Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    That chart above doesn’t make me feel better about what happens when TFC clusters draws like that.

for what it's worth, those 2010 and 2013 TFC teams went on to start losing games, not winning them. The 2010 slide led a complete blowup of everything, including the departure of Dero, Mo and Preki.

I know I know, different time, different team…. Anyways, carry on
    I do remember in 2017 when we had a few notable injuries and it was up to Jay Chapman and a bunch of the supporting cast to treat water (which they did quite well).

This feels similar in some ways but I’m not sure LI as the cavalry will be enough to push us over the hump. The lack of a usable striker is really a shadow over the team right now. The options top to bottom feel pretty bad, even if Dio returns.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I do remember in 2017 when we had a few notable injuries and it was up to Jay Chapman and a bunch of the supporting cast to treat water (which they did quite well).

This feels similar in some ways but I’m not sure LI as the cavalry will be enough to push us over the hump. The lack of a usable striker is really a shadow over the team right now. The options top to bottom feel pretty bad, even if Dio returns.
    They have to get the Italians playing provider with less-talented players, and not just looking to score, basically. We have the lowest number of touches in the box in the league.

We do not have a single striker with a touch inside the six-yard box and I don't believe any of them have more than one shot from inside the penatly area, the 18-yard box, other than Peruzza, who got two poor ones off in the last game.

That's after eight games.

The thing is, they KNOW how much offensive talent the Italians provide, and that Oso and Kaye can chip in goals as well. So fixing the defense and team movement has clearly been the priority.

Now we need goal, and chances in the box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    They have to get the Italians playing provider with less-talented players, and not just looking to score, basically. We have the lowest number of touches in the box in the league.

We do not have a single striker with a touch inside the six-yard box and I don't believe any of them have more than one shot from inside the penatly area, the 18-yard box, other than Peruzza, who got two poor ones off in the last game.

That's after eight games.

The thing is, they KNOW how much offensive talent the Italians provide, and that Oso and Kaye can chip in goals as well. So fixing the defense and team movement has clearly been the priority.

Now we need goal, and chances in the box.
    Hard to argue with fixing the back first. Honestly seeing a competent keeper and an organized backline has been great to watch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

I think our scrubs actually won most of those games when Altidore, Bradley, and Gio were all missing to various degrees in July-Sep 2017. They would have had to do so given we set the points record.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sean Johnson went the full 90 for the US Wednesday night in their 1-1 draw with Mexico in Phoenix. With travel, regeneration etc. I will be curious on what are the odds we see Thomas Romero in net Saturday night. Sean will either have to fly back to Toronto, only to travel with the team to Philly on Friday or fly directly there and have no training for the next before the match. Will be interesting to see what Bob decides.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think our scrubs actually won most of those games when Altidore, Bradley, and Gio were all missing to various degrees in July-Sep 2017. They would have had to do so given we set the points record.
    Yeah, hence the talk of great depth. It didn’t seem to matter who we played.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Sean Johnson went the full 90 for the US Wednesday night in their 1-1 draw with Mexico in Phoenix. With travel, regeneration etc. I will be curious on what are the odds we see Thomas Romero in net Saturday night. Sean will either have to fly back to Toronto, only to travel with the team to Philly on Friday or fly directly there and have no training for the next before the match. Will be interesting to see what Bob decides.
    My guess is Bob still plays Johnson. I'm sure he wants to have the best 11 out there, we don't really want to drop more points and philly is a pretty capable team so hopefully another draw would be a good result. Guessing Insigne might start and go for 45-60 mins?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Sean will play. Doesn't seem like a guy who would say no.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting that the only place I saw discussion of possible TFC suspensions for the post game last week....was in here.

Berna on a 1 & done for the next is not surprising - Puig is as well for LAG - Seba was the same - offensively interested, defensively trying but doing striker tackles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Interesting that the only place I saw discussion of possible TFC suspensions for the post game last week....was in here.

Berna on a 1 & done for the next is not surprising - Puig is as well for LAG - Seba was the same - offensively interested, defensively trying but doing striker tackles.
    You're being generous. Two of Fede's cards were for dissent, beaking at the Ref. Somewhat unnecessary although I'd rather he's that passionate than he doesn't care.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

I think MLS is having real issues with the level of refereeing, and are facing kind of a conundrum.

Just to pick our game last week, their were 12 players on the pitch who know what proper refereeing looks like, in Europe and South America. A whole bunch of guys with Euro and World Cup experience.

But if they start suspending those types of players, ie Fede or Richie.... it would cause a deep dive on looking at the refs calls, and if those are in fact blown or missed calls, that would then cause a "mickey mouse bad look" for the league. Mickey mouse bad looks aren't what Apple was promised.

So I think the solution is that are turning a blind eye to behaviours that look pretty much like automatic suspensions, when said behaviour is born out by a review of the facts.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Didn’t Molinaro report Diomande was back training with TFC last week? New or re-aggravated injury? Ditto, perhaps by others reporting and not Molinaro, on VV?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if it was Molinaro, but yes, Diomande and Vazquez were both training at some point recently. Hedges is good news, but sounds like (so far) we won't see him this weekend.
    Last edited by Graeme; 04-20-2023 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Spelling

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    ^ Didn’t Molinaro report Diomande was back training with TFC last week? New or re-aggravated injury? Ditto, perhaps by others reporting and not Molinaro, on VV?
    Haha yeah on the 18th he said that Diomande was in full training..sooo what is it now?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We seem to be getting our "so what happens when MB isn't available" situation.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 04-20-2023 at 10:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    Second week in a row. Interesting. Let’s see what BB does.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 04-20-2023 at 11:51 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 613reppingTFC View Post
    Haha yeah on the 18th he said that Diomande was in full training..sooo what is it now?
    Muscle injury, so they likely have limited duty even when resuming training. Another week, at least, I'd suspect.

That chart above doesn’t make me feel better about what happens when TFC clusters draws like that.

for what it's worth, those 2010 and 2013 TFC teams went on to start losing games, not winning them. The 2010 slide led a complete blowup of everything, including the departure of Dero, Mo and Preki.

I know I know, different time, different team…. Anyways, carry on
    This year is a little different. We have the fifth-best difference between expected goals and expected allowed in the league; the only thing letting us down is touches in the box and having a central attacking presence.

Our defensive strength is so much greater this year than last that we can win a LOT of 1-0 games if we can actually get a striker scoring regularly. None of ours even have a touch in the six-yard box after eight games, and only a few in the 18.

Offensively at least, we're basically playing with 10-10.5 men all the time.
    Last edited by jloome; 04-20-2023 at 12:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    I think Sean will play. Doesn't seem like a guy who would say no.
    That goal last night (a baaad defensive giveaway) was the first he's given up in an international in 800-plus minutes, apparently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    ^
    Second week in a row. Interesting. Let’s see what BB does.
    I’m expecting a version of what worked best last week: Osorio, MAK and Servania as the midfield. Insigne plays a half, maybe, and JMR there when Insigne’s off.

Maybe what’s trickier is what the midfield looks like when MB is back….

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I’d like to see Diomande can get on the field. There’s been nothing to suggest we don’t desperately need a striker and he’s the hope… the sooner the better. With Kerr out I’d give Perruza another half to see if he can begin to adjust to the speed of the Italians game.

Also have to think that if either Ayo or Peruzza can get even one goal they would gain some confidence.

edit: And if Diomande does get on the pitch, even for 15, it should be with Insigne and Bernie.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 04-20-2023 at 03:20 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Berna questionable for phila game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JosephFC View Post
    Berna questionable for phila game
    Yeah just saw that from Davidson. That’s really too bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Yeah just saw that from Davidson. That’s really too bad.
    And still limited minutes for Insgine, along with possibly none for Diomande and Vazquez.

So we might be down Hedges, Bradley, Insigne, Bernadeschi, Diomande and Vazquez.

Eep.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And still limited minutes for Insgine, along with possibly none for Diomande and Vazquez.

So we might be down Hedges, Bradley, Insigne, Bernadeschi, Diomande and Vazquez.

Eep.
    So before we were saying a draw would be a good result; now I think we'll be sacrificing goats for one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eep.
    That's definitely not a good sign. Think I will skip watching this one.

Best we can hope for is a start the car kind of draw.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best we can hope for is a start the car kind of draw.
    This is our thing now and I am sticking to my draw prediction no matter who plays.

Only draws.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    This is our thing now and I am sticking to my draw prediction no matter who plays.

Only draws.
    1-32-1 season record.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1-32-1 season record.
    My dream is 3 - 30 - 1

Have to beat Montreal twice.