didn't the athletic report the same thing? People here also tried to call her out for saying insigne didn't want to work with bob Considering all the absolute random twitter accounts we post as sources of news, I think she's been vindicated pretty well this week, no?
    Yes. The Athletic did report something similar. Though we could argue over a parsing of words from, IIUC, 'did not get along' to 'hated each other'. I am having a lot of trouble with the inconsistencies and the incongruousness of significant aspects of the story; within the very same article itself and not just against outside published counters. For instance, again IIUC, the article also suggests in contradiction BM 'said that Insigne helped recruit Bernardeschi' I am one of those that would be guilty, appreciate your inclusion of the we, of posting random twitter accounts as sources of news. Yet, given her national/global Apple platform I am not so sure that still vindicates her pretty well since she indicates 'that was very well known in the media (and) that was very well known in Italy with the national team'. I am having trouble finding any such social media references from 'before' the Italians arrived to TFC. More over if that information was so pervasive why did no one post anywhere that notion. In contrast, IIRC, I believe there is a short video clip of Lollo and Fede celebrating/partying together with the Euro-Cup. I also remembered this image from over 5 years ago (March 2016?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Yeah, I mean for all the squawk of said Twitter posters they’ve offered zero evidence to the contrary.

And as you said, the Athletic is essentially reporting the same thing Kyle is so why would anyone think they have backup in calling her reporting “fake news”?
    She was wrong about Insigne travelling to Austin and not starting because of a blow up with Bob.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. The Athletic did report something similar. Though we could argue over a parsing of words from, IIUC, 'did not get along' to 'hated each other'. I am having a lot of trouble with the inconsistencies and the incongruousness of significant aspects of the story; within the very same article itself and not just against outside published counters. For instance, again IIUC, the article also suggests in contradiction BM 'said that Insigne helped recruit Bernardeschi' I am one of those that would be guilty, appreciate your inclusion of the we, of posting random twitter accounts as sources of news. Yet, given her national/global Apple platform I am not so sure that still vindicates her pretty well since she indicates 'that was very well known in the media (and) that was very well known in Italy with the national team'. I am having trouble finding any such social media references from 'before' the Italians arrived to TFC. More over if that information was so pervasive why did no one post anywhere that notion. In contrast, IIRC, I believe there is a short video clip of Lollo and Fede celebrating/partying together with the Euro-Cup. I also remembered this image from over 5 years ago (March 2016?)

It was well known enough to be a topic of discussion here as far back as last seasons and a clip of them celebrating doesn't mean anything compared to sourced, backed up reporting

Literally *everything* she has said on Tfc this week has been backed up in an article by the athletic, an article that has multiple sources and is from maybe one of the only credible publications left in sports

Something isn't fake news when you don't like what the message is. What she has said has been backed up at the highest level of credibility that exists for a team like Toronto fc. She is batting 1000 on us this week.

I've no idea if she's generally credible, but this consistent attempt to discredit her I've seen elsewhere is...weird. It's downright weird. It's Donald trump "I don't like it therefore it's fake"-esque

She has been fully, 100% backed up with what she's said. Like her or not, she has said nothing that hasn't been sourced and printed by a very credible media outlet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    She was wrong about Insigne travelling to Austin and not starting because of a blow up with Bob.
    The first point, although there was no definitive evidence to the contrary, yes it appears to be wrong.

Point #2? I think that might be unknowable at this stage. I wouldn’t take the club’s assertion to the contrary as proof.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    The first point, although there was no definitive evidence to the contrary, yes it appears to be wrong.

Point #2? I think that might be unknowable at this stage. I wouldn’t take the club’s assertion to the contrary as proof.
    Yeah I meant the travel part specifically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Yeah I meant the travel part specifically.
    Fair enough.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me there is a pretty interesting ambiguity in the Athletic story. The Monday conference call was “led” by Insigne and Bernadeschi, and the topic was ousting BB… but upon very close reading it only implied that Insigne was calling for #bobout. We all thought it said it, but it stops short.

Then Insigne declared himself postgame yesterday as NOT on team#bobout.

So the question for me is… how do his teammates, who all saw whatever it is that actually happened, now see Lorenzo?

Is he a stand up guy, who as a team leader helped run an important discussion Monday, but either supported Bob or maybe stood aside personally…and is now just trying to do the right thing, the professional thing, and support the manager publicly, as stars do?

Or is Lorenzo a snake, who said one thing Monday and then sold out his teammate Saturday, because getting rid of Fede means more free kicks, and more Ovo jerseys sold and personal glory, for Lorenzo?
    Last edited by ensco; 05-28-2023 at 12:00 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    To me there is a pretty interesting ambiguity in the Athletic story. The Monday conference call was “led” by Insigne and Bernadeschi, and the topic was ousting BB… but upon very close reading it only implied that Insigne was calling for #bobout. We all thought it said it, but it stops short.

So the question for me is… how do his teammates, who all saw whatever it is that actually happened, now see Lorenzo?

Is he a stand up guy, who as a team leader helped run an important discussion Monday, but stood aside personally…and is now just trying to do the right thing, the professional thing, and support the manager publicly, as stars do?

Or is Lorenzo a snake, who said one thing Monday and then sold out his teammate Saturday, because getting rid of Fede means more free kicks, and more Ovo jerseys sold and personal glory, for Lorenzo?
    Difficult to know. I think the simplest explanation is he wants Bradley out, but, saw himself and his character questioned in the media and by some fans as a result and that put a fire under his ass to go out and show he isn't the problem

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or maybe a bunch of Type A guys had a series of gigantic arguments that had been coming for awhile - arguments about their livelihoods & plans & stuff that bugged them & about hopes & opinions - somewhere towards the end of all that, people recognized all their futures were at stake, found a common ground and even thought they had a lot of crappy things to say to each other worked it all out as professionals...

for now

Hedges post game interview firmly indicated some serious arguing happened that none of them want to talk about - I would note nobody is saying "that's behind us now".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fede will definitely feel seriously betrayed.

Unless one thinks Fede is crazy enough to have said what he said without canvassing his teammates.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could someone explain where this whole Insigne/Bernie feud started? I'm going to assume it was originating from the national team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is he a stand up guy, who as a team leader helped run an important discussion Monday, but either supported Bob or maybe stood aside personally…and is now just trying to do the right thing, the professional thing, and support the manager publicly, as stars do?

I do wonder how much of this is because Insigne’s only translator for the last four weeks has probably been Bernardeschi.

Michael came back to take in this team meeting apparently, and suddenly stories are changing dramatically.

Insigne’s English is not good; Richie may have passed Kyle what he’d heard, but given that he probably spends a lot of his time practicing with Fede, I wonder whether he was getting the whole story.

I do get the sense Fede is a little immature and prone to manipulation, because he’s been astute about building enough fan support that even when he wasn’t playing defense properly people were still jumping to defend his workrate and slag Insigne.

I think his ego issues, and seeing himself as the secondary star, are probably problematic. But if Bob demonstrates to hi he’s wrong, maybe he buys in. It may not matter if he gets moved or Bob gets fired. Kilbane seems to believe Bradley is a dead man walking, but this is a very political league.
    Last edited by jloome; 05-28-2023 at 01:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fede will definitely feel seriously betrayed.

Unless one thinks Fede is crazy enough to have said what he said without canvassing his teammates.
    I suspect he’s egotistical enough to think guys who don’t like Bob would back him, without actually asking them.

If there’s a schism over anything it’s probably whether they want to play for Bob. Given how some former players described it as “the worst environment they’d ever been in” there are likely roster schisms that have to be resolved before the team can move ahead either way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Kilbane is right but didn’t go far enough. I think both Bob and Fede are dead men walking. Its just a question of when.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything we've heard about Insigne has only been hear say. Nothing direct from his mouth like Berna.

Anyway it doesn't matter. Insigne did the right thing last night and just upped his efforts. As a professional athlete you don't throw a mutiny against your coach. Even if the coach stinks. That's career ending/ damaging stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    If anybody can find a clip of that 30 seconds in the second half extra time where LI put on a show about controlling the ball - THAT was amazing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love that. What a shift.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i feel like part of the clear the air involved it being made clear to insigne that bob isn't going anywhere.

he clearly is enjoying living in toronto, so will do what it takes to stay.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Insigne puts up last match. May it continue.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    That article is behind a paywall, except the first part. Thay maybe the most some 1/4 of the whole article.

Can someone post the whole article here?
    Thanks in advance!

Edit: Never mind, I have read it.
    We don't allow posting of complete articles here for copyright reasons and because we want people to support the few reporters who actually report on the team. People who post complete articles will be banned.

In the future please pay your $1.50. It's cheaper than a magazine and a fraction of a single BMO beer. I can't believe that anyone here can't afford it, even the proverbial 16 year old posting from their mom's basement.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 05-29-2023 at 10:59 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    i feel like part of the clear the air involved it being made clear to insigne that bob isn't going anywhere.

he clearly is enjoying living in toronto, so will do what it takes to stay.
    I'm hard pressed to see Insigne leaving. He was in the Four Seasons last year, but this off season his family and him bought what looks like a gorgeous house, mini footy pitch in the back, very modern.

He has to boys who are older and in school. Its possible at the end of last season he may have investigated a return to Europe, deemed it not financially viable and now is committed.

Berna only has 1 daughter who is still pre-school, so he could be more flexible.

But yes I agree with you. In the last match I noticed Insigne wasn't getting frustrated with lack of calls or anything. He seemed changed. Probably accepted Bob and MLS for what it is, and if he wants any enjoyment of his time here all he can do is adapt and play hard. That is 100% the right approach too.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That second goal - the guy ran hard for over half the pitch to get on the end of that pass after he did the big looping switch to create the overload - Insigne still has distance pace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, ties into the previous and recent unsubstantiated rumour. From a Turkish sports daily...

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 05-30-2023 at 05:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, ties into the previous and recent unsubstantiated rumour. From a Turkish sports daily...

Now that Apple and The Athletic have stated that Insigne is not happy in Toronto I imagine ever football rabid country with a news source will have a story stating that he’s coming soon to a powerhouse near you! Won’t most of it be trashy unsubstantiated stuff? I hope he continues to play well and wear the armband even if only so we don’t have to busy ourselves with endless rumour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are probably right; let the rumour mill begin and go into overdrive. I would not be surprised if either or both Lollo and Fede have been given permission to negotiate with another team. Ideally, it could be conditioned upon a no transfer fee (the honey) and a mutual termination of the contract- no $ owing (the catch). Given what has transpired, I would not be surprised that BB has maintained the confidence of BM and/or the MLSE Board in the matter of the revolt.