Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    FWIW... some Columbus Crew/ Wilfried Nancy insight. A scouting perspective? How will TFC fair against their possession and not transition challenge? Suggest... to read the full conversation.

In the other videos in that stream the most obvious thing I see is that's what its like to have a quick skilled centre forward. Tactics are easier then. :-)
    Last edited by CorrwgBach; 03-06-2023 at 02:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    (I was seriously considering that if we had to deal with Caldwell et al on the away games this year, that I would watch only while listening to long trance dance mixes instead of the play by play - just to reduce the negative vibes)
    I think there's a great movie script yet to be written about Patrick Cowley and Sylvester.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Realistically we shouldn't be playing at home until April.
    Really, this is the answer. Or start the league later. This'll be the norm now though, with Leagues Cup added.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Really, this is the answer. Or start the league later. This'll be the norm now though, with Leagues Cup added.
    Even with this early start. MLS cup is not until Dec 9. And as we can remember that can be very cold.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there's a great movie script yet to be written about Patrick Cowley and Sylvester.

I tried to explain to a Gen Z person that this song was the first really well known EDM & they looked at me like I put up a cave as an example of the first cathedral.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CorrwgBach View Post
    Even with this early start. MLS cup is not until Dec 9. And as we can remember that can be very cold.
    I don't think we have to worry about the weather for any TFC games this season after October.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried to explain to a Gen Z person that this song was the first really well known EDM & they looked at me like I put up a cave as an example of the first cathedral.
    Cowley was an underappreciated genius. A big fuck you to HIV on that one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(I was seriously considering that if we had to deal with Caldwell et al on the away games this year, that I would watch only while listening to long trance dance mixes instead of the play by play - just to reduce the negative vibes)
    Cowley was an underappreciated genius. A big fuck you to HIV on that one.
    Preach... seminal links of the so many in the evolution of that genre along for me with Moroder/Bellotte/Wedel, The 'Moog' Synth, Korg Analog Sequencer, Kraftwerk, Eno, Silver Apples, The Monkees, PFunk-Bernie Worrell, Afrika Bambaataa ( Sadly Hip Hop's Gary Glitter?), CabVoltaire, Jamaican Dub- King Tubby, Scratch, ET & Pablo, D-Tech- B3/Atkins, May & Saunderson, Windy City 'Warehouse' with FKnuckles, FFunk, Fingers Inc.. etc. ...
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 03-07-2023 at 05:04 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    I don't think we have to worry about the weather for any TFC games this season after October.
    Ouchie! Though that is my declared pessimistic position in the current RPB survey/poll. Hopefully, I am wrong and Graeme is right this year as well!
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 03-07-2023 at 02:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW... some Columbus Crew/ Wilfried Nancy insight. A scouting perspective? How will TFC fair against their possession and not transition challenge? Suggest... to read the full conversation.
    This previous post of mine is actually relevant to this posting by OtD. A great highlight by him to review; just re-positioned by me from another thread for referencing convenience and relevance.

Just gonna put this article about Columbus & W Nancy & tactics....interesting read.

(limited article reads)

https://www.dispatch.com/story/sport...n/69971464007/
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 03-07-2023 at 04:24 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh, I have gained a lot of respect for Nancy - he has his way which seems to work with a limited budget. He's not just a "I brought these guys along when I coached them in the academy" coach.

They want the ball - so will we. That is going to make for a very interesting game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh, I have gained a lot of respect for Nancy - he has his way which seems to work with a limited budget. He's not just a "I brought these guys along when I coached them in the academy" coach.

They want the ball - so will we. That is going to make for a very interesting game.
    If us holding the ball entails pushing the midfield higher, I think we can all agree that disaster might be the outcome. Which makes me wonder, how BB can build a team that seems so unsuited to his game plan? Hopefully last game showed his flexibility and that he continues to adapt to the reality of the roster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    They just need to make the north end / south end look like the east and west.

So kind of 4 walls on all sides. blocks the wind and makes it feel more enclosed.

We are limited by the BS decision to have the argos play there though.
    It doesnt even have to be seats that need to be added. I would love to have those glass enclosed walking areas over the south and eventual north ends - Just like St. Louis and Austin has. Makes the stadium feel bigger and more closed in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    I watched the MLS/Apple highlights of St. Louis City SC at their (City)Park season home debut. The on-screen seating-to-pitch intimacy seemed like I was watching an EPL match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    I watched the MLS/Apple highlights of St. Louis City SC at their (City)Park season home debut. The on-screen seating-to-pitch intimacy seemed like I was watching an EPL match.
    Yeah, they really got it right. They used the old-fashioned Elland Road/Stamford Bridge format of a rectangle with high-slope seating to bring everyone close to the pitch. It's not as pronounced an elevation as Chelsea or Leeds but it's clear they understood how to create noise and atmosphere.

Plus, it looks phenomenal from above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, they really got it right. They used the old-fashioned Elland Road/Stamford Bridge format of a rectangle with high-slope seating to bring everyone close to the pitch. It's not as pronounced an elevation as Chelsea or Leeds but it's clear they understood how to create noise and atmosphere.

Plus, it looks phenomenal from above.
    I absolutely love a steep stadium. If we could knock down and rebuild BMO tomorrow I'd just do a mini Mestella or Bombonera, you can't beat that look or the noise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does the new apple stream allows for a no commentary option ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nick.mastro View Post
    It doesnt even have to be seats that need to be added. I would love to have those glass enclosed walking areas over the south and eventual north ends - Just like St. Louis and Austin has. Makes the stadium feel bigger and more closed in.

This is great. Nice area to warm up from the cold too.
    They could for sure do this without tearing down BMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Does the new apple stream allows for a no commentary option ?
    Unfortunately not. And the promise of radio commentary has become "for home teams only" and in most cases "not even that."

The technical end is being done brilliantly. The direction, camera work and resolution are all top-notch.

The commenting is mostly the low-rent, subpar shit that most MLS towns have presented since the league began. Honestly, we had the best color guy in Kevin Kilbane by a mile. He was as willing to take to task as Dempsey, but conversely correct far more often.

But they didn't hire him, and they didnt' hire Wileman who is now with both TSN and HBO, apparently. Why get erudite and knowledgeable when you can get "yeahhh, boooi" and something that would work better in an ax body spray commercial.

Also, HD and big screens are not kind to those in studio who've decided to inject plastic into their face and lips, it must be said. "Work" shows up pretty heavily on an 80" screen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    I absolutely love a steep stadium. If we could knock down and rebuild BMO tomorrow I'd just do a mini Mestella or Bombonera, you can't beat that look or the noise
    I'm not fond of the 'rounded' look of those stadiums versus square, but that's just an outward aesthetic thing. They sure got the atmosphere nailed down inside with steep seating.

We do it here with basketball and hockey arenas, but not soccer for the most part, which is weird.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We got a real problem in Canada assuming an English accent is good.

Put a mid-west accent on Wileman & people would think he was full of schtick. All playbyplay have a chart they use with information. Wileman has a set of cue cards of anecdotes that he pathologically needs to get through by minute 22.

Kilbane is very good content wise & I can see him getting a gig with Apple in the next few years.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, weather.

Supposedly...+1

4 days out so its still really just throwing darts as they say

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Put a mid-west accent on Wileman & people would think he was full of schtick. All playbyplay have a chart they use with information. Wileman has a set of cue cards of anecdotes that he pathologically needs to get through by minute 22.

Kilbane is very good content wise & I can see him getting a gig with Apple in the next few years.
    I think Luke is good. He was good at the BBC in Leeds before here, too.

I'm not saying he -- or even most of the Brit announcers -- is mind-blowing. And some of the Americans are great. But on balance? The experience of having done it for years in multiple leagues shows. Their best commentators last weekend tended to be the Brits, as far as I'm concerned. (I mean, I grew up with that, so I'm clearly biased.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But compared to the two Apple MLS color guys we had in weeks 1 & 2, Wileman is like Peter Drury. The last week guy just sounded like a MLB broadcaster with his useless statistics like height and such while in week one those two guys offered nothing but lame joke attempts and cheap Apple MLS sales pitches. So far 3 of 4 Apple commentators have been hacks. Last weeks analyst was pretty good. I liked him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a non Canadian that always stood out to me, like people on Canadian TV think football can only be explained to them by someone from Britain. Very odd, always felt like a weird insecurity to me. I don't think Caldwell is let anywhere near a commentary booth if he's from Ontario, for example

Agree on Kilbane, though. I was surprised he didn't end up at Apple in the initial round up

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    As a non Canadian that always stood out to me, like people on Canadian TV think football can only be explained to them by someone from Britain. Very odd, always felt like a weird insecurity to me. ...
    History

Most of us who grew up here watching soccer in the 70's & 80's & 90's have had an English voice tell us what was good.

The first Italian voices didn't show up until the late 80's & they were quickly ghettoized to "ethnic" channels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately not. And the promise of radio commentary has become "for home teams only" and in most cases "not even that."

The technical end is being done brilliantly. The direction, camera work and resolution are all top-notch.

The commenting is mostly the low-rent, subpar shit that most MLS towns have presented since the league began. Honestly, we had the best color guy in Kevin Kilbane by a mile. He was as willing to take to task as Dempsey, but conversely correct far more often.

But they didn't hire him, and they didnt' hire Wileman who is now with both TSN and HBO, apparently. Why get erudite and knowledgeable when you can get "yeahhh, boooi" and something that would work better in an ax body spray commercial.

Also, HD and big screens are not kind to those in studio who've decided to inject plastic into their face and lips, it must be said. "Work" shows up pretty heavily on an 80" screen.
    My frustration is with the match-centre, half time, and in-week shows. They feel mostly low rent, superficial / poorly thought out, and absent character. It’s like they spent all their money on that ultra modern minimalist studio, then forgot about everything else.

Many of the people who appear are just not good in front of the camera. They also live in their heads about 20 years ago when this league was wondering if it was going to make it. They should be thanked for their service but asked to take on other roles.

If MLS’s hope of impressing Apple is Andrew Wiebe’s charisma, they might as well just file for chapter 11 now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    My frustration is with the match-centre, half time, and in-week shows. They feel mostly low rent, superficial / poorly thought out, and absent character. It’s like they spent all their money on that ultra modern minimalist studio, then forgot about everything else.

Many of the people who appear are just not good in front of the camera. They also live in their heads about 20 years ago when this league was wondering if it was going to make it. They should be thanked for their service but asked to take on other roles.

If MLS’s hope of impressing Apple is Andrew Wiebe’s charisma, they might as well just file for chapter 11 now.
    I usually turn off the stream at the half and come back at the restart. The same for Fubo FPL games to be honest. Don't care to watch anything outside of the game. I'm so glad not to be using illegal streams or, worse, TSN with Wileman and Caldwell that any commentating is fine by me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I usually turn off the stream at the half and come back at the restart. The same for Fubo FPL games to be honest. Don't care to watch anything outside of the game.
    This is me too. I tuned into the first pre-game show on Apple and decided going forward I get that 30 min of my life for something else since I will never watch that again. For the most part I have always done that whether with TSN, Fubo or DAZN. Really don't care myself about all these "expert's" opinions are. I would rather discuss stuff with all the fine folks on this forum.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, weather.

Supposedly...+1

4 days out so its still really just throwing darts as they say
    High is +1 - low is -7. Probably somewhere in the middle. Still hate that the games this time of year aren’t midday games.