Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    JMR was so good after he came in.
    We’re we watching the same game?
    He didn’t close down on the player on the cross that led to the goal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice, about time we flip the script and take some late game points. Now that Insigne is back, and assuming he can get slowly brought back up to match fitness - it will be interesting how things go from here on the field. Bernadeschi was basically the lone 'guy' out there and is used to getting the ball... alot... as chemistry has grown in the squad this season. How is that going to change now that insigne is out there, who's gonna want the ball as much or more? Might see Berna adapting with frustration over a couple games with less ball, but that's a good problem to have I guess. Hopefully not tho, and Berna/Laryea are allowed to continue building the ball into the zone- cause they finally seem to be really clicking and growing into each other now. Hopefully we can start building some wins now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    We’re we watching the same game?
    He didn’t close down on the player on the cross that led to the goal
    They switched cover; Chol peeled off inside and Petretta had to cover him, so JMR wasn't close enough to block the cross.

He was generally very good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL, MLS parity? Right now, seven of nine matches so far are ties.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I couldn't resist looking this up, the all-time record for ties in the regular season is 18 and we're already a third of the way there

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought Ted Unkel was dreadful. Multiple tackles through the back not called in favour of Toronto, incl a few in very dangerous positions. Meanwhile he called some weaker fouls of a similar nature in favour of Atlanta.

TFC did quite well overall. We desperately need a striker, and Peruzza needs a running coach. But it's a bit scary how well Atlanta did, considering how many of their best players were missing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to see a goal scored in open play without Fede/Laryea involved.

Minutes away from a loss, so a draw is a good outcome. I'll take it.

Should Insigne play 60+ minutes next week, anything less than a win is unacceptable. It's all on Bob.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    They switched cover; Chol peeled off inside and Petretta had to cover him, so JMR wasn't close enough to block the cross.

He was generally very good.
    I left at 90 minutes to escape the tunnel so I missed his nice pass that led to the tying goal. Lol
    That was a nice play. Haha you could be right

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What were tfc arguing with the ref after the tying goal and post game?? Fede seemed very heated and was being held back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another minute of gameplay should have happened. I assume TFC got the ball back and whistle was blown perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by benito View Post
    What were tfc arguing with the ref after the tying goal and post game?? Fede seemed very heated and was being held back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benito View Post
    I just got back. Was hoping to find out what that was about.

At the final whistle, Laryea started going completely nuts in trying to engage a linesman about something, and chased down and made physical contact with the linesman (which I fear may have consequences).

Kaye and Fede were also very agitated, and there was a scrum of TFC players, the refs, and some others that went on for a good 3 or 4 minutes.

I am telling you, our guys were REALLY heated.

————

One thing for sure: they were not happy with Unkel, both for how he didn’t make some calls, and also because he was allowing persistent fouling without showing a yellow, especially on Fede. But what happened at the end must have had some sort of other cause that I did not see.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-15-2023 at 09:56 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I just got back. Was hoping to find out what that was about.

At the final whistle, Laryea started going completely nuts in trying to engage a linesman about something, and chased down and made physical contact with the linesman (which I fear may have consequences).

Kaye and Fede were also very agitated, and there was a scrum of TFC players, the refs, and some others that went on for a good 3 or 4 minutes.

I am telling you, our guys were REALLY heated.
    If I was TFC during that match, I'd be pretty heated too - that first half was shambolic from the refs from the sheer number of memorable missed calls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it may have been due to time not being added on? I saw Berna immediately start pointing to his wrist and shouting at the referee as soon as the celebrations were over, before he blew for full time. So they were already heated about that

Of course injury time in soccer is an arbitrary, made up as we go along mess and needs to be fixed, but that's another rant for another day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fede appeared to shove someone (Oso?) but definitely a teammate. He was heated

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    I think it may have been due to time not being added on? I saw Berna immediately start pointing to his wrist and shouting at the referee as soon as the celebrations were over, before he blew for full time. So they were already heated about that

Of course injury time in soccer is an arbitrary, made up as we go along mess and needs to be fixed, but that's another rant for another day
    I thought Laryea went full braveheart there in a way that way exceeded a player of his stature complaining about how injury time was handled. He made contact with the linesman.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No surprise that Coello is not ready to replace MB. Maybe in time, maybe not (he’s not especially a 6 but then neither is Micheal). Also, the much hoped for midfield without Bradley was not so great.

I thought it was smart to put JMR on the wing and get Osorio properly into the midfield. He’s going to play there eventually and we certainly want Insigne in that position.

We’re going to really miss Layrea.

Nice to see Servania and JMR save the day! Fingers crossed for Diomande because, man, we’re desperate for a striker.

Should have won, almost lost and so the draw is a consolation. But we need to start winning soon. We retain the last playoff spot but I doubt a draw next week will have the same effect.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It also looked like the ref showed someone a yellow (might have been Kaye) after the whistle and that scrum that was going on

Edit: also Bernardeschi now has 4 yellow cards
    Last edited by 613reppingTFC; 04-15-2023 at 10:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can’t believe I had to miss the game and this is the one Perruzza finally gets minutes- did the kid look okay?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    I can’t believe I had to miss the game and this is the one Perruzza finally gets minutes- did the kid look okay?
    In a word - No

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That game was a lot of fun, seeing both teams press was entaining, the goals were all of high caliber, and it has been years since we got a result at the death.

I am just left with a sense of unease about what happened after the whistle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    He made a good dummy run on Richie's goal to pull one of the defenders off him.

He wasn't terrible but he didn't really do anything. He tried to make a few parallel line runs to beat the last man but his timing was poor, and he was always going a step late for Fede to look for him.

His pressing defensively was quite good, better than Akinola's. Neither could hold the ball up high, which is what I think Bob wanted.

Neither looked ready.
    Last edited by jloome; 04-15-2023 at 11:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    That game was a lot of fun, seeing both teams press was entaining, the goals were all of high caliber, and it has been years since we got a result at the death.

I am just left with a sense of unease about what happened after the whistle.
    I thought Fede grabbed Oso's arm and shook it, because he was pissed off the whistle was blown early and wanted Oso to say something to the Ref, as Oso was wearing the armband tonight.

They cut away on the TV shot at that point, but a few seconds later, there was a clear shot of Oso talking to Unkel from about an inch away.

There were too many marginal fouls against us let go tonight; then we had the momentum after the goal, and should have about a minute forty left to play, but Unkel called it early.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He made a good dummy run on… He wasn't terrible but he didn't really do anything… a step late for Fede to look for him… His pressing defensively was quite good…
    IMHO, think he deserves another chance; not worse than Akinola. Though for now Kerr just edges out both these CF’s.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn’t get to watch much of this one. My antidotal observation is that Rosted needs that organizer next to him to play at the highest level. But also ATL have a great DP striker and that was a quality goal and run.

Osorio will forever be the guy forced to play 5 different positions that people needlessly shit on. There are basically 2 roles in midfield he plays best and that’s ideally where he should be playing. The lack of a back up for LI on the left side is sort of glaring. We should have someone who can play there.

Otherwise, seems like the team is very frustrated below the surface. Let’s be honest, they have to know these ties at home are a real killer if they want to keep pace in the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at the Eastern Conference standings, there are no real dominant teams. Only 8 points separates us and New England.

Still early days yet, steady as she goes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get the Fede/Oso clock thing. I am talking about something different.

I cannot ever remember being at a game where I saw a player (Laryea) go absolutely nuts, chase a lineman who is almost running away from him, catch the linesman, jostle him, I immediately think “omg Laryea just got a suspension”… and nobody else seems to have seen it anywhere.

Just looked on twitter, nothing there. Anybody else see this? Am I imagining this? I only had one beer…
    Last edited by ensco; 04-16-2023 at 07:50 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was in the parking lot for the tying goal, trying to get my seven year old home before the rush. Bummed about that but at least we heard the cheers.

Glad we pulled it out. But damn fhere is really something missing on this team. Our play is so vertical. All up and down. Very little sideways. No recycling the ball around. No patterns being run. Totally reliant on mistakes or individual brilliance, like Richie’s goal. Big improvements at the back but would be nice to see some progress in possession.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

Thanks for this but what a joke that recap was… it was like the Atlanta Fan Channel, oh with 2 Toronto goals. We had 53% possession, 11 (4) Shots On Goal to the 10 (5) and looks like we saw everyone. It shows absolutely no disputed calls, PRO must love that. You would think Atlanta dominated the game from this recap, I am not saying we did either, but wow. Now i have to go rewatch some of the game again, to see if i was biased on thinking we were chopped down a significant amount.

Also they focussed on Chol coming into the game at the 60th minute, but the nothing on Giokoumakis going down or Insigne coming in at the 75 minute, those are the big MLS implications…imho

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I was in the parking lot for the tying goal, trying to get my seven year old home before the rush. Bummed about that but at least we heard the cheers.

Glad we pulled it out. But damn fhere is really something missing on this team. Our play is so vertical. All up and down. Very little sideways. No recycling the ball around. No patterns being run. Totally reliant on mistakes or individual brilliance, like Richie’s goal. Big improvements at the back but would be nice to see some progress in possession.
    Yeah I do this regularly. Staying for the last two minutes can cost you 20 or 30 minutes.

Easy to see why you left. I don’t think TFC has pulled something out in stoppage time in many years, before last night. This is the last one I remember…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QQTNQK2VxUY