Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Insigne thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    I have to be honest the player that i saw on the field last night was full of fire and compete, a great choice for the captain arm band. He also supported his team mates when some of the service to him wasn't quite right. I was not overly impressed with new York but having Insigne on the left and Fede on the right with a target potential in the middle, changed the game completely. His trajectory here in the fans eyes will only go up with a few more solid outings.

He was really engaging to get the crowd into the game last night, especially around the 88th minute.
    Insigne was by far the best player on the pitch last night, I love Bernie but he is not a better player then Insigne. Last night might have been the first time Insigne was at full health since he arrived at TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benito View Post
    Party will be delayed for a few days. Nice tying goal by Salernitana towards the end of the game.
    Yes and yes.

‘ ‘O’Ciuccio’ e ferito ma non e mourt!’… ‘ ‘Napoli/nickname’ is wounded but not dead!’. They will win The Scudetto/Shield; Italian SerieA Championship.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 04-30-2023 at 02:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ‘curse’ of the Leafs not getting past the first round in about twenty years has been highlighted in a few posts recently; including by myself. Well, in Italy’s SerieA, in about the last thirty years, since Napoli last took the title, the Maradonna era, their championship has been won essentially by two cities, either Torino, with Juventus and Milan with, AC or Inter… except for two years; then by Rome with Lazio and Roma. Those three cities are the three wealthiest of Italy; 1/Milan, 2/Rome, and 3/Turin. It is good for calcio/football/soccer that such glory is deservingly spread.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 04-30-2023 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Grammar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vince93 View Post
    Insigne was by far the best player on the pitch last night, I love Bernie but he is not a better player then Insigne. Last night might have been the first time Insigne was at full health since he arrived at TFC.
    Let him keep the armband if he's going to play like that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vince93 View Post
    Can we please stop comparing LI and FB? Not everything has to be 'one is better than the other.'

They're both great and awesome and having both of them on the field together is fantastic for us. That's it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Can we please stop comparing LI and FB? Not everything has to be 'one is better than the other.'

They're both great and awesome and having both of them on the field together is fantastic for us. That's it.
    This is true. Who cares who is better or who makes how much money.

Bottom line is that with a healthy Insigne out there with Bernardeschi we're a much, much better team. Add in the Sappong factor and I think we created more chances in that last match than a few of our previous 9 combined.

The guy is good. Be happy he is here and motivated.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How is he only showing on the books at $7.5M?

Discuss.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Discuss.
    But which books? The PA's books, or TFC/MLS' books?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Discuss.
    My assumption would be he got a massive signing bonus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Discuss.
    Several different possibilities off the top of my head.

One, the original $15M leaked to Romano was for a two-year deal plus two option years, for a total contract value of about $30M US, not the assumed original $64M (technically never confirmed by anyone). That's a quite typical MLS deal structure, and the amounts would fit.

Two, they've amortized it over four years and intend to pay him a massive back end.

Three, he was paid $15M for just half of last year, allowing them the equivalent amount of salary relief this year. This seems most likely.

What won't be missing are massive "bonuses", as they have to be included in the "guaranteed compensation" heading of the salary guide, part of their deal with the association.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

Three, he was paid $15M for just half of last year, allowing them the equivalent amount of salary relief this year. This seems most likely.
    In this scenario, how much is would the pay be each year?

i.e. year 1 (2022) - half year is $15 million
    year 2 (2023)?
    year 3 (2024)?
    year 4 (2025)?
    year 5 (2026 - presuming he's here until the year the world cup is hosted here)?
    Last edited by spe18; 05-16-2023 at 10:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    In this scenario, how much is would the pay be each year?

i.e. year 1 (2022) - half year is $15 million
    year 2 (2023)?
    year 3 (2024)?
    year 4 (2025)?
    year 5 (2026 - presuming he's here until the year the world cup is hosted here)?
    Without knowing what the total value is, no way to say. But if it's the $64M total, it could be any number of ways. I know the league frowns on backloading deals. It could be something like 15, 7.5, 15, 15, 7.5.

I think it's more likely the original deal was a two-year figure. It's still double what Napoli were offering him and guaranteed until age 35, a deal no on in Europe would've come close to matching.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I participated in the whole gross vs. net, impossible vs possible, community discussion/debate involving his supposed salary. And still IDK. Maybe, it’s just a case of Occam’s Razor. Whatever Insigne is being paid was enough-more than any other clubs offered outside of SerieA for him to sign with TFC, yet enough-less than the irrationale/outrageous (for a MLS business model) suggestions being publicized? I anticipate ‘those facts’ will eventually become known. Until then, I wait.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think the salary reported last season was 14 M, but MLSPA reports annualized salaries (pls correct me if I'm wrong), so likely would have cost 7 M to the budget.

there are probably off the books expenses too not counted here too (reported that they were going to give him a house, etc).

there are also whispers that MLSPA has previously underreported salaries at the top end of the league, tho.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insigne. Hope he's healthy. Hope he'll be worth it. Won't know till the end of the season. Not yet though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    i think the salary reported last season was 14 M, but MLSPA reports annualized salaries (pls correct me if I'm wrong), so likely would have cost 7 M to the budget.

there are probably off the books expenses too not counted here too (reported that they were going to give him a house, etc).

there are also whispers that MLSPA has previously underreported salaries at the top end of the league, tho.
    Nothing in MLS is legitimate, it's all smoke an mirrors.

I suspect they are grossly underreporting Ingsige's salary because of the inflation it causes.

Agent's will look at TFC and ask for huge sums of money. MLS does not want what TFC did to become the norm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All the things that people think Giovinco would be if he came back is slowly showing on Insigne. "He's gonna be slow", "he won't be able to score anymore", "he would be injury prone", "he's gonna be overpaid".....

I hope Lorenzo bounce back soon, it's so sad and frustrating to see him play like he's never on the same page. He keeps trying, he is working hard but nothing is working out. He's a great leader, the right guy to wear the armband, I feel bad that he is put into this dumpster fire. 10 months ago, whenever him and Berna gets the ball, BMO would be excited to see what magic they'll pull out next. Now, everyone is just anticipating a backwards pass or an horrendous touch.

People will compare him to Seba, it is gonna be part of it. I expected way more from Insigne than what he is showing right now. If the team keeps taking Ls, he will get a lot of the blame even if he doesn't deserve it. Right now is the time for him to start coming back from this bad form.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by khso11 View Post
    All the things that people think Giovinco would be if he came back is slowly showing on Insigne. "He's gonna be slow", "he won't be able to score anymore", "he would be injury prone", "he's gonna be overpaid".....

I hope Lorenzo bounce back soon, it's so sad and frustrating to see him play like he's never on the same page. He keeps trying, he is working hard but nothing is working out. He's a great leader, the right guy to wear the armband, I feel bad that he is put into this dumpster fire. 10 months ago, whenever him and Berna gets the ball, BMO would be excited to see what magic they'll pull out next. Now, everyone is just anticipating a backwards pass or an horrendous touch.

People will compare him to Seba, it is gonna be part of it. I expected way more from Insigne than what he is showing right now. If the team keeps taking Ls, he will get a lot of the blame even if he doesn't deserve it. Right now is the time for him to start coming back from this bad form.

He's looked much better then Berna for a few games now but Berna always gets a free pass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I won't be giving Berna a free pass, he seemed very lost the last few games. Always half a step behind, hesitant on his moves (vs. NYRB he had an opportunity to do his signature outside foot cross to an unmarked Akinola in the box but he hesitated), and misplacing his passes. Maybe he is playing with an injury, I don't know, nobody knows. But people are giving him a free pass (for now) maybe for the kind of person he is, he expresses his passion positively to the fans from the beginning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lorenzo (shoot it right at the keeper) Insigne

It takes a special talent to do that every shot

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have the top that we want and still no goals. Goals against we expect but last night was surely a night for individuals to shine with goal scoring.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not going to even try to defend our DPs, or any players really, but the reality is that none of them have been set up to succeed.

Every match looks like the first preseason matches where different lineups and tactics are tested and nobody is quite sure where they should be or what they should be doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    Lorenzo (shoot it right at the keeper) Insigne

It takes a special talent to do that every shot
    I had no idea why he hit that with his left foot. Should have done this with his right. Angle was the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insigne and Fede have regressed - you could argue that for most of our signings under BB.

Not fair to hold Insigne to the fire, more at play here probably.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Insigne and Fede have regressed - you could argue that for most of our signings under BB.

Not fair to hold Insigne to the fire, more at play here probably.
    Whether he’s the right fit or not, he’s getting league-leading money and is the worst-shooting forward in MLS. It’s somewhat fair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Whether he’s the right fit or not, he’s getting league-leading money and is the worst-shooting forward in MLS. It’s somewhat fair.
    Yeah there's elements of both but I definitely do think the fact that we're 0 in 3 under bob in getting the best out of DPs is a factor, too. The Italians are unknowns but pozuelo was former league MVP. I think there's issues on both sides here, we need more from insigine but management also needs to use him and Bernie better

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giovinco made an impact right from the start, he was the kind of player that made things happen almost every time he touched the ball. Insigne looks slow in every aspect of the game , it’s getting very hard to watch this guy right now it’s embarrassing actually. Giovinco was basically a bench player in Italy , Insigne was a starter and star player for Napoli a team that was always one of the top teams in Italy while he played there. Giovinco was barely an Italian national team player while Insigne was basically a mainstay with the Italian national team and was a main player on Italy’s Euro Championship winning team. This guy needs to step it up he is an embarrassment right now , moreover Bernadeschi is not any better constantly losing the ball and constantly dribbling into opposing players and losing the ball . These guys were brought here to put bums in the seats but looking at the crowds lately they are one of the reasons why people are staying away !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Giovinco made an impact right from the start, he was the kind of player that made things happen almost every time he touched the ball. Insigne looks slow in every aspect of the game , it’s getting very hard to watch this guy right now it’s embarrassing actually. Giovinco was basically a bench player in Italy , Insigne was a starter and star player for Napoli a team that was always one of the top teams in Italy while he played there. Giovinco was barely an Italian national team player while Insigne was basically a mainstay with the Italian national team and was a main player on Italy’s Euro Championship winning team. This guy needs to step it up he is an embarrassment right now , moreover Bernadeschi is not any better constantly losing the ball and constantly dribbling into opposing players and losing the ball . These guys were brought here to put bums in the seats but looking at the crowds lately they are one of the reasons why people are staying away !
    Brilliant marketing strategy.
    Absolutely brilliant con
    Suckered so many people

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So at what point do we as Toronto supporters get credit for Napolis Scudetto?

Jk but this move has done the absolute opposite of its intention.

Remember the Napoli fanfare on the signing? So little of that excitement has been transferred to new support of our local side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Discuss.
    Now going back to this original question, I think we now have our answer, per the explosive article on The Athletic.

The PA didn't include Insigne's marketing deal in its figures.

I somehow suspected the PA didn't list the entire amount that he might be getting paid.

Actually, I'd be interested to know if this so called "marketing deal" is with tfc itself

https://theathletic.com/4555769/2023...i-bradley-mls/