Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Are there any glimmers of hope for next season?

Watching TFC this season has been soul-draining. I have hope that Herdman can the the damaged psyche of this club and fix it, and I have some hope that Hernandez can use analytics properly to create at least a competitive team. But with Manning still being at the helm with final decision-making authority, my doubts just win out. What hope do you see for next year, based on what we've seen so far this season?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, it looks like Manning may have learned his lesson, and will leave the roster decisions to people who actually know what they are doing.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    For me, it looks like Manning may have learned his lesson, and will leave the roster decisions to people who actually know what they are doing.

Are you sure? the hire was lazy than each one previously- as Herman did all the heavy lifting.

Even if he stays out of it- Hernandez and Herdman have ZERO experience in their respective roles- do you think they know what they are doing - Ibbara on loan and ends early is one example.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    Even if he stays out of it- Hernandez and Herdman have ZERO experience in their respective roles- do you think they know what they are doing - Ibbara on loan and ends early is one example.
    Hernandez I am not sure about. Jury out on him but I don't have a lot of faith in him at all.

As for Herdman, he is the coach basically. In that role he has experience. Not at a club team but it's the same deal as his previous gigs and we're probably lucky he did all the heavy lifting or who knows who Manning would have hired. I wouldn't have ruled out Fraser or even Vanney if he had this off season to decide. Decision would have been based on the calculated bump in ticket sales the hire could potentially provide.

As for the Ibarra loan, well that's an (X) in the Hernandez column for continuing the trend of doing easy moves without considering attitude, character, and/or fit. Herdman gets a (+) for ending that loan. Most coaches would have rode that out with only one match left but he saw that it's pointless and that we have a team of many idiots who have gotten away with shit behavior without consequence and that it had to stop. So he sent a message by sending him home and saying that this attitude won't be tolerated going forward. Our young guys needed to hear & see that and realize that there will finally be standards on and off the pitch.

Also knowing Herdman, I say he tries to advance his role in time. I figure Hernandez on borrowed time.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 10-23-2023 at 09:30 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Hernandez is basically either on his way out or will be kept on as a capologist. I don't expect him to be making the roster decisions.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I think Hernandez is basically either on his way out or will be kept on as a capologist. I don't expect him to be making the roster decisions.
    Is there a distinction in MLS? I see an MLS capoloigist as being the person making roster decisions, if not I'm not entirely sure what we'd expect him to do

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    Is there a distinction in MLS? I see an MLS capoloigist as being the person making roster decisions, if not I'm not entirely sure what we'd expect him to do
    It exists. That's how Bez started until he was promoted. It's probably a smarter idea to split that role because the roster rules and mechanisms in MLS are stupid and difficult to follow or keep track of. Better to utilize a bean counter for that part of it and leave the team building to football minds that are uncluttered with the words TAM and allocation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My thought is, our only hope is Herdman turns out to be a good coach and somehow outweighs the stupid that weighs this organization down elsewhere.

Otherwise, not expecting any improvements. We’ll probably meander through next season or end up with some mediocre level of performance that allows Bill to keep his job and prolong our suffering.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    end up with some mediocre level of performance
    This is honestly the best we can hope for at this point along with effort, running, and a better idea on how to play.

We've been shit so long now that I'll take mediocre. I forgot what those heights felt like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    This is honestly the best we can hope for at this point along with effort, running, and a better idea on how to play.

We've been shit so long now that I'll take mediocre. I forgot what those heights felt like.

you shouldnt need to accept mediocrity due to ineptence

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But it will take a while to dig out of this three year crevace we're mired in. No way that can happen in one offseason.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sean rubio will have a huge role in the squad building you'd think.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the over/under number on CMNT or ex CMNT players that will be on the team?

5?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    What is the over/under number on CMNT or ex CMNT players that will be on the team?

5?
    I'm going to say less than that because there aren't enough good, available ones but I forsee a high number of CONCACAF players coming in.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Herdman strongly indicated in his presser last week that JH & others are heavily involved in roster decisions with much prep already been done.

I suspect it's going to be consensus based decision making.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Herdman strongly indicated in his presser last week that JH & others are heavily involved in roster decisions with much prep already been done.

I suspect it's going to be consensus based decision making.
    I suspect Ensco is right, though, which is why Guitierrez was playing wing last week, even though he's shown us nothing.

I'll start getting nervous if he brings Liam Fraser back. He has been abjectly "a body" in Dallas.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These guys need to sell tickets. Here is my prediction:

Oso
    Fraser
    Laryea
    K Miller
    Crepeau

+

…..

Larin, tada!

Atiba in a serious mgmt capacity, and Doneil as an member of the staff somewhere
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oso
    Fraser
    Laryea
    K Miller
    Crepeau

+

…..

Larin, tada!

Atiba in a serious mgmt capacity, and Doneil as an member of the staff somewhere
    I'd take Larin!

But in general, if they're still signing players based on short term fan service and not getting results then they will, as they did at the end of this year (unless you want to pretend 27k were there on Saturday), spectacularly fail to both gets results and sell tickets.

You want to sell tickets? Win. Passports don't sell tickets for longer than 3 months, tops. Jozy Altidore wasn't bought to sell a single ticket due to fan service, but he did, when he made us a winner. Nobody bought a ticket to that play off run or throughout that season because of his passport or past time with the club, they bought it because we had a team that could win

Manning needs to read the 'definition of insanity'

Saying that, if we get a Larin whose fully committed to being here, I won't complain
    Last edited by JoesphNdo; 10-23-2023 at 02:35 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oso
    Fraser
    Laryea
    K Miller
    Crepeau

+

…..

Larin, tada!

I thought I heard Miami extended K Miller on a pre-game a week or two ago through 2026. Highly doubt he leaves Miami and Messi to come to Toronto for Herdman..

As good as Laryea is and I would love to have him back. Probably best if we cut ties and don't bring him in as he would be expensive and we could fill out other roster positions with that money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if this is the route they are taking,im sure glad i didnt renew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would anyone seriously buy a ticket to see Liam Fraser clog up the midfield?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair, nobody is. It just so happens telcos and builders appear to be excellent at ignoring their customers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd take Larin!

But in general, if they're still signing players based on short term fan service and not getting results then they will, as they did at the end of this year (unless you want to pretend 27k were there on Saturday), spectacularly fail to both gets results and sell tickets.

You want to sell tickets? Win. Passports don't sell tickets for longer than 3 months, tops. Jozy Altidore wasn't bought to sell a single ticket due to fan service, but he did, when he made us a winner. Nobody bought a ticket to that play off run or throughout that season because of his passport or past time with the club, they bought it because we had a team that could win

Manning needs to read the 'definition of insanity'

Saying that, if we get a Larin whose fully committed to being here, I won't complain
    I’ve gone full circle on Larin about 3x. It’s my overall conclusion he’s going to be an up-and-down player for his whole career. Whether he stinks or succeeds seems to have nothing to do with the league and everything to do with his motivation or other factors.

He could come here and score 20 for fun. Or, he could pull a Mallorca, show up fat and out of shape and be on a long road to produce nothing.

I’d pass. Give me someone reliable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Would anyone seriously buy a ticket to see Liam Fraser clog up the midfield?
    On the bright side if we toss out a midfield of Osorio, Coello, & Fraser we could retain our spot as the slowest midfield in MLS.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canadians don't sell tickets unless they are Euro stars.

There is no market for a league team filled with Canadians.

Latin might move that needle a bit but realistically, there are only 2 Canadians that would get butts into seats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I’ve gone full circle on Larin about 3x. It’s my overall conclusion he’s going to be an up-and-down player for his whole career. Whether he stinks or succeeds seems to have nothing to do with the league and everything to do with his motivation or other factors.

He could come here and score 20 for fun. Or, he could pull a Mallorca, show up fat and out of shape and be on a long road to produce nothing.

I’d pass. Give me someone reliable.
    Yeah the "fully committed to being here" caveat is large on this one. If La Liga and his last ever shot at the big time isn't motivating him, I really don't see how playing for the worst team in MLS would

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah the "fully committed to being here" caveat is large on this one. If La Liga and his last ever shot at the big time isn't motivating him, I really don't see how playing for the worst team in MLS would
    I would pass on him. He is a risk of being another high cost bust.

I just hope we don't try to be CMNT Pro because of Herdman or he'll be the next guy out the door in 2025 and we'll be rebuilding again with the latest crew of 'getting us back where we belong' coaches and managers that Manning selected.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Larin is probably running out of good options in Europe soon. Feels like the DP striker on, say, 2.5-3M, to me. Just a guess.

Miller is not an obvious fit for Miami, he uses too much cap space for the role. Tata will believe he can find a decent Uruguayan or Argentine who can do the job for $500K a year and will come solely to play with God. I think Miami signed Miller to move him for lots of GAM. He could very easily wind up elsewhere, not TFC, for sure.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JH was all in on analytics based recruitment approach - presumably, Rubio was brought back to include that. I would think any attempt by Herdman to go "well I like this guy because of his CONCACAF/CMNT spirit" is going to have to be backed up by something in terms of analytics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    JH was all in on analytics based recruitment approach - presumably, Rubio was brought back to include that. I would think any attempt by Herdman to go "well I like this guy because of his CONCACAF/CMNT spirit" is going to have to be backed up by something in terms of analytics.
    Yep, he had good analytics people, for sure. But he also booted personalities that he thought weren’t good for the team. Most notably Arfield but I’m sure there were others around the margins he left out as well for similar reasons.