Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2nd half kaye looked lost, heavy passes and touch, running into our own players. I will say from where I was sitting that VAR goal looked incredibly offside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SneijderOranje View Post
    2nd half kaye looked lost, heavy passes and touch, running into our own players. I will say from where I was sitting that VAR goal looked incredibly offside.
    MAK’s passing was really off on the second half. He turned simple balls into suicide balls. I’m worried.

Thought the goal was off too but was told the goal scorer was on and another player not in the play was off. I haven’t seen it though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From my seats, it looked like there was a lot of missed passes and easy turnovers all over the field. Perhaps the weather affected some of the players. Both teams missed some goalmouth chances that they should have finished.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    MAK’s passing was really off on the second half. He turned simple balls into suicide balls. I’m worried.

Thought the goal was off too but was told the goal scorer was on and another player not in the play was off. I haven’t seen it though.
    That's what I saw as well. Onside but our backline was praying their line was ahead of that OTHER Crewbie well offside. It wasn't and the horse shot out of the barn.

MAK did have his moments yesterday good and bad but not many were all good when it came to passing. Even short passes were a lil behind or just off. This team needs gel for the way the wanna play.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first half offered glimpses of hope but the second half was disappointing. We were lucky to hold on to a draw.

We have had serious issues defending when the game is on the line so far this season.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    Just realized the 3 Canadian Mens National team members all
    missed easy scoring chances
    i guess it was shame Canada night
    Against the Curacao keeper. Canada's next match. All 3 looked better than previous matches tho.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    The first half offered glimpses of hope but the second half was disappointing. We were lucky to hold on to a draw.

We have had serious issues defending when the game is on the line so far this season.
    First half was a noticeably slow build with short passing to keep it safe and simple that got more risk taking but for a 10 min stretch our team was running twice the distance of Columbus. Not surprising they were gassed.

So do we sub? Sure, but enough and not soon enough. I'm sure BB wanted them to tough it out and grow confidence but that proved to be the wrong move. The other option of more kids to run around like Franklin did seems to be way THIS one could've saved a couple points.

But this is after the fact of course

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lost in all the complaining is the fact that the goal against was a bogus onside call. I've seen the screen shots and at worst, absolute minimum, you could never call that clear & obvious but he was well off anyway.

But what killed us in this match was bad subs. Vasquez I don't see helping us here with what we're doing. He was really slow and just imbalances the midfield further. Maybe if he went up top instead of Hugo, who isn't ready yet, then at least VV's slowness and lack of defending wouldn't hurt . That double switch killed off whatever we had going in the match. We really lost our footing after that. At least BB should have subbed off Osorio or even Bradley instead of Servania but if I were subbing a midfielder in a match we are leading I sure wouldn't pull Servania for VV. Kosi probably would have done better.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 03-12-2023 at 10:45 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Lost in all the complaining is the fact that the goal against was a bogus onside call. I've seen the screen shots and at worst, absolute minimum, you could never call that clear & obvious but he was well off anyway.

But what killed us in this match was bad subs. Vasquez I don't see helping us here with what we're doing. He was really slow and just imbalances the midfield further. Maybe if he went up top instead of Hugo, who isn't ready yet, then at least VV's slowness and lack of defending wouldn't hurt . That double switch killed off whatever we had going in the match. We really lost our footing after that. At least BB should have subbed off Osorio or even Bradley instead of Servania but if I were subbing a midfielder in a match we are leading I sure wouldn't pull Servania for VV. Kosi probably would have done better.
    Looked onside to me.

It might be that they paused the frame too early, as the play-by-play suggested. But the VAR freeze frame showed the far defender keeping him onside. They had a player coming back from an offside position but the ruling these days is that they don't affect the play (I mean, clearly defenders have to keep the honest, so they do, but...)

Either way, we just died in the second half. They adjusted, we didn't. We were outcoached and outplayed in the second half, badly.

Fede sounds about ready to quit:

“I’m disappointed because I feel bad for the result,” the 28-year-old former Juventus winger told reporters following the club’s 1-1 draw Saturday evening against Columbus Crew. “We expected more to the game and we need a win, and we lost a chance tonight and I’m very disappointed for this.

“I think we need to play [football] more for sure,” the Italian international added, “because in the second half we didn’t play. And for sure, we need to play more football, more right pass, on field and not long ball. We need to improve. We need to win the game because we need the win. We played three matches, and one loss and two ties and this not good for me, my mentality.”

“For sure we need three points [next] Saturday,” said Bernardeschi. “For me, my mentality, this is not what we expected from the start.”

Last edited by jloome; 03-12-2023 at 01:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So... does Bradley get the can if we go five or six games without a win?

Surely they have to stop the bleeding at some point. He's been here for well over a year now, and it's just not happening. Bad roster choices, bad tactical choices.

MAybe some good coaching, as the first half looked great. But we didn't and couldn't adjust; we bunkered early, we took off our quickest midfielder and a striker playing well and put in our slowest midfielder and a striker who has no experience at this level whatsoever.

It's all just sort of laissez-faire shit, isn't it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    So... does Bradley get the can if we go five or six games without a win?
    I doubt he would be fired but I could see him do the Mo 2008 move and hire a 'Carver' to manage the team while he moves fully upstairs to do the GM-ing full time.

In this case the new manager would be some kind of connect: maybe Berhalter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here’s my complaint about the subs / team selection: it’s all built around the managers idea of great football rather than the abilities of the team and the players available.

In no word should mbongue be seeing the field before Perruzza. But the latter doesn’t fit the managers tactics so we turn to a green academy player with less of a track record.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Here’s my complaint about the subs / team selection: it’s all built around the managers idea of great football rather than the abilities of the team and the players available.

In no word should mbongue be seeing the field before Perruzza. But the latter doesn’t fit the managers tactics so we turn to a green academy player with less of a track record.
    It's nuts. I don't want to lose faith but I'm afraid there's basically zero left at this point.

Plus, I don't think the players buy into it. They actually looked so much worse in the second half that I have to question what was said in the dressing room.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SneijderOranje View Post
    I was sitting directly in line and he beat the offside trap. Not offside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I estimated it would take 5 games before we get some regular cohesion among the players. I don't expect we'll see results before April - at that point the players should have either bought in and understood the system, or gotten frustrated and checked out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah! Another stat for the record book...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Yeah! Another stat for the record book...

Yay for BM and BB! I guess MB helped. Yay for BMBBMB!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree.

That sub reeked of desperation to get the player mins to help with the next string of matches, not dealing with the match in front of them. At that point we were getting outpaced. Servania was one of the few keeping up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edit: Looks, by the shade/cut of the grass, to be onside by a foot/toe (his) @ 22sec.! Siggi last man. Matt out of position?

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 03-12-2023 at 02:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edit: Looks, by the shade/cut of the grass, to be onside by a foot/toe (his) @ 22sec.! Siggi last man. Matt out of position?

It looked offside from the stands and I was pretty close to Medrana. You have a linesman in position right there, let him make the play. The idea that play should be halted (in the freezing cold) for 5 mins while a ref trots over to a tiny screen just in front of 1000s of supporters and squints under heavy night lighting is foolishness. Not only does it kill the game and the experience of watching the game live but the linesman is in a much better position to make that call.

Our culture’s devotion to (often inadequate) technology is laughable. Football is an old and human game, why not leave it that way. to me that’s part of the attraction.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    It looked offside from the stands and I was pretty close to Medrana. You have a linesman in position right there, let him make the play. The idea that play should be halted (in the freezing cold) for 5 mins while a ref trots over to a tiny screen just in front of 1000s of supporters and squints under heavy night lighting is foolishness. Not only does it kill the game and the experience of watching the game live but the linesman is in a much better position to make that call.

Our culture’s devotion to (often inadequate) technology is laughable. Football is an old and human game, why not leave it that way. to me that’s part of the attraction.
    Nobody pointed out that Columbus has 2 players looking over the ref's shoulder as he did the check. Not a TFC player in sight.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    It looked offside from the stands and I was pretty close to Medrana. You have a linesman in position right there, let him make the play. The idea that play should be halted (in the freezing cold) for 5 mins while a ref trots over to a tiny screen just in front of 1000s of supporters and squints under heavy night lighting is foolishness. Not only does it kill the game and the experience of watching the game live but the linesman is in a much better position to make that call. Our culture’s devotion to (often inadequate) technology is laughable. Football is an old and human game, why not leave it that way. to me that’s part of the attraction.
    I thought it was off-side at first as well. However, in an effort to avoid 'The Lee Mason' (gaffe), did the line test on the monitor and... Edit.

Understand and am sympathetic to your position. I grew up in a SerieA household, where the following days after weekend matches, at the dinner table, bar or social club discussions were infinite about newspaper articles, television sports programming, analyzing the legitimacy of questionable goals, stoppages, off-sides or not, and awarded or not penalties. I do not forget nor miss those days. The overwhelming frustration. Is VAR perfect; absolutely not! Better than what was? On the whole, I think so. Trying, making an effort, to get the right call, with today's technology, matters in of itself.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 03-12-2023 at 05:17 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Nobody pointed out that Columbus has 2 players looking over the ref's shoulder as he did the check. Not a TFC player in sight.

Yeh, I watched that & the remonstrations made by the CBus players when the ref said certain things - I remain shocked that a member of the officiating crew doesn't come over & police that boundary.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yeh, I watched that & the remonstrations made by the CBus players when the ref said certain things - I remain shocked that a member of the officiating crew doesn't come over & police that boundary.
    I've seen players in Euro leagues get yellows for less than what he 2 Crew players did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought it was off-side at first as well. However, in an effort to avoid 'The Lee Mason' (gaffe), did the line test on the monitor and... Edit.

Understand and am sympathetic to your position. I grew up in a SerieA household, where the following days after weekend matches, at the dinner table, bar or social club discussions were infinite about newspaper articles, television sports programming, analyzing the legitimacy of questionable goals, stoppages, off-sides or not, and awarded or not penalties. I do not forget nor miss those days. The overwhelming frustration. Is VAR perfect; absolutely not! Better than what was? On the whole, I think so. Trying, making an effort, to get the right call, with today's technology, matters in of itself.
    I can’t agree. If today’s tech is inadequate it shouldn’t be used. As someone who made something of a living looking at and editing on video screens I think there is real ingenuousness at work here. The conditions for the ref are not good to begin with.

Beyond that I admit that, for me, one of the joys of football is that it doesn’t happen on a screen like so much of contemporary life. I prefer it be kept that way. VAR is not a rules tweak it is a big shift in the ecology of the game.

If one wants perfect football (and I think the intercession of video tech is an attempt to escape human error) you don’t have football. Humans make mistakes. Why interrupt the all-important flow of a match to make an often wrong pronouncement? We have trained officials who can do that on the fly. The idea of keeping the flag down while injuries occur so that things can be checked later away from real time is part of this foolishness. Football should happen in real time, the human mistakes and brilliance too.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 03-12-2023 at 10:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    VAR is still loaded with human error but there is the misconception that because it involves a special technology it escapes such things. For me it unnecessarily complicates and cheapens the game (which is to say the players, officials and fans).
    Last edited by los sonadores; 03-12-2023 at 10:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone understand, or have any insight or update on, the situations/status of Raoul and Siggi; even Sean?
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 03-13-2023 at 05:35 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone understand, or have any insight or update on, the situations/status of Raoul and Siggi; even Sean?
    We will get an update this coming Saturday at around 7:10pm.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The issue I have with VAR is the same issue I have with replay in most sports. I think the NFL is closest to doing it properly (although there are still issues).

Unless I am mistaken, VAR is supposed to correct clear and obvious errors. If you cannot tell almost immediately that the call was wrong then it should stand as called in the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course, early days. However, the quality (or lack thereof) has been downright painful to watch.