Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bob Bradley Evaluation Thread

So? BBradley. His TFC managerial style and results are not impressing. Is doubt becoming pervasive? Is their blood in the water? If the club doesn't start winning as was expected... at least a few of their upcoming matches over the next 5, maybe 10... should he stay or should he go? If it is #BBradleyOut! does MBradley have to follow? Or does BBradley sidestep into the GM role and hire a manager; say Berhalter? Is the identity, the DNA, of this team, too rooted in the nostalgia of Vanney ball? Would a Vanney-esque mister be a reasonable solution? If the possibility presents itself, would you trade JMR to get Nancy? I might. What say you?

Kind acknowledgement to Kamp Berg, U&P and jloome for some of their notions, inspiring, and utilizied in, this post.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 03-13-2023 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Grammar & Update

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do find it a touch depressing that lately I enjoy watching the hated LA Galaxy more than watching us play. Vanney is not without his faults but they are mostly reasonable faults. He is respectful of his players talents, has insight into them and is a student of the game (hence stands a good chance to continue to improve as a coach).

So far, the Bob regime has been ugly. But it’s not quite like Curtis Armas madness. And there was that season or two when LAFC was really good, and indeed played “good football”.

Going through a manager (and now a sporting director) and 15+ players every season is not on for me. I think you’ve got to give him the season. Also, so far he’s had carte blanche from upper management and this in no way suggests to me that he’s on a short leash. The season ticket holders are at a record high. People who may not care much about the club buy tickets to see the famous Italians. I really would be surprised if he went anywhere this season. Even with the mediocre start and injury problems we should be making the playoffs.

Nancy, I like. He’s a very interesting dude and his teams seem to play accordingly (here’s our MLS 3-4-3/3-4-2-1). He just began at Columbus and unless Bez picks a fistfight with him (here’s to you, Joey!) I don’t think he’s going anywhere either.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 03-13-2023 at 12:31 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At this point I’d like to see BM, BB, and MB all go. I hate the thought of another rebuild, so maybe a new GM and coach would be enough if Manning moved into the shadows and stopped taking part in roster decisions. Unfortunately I don’t think BM has the ability to choose a new GM. Basically we’re stuck in a catch 22, barring some sort of miracle. I keep hoping that BB will accept his situation and find some real flexibility, but unfortunately he only seems to be flexible when he doesn’t have a choice, and always too late.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate to say this because I thoroughly enjoy him ruining the USMNT but I think Berhalter is the kind of manager who could walk in and we would be way better in a months time. His endless need to tinker is tempered by the limits of a MLS roster so he could just settle into his Vanney-like tinkering with tactics and formation rather than with personnel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also if we don't get 3 points on Saturday then this thread's title should switch to the Bob Bradley Deathwatch Thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't say deathwatch just yet - Bob should still get some time for his mostly new team to gel & for us to play with a contender for league MVP in Insigine who could add so much to us. If we see signs of life in a few games, I'd give him a summer window to see if there's a solid plan in place to fix the glaring issues that we have

But it has not been good. For this investment, we need to be a team that's contending, and we look lightyears away from it. I don't have alot of confidence that it'll happen given everything we've seen so far (This team seems to be riddled with issues and managerial blindspots), but, let's give him a bit more time to see what happens. He took a huge 'all in' bet on this team, he should be given the chance to see how they will actually perform once they're up and running

He'll need to start showing something in the next month or two, though. If we still look absolutely miles off the pace as summer approaches I wouldn't see a strong argument for keeping him and potentially wasting another transfer window
    Last edited by JoesphNdo; 03-13-2023 at 11:03 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading the following posted by KB in black and white in the Manning Evaluation Thread was one of the several instigation's for this thread... 'We’re 9-19–9 under BB. At this point no one should be talking about getting back to winning ways, should just be aimed at getting to winning ways... Since Vanney left: 28-42–24'. Ooof!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Also if we don't get 3 points on Saturday then this thread's title should switch to the Bob Bradley Deathwatch Thread.
    I mean, if we don’t show something in the next three games (and a win against a crap Charlotte team hardly says much), it’s hard to picture the 5 fixtures after that going any better. Because the schedule does not get easier.

I don’t know where I stand on all this. I just find myself annoyed and was expecting more from the club.

Sometimes I wish we had a less wealthy, more engaged ownership group that valued the fans more than this one. I’d trade the flashy signings for understated but well-performing players and an actual soccer only stadium.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 03-13-2023 at 10:49 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    I wouldn't say deathwatch just yet
    I'm not saying fired next Monday if we blow it but if we come out of the weekend still with 2 points or even 3 points plus get outplayed again then it's time to put everything under the microscope going forward. The Deathwatch rose when Vanney took over from Nelsen and it should have been started when Armas was rumored and at this point Bob had more time (and control) than both those two did before their watches began.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely Manning and the Bradleys must go. We can't get rid of MB this year, but offseason, must be gone and no role upstairs or sub role. A clean break. He remains a club legend like Seba and Altidore but has to go.

And no more America retreads like Manning and Bradly. Go South American or European for manager.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    ... if we don’t show something in the next three games... I don’t know where I stand on all this. I just find myself annoyed... an actual soccer only stadium.
    STL/CITYPARK. With an EPL/Bundesliga vibe MLS masterpiece stadium and stadium tifo? This...
    https://twitter.com/TMuk_newa/status/1632548873368371200
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 03-13-2023 at 11:12 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you stem the damage as early as possible.

I think he's wed philosophically to a style of play, and I think it's one that cannot compete in MLS anymore. In the early era, when half the starters were journeymen, the team that worked harder, pressed and controlled the ball for longer won games.

Now, teams know how to break out of containment quickly and utilize speed. All Columbus did in the second half was push its fullbacks up further to hems ours in and had the play move more laterally, including instructing Cucho and Zelarayan to move laterally and look for width.

That pushed our players further apart, which made progressive passing more difficult and exposed our lack of speed.

We did nothing.

I'm not saying he doesn't adjust, as there have been times when BB does exactly that. But I am saying that, like Jesse Marsch and Chris Armas, he is wedded to a philosophical system.

And this league benefits best from managers who adapt to the players they have, not those who try to match the roster to a style.

The Shaff decision was unforgivable on several levels. First, he was our best young prospect. Fuck all that noise about JMR and Nelson, as Shaff already had six goals for the first team, and looked dangerous whenever near goal.

Second, it appears we let him go because he refused to have his career ruined by a manager who thinks players are positionally interchangeable chess pieces. He tried to force Shaff into a FB role and Petrasso into winger. Then he cut them both. Now they're both STARTING at teams better than us.

We see this not just in his abysmal handling of our young talent, but in the fact that he uses rotations and player movement that routinely leave out-of-position players covering spots they have no business being near.

Third, he appears to have no motivational skill, and if anything, the dressing room comes out flatter in each second half than at the start of the game.

My vote would be to fire him now, to accept the signs are accurate and his style is untenable on a roster as imbalanced as ours. BRing in a coach with a multi-league winning pedigree, someone who has a history of tactical adaptation and leaving places better than he found them.

That means no MLS 1.0 coaches, even Curtin ( although why he'd leave Philly for our mess is beyond me). Curtin, Marsch, Preki... .all of Bob's "proteges" play single-system football. We can rave about how good Philly looks now, but he's been there for nine years without winning anything. It took them nine years just to get to the point of cohesion.

There's a reason none of these guys succeed in charge anymore, and it's tactical rigidity underpinned by philosophical beliefs.

To me, he has done immeasurably more harm than good. He has cost us several good young players, torn down the squad completely and we look no better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

I think he's wed philosophically to a style of play, and I think it's one that cannot compete in MLS anymore. In the early era, when half the starters were journeymen, the team that worked harder, pressed and controlled the ball for longer won games.
    I agree with your first point as this last season was pretty much ground zero. If ever a time to re-start, it's now. If we play out the year like this and then move Bob on next year then we've wasted 3 years of the two Italian DPs because 2024 will be another gelling year.

Your second point I didn't fully agree with earlier but now after seeing our tactical tweaks to cover for injury I see you were right about BB. He is another of the old style coaches where his time has passed for success in MLS.

Also, I know MAK & Osorio have been dreadful but I am willing to wager a different, more flexible manager could make the current XI work better than it currently is without any more changes.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 03-13-2023 at 11:58 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now, teams know how to break out of containment quickly and utilize speed. All Columbus did in the second half was push its fullbacks up further to hems ours in and had the play move more laterally, including instructing Cucho and Zelarayan to move laterally and look for width.

That pushed our players further apart, which made progressive passing more difficult and exposed our lack of speed.

We did nothing.

I'm not saying he doesn't adjust, as there have been times when BB does exactly that. But I am saying that, like Jesse Marsch and Chris Armas, he is wedded to a philosophical system.

And this league benefits best from managers who adapt to the players they have, not those who try to match the roster to a style.

The Shaff decision was unforgivable on several levels. First, he was our best young prospect. Fuck all that noise about JMR and Nelson, as Shaff already had six goals for the first team, and looked dangerous whenever near goal.

Second, it appears we let him go because he refused to have his career ruined by a manager who thinks players are positionally interchangeable chess pieces. He tried to force Shaff into a FB role and Petrasso into winger. Then he cut them both. Now they're both STARTING at teams better than us.

We see this not just in his abysmal handling of our young talent, but in the fact that he uses rotations and player movement that routinely leave out-of-position players covering spots they have no business being near.

Third, he appears to have no motivational skill, and if anything, the dressing room comes out flatter in each second half than at the start of the game.

My vote would be to fire him now, to accept the signs are accurate and his style is untenable on a roster as imbalanced as ours. BRing in a coach with a multi-league winning pedigree, someone who has a history of tactical adaptation and leaving places better than he found them.

That means no MLS 1.0 coaches, even Curtin ( although why he'd leave Philly for our mess is beyond me). Curtin, Marsch, Preki... .all of Bob's "proteges" play single-system football. We can rave about how good Philly looks now, but he's been there for nine years without winning anything. It took them nine years just to get to the point of cohesion.

There's a reason none of these guys succeed in charge anymore, and it's tactical rigidity underpinned by philosophical beliefs.

To me, he has done immeasurably more harm than good. He has cost us several good young players, torn down the squad completely and we look no better.
    I really thought he was bleeding the kids last year, to see who could hack it and who couldn’t. But now, in retrospect, it appears BB makes strange decision that are based in ideals instead of realities. His confidence, and his son’s, have gone from being assets to self-delusion, whereas BM’s was probably always just self-delusion. The mark of a truly great leader is knowing their limitations, I don’t see that anywhere in TFC’s leadership.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BM may be able to save his own ass if he brought in the right people immediately, a new savvy GM and a new coach, like Tata. I doubt he can though, we’re more likely to be subjected to a slow death.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    BM may be able to save his own ass if he brought in the right people immediately, a new savvy GM and a new coach, like Tata. I doubt he can though, we’re more likely to be subjected to a slow death.
    He could but he won't. He would get another MLS or USMNT alumni for sure. This is clearly the Manning way. That's why I said Berhalter. He ticks all the Manning boxes; won in MLS, friendly with the family, was USMNT manager at the WC. To him this is a PR win and is another opportunity for a fancy press conference, possibly even some wining & dining. I could see Porter too but I don't think he would be choice #1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Sometimes I wish we had a less wealthy, more engaged ownership group that valued the fans more than this one. I’d trade the flashy signings for understated but well-performing players and an actual soccer only stadium.
    I think pretty much every TFC supporter wants the same thing, but the problem is there aren't enough of us. Let me elaborate.

I view the Pozuelo signing as a good one. He carried TFC on his back to the 2019 MLS Cup, and close to the Shield in 2020, plus he won league MVP. He made the team better and helped it win, BUT he didn't sell many tickets and therein lies the problem. I recall the 2019 play-off game at BMO against D.C. and there were a lot of empty seats. During that whole play-off run in 2019 there was nowhere near the enthusiasm and buzz about the team like there was in 2017 when Seba was here. I kept thinking that if TFC won the Cup how many people would show up for the parade and would it be embarrassing?

In my view Toronto is not a good sports town. The only team that gets continued support is the Leafs. Even the Jays and Raptors see their support drop significantly when the team is losing. I recall going to Raptors games a decade ago and whole sections in the upper level corners were mostly empty. Furthermore unlike the NHL or NBA, MLS is not the top league in its sport, nor is it the second, third, fourth etc.

In order to sell MLS in this market you need to bring in name players like Insigne and Berna. Having a competitive team year in and year out is not enough. As a result DP signings will probably continue to focus more on players that can market the club and sell tickets, and less on building a solid roster that wins championships.
    Last edited by NK Toronto; 03-13-2023 at 12:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    I think pretty much every TFC supporter wants the same thing, but the problem is there aren't enough of us. Let me elaborate.

I view the Pozuelo signing as a good one. He carried TFC on his back to the 2019 MLS Cup, and close to the Shield in 2020, plus he won league MVP. He made the team better and helped it win, BUT he didn't sell many tickets and therein lies the problem. I recall the 2019 play-off game at BMO against D.C. and there were a lot of empty seats. During that whole play-off run in 2019 there was nowhere near the enthusiasm and buzz about the team like there was in 2017 when Seba was here. I kept thinking that if TFC won the Cup how many people would show up for the parade and would it be embarrassing?

In my view Toronto is not a good sports town. The only team that gets continued support is the Leafs. Even the Jays and Raptors see their support drop when the team is losing. I recall going to Raptors games a decade ago and whole sections in the upper level corners were mostly empty. Furthermore unlike the NHL or NBA, MLS is not the top league in its sport, nor is it the second, third, fourth etc.

In order to sell MLS in this market you need to bring in name players like Insigne and Berna. Having a competitive team year in and year out is not enough. As a result DP signings will probably continue to focus more on players that can market the club and sell tickets, and less on building a solid roster that wins championships.
    Probably true. Which is why we need leadership that is used to a ‘big teams’ pressure filled environment. Someone who can marry the money and demands to the realities of the team and league. Not people with small or old-fashioned thinking. Maybe a new president needs to come from another top level NA sport? Someone who understands an environment like MLSE and let the GM and coach run the team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe a new president needs to come from another top level NA sport? Someone who understands an environment like MLSE and let the GM and coach run the team.
    Should have dropped a dump truck full gold bars on Lagerway's driveway last summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post

In my view Toronto is not a good sports town. The only team that gets continued support is the Leafs. Even the Jays and Raptors see their support drop significantly when the team is losing. I recall going to Raptors games a decade ago and whole sections in the upper level corners were mostly empty. Furthermore unlike the NHL or NBA, MLS is not the top league in its sport, nor is it the second, third, fourth etc.

I’m going to disagree with you here slightly. Yes, people are are cynical and fair weathering but look at the ownership groups they have to put up with.

I think the splashy signings are what’s happening to get management off the hook. We have a few crap years of performance and pretty sluggish interest, they basically try and buy their way back into being interesting to the public.

It’s hard to build an audience of loyal fans based on community. It takes consistent execution on and off the field. Let’s face it, it is in this ownership group’s DNA to think short term.

They would happily price every supporter in the stadium out of their tickets in return for corporate dollars, if they could get them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should have dropped a dump truck full gold bars on Lagerway's driveway last summer.
    You’re absolutely right, but MLSE doesn’t have the forethought, and BM probably felt way too threatened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really thought he was bleeding the kids last year, to see who could hack it and who couldn’t. But now, in retrospect, it appears BB makes strange decision that are based in ideals instead of realities. His confidence, and his son’s, have gone from being assets to self-delusion, whereas BM’s was probably always just self-delusion. The mark of a truly great leader is knowing their limitations, I don’t see that anywhere in TFC’s leadership.
    To me Shaff and Petrasso both had already proven their value as young players who could be useful and only getting better. Putting them both at fullback and playing the more inexperienced kids also often out of position still baffles me. The only thing that made sense then and now is that as sporting director he’d just ousted 2/3 of the roster and now he had to turn to coaching to get through the first season. These were the guys left standing. It was expediency and little to do with making any of the kids better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We did nothing.

This was pretty clear at the stadium:

“All Columbus did in the second half was push its fullbacks up further to hems ours in and had the play move more laterally, including instructing Cucho and Zelarayan to move laterally and look for width.

That pushed our players further apart, which made progressive passing more difficult and exposed our lack of speed.”

Too, they are set up to do this quite easily, personnel and formation. It should be expected. We’re no Philly.

I still think BB went overboard with the coach/sporting director role in the first pre-season and by the opener (and certainly already by match 3 or 4) it was pretty clear we were going to suck for most of the season. He was given that license by upper management with the expectation that next season, with his players, would be better. We’re still only three games into the season. Insigne has hardly played and our two (maybe) serviceable strikers are injured. No way he’s going anywhere. I wouldn’t be surprised that if we have an injury-riddled season he’s back next season to have a shot at coaching the guys he brought/brings in.

That’s how I’m reading the situation. I’d be shocked if he wasn’t given the season.

Personally, I think he’s got to be allowed at least half a season. If Manning backs Bradley getting rid of 30-40 players in 14 months it would be crazy to fire him just at the moment he has his preferred starting eleven.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    This was pretty clear at the stadium:

“All Columbus did in the second half was push its fullbacks up further to hems ours in and had the play move more laterally, including instructing Cucho and Zelarayan to move laterally and look for width.

That pushed our players further apart, which made progressive passing more difficult and exposed our lack of speed.”

Too, they are set up to do this quite easily, personnel and formation. It should be expected. We’re no Philly.

I still think BB went overboard with the coach/sporting director role in the first pre-season and by the opener (and certainly already by match 3 or 4) it was pretty clear we were going to suck for most of the season. He was given that license by upper management with the expectation that next season, with his players, would be better. We’re still only three games into the season. Insigne has hardly played and our two (maybe) serviceable strikers are injured. No way he’s going anywhere. I wouldn’t be surprised that if we have an injury-riddled season he’s back next season to have a shot at coaching the guys he brought/brings in.

That’s how I’m reading the situation. I’d be shocked if he wasn’t given the season.

Personally, I think he’s got to be allowed at least half a season. If Manning backs Bradley getting rid of 30-40 players in 14 months it would be crazy to fire him just at the moment he has his preferred starting eleven.
    I'm not saying he'll do it, I just think it's what the evidence points to as the best decision at this point.

I think that as much as his typical American overconfidence annoys me, Matthew Doyle is astute sometimes tactically. He has a good piece about Charlotte this week and how they're unable to keep up with the complexity of rotational demands placed on them by Lattanzo, how they're rotating too slow and someone is always out of position.

And it reminded me of us.

I wonder if we're just too complicated on a week-by-week basis. We need to simplify, perhaps. Either way, he seems wedded to his methodology.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not saying he'll do it, I just think it's what the evidence points to as the best decision at this point.

I think that as much as his typical American overconfidence annoys me, Matthew Doyle is astute sometimes tactically. He has a good piece about Charlotte this week and how they're unable to keep up with the complexity of rotational demands placed on them by Lattanzo, how they're rotating too slow and someone is always out of position.

And it reminded me of us.

I wonder if we're just too complicated on a week-by-week basis. We need to simplify, perhaps. Either way, he seems wedded to his methodology.
    Yeah, this seems reasonable. So far we haven’t seen anything like the football Bradley seems to want to play.

At least the season is going to be interesting (barring major injuries). Last season, for at least half the season, there wasn’t much reason to watch, not from a football perspective.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 03-13-2023 at 04:02 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Will depend on if he still has the players on his side or if he loses the room.

I still think he doesn't get fired or leave completely. I believe the Bradleys are now a legacy family in TFC. That's why I said I could see Bob step away from the side lines and say there is so much mess in contracts that he has to focus behind the scenes and in player recuitment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think he doesn't get fired or leave completely. I believe the Bradleys are now a legacy family in TFC. That's why I said I could see Bob step away from the side lines and say there is so much mess in contracts that he has to focus behind the scenes and in player recuitment.
    Bob has yet to prove he can do that gig. I suppose it could happen but he seems pretty committed to coaching. If anything makes sense it would be finding him a proper GM and letting him not have to split his focus on two all-engrossing jobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This legacy family part is what terrifies me. IF there is rot (I suspect there is, but will give him time to prove me wrong) then we'll be stuck with this rot for years and we'll squander years of high spending and absurdly talented DPs on it with little reason to believe it will succeed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    This legacy family part is what terrifies me. IF there is rot (I suspect there is, but will give him time to prove me wrong) then we'll be stuck with this rot for years and we'll squander years of high spending and absurdly talented DPs on it with little reason to believe it will succeed
    Scares the crap out of me too...both Bradleys need to go. Clean break and on we go.

Still in 3 games hasn't take his son off...all three games we had a lead and blew it as he stands there with his arms folded slow to react to makings subs and only var call in atlanta and a inside of the post the other night late saved us from going 0 for 3.

If we lose Saturday, sorry, get rid of him at the final whistle. With the players we have, someone can come in and salvage the year and start rolling.

Bob's not coaching "in a good way". So he must go.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

officially - fire everybody, this team is dysfunctional if a 'might play this week' turned into '3-4 months out'