Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Javier Perez has a higher winning percentage that Bob and his roster was a complete mess because of Curtis and past mistakes of Bez/Vanney.

You can argue he got a hell of a lot more out less talented players than Bob is with the highest payroll in the league.

Honestly if we had a proper sporting director I would have given Perez a shot at a rebuild. Tactically he seems to got the mind for it, but would have needed a real hard ass for and assistant.

I would have like to see Perez and MB as assistant, could have been an interesting combo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Javier Perez has a higher winning percentage that Bob and his roster was a complete mess because of Curtis and past mistakes of Bez/Vanney.

You can argue he got a hell of a lot more out less talented players than Bob is with the highest payroll in the league.

Honestly if we had a proper sporting director I would have given Perez a shot at a rebuild. Tactically he seems to got the mind for it, but would have needed a real hard ass for and assistant.

I would have like to see Perez and MB as assistant, could have been an interesting combo.

check out his website- its pretty damn nice and detailed -

https://www.javierfootball.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Bob's 2022 team was WAY worse than the one Perez inherited. Perez didn't have kids at almost all the spots all season. That dragged down the numbers in 2022. This season like I said earlier, is mediocre. I am not all aboard the Bob train but he at least has some accomplishments. Perez never did anything, anywhere, from before or after the TFC season to say he was anything more than a guy who read a lot of football books and made a good website. There's a reason he came with Armas.

I know people go on about Perez because he got a good web designer to make a fancy website but if he is really so good then why is he never employed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    check out his website- its pretty damn nice and detailed -

https://www.javierfootball.com/
    I'd love to see Pep do a website with his whole football philosophy, but he has, you know, a job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Bob's 2022 team was WAY worse than the one Perez inherited. Perez didn't have kids at almost all the spots all season. That dragged down the numbers in 2022. This season like I said earlier, is mediocre. I am not all aboard the Bob train but he at least has some accomplishments. Perez never did anything, anywhere, from before or after the TFC season to say he was anything more than a guy who read a lot of football books and made a good website. There's a reason he came with Armas.

I know people go on about Perez because he got a good web designer to make a fancy website but if he is really so good then why is he never employed?
    I mean, in the end, this was Bob’s choice. He could have tweaked rather than stripped it to the floor boards but he did the latter.

Last year was taking our medicine in the name of this year being so much better. Well, now this year looks pretty mediocre too so far. Mediocre enough where a crap MTl team with an empty roster is basically neck and neck with us.

To me, Bob’s on really thin ice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I mean, in the end, this was Bob’s choice. He could have tweaked rather than stripped it to the floor boards but he did the latter.

Last year was taking our medicine in the name of this year being so much better. Well, now this year looks pretty mediocre too so far. Mediocre enough where a crap MTl team with an empty roster is basically neck and neck with us.

To me, Bob’s on really thin ice.
    I agree he is on thin ice but it's a massive stretch to call our 1-6-2 record with a -1 GD neck and neck with the Montreal's 2-0-6 record and a -12 GD through 9 matches.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree he is on thin ice but it's a massive stretch to call our 1-6-2 record with a -1 GD neck and neck with the Montreal's 2-0-6 record and a -12 GD through 9 matches.
    They are 3 points behind us with a game in hand. With more wins (not that they win a lot of games).

Still close to the truth to say we are "neck and neck", and far from my definition of a massive stretch.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    They are 3 points behind us with a game in hand. With more wins (not that they win a lot of games).

Still close to the truth to say we are "neck and neck", and far from my definition of a massive stretch.
    On paper, yes. Sure. But not realistically. It's like people pointed to metrics to say Bradley was still a top midfielder. Some of his numbers say yes but the eyes do not.

Now I'm not going to say we outplayed anybody but us drawing 6 matches and being in all our matches but one is a massive stretch from what Montreal has managed so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On paper, yes. Sure. But not realistically. It's like people pointed to metrics to say Bradley was still a top midfielder. Some of his numbers say yes but the eyes do not.

Now I'm not going to say we outplayed anybody but us drawing 6 matches and being in all our matches but one is a massive stretch from what Montreal has managed so far.
    Hey, you can be right, our team is massively better than theirs but the fact it’s anywhere close in terms of points just says the right things are not happening at TFC so far this season

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, you can be right, our team is massively better than theirs but the fact it’s anywhere close in terms of points just says the right things are not happening at TFC so far this season
    I know people will say a proper #9 & a healthy Insigne would mean a few more goals scored and a few more wins but really, we don't create enough chances. If we had that going to at least an average level then we'd probably have 4 wins or so with the roster we had. Like we didn't even create chances for the makeshift #9s to blow (except for that time Ayo fell over the ball).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't match the eye test..at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Though, TBF, a lot of the right things are not happening to a lot of the MLS clubs in the EC; about ten of them. While one win may separate us from last place CFMTL, one win also separates us from sixth place Nashville.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Doesn't match the eye test..at all.
    No argument there. But I subscribe to the “you are your record” school of how to evaluate yourself. (Deep Bill Parcells reference there.)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting tidbit out of the broadcast Saturday night

BB admitted he got the tactics wrong at the start of the Philly game & should not have played Insigne & Berna as a duo up front - included a bit about not practicing that enough

Indicates BB is tactically flexible & trying to find the right way to approach opponents

&

He makes mistakes (well we knew that but...)
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 05-01-2023 at 10:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    Great highlight OtD. Caught that mention as well while (re)watchingthe match on AMLSSP yesterday. Believe it came from the woman co-commentator. Spent some time trying to determine the source. Find such an admission to be unusual by Bob for his time at TFC. Also wanted to tie a planned comment post in with what I believed was a great Tab Ramos quote on coaching flexibility/adaptability to the players one has on hand to work with. Unsuccessful in finding either.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In MLS, broadcast journos often get a day before meeting with the managers to go over what the managers are going to try to do - Caldwell et al used to talk about these discussions during matches & I've heard other Apple commentators discuss these.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find Bob has done a decent job shuffling the lineup and tactics to find what works.

Thankfully.. I think with Insigne back and Sapong we finally have our lineup that works... So we can stick to it.

MB and Osorio could end up being 2nd half subs... I'm honestly not sure where they fit in the lineup anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    I find Bob has done a decent job shuffling the lineup and tactics to find what works.

Thankfully.. I think with Insigne back and Sapong we finally have our lineup that works... So we can stick to it.

MB and Osorio could end up being 2nd half subs... I'm honestly not sure where they fit in the lineup anymore.
    I do wonder whether the midfielders were less advanced and more mid-zone by design or because the players tried to do less and just stuck to the job of advancing the ball. I can't remember any of them trying to eat up field by running with the ball.

In fact, we seemed to move away from the short pass and narrow build that typifies his style completely. It was much more pragmatic.

But maybe I'm seeing stuff that wasn't there.

It felt to me like he decided it makes more sense to work with what he's got than to expect the lineup to adapt to another system. It's the second time he's done that this year, and this one really worked.

I really do hope we stick with it for now. Headman the ball, use the power forward, use the tricky wingers, THEN have a trailer step up in support, rather than stacking the offensive end.

Even when we did cough the ball up, we always had men in responsible defensive positions because we weren't cramming the final third.

I have to concede, I didn't think he would adjust, but he's literally done what seems to me to be the most logical approach.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    I agree with MB I think we have good enough cover. Coello did well and hope he keeps it up. I think Osorio would be better than MAK in the midfield. To me, MAK seems to still have confidence issues a bit and not making the MLS speed of decisions needed in the midfield inviting pressure too often. I think Osorio would combine better with Insigne on that side. Insigne did his best last game to play with players around him but was not on the same page at all with MAK and Franklin most times I thought. On the other side Servania, Berna and Laryea were more in sync and more dangerous. Glad to see Sapong do what he did because we needed that type of player all season. Hope he keeps it up as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I agree with MB I think we have good enough cover. Coello did well and hope he keeps it up. I think Osorio would be better than MAK in the midfield. To me, MAK seems to still have confidence issues a bit and not making the MLS speed of decisions needed in the midfield inviting pressure too often. I think Osorio would combine better with Insigne on that side.
    Problem with Osorio is that his defensive presence, while never great, has slipped a lot. He looks like he lost a step too and his decision making also was looking poor this season. Overall he looked slow at everything. Hopefully just a bit of fog from that concussion or whatever it was but even with MAK's erratic passing at times, he does provide better balance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem with Osorio is that his defensive presence, while never great, has slipped a lot. He looks like he lost a step too and his decision making also was looking poor this season. Overall he looked slow at everything. Hopefully just a bit of fog from that concussion or whatever it was but even with MAK's erratic passing at times, he does provide better balance.
    When they play together, Oso, MAK and MB all try way too hard to take control of the game. When was the last time we had a central three, like against NYFC, where they rarely entered the final third?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you look at the highlights from last game, MAK is often in the 18 y, if not the 6. I think he's getting a bit unfairly called out. I even saw him fight for balls he lost (and win), which some were calling him out on last week. I think he'll be a key piece for us this year. He's looked much better than he did injured last year

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usually its Oso high, MAK middle, MB back or Oso higher & MAK / MB back.

Saturday was MAK high, Servania middle, Coello back.

When Oso or MB return, expect them to go back to their normal & MAK to adjust.

I would be very surprised if any of Oso, MB or MAK sit when those 3 are available.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 05-01-2023 at 04:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Bob Bradley as Sporting Director roster performance evaluation by MSingh...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    A Bob Bradley as Sporting Director roster performance evaluation by MSingh...

Bombito and Priso - our Canadian, TFC 6s for the next decade. Bob Bradley’s thumbs up/thumbs down approach (with 30 players getting the stiff thumbs down) was a terror.

If you have no set tactics you must have absolutely the right players. As well as total ‘buy in’, absolute loyalty. That seemed to mean paying a hell of a lot for the few guys that are possible and giving away the rest for nothing or at the bargain basement.

Unfortunately, Bob was not able to find the right players for his approach and he wasted budget as well as good and promising players. His sporting director role was a bigger disaster than his coaching. GMs and sporting directors affect the long term and must be chosen wisely. There has been no continuity in the thinking of the people in those roles for us. Manning seems to have no clue about this deeper issue (which also affects the workings of the academy). It’s all flash and personal relationships.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 06-29-2023 at 12:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Translation 1: "When you leave MLS you realize what you had. In #TFCLive and in the league they treated me incredible. They were wonderful years"

Translation 2: "I didn't expect to get out of #TFCLive , but we didn't get along very well with (Bob) Bradley. That's how the Miami opportunity came to me. The coach pushed a lot to bring Bernardeschi and I had to free up that DP spot Anyway, going to Miami was spectacular."

Makes it sound like Bob had more to do with Berna than we first assumed. Also, this is an actual reunion of a former DP I could actually get behind.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Translation 1: "When you leave MLS you realize what you had. In #TFCLive and in the league they treated me incredible. They were wonderful years"

Translation 2: "I didn't expect to get out of #TFCLive , but we didn't get along very well with (Bob) Bradley. That's how the Miami opportunity came to me. The coach pushed a lot to bring Bernardeschi and I had to free up that DP spot Anyway, going to Miami was spectacular."

Makes it sound like Bob had more to do with Berna than we first assumed. Also, this is an actual reunion of a former DP I could actually get behind.
    Give us the wonderful wizard of Poz back.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So revisiting history, we moved Poz because of the need for the DP spot to free up room for Bernie and BB didnt like him.

My question would we be better off now had we kept Poz, signed Hoillet as a Tam (NOT DP and he wanted to be here) and not acquired Bernie initially because no room (or we could have waited a little longer and acquired him because Salcedo left on July 12). Of course we would still have LI on the left and probably Kerr on the right and never acquired Diomande.

Lots to criticize in that one move.... soooo many impacts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Pozo out of contract?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Pozo out of contract?
    His contract expired today and is not being renewed. He's available on a free transfer.

He had four goals and three assists in 12 games in Turkey. Dude is still a stud, offensively.