Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insigne may be optimal for some other team, but at the end of the day he is still Lorenzo Insigne. Adapt, be flexible, improvise even, but instead we get arrogance, foolhardiness, and seemingly a total lack of accountability.

He's both coach and sporting director precisely to limit the amount of cooks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hala Hrvatska View Post
    Sorry brother, no more American retreads. Enough is enough with them. Get a proven coach with Euro experience. Culture change is needed immediately.

And agreed. we'd be better off with this exact line up with Berhalter and Armas. With literally anyone in fact. This team has tuned out BB and his clueless tactics (or lack thereof). I can only imagine what the Italians and players that have played in Europe think of BB.
    i agree enough of these american retreads...bill and bob have to go now.bring in a real sporting director.when has bob ever done that job .it was another lazy move by that clown manning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning needs to go first and the new President of TFC will not have anything to do with the Argos and will choose the next coach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ElvistheEvilScotsman View Post
    Manning needs to go first and the new President of TFC will not have anything to do with the Argos and will choose the next coach.
    If MLSE likes him so much, they could always shift Manning to only be president of the Argos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    If MLSE likes him so much, they could always shift Manning to only be president of the Argos.
    Excellent suggestion!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ElvistheEvilScotsman View Post
    Excellent suggestion!!!
    I thought so! Lol

Unfortunately, I don’t think the board will even notice unless everything goes horribly this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hala Hrvatska View Post
    Sorry brother, no more American retreads. Enough is enough with them. Get a proven coach with Euro experience. Culture change is needed immediately.

And agreed. we'd be better off with this exact line up with Berhalter and Armas. With literally anyone in fact. This team has tuned out BB and his clueless tactics (or lack thereof). I can only imagine what the Italians and players that have played in Europe think of BB.
    The problem is as long as Manning is still around even if we get rid of BB it will be another American out of his rolodex. At this point I would even be open to trying of Vieira. He knows the league and NYCFC improved every year under him. Granted he had a rough go at Crystal Palace.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    The problem is as long as Manning is still around even if we get rid of BB it will be another American out of his rolodex. At this point I would even be open to trying of Vieira. He knows the league and NYCFC improved every year under him. Granted he had a rough go at Crystal Palace.
    At this point going off the board for some random Euro is too risky. Most fail, especially "name" ones.

Viera has experience here and did okay but he worries me too. He has a short lifespan at clubs and seems hit or miss. Of all the available non-American managers I would only feel secure with Tata. He had success and he knows what he's doing.

But I can't see it. If anything happens it's Bob going upstairs to be GM/Technical Director and he hires his replacement and that will be some American guy to tweak his system like a Berhalter or Porter. Depends on which one got on better with the Bradley family and does things "in a good way".

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we are talking a replacement, please take off ALL the big names in Europe.

As was pointed out for the USMNT position, no way somebody making 12 million Euros (Jose) is coming to North America for 2 million a year (likely the most MLSE would be willing to go on a coach).

Now, as the replacement of BB at this time of the year would require a person willing to get the team as currently constructed to work, I don't think

a) a change will happen until July at the earliest
    b) would be anybody big

I think if this year fails, it fails at the "didn't make it to the playoffs" stage & then both BB & BM are out. Not until then.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    If we are talking a replacement, please take off ALL the big names in Europe.

As was pointed out for the USMNT position, no way somebody making 12 million Euros (Jose) is coming to North America for 2 million a year (likely the most MLSE would be willing to go on a coach).

Now, as the replacement of BB at this time of the year would require a person willing to get the team as currently constructed to work, I don't think

a) a change will happen until July at the earliest
    b) would be anybody big

I think if this year fails, it fails at the "didn't make it to the playoffs" stage & then both BB & BM are out. Not until then.
    My God imagine who would be available from Europe at the end of their season who would make the mid season shift to MLS. The chances they would adapt and mold the squad in time to make it a winner...well, I'll just say it's refreshing to see that kind of optimism here again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    My God imagine who would be available from Europe at the end of their season who would make the mid season shift to MLS. The chances they would adapt and mold the squad in time to make it a winner...well, I'll just say it's refreshing to see that kind of optimism here again.

Tata was one of the managers approached by Leeds, because he has managed Barcelona and other big clubs. He loves MLS, he's available and he has a career winning percentage above 50%, which for a manager of his pedigree is almost unheard of. He has literally never had a losing side in thirty-plus years of management.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/tata-...a-united-coach

He said that on FRIDAY.

I think he very much IS one of those managers who is talented and flexible enough to just turn a team around with tactical changes. His players would walk through a wall for him, which doesn't always mean a manager is a winner .... but is also a feature of nearly every great manager.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Tata was one of the managers approached by Leeds, because he has managed Barcelona and other big clubs. He loves MLS, he's available and he has a career winning percentage above 50%, which for a manager of his pedigree is almost unheard of. He has literally never had a losing side in thirty-plus years of management.

He said that on FRIDAY.

I think he very much IS one of those managers who is talented and flexible enough to just turn a team around with tactical changes. His players would walk through a wall for him, which doesn't always mean a manager is a winner .... but is also a feature of nearly every great manager.
    Yeh, he's the ONLY guy out there I would trust to turn this around before the end of the year. But I don't think that is how this is going to go down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He said that on FRIDAY.

The only problem with hiring Tata is it would probably obscure Manning’s bungling and save him from getting fired. I personally think Manning is a major part of the problem. That said, it would be awfully hard to be upset about it.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He said that on FRIDAY.

That's amazing! Let's see if Tata takes the bait. Any other finds for prospective managers please share in here. Tata sounds like a unicorn of an opportunity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    That's amazing! Let's see if Tata takes the bait. Any other finds for prospective managers please share in here. Tata sounds like a unicorn of an opportunity.
    One which will likely have passed by the time we implode. Quite frustrating. If I thought he was ever going to make this tactical approach work with this set of players, I'd be more optimistic. But I suspect this year will end with Bob getting fired long after Tata has already signed somewhere else. He's in a fair degree of demand.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One which will likely have passed by the time we implode. Quite frustrating. If I thought he was ever going to make this tactical approach work with this set of players, I'd be more optimistic. But I suspect this year will end with Bob getting fired long after Tata has already signed somewhere else. He's in a fair degree of demand.
    This is exactly what will happen and then we'll hire whichever American manager is still unemployed or newly unemployed (Porter, Berhalter, Vermes). Just a roladex full of winners to flip through.

Then rinse & repeat just in time for the lead up to 2026.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is ridiculous. A lot weren't happy he was hired, I myself was on the fence.

what bothers me the most is- he tore down a team and tanked value of players- this is all good to me- if he had a vision or players on a list he was targeting as he gutted the roster.

Signings like sapong - whose contract ends this season- isnt a long term solution. To put in perspective - long term rebuild- clean house but then have no strategy or plan for replacements.

Diomande & Sapong-doesnt seem like he had a plan the year before- he had a long long time to target solid players while tearing the team down.

I really cant say I am happy with- S.J., M.A.K, M.B, R.L(I prefer to have lawrence)

this is craziness - at least if you are going to gut the team he should have targets for each position over 12 months ago- and it seems like TFC settles for old and often injured players to go along with our inept medical staff.

His coach style -he seems full of arrogance and took a whole season before he started being flexible- I dont understand how he only wants to work with players he worked with in the past- does he know other players wont accept his bull or nonsense?

How many coaches last this long with 1 win on the season. SMH- Philly exposed TFC so bad and the biggest highlight was exposing the coaching tactics and strategies.- Why pull of Bernie.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes people think a player is good based on what they have done ...and then that player turns out to not be able to stay that way or get better.

e.g.

Akinola - good bet based on what was seen as the cap hit was small & the potential sell on huge - but has not been able to get back to pre-ACL form.

McNaughton - worth a flyer as the best CPL defender - couldn't step it up against higher speed opposition

To me, the issue with TFC long term has not changed - we are unable to develop players out of our academy. JMR & Nelson are the first ones, really. We saw some prospects the last few years (compared to pre 2015 when we saw none). But, we can't seem to grow decent ones.

That is a long term fix that in theory Vanney had solved but it looks like there was a bit too much "oh you are good!" when there should have been a bit more "that's great for this level - you want to play in the show? - you need to step up even more, and consistently"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Sometimes people think a player is good based on what they have done ...and then that player turns out to not be able to stay that way or get better.

e.g.

Akinola - good bet based on what was seen as the cap hit was small & the potential sell on huge - but has not been able to get back to pre-ACL form.

McNaughton - worth a flyer as the best CPL defender - couldn't step it up against higher speed opposition

To me, the issue with TFC long term has not changed - we are unable to develop players out of our academy. JMR & Nelson are the first ones, really. We saw some prospects the last few years (compared to pre 2015 when we saw none). But, we can't seem to grow decent ones.

That is a long term fix that in theory Vanney had solved but it looks like there was a bit too much "oh you are good!" when there should have been a bit more "that's great for this level - you want to play in the show? - you need to step up even more, and consistently"
    Most people who follow the CPL say McNaughton wasn't even in the top five best center backs in the CPL at the time. The dude who went to Poland, I forget his name, he's the guy most cite. They seem genuinely puzzled we signed him.

And pre-2015 we did have SOME. It's not like Ashtone Morgan and Doneil Henry were world-beaters but they're decent players. Tyler Pasher's still playing pro and kicking around USL, I think. A couple more are in the CPL. Raheem was probably right around 2015 so I guess he's more a modern guy.

Quite a few got jobs overseas at age 18 and just chose not to sign with us, usually to their detriment as they weren't ready.

I suspect the bigger issue is that TFC never overcame the influence of existing programs like Sigma and other academies. A lot of good prospects never come to us. Maybe all the focus on charging fees was a problem. Maybe they were just very shortsighted (Alistair Johnson) about the players they'd accept.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By all accounts, TFC academy 2007-2014 (at least) pissed off at one time or another every single academy / minor soccer association / district league in Southern Ontario.

Soccer honchos at the local level in this country are notorious for being pretentious pompous patriarchal territorial snapping turtles with no vision beyond their own empire building but with very long memories when it comes to slights - treat them right, they love you forever - treat them wrong once, they cut you out.

e.g.

Sigma (operating now as Forge)

Sigma's has made it a purpose in their doings to piss off Toronto FC - not everything but its part of their DNA now - its the most ludicrous thing ever for a local organization that grows players to act aggressively against the biggest professional team in their area - but its so typical of Canadian soccer & its volunteer non-professional ways.

BB comes here & goes "WTF?!?!" cause although that happens in the States, usually $ talks and lets face it, nobody in this country has more $ then MLSE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t know if that’s really the narrative. Sigma and the other historical SAAC teams operated outside of the traditional development pathway in Ontario and pissed people off amateur peers in their own right. Sigma’s probably also produced more quality pro players than any other single Canadian pathway.

TFC lost a lot of players to overseas poaching and that has set us back but the totality of our track record is damming. And really nobody TFCA should be blaming for that more than themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If any of you have had a child run through the Ontario Player Development system over the past 15 years, you know what a circus it has been. Grassroots clubs being butt-hurt about not getting an OPDL license because they didn't have an Ontario Soccer Gold or Silver rating, grassroots clubs being butt-hurt about the SAAC teams beating them in all the tournaments, SAAC being butt-hurt about the grassroots clubs shutting them out of the OPDL pathway so they had to start the OASL in parallel, all the local clubs being butt-hurt how TFCA arrogantly entered the scene when at first they had no clue about development, wannabe agents telling youth that Europe was a better choice than to go with an MLS academy... There's still a lot of grievances and grudges out there.

I'm just hopeful that in the next decade, the pathway angst will settle down and the best players will find their best pathways to success. I do have some hope, because:
    - MLS clubs are loaning players to the CanPL clubs
    - CanPL clubs are loaning players to League 1 Canada clubs
    - League 1 Canada clubs are scouting the provincial development leagues to fast-track promising young players
    - Provincial Development leagues and Canada Soccer are forcing grassroots clubs to invest in training up their coaches if they want to be part of the pipeline
    Last edited by Initial B; 04-26-2023 at 08:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i really feel BB's personality doesnt vibe with the team this year or last-- even speaking to reporters who ask - questions he doesnt want to be asked or that without watching players play he made decisions based on i assume their personality - 1 win how can he still show up and act like he knows what he is doing

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    i really feel BB's personality doesnt vibe with the team this year or last-- even speaking to reporters who ask - questions he doesnt want to be asked or that without watching players play he made decisions based on i assume their personality - 1 win how can he still show up and act like he knows what he is doing
    This is job #1 of any new manager walking into a trainwreck. He kept enough backroom staff and senior players to know what was what.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^Who is kidding who? BB didn’t make calls on the 2021 squad, that was mostly MB.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^^Who is kidding who? BB didn’t make calls on the 2021 squad, that was mostly MB.
    I suspect you are somewhat right and they had a conversation over dinner about who should stay and go. However Bob was saying when he was signed that he apparently had watched all of MB's games so he should have had a pretty solid understanding of what we had if he actually did watch all those games.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Pretty sure Conway, who was retained and said he doesn't tolerate assholes on his squad, had some input too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rather have asshole players vs asshole managers.

The asshole players tend to back up their ass

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    Rather have asshole players vs asshole managers.

The asshole players tend to back up their ass
    Soteldo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Soteldo

my point exactly- more wins during his time - and his counting numbers goes under the radar- rather have him then bob "my way or the highway"bradley - opposite of a builder-

the sad part is I believe we had more wins last season prior to LI/FB then this season with a roster that was hand picked by the great chosen one- BOB.