Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    VV as a false 9?
    Yeah, that could work. I mean, it would be more a 'number 10 who feeds wings', the center forward in a 3412, because his speed means he can't start adjacent to the backline. He probably needs a little more initial separation by starting between the lines, which could be achieved by pinching in the wings slightly, making the defense stay entrenched and honest.

But if he played mostly from the hole and as a trailer, he'd probably be really good at it. Sort of a very slow Firmino.

EDIT: In fact, when I consider how Bob mostly wants us to attack from closer to the box than to the endline or sidelines, this sort of makes sense, like having a Poz, but slide-ruling two forwards instead of one.

It would also allow us to drop into difficult block defenses, like a 4-3-2-1 xmas tree, very easily by more subtly shifting original positions.
    Last edited by jloome; 03-10-2023 at 12:36 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VV has played as a false 9 before with both us and LAG.

Might work but he's not a factor defensively.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VV has played as a false 9 before with both us and LAG.

Might work but he's not a factor defensively.
    He also played as a 'wide 10' for Vanney at LA. he set up in the zone at the top left corner of the box, but about ten yards deeper diagonally, towards the wings, and then fed either the striker, the advancing midfielder or the overlapping fullback.

I think Vanney was wise to use him in several roles based on when he'd have to provide the least cover going back, as there's just no speed left.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok I'm two pints into my weekend so take this for what it is

I think VV plays tomorrow, either starting or as a sub.

I think Insigne starts.

I think we hold them defensively but break down occasionally.

And their defence can't hold our offence.

4-2

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, and I think the "BB can't think outside his box" thing needs to die. He showed something different last week. He HAS to show something different tomorrow due to injuries. Criticise his subs and MB's role sure. But he's not 4-4-2 until I die like some coaches in this league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, and I think the "BB can't think outside his box" thing needs to die. He showed something different last week. He HAS to show something different tomorrow due to injuries. Criticise his subs and MB's role sure. But he's not 4-4-2 until I die like some coaches in this league.
    I don't think it's that he can't think out of the box. He'll adjust out of necessity. It seems more to me that once he's wedded to a particuarl idea in a particular set of circumstances, he's reluctant to alter it.

So when Insigne is fully healthy and we have a striker again, I fully expect us to revert to the 4-3-3 that, for the most part, hasn't really worked, not because it's a bad tactic, but because we don't have the central quickness to sustain it. I hope I'm wrong.

I see a bunch of oddsmakers favor us. I'm having a hard time being optimistic. Then again, Columbus is basically a three-man team, so maybe we come out strong and they don't. On the road, cold weather...

It would be nice to abandon the notion of constantly building from the back. It was satisfying to see Sean Johnson just reject it repeatedly with Atlanta, due to their high pressure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After watching both Diomande and Akinoka play in the first games it’s probably a blessing both will be out, Diomande looks washed up and Akinola has been dreadful . With both out get your best 11 on the field and figure out a way to have your best 11 out there. Bernadeschi, Insigne hopefully who we know he can score if he he plays like he cares , Osorio and a few others I have more confidence in scoring than those two injured players . Not a big loss if those two can’t play but actually as they say a blessing in disguise.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    You have a good point, but it doesn’t appear that TFC has ever been invested in patiently developing youth. So even if Peruzza is given a chance tomorrow and plays well, he will probably still be relegated to the bench for the rest of the season. I’ve come to the opinion that it’s probably best for TFC academy players to be sold young, instead of sitting on the bench until they’re too old to develop or thrown to the wolves, out of position and under pressure.
    All we want is 300K in GAM for Perruzza. So it's fine. It's all good.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if we see the striped jerseys tomorrow.

If we win repeatedly in them, y'all realize, they'll be legendary as the ugliest lucky jersey ever. We'll either never get rid of them or we'll all be demanding their return anytime we lose in the future.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I wonder if we see the striped jerseys tomorrow.

If we win repeatedly in them, y'all realize, they'll be legendary as the ugliest lucky jersey ever. We'll either never get rid of them or we'll all be demanding their return anytime we lose in the future.
    They want to sell them so they will wear them for sure I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    Or throw Insigne in the box and Oso in his spot.
    Insigne’s in the bottom 5th percentile in the league in goals to shots. He’s extremely inefficient.

If Perruza isn’t given a chance I’d say he’s unlikely to ever be given a chance. And no way he’s a winger. But he might still have a shot at being an MLS backup striker. Yes, he’s looked uncomfortable on the pitch for us but he certainly looked the part during his USL loans.

Hmm, why did I buy a ticket last night? A snow storm and we don’t have a striker, wonderful!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VV as a false 9?
    This seems the best idea to me so far. We go, essentially, with proper service to the Italians and to Oso when he gets forward. And VV is certainly capable of getting close to the box and scoring. How many minutes he can play, I don’t know.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 03-10-2023 at 04:24 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kaye has 2 Goals in 3 games by crashing the box. Maybe we just make him a striker...LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    They want to sell them so they will wear them for sure I think.
    That appears clear.

https://calgaryherald.com/sports/soc...aptain-bradley

Bradley says we should be all Red at home. Oso says it's a nice jersey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    That appears clear.

https://calgaryherald.com/sports/soc...aptain-bradley

Bradley says we should be all Red at home. Oso says it's a nice jersey.
    Oso's wrong 🤣. He's a nice man and I'm sure he doesn't want to hurt the supporters feelings, who I do feel bad for. But it's the ugliest thing I've ever seen and only my deep lifetime love of sports is stopping the 'I hope they lose in it' schadenfreude. I'll cheer every goal, but cuss out Bill Manning every time they show that monstrosity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    Kaye has 2 Goals in 3 games by crashing the box. Maybe we just make him a striker...LOL
    The thing that excited me about Kaye, want I believe can still work, is him ability between the lines. I see him as a great defense disturber, a good overloaded, a system destroyer. Much like VV in 17 at his best Kaye can be wherever is needed, the point of attack or the end of a pass. Of course reaching his best is the long term hope. All this to say, if he was a striker he'd be too easy to plan for. His effectiveness comes from surprise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should go with Bernardeschi in the middle which will allow more short play linkups with Insigne and still gives size in the middle...hopefully Kaye does better otherwise theres a bunch of options there such as Vazquez Thompson or Insigne dropping back

Insigne Bernardeschi Osorio
    Kaye Bradley Servania
    Petretta Rosted Hedges Laryea
    Johnson

Should be a good one...lets go get that win

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That striped jersey is terrible, who thought that was a good idea?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to point out that videos of BB, Oso, Fede & MB pressers from today are up on the team website.

Gosh, Fede is such a character...
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 03-10-2023 at 06:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to point out that videos of BB, Oso, Fede & MB pressers from today are up on the team website.

Gosh, Fede is such a character...
    Ah. thanks, good to know. Maybe I’m missing something but what I haven’t seen yet this season is video of Bradley’s post game comments. That used to happen like clockwork the night of each match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir. View Post
    Should go with Bernardeschi in the middle which will allow more short play linkups with Insigne and still gives size in the middle...hopefully Kaye does better otherwise theres a bunch of options there such as Vazquez Thompson or Insigne dropping back

Insigne Bernardeschi Osorio
    Kaye Bradley Servania
    Johnson

Should be a good one...lets go get that win
    Bradley in the press conference today mentioned Fede having played as a ten in Fiorentina….

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My XI for tomorrow:

Insigne Bernardeschi

Vazquez

Oso Bradley Kaye

Johnson

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, its going to be cold & dark & wet & windy & not exactly patio weather

And the stadium looks like a meccano set built by a 10 year old. The beer and food are expensive & the washrooms can be vaguely scary.

And yet...and yet

There is something about that place under the lights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, its going to be cold & dark & wet & windy & not exactly patio weather

And the stadium looks like a meccano set built by a 10 year old. The beer and food are expensive & the washrooms can be vaguely scary.

And yet...and yet

There is something about that place under the lights.

Agree! If we play well it’ll be fun. If not, I’d still rather be there than sitting in a fake pub squinting at a screen.

(About the stadium, I like it. There aren’t too many bad seats in the house, and it’s intimate (as MB pointed out today). And since when are new and expensive soccer stadiums more than garish pieces of architectural kitsch? I don’t at all mind something funky with good sight lines and a good crowd.)
    Last edited by los sonadores; 03-11-2023 at 12:07 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gonna be a busy/long day...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to reiterate - there's a cover on & the field is heated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at ticket availability on ticketmaster, and there are tickets available in pretty much the entire stadium.

Now, do you put the " blame" on people for being "part time supporters" and not showing up/supporting the team, or do you blame MLSE for not pricing the game accordingly, or Apple TV for insisting the game be at 7:30pm in March??

In any case, Id be shocked if there was more than 20k tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    Looking at ticket availability on ticketmaster, and there are tickets available in pretty much the entire stadium.

Now, do you put the " blame" on people for being "part time supporters" and not showing up/supporting the team, or do you blame MLSE for not pricing the game accordingly, or Apple TV for insisting the game be at 7:30pm in March??

they sold over 23k season tickets a record amount alot of the tickets on ticket master are resale

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    they sold over 23k season tickets a record amount alot of the tickets on ticket master are resale
    Still something wrong with Team/weather/starting time to have this many reale tickets available

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post

Starting time is stupid …. Especially for this time of year. Also they could easily have captured the day with 1pm, 4pm, 7pm starts